Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: PAX South Shaping Up to Reveal Big Things

2»

Comments

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298

Even if there's an expansion incoming for Guild Wars 2, which will eventually happen, do we really want to go back to the same 1 sided direction, in terms of managing a game?

Do we still want  some superficial stuff added and then another 2 years of grief and pain ?

From my point of view and according to their pre-release promises, GW2 was supposed to revolutionize the genre and not only, which never happened - so unless this expansion is ready to correct to those missed promises, they can very well keep working  with blindfolds over their eyes and totally ignore their player's feedback and suggestions. 

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

mmos are so boring,you buy play a month maybe and then they try and recoup their money by pushing a old game nobody is interested in anymore.

make rpg games that you can play with one or two like dark souls mush cheaper and what players want!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    @stevebombsquad the Chinese gw2 site said they are merging servers.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by iGumballStar
    Originally posted by raapnaap
    Originally posted by Pemmin

"beyond the point of no return" <---- sounds like NCsoft is pulling the plug lol

on a serious note....better be an expansion 

Very unlikely seeing as GW2 is one of their only successful titles.

This game still has a massive amount of players playing it, something that gets obvious pretty quickly if you log in and play a little while. At this point I'd argue it has the daily player activity levels closely matching WoW today (post-WoD launch).

For example I can go to GW2 boss events and literally find several full maps with people doing them, but then I could go and do a daily garrison quest in WoW on a very busy server and maybe only find 20 people still doing them. GW2 wins the race for the casual MMO gamer, no contest, so I imagine it is quite profitable for both ArenaNet and NCSoft.

That being said, for GW2 to become my game again, it would need an expansion the size of GW2 campaigns; 20 new zones, new classes (new races being optional), new content mechanics, more levels... And wishful thinking, an abandonment of Ascended gear.

You aren't seriously comparing the populations of WoW and GW2 are you? image GW2 had an okay retention rate, but many of the servers before the "megaservers" came into being were quite empty.

None MMO title can be compared to WoW though. GW2's population is still one of the biggest in the western MMO industry.

Where are you getting your numbers? SWTOR and FF14 seem to both be doing quite well. FF14 hasn't had to merge servers, and is even moving some to provide better service. ArenaNet has never posted numbers, only total sold. It is really difficult to tell how it is doing with the "megaservers." It is profitable so I suppose it doesn't really matter. 

SWTOR's population actually tanked on the launch of AA. I was playing that very night and the republic fleet station went from full to empty in matter of minutes. Haven't seen it crowded since then. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I've been back since SoR and it's as populated as it's ever been as far as I can see.
  • parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Loke666

Where are you getting your numbers? SWTOR and FF14 seem to both be doing quite well. FF14 hasn't had to merge servers, and is even moving some to provide better service. ArenaNet has never posted numbers, only total sold. It is really difficult to tell how it is doing with the "megaservers." It is profitable so I suppose it doesn't really matter. 

Few MMOs present active subscriber numbers today, and even when they do they might not all count the same way.

GW2 must be doing pretty good because ANET is actually larger now then a few months before release.

Compare that to a game doing badly, like Mythic after the launch of WAR. They started the downsizing very fast and siraled downwards until they got closed.

It would not surprise me at all if FF XIV have more active players though, it is if nothing else huge in Japan while GW2 seems to be selling somewhat better in China then here.

TOR was doing pretty badly a while but have turned things around and seems to cash in plenty now. If that is because it have many players or that most players do sub and buy a lot of stuff is more then I know though.

Anyways, all 3 games are surely on the top 10 most played MMOs in the West so calling them a failure would be silly even if FFs launch were rather crappy and TOR needed some work to get it's playerbase.

I don't see what any of it have to do much with the topic besides that GW2 needs a new expansion or campaign if it wants to grow much.

i also think it is going to be campaign rather than a traditional expansion.

also all these games doing fine,that is all thats matter,as long as the game has healthy population and make good enough profit everything is ok. stop the pointless discussion.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by BailoPan15

"beyond the point of no return" <---- sounds like NCsoft is pulling the plug lol

This game still has a massive amount of players playing it, something that gets obvious pretty quickly if you log in and play a little while. At this point I'd argue it has the daily player activity levels closely matching WoW today (post-WoD launch).

