Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: Head Start - Scourge of Patrons

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArcheAge has its fair share of die-hard fans. Heck, I’ve liked the game since I saw first the screenshots and short trailers back in 2010. It’s sometimes been difficult to stay excited about ArcheAge over the last four years, but we made it. It’s Tuesday, September 16th, 2014. The game servers should be live and free players should be flooding the authentication server queues. I emphasize “should” because the last few days haven’t been kind to Patrons trying to enjoy their Head Start. Despite having multiple MMO launches under its belt, Trion has managed to fall victim to sophomoric blunders.

Read more of Mark Wilhelm's ArcheAge Headstart - Scourge of Patrons.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

I posted this in the other news article, consider it a buyer-beware until Trion makes up for their greed.

This has been nothing but a disaster so far, and it keeps getting worse.

They also started to sell packs in Archeum/Gold/Silver pricings with significantly better contents than the pre-purchase packs of the same price, as if they couldn't say "thanks for your money now fuck off" any more clearly.

Many of us had very little playtime so far in the 'early access' because of severe server instability, and many people still didn't receive the stuff they paid for, while others received double (or even 8 times, including 6+ months of subscription time). Now, apparently they also gave F2P accounts 3 free months of Patron status, screwing over the queue's and serving as an additional slap in the face to all those who paid for it.

Currently a big -1 Trion... the very worst? No word on compensations, showing the pure greed this company has right now.

Edit: As someone else asked this; The difference in value of the packs goes up to around 50-60 euro, although the website is down mostly so I can't find a link to a more detailed forum post.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Currently waiting 18 minutes in queue. Sure it's not peak time, but it's not THAT bad. And plus server instability is to be expected. Every launch has had issues very similar. Idk, guess I am used to it.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by raapnaap

Now, apparently they also gave F2P accounts 3 free months of Patron status, screwing over the queue's and serving as an additional slap in the face to all those who paid for it.

IMO its a well deserved slap. One does not simply spend $150 on alpha games just to access them early. Founders had it coming. But hey, life is full of lessons to be learned the hard way. Just make sure not to repeat them with upcoming mmos so the companies learn not to rip consumers off.

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Paid for patron 3 hours ago and still not updated. Watching housing plot after plot get taken right in front of me.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• tdog21tdog21 Member Posts: 6

I tried joining us servers and all were 2+ hr queues.

Said f* that and closed the game.

I've been waiting forever to play this game and I'm not falling for the "ZOMG CAN"T GET IN! PATRON ME!" So guess I'm waiting till they actually have enough servers to actually spread out the cluster f* of people.

• Tad030Tad030 Member Posts: 7

it's a hot mess.  the new 'starter packs' are not helping, either.  they appear to be better than founders packs.  i bought a founders pack last Thursday just so i could have head-start access...and well, we all know how that went - i couldn't even get them to send me an authorization email.  now, i see starter packs advertised that are way better than the founders pack i bought, and for the same amount of money.   

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371

This was a spot on article, I feel victim to the same things hes describing. My fingers are crossed for a refund.

Though I have thoroughly enjoyed watching all the people who did get land say things on the MMO forums like "suck it up sunshine, you gotta earn it, or "Youre a weak minded fool who wont hack it in AA."

Comedy Gold.

• socalsk8trsocalsk8tr Member Posts: 65
    :D I play and I don't even know about trade packs or farming and so on. xD the combat is boring as fack tho and won't keep many intrested for very long when they don't get access to all the little extra sand boxy things that make the game unique.
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I want to feel sympathetic to the plight of those who feel let down by Trion, but it's tough. Just please stop voting yes with your wallet for this shit, okay? It's getting fucking tiresome and I'd like to see some developers who try this shit get shot the fuck down instead of encouraged by sales of alphas at lifetime sub prices without an actual lifetime sub. 
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Servers are packed to the gills!  It's been great so far... can't take 2 steps without running into others... and that's an understatement.  I think the download this morning and queue were just fine... I was expecting worse.  Played a solid 3+ hours today not an issue in game at all.  Smooth as butter.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I see many post people posting money grab or greed, people don't get it, you gave them your money, it's not money grab if your willing to add your credit card they didn't come up and said you most pay us to play are game.

What you think sub mmo are? thats money grab you have to pay us to buy are game, and pay us to even log in.

Arche Age is free, I am sorry for the people can't log in but you didn't pay for the founder pack just for the 4 day head start it was for the other item you got in the pack, just give it a bit the game will die down and then you can play all you want. Or just deal with the queues for now.

But anyhow, people have a lot of hate, there are some people have good points other just troll other so they can feel better.

