Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

game ratings and reviews (poll)

I was just checking out the game reviews of several different MMORPG's online, and I realized something: many, MANY of them are negative, and go on and on about the several bugs. Does anyone else agree with me in saying that these sites (IGN.com, Gamespot.com, etc) should continuously review these games, say once a year? So many MMORPG's that start out bad end up being truly amazing. What do you think?

-----------------------------------
Homer: "I'm feelin' low, Apu. You got any of that beer that has candy floating in it, you know, Skittlebrau?"

Apu: "Such a product does not exist, sir! You must have dreamed it."

Homer: "Oh. Well then just gimme a six-pack and a couple of bags of Skittles."

3GZ673CF

Comments

• thegravyboatthegravyboat Member Posts: 89

yea good point, I mean the intial reaction is always going to be different then the final reaction (6 months) down the road.  But those big sites arent about tell'n the whole truth, just about the next $.  They want you to click on "buy this now on ebgames.com" and get us our 50 cents.  

This site rules I think, just becuase most of the ratings are all player base, people who have dedicated a good amount of time to the games. 

~Best thing since sliced bread

~Best thing since sliced bread

SWG-Ahazi- Kovoa DE/DOC
    AC-Morningtha- Fou-Lu lvl 79 UA/LIFE

• EykeEyke Member Posts: 60
    i like it image

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

Perhaps reviews should drop off after awhile?

Making MMORPG score based on reviews within the last X months. The problem is old MMORPG wouldn't have any reviews at all. And the smaller your poll base the more inaccurate it will become.

90% of MMORPG's start out very poorly... normally released 6 months before it's ready. After a year it becomes a great game. The rating system should accommodate this.

-=-=-=-=-
    "Playing EQ to the highend is like getting hit in the head over and over. When the hitting stops you start to miss the dizzy feeling. The lack of this "dizzy feeling" will ruin you to other MMORPG's"

A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50%

Games and players have a type. What type are you? click here

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• THAILETHAILE Member Posts: 14

Thats a great idea. Theres nothing worse than reading a review from nine months ago that bashes the game only to find out that they made signifacnt changes to it.

• elbarto69elbarto69 Member Posts: 73

One game that is a definite instance of this is World War II Online. The highest score I've seen it get was a 66 out of 100. Every review is about 3 years old (when the game came out), and the scores get as low as 1/5, 4/10, and I even saw a few 0 stars. Most cited the game's bugginess, poor gameplay, and terrible server problems. But now there is absolutely none of that, so isn't it in a way an entirely new game? Games like these definitely need new reviews.

-----------------------------------
    Homer: "I'm feelin' low, Apu. You got any of that beer that has candy floating in it, you know, Skittlebrau?"

Apu: "Such a product does not exist, sir! You must have dreamed it."

Homer: "Oh. Well then just gimme a six-pack and a couple of bags of Skittles."

3GZ673CF
    thats the problem i am having, looking for a new mmorpg, but reading reviews from 9+ months ago...kinda a pain in the astrit

• ClandestineClandestine Member UncommonPosts: 91
    I think MMORPGs should be reviewed at least once a quarter. With all the changes made in them, they can drastically improve or worsen very quickly. For examples look at Anarchy Online, Shadowbane, and Star Wars Galaxies.

i think every game has done that at one point image

• ImsneakyImsneaky Member Posts: 138

I agree 100%.  I think the reason you find so many negative posts, though is that some people take things way too seriously.  I mena we all know that many of the MMOLG's today are new territory.  They aren't following the tried and true scripts of your average shoebox game.

Because of this, the developers often poll and interact with their community more so than other games.  This is a double edged sword because some people then think that because they are asked for their opinion that the game should become exactly what they want it to become.

Well the problem with that is that there are thousands of other people who are offering their opinion too and what they want and what the developers want might be different than what you want.

Well some people get their feelings hurt and then start acting like a baby and it escelates from there till they are driven from the game and forums by the community or the developers.

This happened a number of times with WWIIOL but the most famous instance is a guy named Blair.  He would even create extra accounts so that he could use those other accounts to make it seem as if he had alot of support for his ideas.

Problem is he wanted WWIIOL to be like Quake and was not shy about saying so.  Anyone who knows anything about WWIIOL and Quake knows that they are polar opposites.  SO he was eventualy told politely that if he wanted Quake, there were plenty of games out there that are like Quake but that WWIIOL would never be like Quake.

Lot's of new rules were put in place because of him, most regarding the forums.  You now have to be a paying player to post there now.  You can also only have one account per player account.  So if you have two accounts that you pay to play, you wil have two forum accounts.  But you can't have twelve accounts to use just to make a person who dissagrees with you think that he is outnumbered.

Well long story short Blair was banned, given a second chance, then banned again, for life.  He has now made it his mission to try to bad mouth CRS and WWIIOL and has even stated that his goal is to make WWIIOL fail by convincing other people not to try the game.  He even made a website to bash it and a coalition he calls the Troll Alliance.  Most likely he has dozens of personas he uses there.

I would not be the least bit surprised to find out that he posted many of the negative comments here.  I'm sure if he did, and he sees this that he will use every one of them to try to deny they are him.

All I can say is treat negative comments like that with a grain of salt because reviews are just that reviews.  Even mine which was positive should not be taken as the gospel.  You have to try it for yourself.

If you do look me up at www.bkbhq.com  I am the new training officer for BKB and I can tell you taht everybody I trained is addicted to the game.

That's the key to WWIIOL.  It's so big and changes so much that it is it's own worst enemy with regards to new players.  The constant changes make it hard to have some form of media to teach the game.  You could make a online game manual but it would need constant updating to keep it current and relevant.

It is easy to become overwhelmed in a game of this scale and depth.

Don't be though. Simply ask for help, you'll be surprised at the amount of help that is offered by other players.

If you find someone who will go out of his way to teach you how to enjoy the game, join his squad and hook up with him as much as possible.  Eventually you will be hooked and then one day you'll be the one training people.

That's the whole key to WWIIOL, join a squad and learn from them and learn to work with them and you'll find that WWIIOL offers more action on an epic scale than you could ever have imagined.

NOW! all this having been said, look at any game and research it a little.  If it has a hardcore following as many MMOLG's do, there must be something there to be enjoyed.  The key is finding one you will enjoy yourself.

Yea i Noticed that, i was ganna do that free trial last night, but i have to get my cox email today so i can. it looks like a great game image but i wish their was something like ragnarok, without all the bs, but i guess there will always be that one thing wrong :) o well i'll deal with it all lol and to guys like that....kill yourself, its one thing to have a opinion, and other to be a full fluged a#$ f$%@ thats just insane. Not to mintion dumb. And in no way will the 2 ever be related(general speaking) but hey your always ganna have that one a$% hole.

I have also been wondering why americans as a whole have such a bad name in mmorpg and all. All i ask is that you not look at people like him or all the rest of the a%* holes and we are just like you :P i just think its unfair to be based on all the pricks....(everything has a downside...right?)

• ImsneakyImsneaky Member Posts: 138

Actually he is Canadian but I don't hold him up as an example of what most Canadians are like.

He was one of a kind, and thankfully so.

i agree to that, but we have our share of them to....unless they all died(hoping)