Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strife: Open Beta Begins

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

S2 Games has announced that its forthcoming MOBA, Strife, has officially entered open beta. The open beta kicks off with new single player features to give players an opportunity to explore the game in new ways.

Strife is a free to play MOBA that features deep, collaborative gameplay and includes purchasable cosmetic upgrades. S2 focused their knowledge and industry experience on an engaging, enjoyable, team PvP game. One key design goal was to evolve the genre to create a more accessible MOBA with a high skill ceiling. Strife offers a rich experience that rewards everyone on the team for their role in victory.

New features launching with Open Beta include single player content that allows players to interact with Strife's lore, a companion app that allows players to check stats, craft items, and earn free resources from anywhere, and a partnership with Curse Voice to allow players to easily connect with friends.

Find out more on the Strife site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    They're a couple years late on the dotaclone bandwagon, good effort though.
  • BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296
    Originally posted by Iceman8235

They made the original DOTA clone lol.  It is called Heroes of Newerth.  This is their LoL clone.  

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669

I suppose people should stop making FPS games because they're about 20 years too late right?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Okay so yeah, just finished playing a match of Strife and it's typical of any other MOBA with some minor tweaks in gameplay.

yeah although the little tweaks are cool i think the game is still not very unique gameplay wise. I still think if they wanted to have a more casual moba they could have made HoN more accessible or something. But hey, i like the flying Megaman chick in Strife lol (except for her ultimate, which doesnt deal any damage.)

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    MOBAs ARE NOT MMORPGS. their not even RPGs, their barely multiplayer rts adventure games.
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

Yeah, it's very simplistic with the route they've gone without removing core mechanics. Which could be bad. I like the graphics more than Heroes of Newerth. I'm currently wrecking people with Rook.

yeah same here, my only excuse to play HoN over Strife is that i love the HoN character called Fayde. lol If i was an S2Games dev i would add her to Strife  in a more stylized design.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

How many MOBA's can the market support ?

Games like LoL succeed because they have tens of millions of players, so if only 10% of the players spend money, it's still a huge sum. But they're not ALL going to attract such massive crowds.

• HaralinHaralin Member UncommonPosts: 148
    just another moba game it is geting boring

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Hands down the worst game I've played in this genre. It's not just a derivative moba - it's also an ugly, dull, and bare-bones one. 

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by Aeander
    Hands down the worst game I've played in this genre. It's not just a derivative moba - it's also an ugly, dull, and bare-bones one. 

I personally think those comments should go towards Heroes of the Storm, lol. Seeing as blizzard stripped out much of the mechanics in a moba.

What? Being innovative and making a game a little different than other of the genre is bad?  All of these MOBAs copied Blizzard characters in the first place with DOTA, and they all went from there.

I bet Blizzard's game will be better than all of them so far  and no I don't play Diablo or WOW. But I think their MOBA looks the most original and best of all of these.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

KRYTOS THE WHITE APE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F*K YEAH

BEEN WAITING FOR A WHITE APE CHARACTER FOR DECADES

I FINALLY CAN LIVE MY DREAM

ah wait, just remembered I've been dreaming of playing a grey/white ape, not quite the right color, sigh

• ExiledTyrantExiledTyrant Member UncommonPosts: 69
    I haven't played for the last 5 months or so on strife but all I can say is one of S2's biggest MOBA fualts has been their inability to stop griefing. HON had it's own flavor it stole from DOTA and made worse. This whole exp pool and gold pool that is shared opened up a whole new can of worms for what people can do to intentionally and unintentionally grief their team. That and the mitigation system was garbage.

"Do not speak to me of fate!" ~ A fairy tale for the Demon Lord

Originally posted by Denambren

KRYTOS THE WHITE APE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F*K YEAH

BEEN WAITING FOR A WHITE APE CHARACTER FOR DECADES

I FINALLY CAN LIVE MY DREAM

ah wait, just remembered I've been dreaming of playing a grey/white ape, not quite the right color, sigh

that monkey is too OP at the moment. If you unleash it, it wipes an entire lane all the way to the base in a single run.

• ExiledTyrantExiledTyrant Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by ExiledTyrant
    I haven't played for the last 5 months or so on strife but all I can say is one of S2's biggest MOBA fualts has been their inability to stop griefing. HON had it's own flavor it stole from DOTA and made worse. This whole exp pool and gold pool that is shared opened up a whole new can of worms for what people can do to intentionally and unintentionally grief their team. That and the mitigation system was garbage.

Shared exp/gold doesn't do anything negative for your team. I've played around 15 matches now and I'm averaging first to 15, 600-700gpm, and top kills/asist on my team. There's nothing negative about my team sharing gold. In fact it's more beneficial as a whole now seeing as it's split between your allies. No more, "I'm the carry and I need it all" comments.

I do feel that the game could have benefited from the ability to deny your opponent's kills though, oh well.

I don't see why you feel the need to throw around match count like it means something. I've had over 400 matches combined over 4 months of play before I quit during the fetterstone release doesn't help to bolster validity. Because gold and exp is split among you entire team feeders don't feed one teammate they give everyone a global boost of gold and exp making the situation worse. It was not uncommon for people to start a match by running head first into an enemy and force feed them 500+ gold in kills before the match started. It snowballs an entire team not just one person.

You can also grief by simply edging around another team mates lane severely messing up the ratio of the split exp and gold, or better yet refuse to last hit the entire game and ruin everyone's gpm not just your own. It's not bannable because you can't prove that they are not inexperienced. Jungling had ways to grief your team too but I'm not going to go into exploits or anything to help the trolls do more harm.

I quit during the period of time that crap was going on and judging by how the team was slow to act it probably still goes on. If not I stand corrected but I'm never touching Strife again.

"Do not speak to me of fate!" ~ A fairy tale for the Demon Lord

Originally posted by rojoArcueid

that monkey is too OP at the moment. If you unleash it, it wipes an entire lane all the way to the base in a single run.

I have never had that happen in my games, lol. But it sucks to hear that. My last match is probably the worst one I've played. It seemed the players on my team were really new. But the other team never got their white ape into our base. We killed it every time mid lane.

we were almost at their base on all three lanes and they sent the monkey like a tsunami straight to our base lol. We managed to defend long enough to send the monkey back to them and eventually we won. But man that ape is a truck.

• VichusSmithVichusSmith Member UncommonPosts: 67

We're past the "clones" phase. We're in the genre phase. You'll be repeating yourself often.

There's nothing more gratifying than playing an MMO for free.