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408

It needs to be said that pre-ordering games is always a financial gamble these days.  Kickstarter, Early Access, and now even subscription alphas continue to drive home that point.  Publishers actively monetizing the "privilege" of playing a game's early version will consistently sell their founder's package at reduced rates later or otherwise offer enticements that will probably feel like a slap in the face for their early adopters.  I witnessed this firsthand with Dragon's Prophet and their packs; saw it with the Steam sale on Landmark packs; now it's come up again with ArcheAge.

Don't pay for alpha.  Or, if you really, really, really must, pay to play it early and not for the perceived worth of the goodies that are added in.  The latter will almost always be far cheaper to get right around launch.

All that said, get your knives out.  Now that ArcheAge has been officially released into the wild I expect to see this lauded game carved up as we do every other game that comes out.

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    This is a first for me.  I didn't pre-buy.  I didn't wait in line to queue.  I just decided this time, I wouldn't fall for it.  Yes, I'm jaded.  I am very much in the "wait and see camp" going forward.  Thank ESO and a number of MMOs before it - I'm DONE!

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271

nothing short of disgraceful the way trion has dealt with archeage,i bought a archeum founder soon as there went on sale and couldnt wait for the game to release,my acount was hacked last week and trion have not had the decency to reply to my ticket

i have no intention of playing archeage now even if i get my acount back,i feel sorry for every founder who payed hard earned cash to be part of archeage even tho i cant even access my acount hundreds if not thousands of founders are been harshly done by not only from trion but alot of the mmo community.shame on trion and small minded mmo community.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by zaberfangx

I see many post people posting money grab or greed, people don't get it, you gave them your money, it's not money grab if your willing to add your credit card they didn't come up and said you most pay us to play are game.

What you think sub mmo are? thats money grab you have to pay us to buy are game, and pay us to even log in.

Arche Age is free, I am sorry for the people can't log in but you didn't pay for the founder pack just for the 4 day head start it was for the other item you got in the pack, just give it a bit the game will die down and then you can play all you want. Or just deal with the queues for now.

But anyhow, people have a lot of hate, there are some people have good points other just troll other so they can feel better.

I wonder want my credit card issuer will say about this. Technically Trion need to be careful as people will start requesting refunds. Even if they don't give refunds, people can do a chargeback. I can easily call my credit card issuer and say that I had to endure 1-3 hours queues and do not get to enjoy the product I purchased, I can say that I encoutered game breaking bugs (I fell through the world and got stuck in the ocean lol) and graphical glitches (quest objectives not displaying correctly in the objectives log).

Pretty sure Mastercard will reverse the charge right away. But I hate doing chargebacks. I have never actually done a charge back and don't want this to be the first one. But since I only made my purchase last week, it is very doable as  Istill haven't paid for the purchase.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• kingjames18kingjames18 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I'm currently waiting in queue been waiting for 30 mins so far started with 2100 now its down to 1700 in line. Wait time has flucuated but seems to be a consistant > 1hr though so far... first time trying to get in since it went live.
  • demadildemadil Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by kingjames18
    I'm currently waiting in queue been waiting for 30 mins so far started with 2100 now its down to 1700 in line. Wait time has flucuated but seems to be a consistant > 1hr though so far... first time trying to get in since it went live.

Thats pretty quick-goin on 2+ hour queue so far here on ollo.

• UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by JDis25
    Currently waiting 18 minutes in queue. Sure it's not peak time, but it's not THAT bad. And plus server instability is to be expected. Every launch has had issues very similar. Idk, guess I am used to it.

Are you having a laugh?

I have had such extremely little playtime wit server disconnects and queues that I have been able to get to a whopping lvl 17 since friday 6pm GMT. On each day I had to endure 1.5 - 2 hour queues, then when finally in the server crashed also often ... back to queue.

Also, people in our guild had worked out detailed release plans, Landrush, crafting, farming , levelling groups. All this planning went to hell with this chaotic start, our guild plots are all over the place, we couldn't get the farmers coordinated due to long queues and disconnects,

Given the fact that we all payed good money for a Founders pack this is a disgrace.

Trion so far was in my opinion one of the fairer and more professional companies, they now have a reputation to loose. I honestly don't know what they will be able to do about the shafting of the larger guilds, but I very much hope they will come up with something soon  (especially re Landgrab) or the established guild will leave.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk
    Originally posted by Callidor

This was a spot on article, I feel victim to the same things hes describing. My fingers are crossed for a refund.

Though I have thoroughly enjoyed watching all the people who did get land say things on the MMO forums like "suck it up sunshine, you gotta earn it, or "Youre a weak minded fool who wont hack it in AA."

Comedy Gold.

Originally posted by sketocafe
    I want to feel sympathetic to the plight of those who feel let down by Trion, but it's tough. Just please stop voting yes with your wallet for this shit, okay? It's getting fucking tiresome and I'd like to see some developers who try this shit get shot the fuck down instead of encouraged by sales of alphas at lifetime sub prices without an actual lifetime sub. 

