Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor: An Amazing Experience

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor is a new single-player RPG developed by Monolith Productions. Widely anticipated with features that many gamers have long requested of game studios, Franklin Rinaldi and I were lucky enough to get some hands-on play at the Monolith studios in Kirkland, WA the day before PAX was to start.

Read more of Carolyn Koh's & Franklin Rinaldi's Middle Earth - Shadow of Mordor: An Amazing Experience.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I pre-ordered this a few weeks back and am very excited for it.  Glad you ask the question about the PC port because that is what I am playing it on and I always fear the bad port.
    I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Cool looking game, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

Not entirely sure why it's being featured on MMORPG.com, but w/e.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by aesperus

You might have missed it, but for a better part of this year so far, we've been covering RPGs as well as MMOs. It's a big part of our overall plan to diversify our coverage.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Glad to see RPG's on this site seeing as the new RPG's are going to have co-op/multiplayer. (Dragon Age Inquisition)

• EridanixEridanix Member Posts: 426
    I just pre-ordered yesterday. I found it amazing since the start but this article is the confirmation that is one of the big RPG's I was waiting for.

It is a question of fangs.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

not preordering games anymore, but this one looks pretty interesting so ill keep an eye on it.

This could be the first lord of the ring game that i could enjoy, ever. Wait and see.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

It has a few aspects that seem cool but it also seems like yet another console RPG-lite with very little respect for the lore it's actually using (see also War in the North). I think I'll wait till the inevitable $7.49 sale 6 months from release.

I wish Obsidian or CD Projekt RED or or someone could get the license to make a deeper, better quality LOTR RPG.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by iridescence

It has a few aspects that seem cool but it also seems like yet another console RPG-lite with very little respect for the lore it's actually using (see also War in the North). I think I'll wait till the inevitable $7.49 sale 6 months from release.

I wish Obsidian or CD Projekt RED or or someone could get the license to make a deeper, better quality LOTR RPG.

You haven't even played it yet. How do you know how "deep" it is?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by aesperus

You might have missed it, but for a better part of this year so far, we've been covering RPGs as well as MMOs. It's a big part of our overall plan to diversify our coverage.

That's fine by me as both game types are my main appeal!! Thanks Bill!

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Just love open world style rpg's. I'm very much looking forward to this game. Game play being reminiscent to Assassin's Creed is a + in my book.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    This screams console game.  I do hope the port works out because I love playing in the Tolkien universe, but......
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Imho if your into Lore wait for bargain bin, but if you want to play a ranger/ghost/Lord Marshal(Chronicles of Riddick) hybrid go for it.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Agreed, let's throw lore out for action gameplay for the kiddies.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by flizzer
    This screams console game.  I do hope the port works out because I love playing in the Tolkien universe, but......

+1 getting on my tits all the console converts being passed across to us PC gamer's as a secondary income for these short sighted companies. Before people start whining at me I am aware that it cost money to build games and the cost could be high, however they need to start taking PC gamer's serious like some of our machines. I hate using a joy pad and prefer mouse and keyboard games. Most of the ported games I have tried to play suck as an example Watchdogs was a classic disappointment to name just one.

I'm a avid Middle Earth fan have been for many years and there still isn't a game out there worth the Tolkien tag imo. There is so much technology around now surely there is someone out there with the know how to build an open game world with deep story and gameplay.

I do like the idea of  playing in this environment and the chance of running an Orc band the only other game i got to try that was in EQI testing many moons ago and that was a blast, but was only a single Orc sadly.

Asbo

Originally posted by Hariken

Agreed, let's throw lore out for action gameplay for the kiddies.

Well, I'm 47 and I love action game play. It's the difference between experiencing a visceral combat experience and "watching it happen".

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Love these lore arguments. Reminds me of medieval times. The lore ended with JRR. If you want to keep with the lore, read his books. I would love to know how JRR would have felt about the matter, rather than the spanish inquisition.

50 year old kiddie here.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by laserit

Love these lore arguments. Reminds me of medieval times. The lore ended with JRR. If you want to keep with the lore, read his books. I would love to know how JRR would have felt about the matter, rather than the spanish inquisition.

Just my opinion but if you don't care at all about the lore than why even play a Middle Earth game vs. one of the 10000 generic fantasy games out there?

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

Love these lore arguments. Reminds me of medieval times. The lore ended with JRR. If you want to keep with the lore, read his books. I would love to know how JRR would have felt about the matter, rather than the spanish inquisition. 50 year old kiddie here.
    Isn't that kind of the point of tossing down $ buying rights to an IP? To attract fans of that IP? Any established IP ST, SW, LOTR, ect. has a subset of purists, don't cares, some of this, some of that's. Often the subset willing to devote the most $/time is the purists, just look at any Comic Con.

