Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do some people say you won't find an MMO like World of Warcraft?

2»

Comments

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

WoW just have superb dungeon and raid.  After 10 years, I still havn't played a game with better dungeon and raid than wow.

That being said, I havn't try wildstar.

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Originally posted by steelwind

Short answer, absolutely nothing.

The reality imho, these same players pass up superior games because of time invested in wow. These same players feel like their time spent in wow is a complete waste if they ever leave. The longer they stay, the harder it is to leave.

This personally boggles my mind but it's a hill to die on for them. I just feel bad for players still playing a 10 year old game with 10 year old mechanics while sticking their heads in the sand to new innovation to protect their mental block of lost time.

This is the only way I can make sense of this Wow is king stuff and is purely my opinion.

you are not alone in that opinion either,i blame WoW for all the sub par mmo's that exist.WoW's success said to devs and companies that this is what we want and this is what sells and no it is not!

every year WoW get more streamlined and simplified,I know people who play WoW that seriously do not know other mmo's even exist,even after you tell them they do.I want choices,options and freedom.

WoW is like your starter mmo,WoW is mmo's on training wheels.WE can do better as a genre and as customers we deserve better!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by JDis25

Warcraft is still one of the best PvP MMOs out there.

This is a troll post, right? WoW is a PvE game. It's PvP is shallow and not even related to the main game.

AC, UO, DAoC, Eve, Darkfall, SB, all better PvP.

• NIIINIII Member UncommonPosts: 113

Probably nostalgia.

However, my personal answer to the question is;

While other MMOs may 'clone' WoW as far as mechanics, or aesthetic, none can compare in terms of lore, or substance.

I think of this more as 'soul'. For example, Rift was a really nice game that improved upon alot of WoW's mechanics, and brought some of it's own to the table. It lasted a while, but ultimately I began to feel detached from the world, and thus the NPCs. There didn't seem to be a reason to do anything, and so I didn't have an interest in progression.

The same can be said about a number of MMOs.

But this is my opinion. Take it or leave it. :3

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

This is a troll post, right? WoW is a PvE game. It's PvP is shallow and not even related to the main game.

I think he mean instanced pvp similar to MOBA.  WoW does have one of the best instanced consensual pvp "for a mmorpg".

The games you listed is more world vs world, or FFA pvp.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

No, MOBA PvP is shallow. WoW's PvP is perfectly acceptable to qualify as some of the best RPG PvP around. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but that doesn't mean it is bad.

I consider EvE different from standard MMOs as well, but I agree.

Notice all of the games you listed besides EvE are super old. Not all of us want to play a game that old and grindy for a variety of reasons.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Dughtee

The title says it.

I need your opinions on this.  What does WoW do so good that other MMOs don't and vice versa?

Also, please answer honestly, as I am not trolling.

You will find a dozend of games like WoW.. but not one MMO with that amount of subscribers.. and that was meant.. you will not find a MMO (with that many subscriber/playerbase/that successful) like World of Warcraft. That's that.

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123

The title says it.

I need your opinions on this.  What does WoW do so good that other MMOs don't and vice versa?

its an old school mmorpg with 10 years post development in it. its the best there is nothing like it that can compete.

plus its done by blizzard. the best in the business.

pretty obvious really.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Here's my take on WoW. Almost every game has the same item system as WoW. Items are either color tiered and/or item level based in pretty much every game now. Item tiers have always exist long before WoW was made; however, what WoW does different than a lot of games is their reforge system. Too many people collect gear just because of a higher item level and this is where games like FFXIV fail in my opinion. Sure people can reach 105 etc but they dont know how much accuracy is necessary for certain bosses or what primary/secondary stats are best for their jobs. So what's the point of a high item level if you can't hit stuff? The advantage to wow is that they can reforge useless stats to a degree so even if the item is kinda junk for your class, its still pretty useful till you find something better. And of course the flying and easy mode of the game. However, I think Warlords is going to kill the game.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I read an article on another site the other day asking "What do you want in a WoW 2"
    And most of the comments went as follows:

I want these [insert game name} features [Goes on to list all major features of said game] in a Wow Wrapper.

Which is really puzzling to think about because:
    Why arnt they playing the other game?
    Do they want WoW + Other game?
    what portion of the other game isnt wow enough?

Which seems to conduce that gamers still want WoW clones...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

The title says it.

Why keep ppl buying and using drugs when everyone say to them it's bad for them?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Are we talking vanilla WOW here or what it is today (which is still the biggest and baddest)

Huge HUGE open world without loading screens between zones.

Different and unique starting areas for each race.

Great sense of humor in the game (jf you understand American culture)

True factions that created hate and love towards and against the other side, you couldn't communicate with the other side at all, people you didn't know had your back (your faction).  You couldn't roll the other faction on the same server. And that was very very important on PVP servers.

Cross faction auction house in TANARIS

Content, content, content

Though some dislike the art style nothing looks out of place the whole game worlds art style flows together

Unique classes and unique class skills that gave you a real desire to re-roll or fear another class, this opposed to todays everyone can do everything classes.

Silky smooth animations and super responsive combat mechanics

Used to have super strict policy on character names, foul language in chat, and player abuse (strict and enforced player policies)

Consistent and reliable game servers

Great gear itemization and upgrade paths

Content, content, content

PvP arenas and battlegrounds that people actually played and were rewarded for

They didn't throw  a mount at you at level 1 first mount was what 40? epic at 60? IF you had the gold, and most didn't have the gold.  You had to actually earn stuff in that game.

Epics items had VALUE they didn't rain from the sky like in todays games, even todays wow.  You could link them in world chat and people would freak out about an epic.

Dungeon gear sets were HARD as hell to get, those were only BLUES!!  And when you had it, it was a huge accomplishment that people acknowledge.  Having your raiding EPIC set, you were a god! ha!

Everything in the game was acquired with IN GAME GOLD and your efforts, not some retarded secondary CASH based currency.  You were truly immersed in the game world, not managing your personal finances to make sure you didn't spend too much real money.

Because of this, the game was a LEVEL playing field for all.

Now most of this is meaningless, since todays games just throw everything at you from the start of the game to keep people from leaving for the next F2P that comes out. 

Just a few things that popped out at me.

• leahriddleleahriddle Member CommonPosts: 16

WOW is a good product itself. It runs 10 year and Blizzard keeps running  it  well. Many people say "Wow clones".

I can find  many MMO games imitating WOW in their gameplay, pictures and even plots .

I think many people grows up with WOW, or saying this, WOW acompany many people with their old golden days .

There are friendship and memories,which is irreplaceable

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.