Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I was thinking of re rolling to get off my dead server but then i saw this...

Comments

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Of course this is just the opinion of a few people, but all my friends hated it for the combat (in addition to other problems mentioned here). All the ground shape indicators and such make it feel like someone tried to turn Smite into an MMO. I couldn't stand this style of combat myself, either.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

well I still hold the position that its the mostly the art style choice that has made most gamers not interested but in all fairness I said the same thing about WoW

I love the art style. It's bright and colorful while other MMOs are going for drab and brown.

The problem is that many players raced through the content and didn't like the endgame.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Honestly carbine deserves this.  They boasted so hard about producing the greatest MMO with the most content, and the most hardcore game ever and fell flat on their face for trying to copy vanilla WoW.  Apparently since they worked on vanilla WoW, they should know how bad it did in sales compared to the expansions that followed.  

Getting 40 people on the same schedule is not hardcore.  Grinding is not hardcore.  Telegraphs out the ass are not hardcore, and lastly the absolute joke lore and atmosphere is not hardcore or memorable in the slightest.   I said this ship would sink way before it even launched, this doesn't surprise me at all.  

I said the same thing before the game launched and the "hardcore, hardcore" were screaming bloody murder, die your stupid PVE idiot blah blah blah, well look where the game ended.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by pantaro
    Originally posted by PioneerStew
    Originally posted by pantaro
    Originally posted by keithian
    Lol this thread is so funny when I think about so many here lurking in the ESO forums trying to bring that game down only to cling onto what I said since beta would be a flop. Little by little the fans of this game, Forbes, and the staff of this site who over rated and over hyped this game are starting to look more and more....well... Insert adjective here______. It also is starting to make a lot of professional review sites look like they are completely out of touch with reality.

I love me some ESO SON! :P seriously i do!

I agree with Keith regarding review sites.  The metacritic score for Wildstar is 82; all this tells me is that these reviews were written long before the initial veneer wore off and the core mechanics shone through, i.e. far too early to have any meaning.  I think these reviewers were blinded by all the flashing text and urgent timers.   

Most reviews and the pre-release hype articles on sites such as this are overwhelmingly positive where a little objectivity (or at least presenting an alternative viewpoint) would serve the site's users much better.  I think the player response to WS certainly shows that a little more objectivity is required.  

personally i find most mmo reviews to be a total joke,they make for a good laugh for me tho.I'd rather watch a favorite streamer play the game i would get more info out of that.

starting to think more and more you are correct. For me really it wasn't even about the raids or the fact that the graphics weren't for me...as I know everybody has different tastes. It was that 1/2 the game is PVE and the PVE was such a trivial hub based wall of text boring grindfest that I saw no reason why anyone would want to take a step backwards from more solid questing experiences like SWTOR or ESO or from an already established and polished with endless content world of Azeroth (WOW). Also, drawing way too much of your eyes to combat circles instead of to what was on the screen was a HUGE mistake and I think Bill the reviewer underestimated what happens when the core of the game itself is trivial compared to its established competition.

As far as reviewers, it's obvious to me that NCsoft spreads the money around well. Say good things they might throw some money your way. 

And the tin hat award goes to ^

It seems that reviewers in general take on a title and play to a relatively low level, get invited by the Devs to run a dungeon or two, and jump to the writing. While it seems like they only 'taste' the game, I'm fairly certain they aren't as neurotic and ADHD prone as most of the crowd here. I've never seen a reviewer rush to end content and pronounce their Epeen-ness in a forum, proclaiming their review to be 'truth' or 'the reason why is failing'. I'm also fairly certain that if a reviewer was paid by the Devs, THAT info would get leaked pretty quickly. Tin hat conspiracies are cute though.

QFT. Even the devs were chasing players away who were no the hardcore of the hardcore, well they got what they wanted.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310
    Wildstar is still in the Top 20 most played PC games right now tons of people playing are still talking about how populated the later areas are still, even the smaller servers. Carbine has also said their servers are bigger than other games, low population can count for medium or high on other games.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    Would the game have been more successful without the hyperactive, action combat?  That's what made me quit, not the concern of having to find a raid group.

Do you know what genuinely was the final straw for me.  I was minding my own business questing, when for the 200th time that day some time trial started (entirely unwanted and uninitiated by me) and a clock appeared in the corner of my screen and started counting down and flashing in the most irritatingly distracting manner.  I tried to ignore it, but then for the 200th time that day FAILED appeared in huge red letters across my screen.  How could I fail?  I didn't even want to do the fucking quest but it was forced upon me, and even then I chose not to partake.  It had been building up for a while and there were several reasons, but that was the point I quit out and cancelled my subscription.    

I'm with you on the time trials. There's no warning for most of them. I could identify a few and avoided them until I was ready.

I will say I appreciate the fact WildStar took chances. It went with an original IP, a bright art style, humor, player housing, etc. Most of it was new to me because I didn't have a diverse MMO background. But this game is breaking me. I want to play it. I want to love it. But bit by bit I felt my enthuiasm for the game diminish. I still enjoy it, but not as much as I feel I should. This could be what drives me away from MMOs.

• sonicwhip2sonicwhip2 Member Posts: 86
    So glad I didn't buy into the false hype and waste money on this game.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    "best MMO period" - Carbine...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Originally posted by Aison2
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Honestly the reason I quit was that the combat was taking a horrible toll on my shoulder and elbow joints. It was simply too much ,they need to tone the action stuff down.

