Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Classes in SWTOR.

124»

Comments

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Originally posted by superniceguy

It just shows how restrictive the game is, and is mainly a single player adventure than a MMO. The game does not allow the Jedi and Sith to adventure in the same space, whereas other MMOs with factions do.

The LS and DS points are pretty useless as even if a Sith has 100% LS points still will not go Jedi, or vice versa with Jedi having 100% DS points.

A proper MMO would have given you a fresh character, and then choose which path to take, and then if you change your mind do a bit of grinding and be on the opposite side, but as SWTOR is story driven you can only follow the path Bioware has set out for you.

They could easily make Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, Commando, Agent be for both sides. So in SWTOR  there are no stormtrooper / smuggler characters on the Imperial side, and no Officers or Bounty Hunters on the republic side?

The game is an extremely linear themepark, which is why it ended up not doing so well. This game will always leave a sore taste in so many people's mouths because it could have been so much more. Felt like a waste of a license. I really tried to get into it personally, a few times even.

The game is an MMO version of KOTOR, which is all it ever promised to be. Its more of an MMO version of KOTOR, than ESO is an MMO version of an elder scrolls game.

And in what world is the 2nd most played MMO in the west "not doing so well"....

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Chieftan

The agent ranged tree is completely ignored by players.  It either needs a revamp or another adv. class option.

Wut? If you mean snipers, they're definitely not ignored by players. In fact, if you ignore them for too long in PvP, you'll be dead meat.

If you mean Lethality, the third tree for operatives and snipers. Well, it has never been the most popular spec, but I've played the smuggler equivalent and it can be surprisingly powerful.

My ideas for advanced classes so far:

Sith Inquisitor / Jedi Consular --> Sith Reaver / Jedi Seeker: wears medium armor and a single lightsaber and uses a combo of saber moves together with ranged force attacks.

Sith Warrior / Jedi Knight --> Sith Ravager / Jedi Weaponmaster: uses a double-bladed lightsaber and wears medium armor. Focuses on acrobatric attacks and can possible do AOE heals from melee range in one tree. Also has ranged force attacks.

Bounty Hunter / Trooper --> Beastmaster / Droid Engineer: wears heavy armor and uses a melee weapon (vibrosword / eletrostaff) together with the regular flamethrower etc. Can summon powerful pets into combat, seperate from companions.

Smuggler / Agent --> Gangster / Guardsman: wears medium armor and uses melee based abilities, can become a tank using some kind of active mitigation to buff or heal themselves.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390

It just shows how restrictive the game is, and is mainly a single player adventure than a MMO. The game does not allow the Jedi and Sith to adventure in the same space, whereas other MMOs with factions do.

The LS and DS points are pretty useless as even if a Sith has 100% LS points still will not go Jedi, or vice versa with Jedi having 100% DS points.

A proper MMO would have given you a fresh character, and then choose which path to take, and then if you change your mind do a bit of grinding and be on the opposite side, but as SWTOR is story driven you can only follow the path Bioware has set out for you.

They could easily make Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, Commando, Agent be for both sides. So in SWTOR  there are no stormtrooper / smuggler characters on the Imperial side, and no Officers or Bounty Hunters on the republic side?

The game is an extremely linear themepark, which is why it ended up not doing so well. This game will always leave a sore taste in so many people's mouths because it could have been so much more. Felt like a waste of a license. I really tried to get into it personally, a few times even.

Problem is your expectations in terms of the game design and not the game itself. If SWTOR ever claimed to be a sandbox game and then changed to themepark later on i would understand your complaints. But SWTOR is what it always wanted to be. A themepark MMO based on KOTOR series.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by allday88
    Originally posted by Thestrain

Bioware has shot themselves in foot by doing the whole VO, cutscenes and personal story thing.

Would be an enormous task to introduce new classes. So in my opinion we won't see any.

There is some truth to this, but I don't think doing one new class would be that enormous of an undertaking.  Granted I agree we will probably never see a full new class that's leveling experience is the same as other classes.

If you take the reports that they are profitable, making a ton of revenue, then you take in game experience such as an active healthy population a GTN with tons of CM items and combine those two you could hold out hope they have the resources available to create a new class.  

There are a couple options they could go.

1) fully vo just like all other classes

2) have the new class start at level 50

3) give each existing class an advance class

You make some good points here.  I think option 3 would be the most profitable and also quickest to release.  I would also be ok with this (if this was our only option).  I would love option 1 though.

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl
    Originally posted by Chieftan

The agent ranged tree is completely ignored by players.  It either needs a revamp or another adv. class option.

