Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW just went F2P

Comments

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by LacedOpium
    Originally posted by Daxxan
    Originally posted by siempi
    Whoa whoa, what's that WoW? Getting scared of ARCHEAGE!?!?

Nothing to do with ArcheAge.  Everything to do with WoD

Have they ever done anything like this with prior expansions?  No they have not.  Of course It has everything to do with the release of Archeage.  You'd have to be very gullible to believe it has nothing, at all, to do with the release of Archeage.  Blizzard didn't get to be number one by being stupid.

Do AA fans really think that game will even pass the million player mark after the first month or two ? It's a niche title that will probably have a solid following but hardly a threat to the wow monster.

They have an upcoming expansion that they think will bring back the glory days of wow in a time that subs have never been lower since it's peak. Obviously they're doing what they can to get people back in playing so they'll stay when it comes out.

C'mon now, why does everything have to be about AA fans and AA fanboys?

When is the WoD expansion scheduled for release? 

November 13th. 

When is AA going to be released?

Open Beta September, 4th.  Early Start September 12th. and Full release September 16th.

No one is claiming that AA is a threat to WoW's subscriber numbers but it has generated quite a bit of hype and there is no reason to believe that they are not capable of pulling away a small percentage of WoW's player base.  It would be prudent for Blizzard to release this promotion now in an effort to not only hook players before they jump into AA on the 16th but also to keep their current and future potential players from jumping ship and becoming hooked on AA prior to the WoD release on Nov. 13th.

Again, it has nothing to do with AA fans and everything to do with Blizzard being market savvy.  Think about it, if you were running Blizzard, wouldn't you do the same?  It is a business after all and this is the type of thing savvy business' do to stay on top. 

That being said, it has not been confirmed that this offer is available to everyone.  It may only be targeted to a select group at this point.  The link has been confirmed valid though.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Yep, just like a Rhino is afraid of a fly.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

That being said, it has not been confirmed that this offer is available to everyone.  It may only be targeted to a select group at this point.  The link has been confirmed valid though.

It has ? because the post saying it was only them talking about the 30 days new subs get and the link is total bullshit makes it seem like there is no promotion at all and this is just a moot point.

Originally posted by Nickraider
    There are people who still haven't played WoW? O.o

Yeah...about 6.9 billion people. O.o

It has ? because the post saying it was only them talking about the 30 days new subs get and the link is total bullshit makes it seem like there is no promotion at all and this is just a moot point.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14058817041

It's a valid link.  The offer is not for everyone.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Wait, so now Archeage is the latest WoW Killer? Can't wait for this.

A link to a link to the Ops link...compelling evidence. Maybe add a few more links and it will be official ?

The promotion went out to hearthstone players that have never played wow. They'd get 30 days free if they sub. So no it had nothing to do with AA. It's blizzard trying to get people playing blizzard games already, into wow.

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324

Its another desperate attempt of boosting sub number before quarterly report.

They do it everytime, free trial a few days before end of Q2 and now Q3, typical Blizzard.

A link to a link to the Ops link...compelling evidence. Maybe add a few more links and it will be official ?

The promotion went out to hearthstone players that have never played wow. They'd get 30 days free if they sub. So no it had nothing to do with AA. It's blizzard trying to get people playing blizzard games already, into wow.

Exactly.  And why would you think they would be offering the promotion at this time ... just prior to the AA Open Beta and official game release?  The WoD release is two months away.  Surely if it was to bump up hype for that release the promotion could have taken effect next month. 

Listen, I have no dog in this fight.  I would give Blizzard a lot more credit if they did this from the perspective of a savvy marketing standpoint.  If they didn't and it is just coincidence, well so be it.  Unless a Blizzard marketing employee came on this thread and stated otherwise, it isn't something that could be proved anyway.  It is what it is.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by zzax

Its another desperate attempt of boosting sub number before quarterly report.

They do it everytime, free trial a few days before end of Q2 and now Q3, typical Blizzard.

I don't even....

• IceDarkIceDark Member UncommonPosts: 207

Wow! I am not seeing Blizzard being desperate to boost up sales ( players ) prior to Q3 or that they feel "the fear" because hey .. Archeage is releasing :|

This is/was a promo for players from other game(s) ( HearthStone ? ) which they never tried WoW before. If Blizzard wants to boost up sales , well .. you will see their ads about the said .. offer.. everywhere. 

This however , it's just an email ad for the players I talked above ( http://media.blizzard.com/emails/fwow/wowfinal.html ) .

So no, WoW didn't went F2P. Blizzard didn't offer 30 days of free month to new and old players ( just the standard 30 days for anyone who buys WoW ) , so please, the haters, try being logic here. 

Thank you!

PS:

Hey guys,

The media link to our site is a graphic used from some promotions we were running for select players of our other games that haven't tried WoW yet. It's part of an email sent to them.

The free time it's referring too is the 30 day month that all new subscribers get.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14058817041#10

PS2: LOL at the guys who were thinking that this is a ..PHISHING website. C'mon! If you see battle.net or blizzard.com then everything is ok. Doesn't matter what it might have in front or after blizzard.com ( exemple supremewow.blizzard.com/supremewowisthebest ) . If you see blizzard.com right there and not in other part of the link ( exemple supportblizz0ard.com/blizzard.com/resetyourpassword type of phishing websites ) then everything is good.