How? Can't see how pressing wasd while playing puts any strain on shoulder/elbow.

It's not the WASD it was the mouseturn.

Chamber of Chains
  • macwoodmacwood Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by TankYou88
     low population can count for medium or high on other games.

LOL

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Originally posted by Alverant
    Would the game have been more successful without the hyperactive, action combat?  That's what made me quit, not the concern of having to find a raid group.

Do you know what genuinely was the final straw for me.  I was minding my own business questing, when for the 200th time that day some time trial started (entirely unwanted and uninitiated by me) and a clock appeared in the corner of my screen and started counting down and flashing in the most irritatingly distracting manner.  I tried to ignore it, but then for the 200th time that day FAILED appeared in huge red letters across my screen.  How could I fail?  I didn't even want to do the fucking quest but it was forced upon me, and even then I chose not to partake.  It had been building up for a while and there were several reasons, but that was the point I quit out and cancelled my subscription.    

I'm with you on the time trials. There's no warning for most of them. I could identify a few and avoided them until I was ready.

I do agree that these are annoying. I guess people never did them, when after the first time you had to hand-start them via the quest log? So Carbine added this autostart to make it more convenient.

This might help a little:

1) run entspy add-on; it puts a marker on the terrain where you have to walk to trigger the challenge; avoid that spot

2) when the challenge starts you can just click the little "x" in the top right corner of the challenge timer to fail it right away; click that again and it closes the challenge box; incidentally there is also a retry button there to kick the challenge off again on your own terms

Maybe someday Carbine will add a menu option to disable the auto start for challenges.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by macwood

LOL

Hehe, that's what came to mind for me too.

Along with "Well, that's damn stupid of the devs then." Because perception is reality to a lot of people, and showing them "Low" is a good way to send them right into panic mode.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by ButeoRegalis
    Originally posted by Alverant

I do agree that these are annoying. I guess people never did them, when after the first time you had to hand-start them via the quest log? So Carbine added this autostart to make it more convenient.

This might help a little:

1) run entspy add-on; it puts a marker on the terrain where you have to walk to trigger the challenge; avoid that spot

2) when the challenge starts you can just click the little "x" in the top right corner of the challenge timer to fail it right away; click that again and it closes the challenge box; incidentally there is also a retry button there to kick the challenge off again on your own terms

Maybe someday Carbine will add a menu option to disable the auto start for challenges.

Good advice but it comes too late for me.  Like I said it was the final straw that broke the camels back, but the camel was mostly dead by then anyway.  

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Wildstar is still in the Top 20 most played PC games right now tons of people playing are still talking about how populated the later areas are still, even the smaller servers. Carbine has also said their servers are bigger than other games, low population can count for medium or high on other games.

Did i ever tell you the definition of "Insanity"?

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Haha what's new?

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by Shodanas

Did i ever tell you the definition of "Insanity"?

I might have missed the definition of insanity, but I know the definition of BS.  

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Poor Wildstar...we hardly knew ya!
  • PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250

Wildstar is dead. "tons of people playing" - maybe in true weight, but I doubt that. I opened a ticket for a refund - my reason was low population, nobody to play with. I received my refund in 2 days.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

MMORPGs are generally in downward trend.  Number of incoming AAA MMORPG games is diminishing, player interest in mmorpgs is diminishing,  even mmorpg sites in order to try to save visitor / users numbers are de-facto changing to 'general gaming' - with reporting on moba, lobby, non-mmo online and even single player games nowadays.

Wildstar that looks like children mmorpg that in middle of development was changed to raider 'adult' mmorpg with many bad ideas (awful questing,  bad combat, telegraphs, attunement,  etc)  is just sinking faster than other new releases.    Above reasons I've mentioned are only reasons for faster sinking, but those are not reasons for sinking in first place.

MMORPGs are losing, because they not solved problems that exist in MMORPG for last 10+ years.  Problems that players don't want to live with anymore and problems that are actually getting worse for most part as time passes.

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by macwood

LOL

Exactly my reaction when i read what he wrote.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Sulaa

MMORPGs are generally in downward trend.  Number of incoming AAA MMORPG games is diminishing, player interest in mmorpgs is diminishing,  even mmorpg sites in order to try to save visitor / users numbers are de-facto changing to 'general gaming' - with reporting on moba, lobby, non-mmo online and even single player games nowadays.

Wildstar that looks like children mmorpg that in middle of development was changed to raider 'adult' mmorpg with many bad ideas (awful questing,  bad combat, telegraphs, attunement,  etc)  is just sinking faster than other new releases.    Above reasons I've mentioned are only reasons for faster sinking, but those are not reasons for sinking in first place.

MMORPGs are losing, because they not solved problems that exist in MMORPG for last 10+ years.  Problems that players don't want to live with anymore and problems that are actually getting worse for most part as time passes.

One thing I always enjoy about MMORPG.COM forums is the fact that I get to glimpse the interesting and diverse alternate realities that other people live in... image

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by Sulaa

Please stop equating below average success of one MMO with entire MMORPG genre. If anything MMOS are making more money than they ever did and also has lot more players.

By the way pass me whatever it is that you smoking. Looks like a good stuff.

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63

Where did you get top 20? on Raptr its currently #42 with 68,937 hours for weekly hours, #32 on month hours 421,562, and it doesn't even appear on the All section of hours.