Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So many games to pick from, and still you havent found yours.

TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

We have all seen the threads on how this game sucks or this game are the best since UO, and everything in the between.

We who have played MMOs for  10-15 years always have fond memories when we played in the "old" days and we are all looking for the next big thing that will take us back to that forgotten era, but when a new MMO comes along, we find faults in it.

So my question is this why are we and you never content with the MMOs that comes along every year? I mean for all you old farts next gen game should be in the holodeck but even then I doubt  you would find rest and a home, you will find something to complain about.

So why has it come to this?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I think for many people it's nostalgia. Reality tends to have a hard time competing with it.

While others fell in love with certain game mechanics/features that have fallen out of favor in today's modern MMOs, because they were too boring, too grindy, forced people to group or GTFO, etc...

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

I have found mine in a mixture of Pirate 101, SWTOR and currently some Firefall.  

But I do not expect to play games for extended periods of time, after all the content is always finite.  I enjoy variety, so I show a keen interest in most new mmo's, RPG SP, FPS or TPS games that come along.  When the games are poorly realised or just plain bad, then I why would I not state that opinion? 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Torgrim

We have all seen the threads on how this game sucks or this game are the best since UO, and everything in the between.

We who have played MMOs for  10-15 years always have fond memories when we played in the "old" days and we are all looking for the next big thing that will take us back to that forgotten era, but when a new MMO comes along, we find faults in it.

So my question is this why are we and you never content with the MMOs that comes along every year? I mean for all you old farts next gen game should be in the holodeck but even then I doubt  you would find rest and a home, you will find something to complain about.

you are mistaking people on forums like this for the norm.  Many normal people do indeed miss old games in their old state, but also enjoy greatly new games.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I actually don't have much of a problem playing today's games even though I had fun in the older ones. I had good times in DAoC and SWG, but today I'm having just as good of a time in games like STO, WoW, D3.

I don't really miss the older ones much, and I don't really get why others do seeing as how they are still around, well except not SWG.

The classics like EQ, UO, and DAoC are still up and running though. Maybe they just miss the higher populations? IDK.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

I think for many people it's nostalgia. Reality tends to have a hard time competing with it.

While others fell in love with certain game mechanics/features that have fallen out of favor in today's modern MMOs, because they were too boring, too grindy, forced people to group or GTFO, etc...

For some people it's probably nostalgia, but for me at least it's my own imaginings of an ideal MMO that reality doesn't event try to compete with, rather than any actual past games.  I want to play an MMO that's like being in an interactive novel, and specifically a good novel that's at least mostly "my cup of tea".

Though, one thing does baffle me.  What are my two favorite MMO elements? Crafting and monster hunting (solo or with 1 friend).  The two other biggest MMO players I know?  Monster hunting and crafting.  Age of all 3 people 30+.  So where is the MMO which specializes in crafting and PvE with a story aimed at grown-ups?  Grown-ups who aren't terribly into the horror/paranormal craze that has monopolized the past several years.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    ^^ GW2, crafting path for legendary is just that and sSeason 2 is much more in the GW1 style :)  no gear whoring and balancing issues is refreshing in this day and age, just wish more would realise it :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I played them then I play them now. I think many mmos have more to offer now than ever but I also get bored of " the same thing"

Remaking the past isn't the answer.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I'm still waiting got a game that lets me learn all skills and crafts fly change shape build a house brick and board style decorate it without an item limit. And still had tons of quests and mounts.

And oh course looks really good with no lag.

Sigh. Not to much to ask is it.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Got equals for
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Personally i don't consider myself a typical old fart sticking to old games and never moving forward,i have ALWAYS held a certain criteria and i look for that.

It goes way back to being young and playing sports.i am a calculative,thinking ,strategic type player and that is what i look for in my games.

That is why i absolutely detest the common trend in game design which is to follow around yellow markers like some dumb zombie and do that the entire game.Then what makes me laugh is games that do this but then you hit end level and they pretend to all of a sudden be a grouping game inside instances.

How can you solo an entire game then be at all efficient grouping.How can you call yourself an MMO yet the entire end game takes place in an instance,both ideals are to me dumb founded and 100% definitely NOT part of my criteria.

Then you consider that almost every game,like 99% of them have this exact design,then you understand the WHY,it is so hard to find a decent game to play.It has nothing to do with old school gamer's not accepting new games,we are just not accepting the same old design with lazier hand holding and easier less thinking game play.

Give me something that makes sense,Dailies do not make sense in a rpg sense,soloing does not make sense in a MMO sense,instances do not make sense in a MMO sense,the whole present day design to me is just sad.What it really looks like to me are that developers are AFRAID to invest into a triple A game,so they are building really cheap cost effective designs then trying to market them with fancy terms or gimmicks but still the development is of double A standards not triple A.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I think part of it is, as much as I don't really like the phrase "human nature" to always want more, no matter what you already have.

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

i know that im still waiting for that mmo of my dreams, i have come to understand that it will take many more years before I see it. because of many reasons, development time being one reason, budget being another, getting the tech updated is a third.

I have also understood that what i dream of just can not be done currently because of these mentioned factors.