Nothing wrong if a game creator wants to go their own way via story arcs, world attributes, artwork whatever. However one generally gets less pushback if the "new" concept or play style is paired with an original thought or IP.

Nothing wrong if you want to use some ones else's work as a crutch, however one will receive less pushback the closer ones remix compliments the original work.

The more decoupled it appears the more it resembles a cash out.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by BMBender

50 year old kiddie here.

Isn't that kind of the point of tossing down $ buying rights to an IP? To attract fans of that IP? Any established IP ST, SW, LOTR, ect. has a subset of purists, don't cares, some of this, some of that's. Often the subset willing to devote the most $/time is the purists, just look at any Comic Con.

Nothing wrong if a game creator wants to go their own way via story arcs, world attributes, artwork whatever. However one generally gets less pushback if the "new" concept or play style is paired with an original thought or IP.

Nothing wrong if you want to use some ones else's work as a crutch, however one will receive less pushback the closer ones remix compliments the original work.

The more decoupled it appears the more it resembles a cash out.

The point of an established IP, is not directly tied to LOTR or the Hobbit.

I mean.... how many games do they need to create based on that? I have read the books, seen the Movies, played LOTRO for many years.

I don't need yet another game strictly based on the LOTR books. Gets a bit old now.

What they have done here, is looking at the First and Second Age materials and created a unique and new story.

I am very excited about this game and looking forward to it!  It very much feels like Skyrim, but then in Middle Earth.

And in that way, it seems to become one of the best games of this IP so far.

Just my opinion but if you don't care at all about the lore than why even play a Middle Earth game vs. one of the 10000 generic fantasy games out there?

When it comes to a game, the gameplay and mechanics is what appeals to me. From what I've seen it looks like a very well made game with very interesting mechanic's. I could care less whether the game takes place in Middle Earth or Timbuktu.

My elementary school principal introduced me to the books of Tolkien back when the man still lived. I've read Lotro 6 times i think. I read all those books to my kids at bedtime more than once.

Love the books, Love the lore.

I grew up fighting imaginary monster's with wooden swords and watching Ray Harryhausen movies.

I just use my imagination.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Sovrath

You haven't even played it yet. How do you know how "deep" it is?

yeah its a wait and see thing. Monolith is developing this game (for pc and new consoles). Monolith made one of my favorite PC RPGs in 1999, Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator. So i hope they do a good job with Middle Earth.

The disastrous War in the North was made by Snowblind Studios. They dont have a great record of development but they made Baldur´s gate: Dark Alliance which was very good on GC,PS2,Xbox. Not sure how they could screw up that Lotr game, but they did. Oh well.....

While I would usually agree with the "lore arguments" there is room for bending.

If this was a multi-player game I could more see the argument for not having the "spirit possessing the body" mechanic as then it becomes common place and changes the middle earth landscape.

One individual however and it just becomes an anomaly.

One has to look at the works and see if there is something similar. Theoden changes and it can be assumed that it is some sort of domination. The one ring clearly has a mind of its own and can have a domination over the wearer.

The spirits of barrow wights can come back to take up the body.

So it seems to me that it's a bending of the lore whereby a spirit can come and inhabit the ranger. Especially since I "think" he is supposed to be on the verge of death.

Now, the "over the top powers" are something else but I strongly suspect that one doesn't have to use them if one chooses.

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310
    Star Wars just recently said that anything not in the movies is no longer canon, meaning even though it works with the story it is still not part of the star wars living universe. Tolkien died before any of this stuff was famous and everything fantasy is based off of his work. Unless Tolkien rises from the grave he cant say what is or is not canon. 
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

50 year old kiddie here.

I'm a writer myself, and thinking of it from that point of view, if someone took my works and put the lore that I'd worked so hard to create and make into something magical and alive, and then just put all that onto its head to create something that was pleasing to the general masses... I wouldn't be very thrilled, so I doubt J.R.R. Tolkien would be pleased if he were still alive to this day... But who knows.

I still want to check out this game because it does look fun. I'll just look at it as if the lore involved within the game isn't canon.

Smile

Originally posted by Razeekster

50 year old kiddie here.

I'm a writer myself, and thinking of it from that point of view, if someone took my works and put the lore that I'd worked so hard to create and make into something magical and alive, and then just put all that onto its head to create something that was pleasing to the general masses... I wouldn't be very thrilled, so I doubt J.R.R. Tolkien would be pleased if he were still alive to this day... But who knows.

I still want to check out this game because it does look fun. I'll just look at it as if the lore involved within the game isn't canon.

I would like to believe that when you take the money out of the equation, Tolkien would say "lighten up guys... it's only a game"