Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fantasy steampunk setting?

DwarfuriousDwarfurious Member UncommonPosts: 25
How is it that with 9 "distinct" races... in a STEAMPUNK setting... You dont have Gnomes OR Dwarves but DO have some half naked busty Drow? In fact, one of the races sounds like Gnomes and Elves combined. Throw in that four of the "Distinct" races are Humans, i'd call that false advertisement and an insult to good fantasy. 

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by DoomsDain
    How is it that with 9 "distinct" races... in a STEAMPUNK setting... You dont have Gnomes OR Dwarves but DO have some half naked busty Drow? In fact, one of the races sounds like Gnomes and Elves combined. Throw in that four of the "Distinct" races are Humans, i'd call that false advertisement and an insult to good fantasy. 

What is cool about fantasy is that it is anything you want it to be!  If you develop a game, you can have whatever race you want or don't want! GW2 is a good example of a fantasy game without gnomes or dwarves! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DwarfuriousDwarfurious Member UncommonPosts: 25

No, no its not. They had Dwarves but killed them off, albeit super heroically. What they have are Dragons (super original villain). The asura are the Gnomes, the sylvan are the elves and the charr are the dwarves/orcs, sort of a mix. Furries themselves are a very popular race too now, most mmo's have a token furry race. 

They do this for diversity, they need archtypes to fill because different archtypes have different fans. They need an X-Like race to appeal to them so they will of course be familiar. I'd play GW2 again if i could be a Dwarf though.

Thats why its a problem though, people who like Steampunk probably already like races who are often associated with Steampunk, Dwarves and Gnomes. Elves, even in a steampunk world, do not use it and prefer magic. So odd..

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250

This game is bad but steampunk fantasy sounds like a cool idea. A lot of fantasy mmorpgs have steampunk stuff anyway. WoW has motorcycles.