For example I can go to GW2 boss events and literally find several full maps with people doing them, but then I could go and do a daily garrison quest in WoW on a very busy server and maybe only find 20 people still doing them. GW2 wins the race for the casual MMO gamer, no contest, so I imagine it is quite profitable for both ArenaNet and NCSoft.

That being said, for GW2 to become my game again, it would need an expansion the size of GW2 campaigns; 20 new zones, new classes (new races being optional), new content mechanics, more levels... And wishful thinking, an abandonment of Ascended gear.

You aren't seriously comparing the populations of WoW and GW2 are you? image GW2 had an okay retention rate, but many of the servers before the "megaservers" came into being were quite empty.

None MMO title can be compared to WoW though. GW2's population is still one of the biggest in the western MMO industry.

SWTOR's population actually tanked on the launch of AA. I was playing that very night and the republic fleet station went from full to empty in matter of minutes. Haven't seen it crowded since then. 

While you guys are discussing the publisher-provided numbers, I only stated the observations a player can make by logging into either game.

WoW may have many servers but if logging into one of the busiest ones still shows less players than in an instanced game like GW2 then I'm starting to wonder who truly has more active daily logins, considering WoW's low population 'merged' realms are typically far more empty than the populated ones.

This observation is given solidification by the fact that GW2 has much more casually accessible content than WoW does, and WoD has now become nothing but a daily set of garrison clicks and logging in for raids or PvP. WoW has nothing to offer for the casual audience once they reached level 100, did some dungeons, and completed what little open world content the game has to offer.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

if NC hasnt pulled the plug on Wildstar i doubt GW2 is anywhere near that point.

But yes, i hope its an expansion too.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

While you guys are discussing the publisher-provided numbers, I only stated the observations a player can make by logging into either game.

WoW may have many servers but if logging into one of the busiest ones still shows less players than in an instanced game like GW2 then I'm starting to wonder who truly has more active daily logins, considering WoW's low population 'merged' realms are typically far more empty than the populated ones.

This observation is given solidification by the fact that GW2 has much more casually accessible content than WoW does, and WoD has now become nothing but a daily set of garrison clicks and logging in for raids or PvP. WoW has nothing to offer for the casual audience once they reached level 100, did some dungeons, and completed what little open world content the game has to offer.

There is no "wonder" to that...not even an inkling of wonder. Also, I am not a WoW fanbois, but comparing the amount of casual content in WoW to GW2 is almost laughable. WoW is the king of casual. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

There is no "wonder" to that...not even an inkling of wonder. Also, I am not a WoW fanbois, but comparing the amount of casual content in WoW to GW2 is almost laughable. WoW is the king of casual. 

Then enlighten me, what would a casual player do in WoW once he reached the level cap?

Raid? Nothing casual about that. They could do LFR but that only entertains you for up to two hour per week.

PvP? Other than running around in Ashran a little the other PvP modes require steady gear grinding in order to not fall behind or get stomped by people in better gear. Plus the fact that PvP in general requires a lot more know-how on the player's part, something casuals don't get into.

Garrisons? These have an initial 'wow' factor but very quickly boils down to a daily set of clicks and nothing more.

Questing: Once you reached level 100 the game has no quest content left besides 1 short daily and 1 short weekly quest 'chain' which all-in-all amounts to very little play time.

Start all over again with an alt? Not everyone's cup of tea and repeating the same content over and over isn't going to entertain everyone for a consistent amount of time.

Do old content? This requires both know-how that casuals don't often posses, as well as the willingness to bother doing old content.

Now I'm not attacking either game here, I in fact play both games: I raid Highmaul on Heroic in WoW and played it since vanilla, but I've also messed around in GW2 since it launched. My honest opinion - as well as that from a good number of typical casual people I know in real life - the preference of the casual player goes to GW2 for it's greater accessibility of content, and not to mention, no subscription fee for what appears to be more content while Blizzard charges these players for less content.

On a final note, WoD only sold between 3 to 4 million copies according to Blizzard's last report, GW2 has sold more copies than that. Granted both reports are by now a little dated. That is all I got left to say on the matter.

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

Both games are extremely casual, but I agree that GW2 definitely appeals more to the casual player.  Everything about the game is designed around casual, "play as often as you like" gameplay.  Nothing at all wrong with that.  

