Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those of you wondering if they should try EVE or if you're getting frustrated...

AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

First of all, let me clarify that I am mostly a theme-park MMO player. Not because I need rails or hand-holding, but because most sandboxes do not offer any real, actual content. (I'm looking at you, Fallen Earth)

I've played EVE off and on for several years and, it finally clicked for me. It's Tradewars. (Here's the Wikipedia for everybody under 30) The whole point of the game is to collect as much money as possible- preferably by taking from other players.

After a year off, I decided to come back again (waiting for Wildstar to fix its raiding) and have been really enjoying it. Having a couple of pilots over 15M SP helps, and knowing almost what the hell I'm doing does too, but its the attitude. This game is meant for people to grief or gank you. It's going to happen. I wasn't back for more than an hour- moving all of my possessions through high- sec to my new corps base and I got podded- in 0.7 sec. It was very much a "Welcome back to EVE, Motherfucker!" moment. I recently had another character's cargo jacked- because he didn't like my name. That's EVE.

If you're going to play, you need patience to start. Money won't even help that much. You can get all the ISK in the game and buy all the skill books and ships you want and won't be able to do much of any goddamn thing for at least a month. (It takes 25 Days to Train from nothing to a freighter, an Exhumer, or a Battleship- pick your poison)

You will get jacked. It's part of the game. You will get jacked for stupid reasons. Either go do it back to them, pay it forward, join a corp that has muscle, or put bounties on your killers. Those are your options. But, getting frustrated over it won't do you any good.

The game really is about money. You can haul other people's crap for money, do speculative trading, manufacturing, mining/harvesting, exploring, or hijacking other people doing any of the aforementioned activities. The good news is, that you can buy in game time from CCP and then sell it on the Marker for LOTS of money- it's not a bad to fund some ventures or get those ships you just spend 25 days training for. But either way, you'll need to spend time training for them and learning how to play.

Which brings me to the most important part. The learning curve: It's ridiculous, but there's lots of help. People in Eve University or general help are actually pretty helpful and about 80% of the players will tell you the truth 80% of the time.

But, if you really want to get a feel for what the game is truly about and why it really is great, read these articles from Cracked.com:

The 6 Most Spectacular Dick Moves in Online Gaming History
Read more: http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-spectacular-dick-moves-in-online-gaming-history/#ixzz3BCMMoLEl

The 5 Biggest Dick Moves in Online Gaming History (Part 5)
Read more: http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-biggest-dick-moves-in-online-gaming-history-part-5/#ixzz3BCMYxfQ3

The 7 Most Elaborate Dick Moves in Online Gaming History
Read more: http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-most-elaborate-dick-moves-in-online-gaming-history_p6/#ixzz3BCNoizp3

A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire

Comments

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

What makes you think that those who left EVE already know all this stuff?

I don't get the whole "the game has a steep learning curve" thing...I actually found it rather simple to learn about things like modules, industry and so on.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

I don't get the whole "the game has a steep learning curve" thing...I actually found it rather simple to learn about things like modules, industry and so on.

I find the whole steep learning curve thing by the fanboys really funny too.  That game is losing players like mad. Thats why you always see these types of post here all the time. Newbies are getting sick of the ganking and not playing anymore. I get comeback to Eve emails with deals all the time.

• IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Originally posted by Hariken

I find the whole steep learning curve thing by the fanboys really funny too.  That game is losing players like mad. Thats why you always see these types of post here all the time. Newbies are getting sick of the ganking and not playing anymore. I get comeback to Eve emails with deals all the time.

PvP wise it does have quite a steep learning curve.  Each ship has its individual characteristics which you need to learn, not just your own but every other ship in game that will potentially engage you.  Not just the ships either, but the likely fits on the ships you're fighting, which you'll need to guesstimate based on how they're fighting you.  Then there's all the meta-tricks of the latest patch you have to keep up with + a whole bunch of stuff to do with multi-tasking, cap management, transversal, optimal ranges... crapload of things that a newbie will get wiped out by as they learn.

Of course most of that stuff is negated by the hotdrops, baitships, gankage factor which no amount of knowledge will save you from if you engage the wrong target.  

Good to hear that CCP's taking sub hits from the horrible management, with any luck they'll fix the game, get rid of the turds that have it crap and I can go back and play it again.

• BurtzumBurtzum Member Posts: 67

Why were you traveling in your pod?  Noobships are free, all you need to do is dock somewhere to grab one, and have at least some sort of extra layer of protection over your pod. 

Freighters, Exhumers, and Battleships do indeed take quite a lot of training time to become proficient in.  They are also all very very boring ships to fly.  Cruisers are the best ship class in game, in my opinion.  Frigates can be a lot of fun as well.  Too many new players want to race to the big ships, thinking that they are better.  They end up rushing into a battleship without the skills to fly it proficiently, so it performs badly.  Then they try to compensate with expensive modules.  So now you have a low skill player with terrible stats flying a big slow loot pinata.  Guess what happens next?  Yep.  They get ganked.  Then they quit the game and cry about it. 

