Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Civilization Online: Fun is the Basic Ingredient

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Civilization series of strategy titles has been a huge worldwide hit over the years. XLGames is ready to bring Civilization Online to the world to continue that success but in a more traditional MMORPG format. We had a chance to interview the team. See what they had to say about the sandbox MMO and its North American release in our exclusive chat.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Civilization Online: Fun is the Basic Ingredient.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• nebb1234nebb1234 Member Posts: 242
    oh snap!!!! I remember those vids from the korean beta floating around these forums a few months ago? Innnnnnteresssssting
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Pay careful attention to how they monetized it. This is XL Games, so it could be called Cash Shop online.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    after xlgames and trion did with arcehage, I think I will not look on this game or anygame comming from both again
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

Looking forward to this game, especially as a Civ fan. I like how the developer tries to innovate rather than copy.

I fear though that a western release of this title may be at least two years away.

• TekmonTekmon Member UncommonPosts: 28

"Leveling-up a character is the main goal of an MMORPG" 

No, that is the product of crappy game design.  Leveling should serve as a tutorial for the real game content.  It should not be a "feature".

• MadunqsMadunqs Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by alkarionlog
    after xlgames and trion did with arcehage, I think I will not look on this game or anygame comming from both again
    I thought the same thing. I was actually kind of sad being a huge CIV fan lol

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by Tekmon

No, that is the product of crappy game design.  Leveling should serve as a tutorial for the real game content.  It should not be a "feature".

That's just your opinion. I think leveling is there to represent the journey of the character from novice to expert and not as a tutorial for an end-game grind.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Look fun, but i just hope it isnt a free game that cost more money than a sub to have that fun.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Hmmm... XLGames ?

The monetization potential in this design is phenomenal.

During each "campaign", players belonging to the various "nations" will be racing to beat the other nations to victory. So any convenience items that can speed-up your progress will be in tremendous demand. And once a nation "wins" the campaign, everything is re-set and you start the race all over again !

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    So this game is being made for the Korean market, and is closed beta.  Chances are America and Europe won't see this game for YEARS.  Might as well forget about it, as they won't care about getting it to us unless they can make a ton of money off it in Korea first.
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Tekmon

Ah, you're one of those that think that "end-game" is the main point of any MMO and everything else is considered pointless.  Am I correct? I'll assume so.  That is an asinine way of looking at the games with a one track goal that easily ignores a good 50%+ chunk of the game.

MMORPGs are, by definition and name sake, massive multiple online Role Playing Games.  That means they're about character development and the adventures s/he goes on.  They're not strictly about "getting phat lutz" and "raids!" and whatever.   The answer of "What came first: The RPG or the raid?" is easily found to be the RPG.   Raids and end-game are nothing more than a product of having a super bad guy that the heroes, who grew within the game's world, must now come together to defeat.    It's the mainstreaming and appeasing of the Instant Gratification Generation that has twisted it into some ultra point that wipes most of the rest of the game design off the map.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't like the design idea at all,reminds me of games like my Hearthstone for example using the SEASON title,i hate ideas ripped off of Television.Everywhere i look now someone is calling their TV show or Game Seasons 1 2 3 4 ect ect.Sessions ...same thing to me.

I am trying to grasp my brain around WHY they would want sessions in their game,it carries such a negative effect.All one has to do is look around for example at WOW.Why do you think gamer's go back,it is because they can't let go of all their levels and items,nobody wants to start all over,well unless the game s i really fun and i have yet to see that for quite some time.

Even still the whole premise of a rpg is to live out the role of a certain character and to grow over time .Spending countless hours to build a character then just dump it off for the new season "session" is an idea i believe will not work.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by brihtwulf
    So this game is being made for the Korean market, and is closed beta.  Chances are America and Europe won't see this game for YEARS.  Might as well forget about it, as they won't care about getting it to us unless they can make a ton of money off it in Korea first.

It took ~2 years (please correct me if I am wrong) for ArcheAge to make it from Korea to the US. It is likely that they would desire a similar migration timeframe for this game as well. I also suspect that Trion will not take a swing at this one, after having (hopefully) learned their lesson with ArcheAge.

• SamkossSamkoss Member UncommonPosts: 4
    With enough interest, west will see this game, faster than the usual 2+ years, there are so many good MMO´s coming from Korea and the interest is growing. The game itself looks interesting, as a concept at least.
  • dpskatodpskato Member Posts: 1

XLGames? Wouldn't touch it with someone else's 10 foot bargepole.

"Greed is the basic ingredient"

• dramdrumdramdrum Member CommonPosts: 6

XLGAMES?!?!?

lol, it is obvious that it is going to be a blatant cash grab, just like Archeage was.

Stay away from this one.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Seriously... Does EVERYTHING have to be made into an MMO? I love the civilization games. I have extensively played every one of the games and expansions. Civ 5 is my most played game on steam, but enough is enough. Not every game needs to be made into a MMO or online experience (cough, Sim City, cough).

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Looks like a game w/ potential.

I hope they keep true to their statements and are not just using them as buzz words. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on this one!

• kerigarkerigar Member UncommonPosts: 73

Who in their right mind is going to play a game created by a company that FAILED SO MISERABLY at getting Archeage off the ground.

Civ wasnt meant to be online like this....This is not Civ,  lets just let XLgames make a mockery of another title...

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Superman0X
    Originally posted by brihtwulf

It took ~2 years (please correct me if I am wrong) for ArcheAge to make it from Korea to the US. It is likely that they would desire a similar migration timeframe for this game as well. I also suspect that Trion will not take a swing at this one, after having (hopefully) learned their lesson with ArcheAge.

I think this game may actually reach the NA/EU market in record time. The Civilisation franchise is huge in the western market, so it will attract a great deal of attention. They need to capitalise on that IP while the game is fresh.

• IridescentJoeIridescentJoe Member Posts: 89
    sabotage? how? I need details >:)
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    XL Games.... AA... passing on this cash grab.
  • ldhenderson1995ldhenderson1995 Member Posts: 6
    "There is no doubt that ArcheAge is the epitome of a MMORPG"....just...no
  • MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148

XL games? No thanks. Even with a trusted developer and publisher? Don't see the point of a Civilization MMO.

• CruizerkeCruizerke Member UncommonPosts: 68

All I had to see was XL Games. No way I am touching this. The perfect company to ruin the name of a loved franchise.

Looking at their record with ArcheAge alone, 3 Betas, 3 releases, many of the same issues in the third release that was there from the start of the Beta for the first release years before.

Free or not, never touching anything with XL Games on it again.