Wut? If you mean snipers, they're definitely not ignored by players. In fact, if you ignore them for too long in PvP, you'll be dead meat.

If you mean Lethality, the third tree for operatives and snipers. Well, it has never been the most popular spec, but I've played the smuggler equivalent and it can be surprisingly powerful.

My ideas for advanced classes so far:

Sith Inquisitor / Jedi Consular --> Sith Reaver / Jedi Seeker: wears medium armor and a single lightsaber and uses a combo of saber moves together with ranged force attacks.

Sith Warrior / Jedi Knight --> Sith Ravager / Jedi Weaponmaster: uses a double-bladed lightsaber and wears medium armor. Focuses on acrobatric attacks and can possible do AOE heals from melee range in one tree. Also has ranged force attacks.

Bounty Hunter / Trooper --> Beastmaster / Droid Engineer: wears heavy armor and uses a melee weapon (vibrosword / eletrostaff) together with the regular flamethrower etc. Can summon powerful pets into combat, seperate from companions.

Smuggler / Agent --> Gangster / Guardsman: wears medium armor and uses melee based abilities, can become a tank using some kind of active mitigation to buff or heal themselves.

I really like your class ideas.  Especially the sith/jedi classes.  The only thing I would maybe change personally.  Is the Sith ravager/ Jedi Weaponmaster to use heavy armor.  I love using an eradicator armor set for my assassin.  It makes it appear like he's using heavy armor.  Thanks for posting your ideas!

Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Thestrain

Problem is your expectations in terms of the game design and not the game itself. If SWTOR ever claimed to be a sandbox game and then changed to themepark later on i would understand your complaints. But SWTOR is what it always wanted to be. A themepark MMO based on KOTOR series.

Not to mention the "Felt like a waste of a license" comment. KOTOR is arguably the best use of the license of any star wars videogame. SWTOR is a themepark MMO version of KOTOR as announced since day 1. When people play a star wars game, they want a game to mimic their faovrite charecters from the movies....a sith lord...a jedi...a smuggler like han solo who hits on chicks etc...a bounty hunter like boba fett.......You know which game wasted the license proper?....SWG......that statement is not a judgement on the game itself, but it unquestionably felt almost nothing like "star wars" game pre NGE. Even die hard SWG fans were bringing that up to SOE since day 1. You know what you can do without the star wars license? Entertainers, Polititians, beast masters, farmers, traders, and pretty much everything you could do in SWG. You know what you can't do without the license? Play as Jedi or sith, mandalorian bounty hunter, imperial agents, and pretty much most of what is contained in SWTOR. Can you imagine claiming SWTOR is a waste of a license because it has Sith, Jedi, smugglers, bounty hunters etc, and not "beast masters or entertainers" lol.

You definitely make a good argument.  I have always thought and expected basically KoToR 3/MMO before SWTOR launched.  I got exactly what I expected.  It's always my fall back mmo between mmos.  I wish people would just enjoy what SWTOR is and not what it could of been. 

Also, I agree with you about snipers.  At launch, if I recall they weren't that great.  But, at least since the hutt cartel expac.  They have done crazy good dps.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

An actual pet class. For Pvp they have a pet. For open world they have pet and companion.

An engineer type class that specializes in traps or bots like a pet class or a bit of both.

A class that uses mounts to do dmg. Give every class a roll/dodge ability.

illusionist or hologram artist. Puts up clones of other players. 

Put combo classes. A class of two players that alternate abilities for a rotation.

similar to combo class, put high dmg combo to other classes abilities. For example for push and another force jumps in mid air. Or shot in mid air (read as initiated when in mid air). Mid air dmg does 1.1 more dmg and shows special animation.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

Originally posted by Incomparable

An actual pet class. For Pvp they have a pet. For open world they have pet and companion.

An engineer type class that specializes in traps or bots like a pet class or a bit of both.

A class that uses mounts to do dmg. Give every class a roll/dodge ability.

illusionist or hologram artist. Puts up clones of other players. 

Put combo classes. A class of two players that alternate abilities for a rotation.

similar to combo class, put high dmg combo to other classes abilities. For example for push and another force jumps in mid air. Or shot in mid air (read as initiated when in mid air). Mid air dmg does 1.1 more dmg and shows special animation.

The combo class idea is interesting.  I honestly have never heard an idea like that.  I personally might not want to play that type of class.  But, I would love to see something unique like that added.  Especially for those who would really enjoy it!  Thank you for taking the time to post your ideas!

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

My vote is for moisture farmer.

But really, maybe a teras kasi class or something.