Also it takes far longer than 25 days to become a battleship pilot.  Far far longer.  Just because you have the skill to sit in a battleship doesn't mean you have any business in one.  There are all the support skills: powergrid, cpu, capacitor, navigation, gunnery, drones, etc.  All should be near maxed out before even thinking about training a battleship skill, in my opinion.  Don't have T2 large guns yet with maxed gunnery support skills?  Don't bother training the battleship hull yet.

New players:  Max out your skills in one T1 frigate, then its related T2/pirate frigate.  Then one T1 cruiser, then its related T2/pirate cruiser.  etc.  Don't race to big expensive ships with long training times.  Battleships are boring.  All you can do with them is grind boring level 4 missions, or join massive blobfests in nullsec. 

Well, battleships are also used for incursions, which are slightly less boring than missions.  But it will take forever to get skilled up properly for that.  If you want to get into incursions as a relatively new player, train for a logistics cruiser instead.  That will take 2 or 3 months to be well skilled for, and it's a cruiser.  Forget about battleships!

And no, an old player being able to fly battleships doesn't make him better than you.  It just allows him to be able to do things that battleships can do.  With proper skills and flying, your cruiser or frigate can evade his large guns all day long.  You can fit into sites that he can not fit into.  You can move much faster.  Evade other players far far better.  Battleships are terrible. 

And finally, there's more to do as a noob than grind asteroids or level 4 missions, that stuff is boring.  Look into exploration.  But be prepared for competition, this is a multiplayer game after all.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Bigger ship what I am use is  Battlecruiser with main character 50+sp mil,but in last half year  & more I mostly playing with alt 15 mil sp, FW & use t1 frigates with t2 fit,  every 3 months bought one plex and sell for 600-700 mil coz I am not farming isk, I am have no time for that & it is bored for me.

It is wonder how peoples have misunderstanding about EVE,it is free form game ,can play how liked & what liked ;New players & veterans mmo players just need forget & drop all what they make in other mmo's.

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258

The learning curve is not ridiculously steep, but it is steeper than any modern MMO I've played so far.

The biggest reason is because space naturally has different mechanics than you'd expect from most fantasy themeparks, and also eve's mechanics are something you will probably be punished for not knowing.

As for OP, welcome back to the game I guess? There isn't much reason why you'd travel on a pod in highsec btw. And to be fair I'd say the goal of the game is to simply seek what you find fun. You like making piles of isk (so do I, as a trader), but others have more fun blowing people up for income. It's really not that hard to avoid getting blown up unnecessarily, though.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Use interceptors with warp speed rigs for rapid travel: you will move a lot faster than in a pod. Time To Warp is no longer the most significant factor in travel speed these days.

I wouldn't say that accumulating ISK is the aim of the game, but accumulating ISK is certainly one perfectly legitimate goal.

For many, perhaps most of other players in the game, ISK is simply a tool to use in achieving whatever other goals they have.

(You can make a lot of money from players like this!)

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

Bigger ship what I am use is  Battlecruiser with main character 50+sp mil,but in last half year  & more I mostly playing with alt 15 mil sp, FW & use t1 frigates with t2 fit,  every 3 months bought one plex and sell for 600-700 mil coz I am not farming isk, I am have no time for that & it is bored for me.

It is wonder how peoples have misunderstanding about EVE,it is free form game ,can play how liked & what liked ;New players & veterans mmo players just need forget & drop all what they make in other mmo's.

This can't be overstated. Most of the people I know who did best in EVE didn't have an MMO background.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• Jaxon26Jaxon26 Member Posts: 23

The learning curve is not particularly steep to get into some stuff but mastery of it is very steep. 

As far as the ganking, I've played Eve on and off for 5 years and have been ganked twice. Once because I was carrying to much cargo in a ship that could be alphaed (my fault, it was business on their end) and once because I was travelling in only a pod (again my fault but the guy was also an evil bastard). 

The thing about Eve is that it's not particular fun on it's own merit. It touts incredible freedom and you can do virtually anything in multiple aspects of the game (combat, industry, trading, hauling, mining, piracy etc) but if you are looking for a game for game sake then it's probably not the most enjoyable. It's repetitive and honestly somewhat boring...on the surface. Where it gets interesting is in the meta level gaming.

How far can you push things?

How good can you be (I often take a gank ship and gank waiting gankers in bottleneck systems)?

How evil can you be?

How much isk can you make?

What do you use it for?

Those are the things that have a steeper learning curve and ultimately make the game more enjoyable than it is on it's own merits.