+1 for the above, from me...

As a whole, I believe most people who are complaining have just realized that maybe buying into hype and purchasing a "founders" pack for a free game for hundreds of dollars isn't quite the smartest thing in the world to do.  This is especially true with MMOs where anything can and will go wrong.  Trion's pricing is pretty much like any other free game that offered a founders pack, and it's the consumers that allow this to happen by buying into it and following hype as opposed to waiting it out and seeing how a game does.  If their response to this, in this situation, is "but everyone will have an advantage over me if I don't pay hundreds of dollars", then perhaps that's another red flag that should be considered if simply "pre-ordering" the game for hundreds of dollars gives you an advantage in game.

Isn't a money grab by Trion, as people have been buying and defending this kind of behavior from companies for years and will continue to insist buying advantages is not paying to win -- at least in the case of a full FFA PvP game.  Win a single PvP fight due to advantages you bought, and you've "won" (in regards to people who say "what did you win?" when someone makes a reference to buying such things in a PvE game).  Will it even out?  Maybe (though with the game is set up, including labor points, the best gear is crafted and those who have more money will get it quicker)?  Doesn't mean -- at the very least -- that the starting experience wasn't it when you talk about the very core of the matter.

I just logged onto the WoW Beta PvP servers the other night to test Restoration Druid, and after every duel I saw people say "$#@#($&;@# YOU YOU #$Y$(*#& @#$&;(@#)$&;)@..." and "YOU SUCK YOU #$(*@&;#@#*( @#$()@#&;)!" after they won a duel.  I literally watched some 20 fights, all with the same end results.  Most of the time it was with a class that was overpowered at the moment.  Now, they didn't have to pay for those advantages, but I'd wager they're the type that would buy into this (the people who are specifically targeted in a PvP game like AA) just so they can show how "good" they are and then grief others -- they'll win in both game and out of it with the laugh they get.

This is why I personally only play subscription only PvP games with no cash shop if I want a PvP game, and refuse to play B2P or F2P games that don't have PvE servers.  There's even people who display the above by saying "you wouldn't cut it" or laughing at others because they have something others don't.  How would people not cut it?  What skill is honestly needed in this game?  The skill of having a fat wallet and time, both?

tldr;

Trion is just trying to make money -- like any publisher -- and people have themselves to blame for buying into hype and (in some cases) fanboying things.  We're supporting this publisher and game-design behavior and defending it.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by tdog21

I tried joining us servers and all were 2+ hr queues.

Said f* that and closed the game.

I've been waiting forever to play this game and I'm not falling for the "ZOMG CAN"T GET IN! PATRON ME!" So guess I'm waiting till they actually have enough servers to actually spread out the cluster f* of people.

this reminds me of Silkroad online. The servers were full of bots and real players had to pay to log in before the bots.

Originally posted by jonp200
    This is a first for me.  I didn't pre-buy.  I didn't wait in line to queue.  I just decided this time, I wouldn't fall for it.  Yes, I'm jaded.  I am very much in the "wait and see camp" going forward.  Thank ESO and a number of MMOs before it - I'm DONE!

Yeah, I'm hoping a lot of people will start doing the same.  Not those who genuinely do research before pre-ordering and if they don't like it, well... it was a risk.  But rather those who make a point of complaining when they feel they've been shafted in some way when no one forced them to put the money out other than wanting that PvP advantage.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Double post for some reason.

• revolthrevolth Member Posts: 3
    seems that Ill wait a few weeks to play this then, sorry for you guys that pay the head start, is a bad move from trion. Peace.
  • SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    So am I to blame for buying a subscription today once it was available and then not getting anything for it? Please. They have dropped the ball every which way possible. I didny pay for a founder pack. I did pay the subscription this morning, and there is now a "bug" which stops me from actually getting the benifits. I had enough gilda stars to plant a house 30 minutes after server up anf now they are going fast.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

Originally posted by Sephros
    So am I to blame for buying a subscription today once it was available and then not getting anything for it? Please. They have dropped the ball every which way possible. I didny pay for a founder pack. I did pay the subscription this morning, and there is now a "bug" which stops me from actually getting the benifits. I had enough gilda stars to plant a house 30 minutes after server up anf now they are going fast.

That's a case where it's Trion's fault, in my opinion.  They're not able to handle things as they are coming in, and you're getting screwed because of it.  You have every right to expect a working product or to at least receive what you pay for as soon as you do -- baring other circumstances, such as server space (which is finite).  Not activating your subscription is completely their fault, if you're in game and watching limited resource go before your eyes.

Though it's also somewhat the person in question's fault for falling for the "limited space" thing in an MMO.  That's mainly just to create more hype and sell more starting copies.  It's a practice that we're starting to support lately as a consumer base, so there's shared fault in that circumstance.