The Ice is dark and full of terror.
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Yeah, that must be it!

I'm sure Blizzard is shaking in terror due to the 500k subs they stand to lose, of which 300k will return the following month. AA is a niche title, like all sandboxes to ever grace this industry have been, and as such it will only ever have a mediocre following.

Originally posted by Kost

Yeah, that must be it!

I'm sure Blizzard is shaking in terror due to the 500k subs they stand to lose, of which 300k will return the following month. AA is a niche title, like all sandboxes to ever grace this industry have been, and as such it will only ever have a mediocre following.

Shh... don't burst his delusion.  When Archage tanks, he'll probably blame Obama.

Fanboy logic is always amusing to read.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Which has everything to do with Archeage.  Wakey wakey :]

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by newbinator
    Originally posted by Pepeq

It's fake.... people are so gullable.

It's on Blizzard's site. And today isn't April 1st. So yeah, it's legit.

They do this before every one of their recent expansions.  It's not news, and they aren't "testing out" the F2P model.  It's strictly to give players a taste of WoW for free before expansion goes live.   

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by newbinator

Originally posted by Pepeq
    It's fake.... people are so gullable.

It's on Blizzard's site. And today isn't April 1st. So yeah, it's legit.
    From what I found, I think not. Your link gave me a "file not found" error. So I visited WoW's website. Still only free to level 20.

[EDIT]
    Since the Staff is posting about it, maybe there is some truth for this? The question I have is: New accounts only?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Have they ever done anything like this with prior expansions?  No they have not.  Of course It has everything to do with the release of Archeage.  You'd have to be very gullible to believe it has nothing, at all, to do with the release of Archeage.  Blizzard didn't get to be number one by being stupid.

Do AA fans really think that game will even pass the million player mark after the first month or two ? It's a niche title that will probably have a solid following but hardly a threat to the wow monster.

They have an upcoming expansion that they think will bring back the glory days of wow in a time that subs have never been lower since it's peak. Obviously they're doing what they can to get people back in playing so they'll stay when it comes out.

There will be no returning to the glory days of WoW because there is no talk of returning to the old highly customisable skill trees.

Coupled to that, classes no longer occupy the unique niches they once had. The feel of gameplay is completely different.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Blizzard always release some expansion/gimmicks to pre-emptively strike their competition's release dates.

They've been timing their release of things and special offers for as far back as I recall, well at least during the release of titles that they see as a potential threat (during release of WAR, AoE, Swtor, GW2, etc etc to name just a few)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Wolfhammer

Which has everything to do with Archeage.  Wakey wakey :]

If it was everything to do with Archeage then Trion would be getting worried about now, because if there is one thing that Blizzard do really well, its improving on others ideas to a degree that the original looks half baked, so yeah, you really don't want this to be everything to do with Archeage, at least not if your a genuine fan of Archeage image

• mooseman3527mooseman3527 Member UncommonPosts: 5

Blizzard added MOP to my account for free. I never recall them giving away expansions for free in the past right before another expansion is coming out.  I still won't reactivate my account as it's been frozen since the release of MOP. I think they are feeling some kind of decline of sales or player base to be giving expansions away for free and 30 day sub time. 

I plan on playing AA and Landmark/ EverQuest Next, before I ever consider to return to WoW which I won't, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, so yeah in a way they are begging for people to come back and getting a little desperate. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

There will be no returning to the glory days of WoW because there is no talk of returning to the old highly customisable skill trees.

Coupled to that, classes no longer occupy the unique niches they once had. The feel of gameplay is completely different.

Except i kind of agree with Damonvile, the two games are such different genres i don't see how they can be in competition. Archeage is very much a niche title, its a PVP centric Themepark with sandbox elements, although by the look of it that doesn't really kick in until players reach end game,  as such its going to probably be competing with Eve online etc for players, and if anyone has been paying attention, yeah, Eve online just released a new expansion too, with several improvements, including level 4 'burner' missions, which are an interesting addition. One thing that Archeage is not competing with though, is a hugely PVE centric MMO that is WoW.image

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Blizzard has NOTHING to fear from AA.  I don't think anyone does.

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Lol, you have to be kidding.  Every class had there ideal build for every class/spec listed on every mmo site for every new patch.  There was no customizing your talent trees.  Unless of course you wanted to play a sub-optimal spec.  

Originally posted by mooseman3527

Blizzard added MOP to my account for free. I never recall them giving away expansions for free in the past right before another expansion is coming out.  I still won't reactivate my account as it's been frozen since the release of MOP. I think they are feeling some kind of decline of sales or player base to be giving expansions away for free and 30 day sub time. 

I plan on playing AA and Landmark/ EverQuest Next, before I ever consider to return to WoW which I won't, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, so yeah in a way they are begging for people to come back and getting a little desperate. 

Yep, they are really hurting with that terrible low number of  6.9 million subs.  You AA fanboys are trying way too hard.  You need to aim at something you actually have a chance at competing with.  AA might get a bit more attention then say Wildstar or even possibly ESO (I doubt it, but you never know).  But, you must be smoking some meth if you think it's going to somehow impact WoW lol.  But please, continue to amuse us.

Originally posted by Eir_S

Blizzard has NOTHING to fear from AA.  I don't think anyone does.

This man speaks the truth my friends.