Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Landmark Combat and PvP! [First Impressions]

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    I'm speechless.. 
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Looking at combat in Landmark means Everquest Next is not for me . These types of action games is out. Well one less game for me to follow.
    Chamber of Chains
  • kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    I'm speechless.. 

i too am speechless........at how awful it looks.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Left click, right click and space bar... awesome gameplay !
  • munsil42munsil42 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Just was released, sky isn't falling down yet all you Doom & Gloomers.
  • VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    I have to admit, this looks pretty terrible so far. This makes me sad :(
  • Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Looks like we might get a contestant for the "Worst actioncombat to date" award. It looks really bad to.. sad... :(

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Why cant you just have fun with the combat?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by Raxxo82
    Looks like we might get a contestant for the "Worst actioncombat to date" award. It looks really bad to.. sad... :(

The Landmark was never really meant to be about combat anyway, so it was to be expected that the combat wouldn't blow minds.

This seems it might be what the very basic idea will be for Next, so yeah action combat, other than that no idea 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The firing is far too fast and looks silly.The bow shooter fires and loads incredibly fast exactly like GW2 and it looks bad.

However i think pvp type combat always looks bad in rpg's like REAL bad.If the mobs force this same silliness of randomly running around in zig zags then the game will not succeed.It just looks so silly running and jumping it brings back the term bunny hopping.I bet that bow shooter doesn't really have ammo to load

I do see some "very limited" map design with z-axis running up the ramp.That map is extremely low poly about as simple as you can get,if in the real game we get the expected poor SOE optimization with graphic stuttering then this action aim combat will be bad.The Mage again looks like GW2 spamming rather than a realistic CHARGE effect,it  just looks silly spamming magic out of the staff.

Yes i know this is a very early look see but i get the feeling those super cheap looking textures with the damage effects will not be any better come the game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

yeah, not my thing either. I wish it the best though!

• EnrifEnrif Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Originally posted by Azoth

isn't that every Shooter ever made in a nutshell? 

But this is only the first iteration of the gameplay. later you will have up to 12 skills

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Looking at combat in Landmark means Everquest Next is not for me . These types of action games is out. Well one less game for me to follow.

Here's my opinion:

The target audience - vast console market. 

It makes sense from a business perspective - SoE's current players are mostly all PC - with EQN they can tap into the console players and gain a whole new playerbase

This is why they have little interest at EQ1/EQ2 players at all - as EQN is a fundamentally different game

EQN is designed for controller play - it's an action game at heart - it will be pretty fun on a PS4 I'm sure, that's probably how I'll play it.

my 2c

oh yeah its so much fun to play with a reticle on a console. but its not, atleast for me. Reticle based combat is always better for PC then any console. if it would be combat like GW2 then the console comment would have atleast some sense.

and using reticle combat is smart as the forgelight engine already supports that very good with thousand of players concurrent at a time. Something no other reticle based game can on a massive scale (64x64 is not massive)

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Graphically it looks like something out of 2005. Gameplay looks freaking terrible. Just aim and click really, that's all I saw.
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by Enrif
    Originally posted by Azoth

isn't that every Shooter ever made in a nutshell? 

But this is only the first iteration of the gameplay. later you will have up to 12 skills

It does remind me a lot of quake tournament with all the bunny jumping

• buckeyebuckeye Member UncommonPosts: 70

Looks like shit. Landmark/Next had such potential with the team behind it. What huge letdown from SOE.

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Yikes, that looks terrible.  Gave me a headache after a couple of minutes.  Reminds me a bit of Darkfall, in both combat and graphics.  And that's not a compliment.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Well, I definitely wasn't expecting a third person shooter type combat system for Everquest.  Despite the bad optimization, the poor feedback, the apparent unbalance, I still want to give it a shot.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

There is a 300 plus post and counting thread on this forum that someone made talking about how EQNext is going to change everything and blow everyone away with its AI and its changing world blaa blaa blaa.

My response was simply, its over hyped, it's not going to change the core game play, its still going to play out like any MMO out there at the end of the day.

I was then attacked by the delusional that still believe the holly grail of MMO's is right around the corner and this crowd is currently clinging to EQNext.as their savior.

Landmark is  nothing more than a sounding board for EQNext so the developers can release ideas and concepts early to get player feedback so they don't embarrass themselves too bad with EQnext.

So what your seeing in Landmark is basically an alpha of EQnext core gameplay.

And what you see here is nothing earth shattering, and as such you will see nothing revolutionary in EQNext when it ships.  Just features ripped from currently available single player games. Stuff we have already seen again and again.

Now I actually LIKED the combat video in this thread, it looked fun and was about what I expect in EQNext for core gameplay.  See I'm a realist, I don't live in fantasy land like some people on these forums and IM hoping this brings some people back down to earth.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359

The first iteration of the first draft of combat in an Alpha build of the precursor to EQN.

Doom and gloom of an EPIC scale!

• supergfunksupergfunk Member UncommonPosts: 95
    OMG i hope this is not what they intend for launch!

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

Very fun combat. I can't wait for them to add more weapons. It is very much in line with Quake, Unreal, and similar arena FPS combat as opposed to games like Call of Duty and other 'tactical' FPS that you find which are built ground up for console. The magic and melee really adds a different dynamic than you find in any of those games. New weapons will further expand on the complexity of the combat as will the different armors that come later.

Its biggest downfall right now is the framerate which makes the staff the go-to weapon and that some people are running around with accessories and others are not. Some optimization and some arena options to control the use of accessories should solve both of those problems.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    really people, you complain about something that was JUST added to a BUILDING and exploration game.....get over your self's i mean honestly its not going to be perfect considering the game is still in an alpha phase.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Markusrind

The first iteration of the first draft of combat in an Alpha build of the precursor to EQN.

Anytime developers in previous games have released something for the players to experience it has always changed very little by the time the game ships. it doesn't matter if it was beta, alpha, or pre-alpha. If the developers have decided to put it in the hands of the players, then they think its pretty good, fun and enjoyable.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Markusrind

Exactly how much of this core element do you think is going to change?

And when the next element is released and people say "...Meh...nothing special here", and the next one after that, and the one following that...........

When do you start looking at what IS instead of what might never be?

Until they release a video that truly does show something worthy of this hype, then I'll take a serious look. Single player RPG combat in an MMORPG? Well, OK, it can certainly work, but it's not really impressive.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I don't know why people are acting so surprised, EQN was touted as an action combat game from the very beginning.  I'm so thankful I still have FFXIV to keep me occupied for the next year or two, after that, it may be the end of online gaming for me if every MMO is a FPS pretending to be an RPG.