Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sandbox

eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
I notice that people come on the forum and say there are no good Sandcbox games to play, they should play Ryzom.  It has great harvesting, meaningfull crafting, good combat, open world, great performance, yes graphics are a bit dated but a heck of alot better than Salem.  It also has one of the best tutorials I have ever seen and that is unusuall for a sandbox game. It is free up to level 125!!!.  Not trying to be a fan boy but people should try it, if you are a true sandbox player you will like it.

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    I notice that people come on the forum and say there are no good Sandcbox games to play, they should play Ryzom.  It has great harvesting, meaningfull crafting, good combat, open world, great performance, yes graphics are a bit dated but a heck of alot better than Salem.  It also has one of the best tutorials I have ever seen and that is unusuall for a sandbox game. It is free up to level 125!!!.  Not trying to be a fan boy but people should try it, if you are a true sandbox player you will like it.

while i wholeheartedly agree with your assesment and that sandboxers need to give Ryzom a chance, i would have to correct your statement that Ryzom has an 'open world'. an open world is one w/o instances. and if i remember correctly Ryzom is nothing but a set of instanced zones.

other than that, 3 cheers for the 'grand ol'dame' and i hope others will set aside their prejudices about age and such and give Atys a visit.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    When people talk about Sandbox so forlornely I cant help but wonder if people actually just want a open world themepark.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I think what they mean is that there are no new, big budget sandbox games. They are looking for the sandbox equivalent of Guild Wars 2.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I think what they mean is that there are no new, big budget sandbox games. They are looking for the sandbox equivalent of Guild Wars 2.

It'll never happen, a pure sandbox has the market appeal as whack-a-mole online.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by eddieg50 I notice that people come on the forum and say there are no good Sandcbox games to play, they should play Ryzom.  It has great harvesting, meaningfull crafting, good combat, open world, great performance, yes graphics are a bit dated but a heck of alot better than Salem.  It also has one of the best tutorials I have ever seen and that is unusuall for a sandbox game. It is free up to level 125!!!.  Not trying to be a fan boy but people should try it, if you are a true sandbox player you will like it.
    It'll never happen, a pure sandbox has the market appeal as whack-a-mole online.

I don't know if it'll never happen. Never is a very long time. It does seem far more likely that a bunch of hybrids will get made soon. If a new, big budget sandbox does get made, it will be after the hybrids get made.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by chelan

while i wholeheartedly agree with your assesment and that sandboxers need to give Ryzom a chance, i would have to correct your statement that Ryzom has an 'open world'. an open world is one w/o instances. and if i remember correctly Ryzom is nothing but a set of instanced zones.

other than that, 3 cheers for the 'grand ol'dame' and i hope others will set aside their prejudices about age and such and give Atys a visit.

We may just be using these terms differently but Ryzom is certainly an open world in my book.  Yes, it has zones, like every other mmorpg.  You do get a loading screen when you move from one zone to another.  But there is only one version of each zone. 

When I think of "instanced zones"  I think of Age of Conan, City of Heroes, or SWTOR which had multiple instances of each zone to reduce lag.  No such thing has ever been used in Ryzom.  Everyone in each zone can see each other because only one version of each zone exists.

The only aspect of Ryzom which fails my definition of sandbox is that you can't build your own house in the wilderness.  You may only rent an instanced appartment in one of the towns.  Oh well.  Can't have everything.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Originally posted by eddieg50 I notice that people come on the forum and say there are no good Sandcbox games to play, they should play Ryzom.  It has great harvesting, meaningfull crafting, good combat, open world, great performance, yes graphics are a bit dated but a heck of alot better than Salem.  It also has one of the best tutorials I have ever seen and that is unusuall for a sandbox game. It is free up to level 125!!!.  Not trying to be a fan boy but people should try it, if you are a true sandbox player you will like it.

I don't know if it'll never happen. Never is a very long time. It does seem far more likely that a bunch of hybrids will get made soon. If a new, big budget sandbox does get made, it will be after the hybrids get made.

You do know there are about 15 new sandboxes coming and some are AAA right?

And there is no such thing as hybrid! Sandbox incoorporates all features and aspects of a mmorpg.

And seriously a whack-a-mole? Only reason there isnt demand for sandbox is because all american companies do is chase after wow lol. Glad that is stopping finaly.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Onomas

And there is no such thing as hybrid! Sandbox incoorporates all features and aspects of a mmorpg.

And seriously a whack-a-mole? Only reason there isnt demand for sandbox is because all american companies do is chase after wow lol. Glad that is stopping finaly.

If you don't mind, could you name them off so that I can put them on my "to watch" list. Thanks!

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Tayah

If you don't mind, could you name them off so that I can put them on my "to watch" list. Thanks!

EQNext

The repopulation

Archeage

Greed Monger

The Black Desert

Dark Fall 2/UW - already released

Dragons Prophet

Age of Wushu 

Embers of Caerus

Origins of Malu

Salem

Relics of Annorath

Pathfinder Online

Citadel of Sorcery

Star Citizen

Elite Dangerous

Infinity

Miner Wars

LinkRealms

Project Theralon

World Of Darkness

Earthrise reboot (maybe)

Newer iteration of Xsyon

This is copy&paste from my and another persons post. Mine are top 10, his are bottom 9.

If you go to sandboxer.org ( i think that it) there is a list there also and one on these forums floating around, a more complete list.