However, anyone even trying to suggest that GW2 has more active people playing it, or busier servers, is laughably blind.  I play on a medium, at-best, pop server in WoW, and it's ALWAYS much more populated than the server I play on in GW2.  It's not even close.  And GW2 is one of the more populated games I've played.  Very healthy population compared to most MMOs.  Not nearly in the same league as WoW, though.  So anyone trying to imply GW2 even "appears" more populated than WoW is probably talking out of their ass a bit.  

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Hmm. Well I don't trust Arenanet enough right now to get hyped. Don't get me wrong, they are a fantastic studio and gw2 is good game. But they're capable more than the living story crap so far.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• XyndiusXyndius Member Posts: 2

Seriously guys, all I'm hearing lately is that GW2 needs an expansion. What for? The game is constantly evolving, providing us with new, deeper living story - all for free!

PvP is changing, we have several new events and player-driven initiatives - all for free.

You really need a big paid expansion just to get a new class, create new character and discover the whole map from scratch?

Seriously, that would ruin my GW2 experience, because I simply do not have the time to do it all again since I'm mature, working, having a family etc.

Maybe that's the whole point. Maybe ArenaNet is focusing more on casual players and not a bunch of kids who can play 24/7 and complete all the content and achievements in a week.

I'm all for casual gaming and I hope that ArenaNet will continue their development model as it is in its current state.

• RivolRivol Member UncommonPosts: 79

Well AA has tanked and both the imp and pub fleets are full again on swtor...go figure.

On topic, nothing short of a full expansion into Cantha or Elona would bring me back playing again. Oh and I'd love to see random 4x4 deathmatch again. God I miss the original guild wars....

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

Then enlighten me, what would a casual player do in WoW once he reached the level cap?

Raid? Nothing casual about that. They could do LFR but that only entertains you for up to two hour per week.

PvP? Other than running around in Ashran a little the other PvP modes require steady gear grinding in order to not fall behind or get stomped by people in better gear. Plus the fact that PvP in general requires a lot more know-how on the player's part, something casuals don't get into.

Garrisons? These have an initial 'wow' factor but very quickly boils down to a daily set of clicks and nothing more.

Questing: Once you reached level 100 the game has no quest content left besides 1 short daily and 1 short weekly quest 'chain' which all-in-all amounts to very little play time.

Start all over again with an alt? Not everyone's cup of tea and repeating the same content over and over isn't going to entertain everyone for a consistent amount of time.

Do old content? This requires both know-how that casuals don't often posses, as well as the willingness to bother doing old content.

Now I'm not attacking either game here, I in fact play both games: I raid Highmaul on Heroic in WoW and played it since vanilla, but I've also messed around in GW2 since it launched. My honest opinion - as well as that from a good number of typical casual people I know in real life - the preference of the casual player goes to GW2 for it's greater accessibility of content, and not to mention, no subscription fee for what appears to be more content while Blizzard charges these players for less content.

On a final note, WoD only sold between 3 to 4 million copies according to Blizzard's last report, GW2 has sold more copies than that. Granted both reports are by now a little dated. That is all I got left to say on the matter.

Really.... Purchased does not equal playing in the case of GW2. The three million for WoW was in the first week. A whole lot of people quit playing. As far as content goes, what is there to do in GW2 after level cap and having ascended gear a legendary? Replay dungeons or events? The biggest complaint about GW2 is the lack of content. The fours hours of content they release in each episode of the living story is laughable. Troll harder or return to your dream world.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by Varex12

Both games are extremely casual, but I agree that GW2 definitely appeals more to the casual player.  Everything about the game is designed around casual, "play as often as you like" gameplay.  Nothing at all wrong with that.  

However, anyone even trying to suggest that GW2 has more active people playing it, or busier servers, is laughably blind.  I play on a medium, at-best, pop server in WoW, and it's ALWAYS much more populated than the server I play on in GW2.  It's not even close.  And GW2 is one of the more populated games I've played.  Very healthy population compared to most MMOs.  Not nearly in the same league as WoW, though.  So anyone trying to imply GW2 even "appears" more populated than WoW is probably talking out of their ass a bit.  

I guess you haven't logged in awhile, since you still talk about "my" server and whatnot. Tsk, tsk, poor way to give an opinion that's quite dated. 

• iGumballStariGumballStar Member UncommonPosts: 106

What game releases numbers nowadays aside from WoW?

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    just another post wishing for an expansion release and not a new season of living story ...