This does not mean the mmo of my dreams will never be made, i know it will, and I'll be a happy player when its released!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

So my question is this why are we and you never content with the MMOs that comes along every year?

Because they're all the same, and they all lack the things I liked about the Golden Age MMORPGs. It's quite simple.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I'm sure many people who prefer the older games are like me and actually play them even if they aren't perfect. I've tried pretty much every new MMO to come out in the last couple of years but they all have something wrong with them or just feel meh after a month so I just end up going back to DDO or EVE or maybe LOTRO.

There's no perfect game. It's like people who end up lonely because they are looking for the perfect girl (or boy). Sometimes settling isn't so bad. At least with MMOs it's easy to dump your current choice if you think you see something better and then "get back with it" later if needed. :)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i found mine the day GW2 launched. But i like different games so i keep looking on the side. I would not picture myself playing a single mmorpg for years and years doing the same thing over and over without looking for something different. Sure an mmorpg can be a home, but if i dont taste something different on the side i will get sick. So yeah, dont want to sound redundant but i have a home (GW2) and many flavors on the side.

EDIT: yeah that came off pretty redundant..... whatever, you get the idea.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    So it really can't be that the games or companies associated with the games just suck? I like that reason tbh, mainly cause its true.
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    So it really can't be that the games or companies associated with the games just suck? I like that reason tbh, mainly cause its true.

As I said before, a bad game is a bad game, blaming players for pointing this out is just absurd.  

If you release unfinished, buggy, generic, derivative, tedious games; then you can not blame the players for disliking your games.

For me, WS is a prime example of this and you can see the player response.  Blame the players all you want, but if people do not enjoy your game it suggests there is something wrong with your game and not the players.   

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I once started a thread about how I think this is a great time to be a gamer because all the choices.   You may call 2000-2005 the Golden Age but this is the Silver Age then.  Very few people agreed with me.  Of course, not surprising considering the negativity around these forums.  I love gaming in 2014!  There are so many choices and it appears even more on the horizon.  Not enough time.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I once started a thread about how I think this is a great time to be a gamer because all the choices.   You may call 2000-2005 the Golden Age but this is the Silver Age then.  Very few people agreed with me.  Of course, not surprising considering the negativity around these forums.  I love gaming in 2014!  There are so many choices and it appears even more on the horizon.  Not enough time.

It's a good time for gaming, but for MMORPGs we're still in the dark ages.

The Golden Age (1997-2003) was considered such because of how many different and diverse games were being made, at exceptional quality levels. Nowadays, it's WoW, or WoW with slight variations, and we STILL haven't pulled away from that, and that's why there are STILL people who are looking for "their" MMO.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

The problem is that just about every game release PROMISES to be the next great thing. Of course, it usually turns out to just be the same old thing in a newer more colorful wrapper. Let's face it, MMO's have not improved much if at all. The picture you see may look prettier but the basics of these games just never really changes.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    I think for many people it's nostalgia. Reality tends to have a hard time competing with it.While others fell in love with certain game mechanics/features that have fallen out of favor in today's modern MMOs, because they were too boring, too grindy, forced people to group or GTFO, etc...
    I am so sick of "must be nostalgia" replies. Us "old farts" must be retarded or incompetent because surely, all those old games SUCKED! Get a clue, please.

Depth is gone. ALL characters are the same. ALL skills are the same. Everything basically boils down to "How fast can you kill other things?" You know what? There is more to video games than just "kill everything in sight."

Get off of the "Nostalgia" crap. Go play a real game that involves more than just kill things. Oh wait, you don't like those games.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by flizzer

It's also a great time for fast food lover, there is one every 25 feet. If you like cheap crap you are living in a dream world !

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    So many games to pick from. Shame that 90% of them are the same tired game with a reskin.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by PioneerStew
    I have found mine in a mixture of Pirate 101, SWTOR and currently some Firefall.  

But I do not expect to play games for extended periods of time, after all the content is always finite.  I enjoy variety, so I show a keen interest in most new mmo's, RPG SP, FPS or TPS games that come along.  When the games are poorly realised or just plain bad, then I why would I not state that opinion? 

I have not been playing that long but the simple reason i cant stick with games is they wont let me "invest in them".

I really want to have a connection with my character and for that character actually has some distinctiveness and not "Mage232".

Second to that, the games i do find interesting are always destroyed by the mainstream pressure from players. Seems players always want to trim the fat and make a game as straight forward as possible, removing the games individuality in the process.

And finally, Seems the idea of "Lots of players in a virtual world" gets crushed up and put into a box of "being a themepark or sandbox" limiting the scope of the game.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by PioneerStew

I have not been playing that long but the simple reason i cant stick with games is they wont let me "invest in them".

I really want to have a connection with my character and for that character actually has some distinctiveness and not "Mage232".

Second to that, the games i do find interesting are always destroyed by the mainstream pressure from players. Seems players always want to trim the fat and make a game as straight forward as possible, removing the games individuality in the process.

I agree with this.  Streamlining in many games has gone too far, they have cut away a lot of the meat with the fat.  As an example I enjoy exploring- and maps with trivial tasks in every corner and ubiquitous fast travel destroy this.