Some seem ok, some are shabby, some are indie, some are AAA. Im hoping atleast 1 of those will be good :)

Im watching pretty much 8 of the top 10 listed there (excluding DF2, age of wushu), and a few of the bottom listed.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Tayah

EQNext

The repopulation

Archeage

Greed Monger

The Black Desert

Dark Fall 2/UW - already released

Dragons Prophet

Age of Wushu 

Embers of Caerus

Origins of Malu

Salem

Relics of Annorath

Pathfinder Online

Citadel of Sorcery

Star Citizen

Elite Dangerous

Infinity

Miner Wars

LinkRealms

Project Theralon

World Of Darkness

Earthrise reboot (maybe)

Newer iteration of Xsyon

This is copy&paste from my and another persons post. Mine are top 10, his are bottom 9.

If you go to sandboxer.org ( i think that it) there is a list there also and one on these forums floating around, a more complete list.

Some seem ok, some are shabby, some are indie, some are AAA. Im hoping atleast 1 of those will be good :)

Im watching pretty much 8 of the top 10 listed there (excluding DF2, age of wushu), and a few of the bottom listed.

Thanks, I'm hoping The Black Desert, Archeage, and EQ Next pans out to be good sanboxes. Didn't know about the others, ty again.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by eddieg50 I notice that people come on the forum and say there are no good Sandcbox games to play, they should play Ryzom.  It has great harvesting, meaningfull crafting, good combat, open world, great performance, yes graphics are a bit dated but a heck of alot better than Salem.  It also has one of the best tutorials I have ever seen and that is unusuall for a sandbox game. It is free up to level 125!!!.  Not trying to be a fan boy but people should try it, if you are a true sandbox player you will like it.

I think the reasons are a bit deeper than that, to be honest. Even though most people won't admit it, the vast majority of people are consumers, not creators. Sandboxes reward proactive, creative gameplay, whereas themeparks reward reactive, herd mentality like their themepark namesakes. WoW has proven that the latter is much more popular.

<3

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by angus858

We may just be using these terms differently but Ryzom is certainly an open world in my book.  Yes, it has zones, like every other mmorpg.  You do get a loading screen when you move from one zone to another.  But there is only one version of each zone. 

When I think of "instanced zones"  I think of Age of Conan, City of Heroes, or SWTOR which had multiple instances of each zone to reduce lag.  No such thing has ever been used in Ryzom.  Everyone in each zone can see each other because only one version of each zone exists.

The only aspect of Ryzom which fails my definition of sandbox is that you can't build your own house in the wilderness.  You may only rent an instanced appartment in one of the towns.  Oh well.  Can't have everything.

The world of Ryzom isn't instanced or has any zones, no loading screen if you leave a region and enter another. The only instancing is happen with housing and there are 2 Bosses whose camp is instanced.

You can see the sandbox clearly (as in a sealess world) if lower level region mobs get lost and accidently enter higher regions or higher region mobs follow you into lower regions fluently if they after you..there is no zone or loading ...a seamless world..

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• rturjarturja Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

The world of Ryzom isn't instanced or has any zones, no loading screen if you leave a region and enter another. The only instancing is happen with housing and there are 2 Bosses whose camp is instanced.

You can see the sandbox clearly (as in a sealess world) if lower level region mobs get lost and accidently enter higher regions or higher region mobs follow you into lower regions fluently if they after you..there is no zone or loading ...a seamless world..

Uh, we have then played different Ryzoms :D There were loading screens between regions yet remaining the last time I checked. Some regions like lakelands have actually quite a lot of portalling for one more or less continuous area.

Playing: AC2
    Played: UO, DaoC, Horizons, Ryzom, WAR, LotRO, Eve, VG...

• MariannMariann Member Posts: 200

In the desert it is possible to run from the beginning zone straight into the 250 zone  (not advisable for any new person - but it is possible) without any portals or instances.  Same for the Jungle and I think the Forest.

I believe the only instanced parts of ryzom are your apartment and guild houses (I could be very wrong about that though).

Moonlightmist

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden
    Originally posted by angus858

It does have zones, split up as regions. When you enter the Prime Roots, for example... that's a new zone/region, and there's a loading screen, etc.

They're large, and you don't move between them as much... but they're there.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by aspekx

It has zones, but they're not instances. They're shared areas. 

"Instance", put simply, means "copy". Instancing is what you get in a game like WoW, where the dungeons are "instanced" - as in, each group entering gets its own personal "copy" of that dungeon. Guild Wars 1 has heavy instancing in two ways: The first way is in the social hub areas; it's broken down into copies of each hub area, which players could switch between. The other form of instancing it had was that each adventure zone was an instance, similar to the WoW dungeon example. Each player or group got its own "copy" of a given adventure zone.

Some people tend to confuse the two terms, thinking they mean the same thing. They don't. You can have zones without them being instanced.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Did they ever add player shops?
  • MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
    is there jumping?

• talkIRCtalkIRC Member Posts: 4

player to player selling, yes

jumping, no (no need to jump, as well as no point for it)

zones vs regions:  go anywhere in the jungle zone, no loading between the regions (zones in ryzom are huge maps, devided into various regions based on a level block for that regions, eg 0-50, 51-100, 101-150, 151-200, 201-250 all surface zones have these regions {other then nexus which is surface but only 151-200})  there is NO loading between any of these regions in a single zone. 

going from jungle zone to prime roots zone does have a very short load time (on powerful systems it's a few seconds, on slower systems it may be 10 or so seconds, and if you have 12 to 16 free GB of ram, you can load the entire game to memory and remove the wait completely)

it should be noted that there are a few prime roots zones do require a load like going from jungle to lakes would, but it's because the massive size of the given zones combined would be too much for some computers to handle with more limited free ram to pre-load the data into.

teleporting requires a quick load as well, to sync the client's new location on the server properly.  entering some buildings, apartments, guild halls, and other various in-door locations may require a short load time as well.

hope that clears some of this all up.