Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official forums are out of control

Comments

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204
    No sympathy, perma forum ban the toxic thread creator and lock the thread. If they aren't willing to do this, then they are flat out saying that toxic players are more important to their games success than you are, so at that point .....you have a decision to make.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Typical "freeloader" comments. These people have jobs and are so busy and can't afford 9 bucks a month. Really? That's like 1-2 pints of beer!

Exactly.  Maybe they feel the beer is the worth price but not the game.  I can think of quite a few games that I would rather spend the money on piss beer than waste it on a sub.  It's all about perceived value and right now even Keystone is more worthy of my money than any sub based MMO. 

Then don't play these games, It is as simple as that. you wanna play their game, you want to enjoy the game to your heart's content but as soon as a topic of payment(for something that is valid and reasonable, not trying to grab cash for something like quick bar) comes you tell them to fuck off, you go to their forums and use slur, you come to a mmo site and antagonize the game and publisher. that is a mental problem. 

LOL.  Easy there killer. 

I was talking of perceived value and I think you mistook me for someone that wants to,..hmm lets see:

1) Wants to play a f2p game until my heart is content?  Not even remotely sure where you got that from.  Thinking a game is not worth a sub is not the same as wanting to play a f2p game.

2) Telling people to "fuck off".  No, I didn't do that either.

3) I go to game's forums and use slurs.  No, though I think you fit that bill.

4) I go to an MMO site and antagonize a game and it's publisher?  Seriously?

Funny you mention mental problem....

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Typical "freeloader" comments. These people have jobs and are so busy and can't afford 9 bucks a month. Really? That's like 1-2 pints of beer!

there are two sides on that coin, so this doesnt apply to everyone.

Yes there are people with jobs and still want to be free loaders. But also Yes, there are free players that have jobs and rather support the game through cash shop cosmetics and inventory size and not pay a subscription. The latter is shitty in AA (just like Swtor preferred status) where it doesnt matter how much money you pay in cash shop, if you arent a subscriber you become a miserable player and still get ripped off.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by evilized
    Free to play crowd, is it any wonder?

Well, SWTOR is f2p and their forums pale in comparison

Maybe it has something to do with the too long wait for release. Trion announced that it was going to release the game in the West on Januari 24, 2013. Maybe people get a bit weird after waiting for such a long time.

It takes one to know one.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by rodingo

Exactly.  Maybe they feel the beer is the worth price but not the game.  I can think of quite a few games that I would rather spend the money on piss beer than waste it on a sub.  It's all about perceived value and right now even Keystone is more worthy of my money than any sub based MMO. 

So the game is worthy of your time, but not your money?

Got it.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

there are two sides on that coin, so this doesnt apply to everyone.

Yes there are people with jobs and still want to be free loaders. But also Yes, there are free players that have jobs and rather support the game through cash shop cosmetics and inventory size and not pay a subscription. The latter is shitty in AA (just like Swtor preferred status) where it doesnt matter how much money you pay in cash shop, if you arent a subscriber you become a miserable player and still get ripped off.

Why would you consistantly spend more than a subscription cost in the cash shop  unlocking things that come with a subscription?

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Well this could be mitigated largely if the retarded gaming industry had a brain. Simply create different server types.

type 1: subscription players only; no LP restriction
    type 2: subscription players only; has LP restriction and cash shop
    type 3: essentially the same servers they're currently running.

Then far fewer can complain. But companies in this industry seem to think they can screw more money out of players by offering them less options.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

A F2P game to me is like a Gift. You don't complain when somebody buys you a gift...regardless of how much better the gift could have been.

Unless the gift is something repulsive of course. Archeage F2P you can at least login level to max, play the game like a themepark, make some friends who will help you get what you need etc...

Sure other games may have better F2P value, but they are older, less in-demand games.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394

The forums are out of control because ArchAge has a couple of serious problems.

----

The fact that it treats both F2P and P2P players like cash cows, adds real money to in game gold conversion options and introduces a farmville/facebook type monetization yet unheard of in MMORPGS.

If you have a restricted game like SWTOR that offers a full game for P2P players you will convert a certain amount of F2P players because they see the value in P2P to get unrestricted access to everything in the game.

If you however have a restricted game like ArchAge and the P2P only removes half of the paywall restrictions and leaves the facebook/farmville monetization still in place you should not be surprised about the backlash.

Framville * F2P * P2P * GoldForCash * P2W CashShop Items = a toxic mix that will blow up in their faces.

----

PS: Check the latest additions to the CashShop to see how the whole metagame can be screwed up by the addition of a coupple of items. You have to be very gullible if you think that this is the end.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    I think we should bring all the flame wars from other sites to this one, because clearly, the topic needs to be rehashed here as well.
  • CurraCurra Member UncommonPosts: 34

The problem from my point of view is that while I am happy to pay for Patron Status
    I cannot do so in beta without buying a Founders Pack! Thus forced to struggle for
    LP's until release.

• xxizazelxxxxizazelxx Member UncommonPosts: 3

Considering that I'm in the beta I couldn't sit by and not

reply to all this. Firstly, ArcheAge is being marketed as a

Free to Play game. That means what it says. FREE TO

PLAY. So these elitist "freeloader" comments on ANY

F2P model is ridiculous. So F'n stop already.

But since they are actively selling Alpha and Beta access

(remember when Beta testing MEANT something?) through

their scammy crowdfunding project called "Founder's Packs"

they have bred a whole new group of entitles giving ArcheAge

a really bizarre caste system of "Founders" and so called

"freeloaders". Remember this is a FREE TO PLAY game.

So here's the problem.

Only Founders, called Patrons, can securely farm.

Meaning the game is overflowing with farm uprooting, theft, ect.

And non Patron farms are beginning to be viewed as "illegal"

in game by players. How are non Patron farms in any way illegal?

Is Trion saying non Patrons not allowed to farm? I haven't seen them

say that. So how are they illegal?

When I started Beta the biggest crime you could do beyond murder

was uprooting a farm. Steadily it became stealing from Patrons only.

Which taints the jury system the game has in favor of the haves and

creating a whole caste system against the "have nots"..

Global chat IS atrocious and ArcheAge has one of the worst communities

I have ever seen and it's still in Beta. I have personally found the game

unbearable to play and the Patron scheme makes actual Beta testing all

systems near impossible for any that aren't PAYING to Beta test.

And that's one of the biggest problems right there. YOU are paying to

both QA AND Beta test this. SO why aren't you angry to be paying to do what

people used to be PAID to do? Paid to quality assure and inhouse test I mean.

Instead, like suckers, YOU are paying them to test their product.

So atleast as far as BETA goes, NO ONE is "freeloading" because no one should

be paying anything to do it.

This goes for any game or MMO claiming to follow a free to play model.

Payment comes from micro transactions, not client ownership and registration.

ArcheAge should just come clean and call it's self a Pay with no Sub title like

Guild Wars 2. STOP CALLING GAMES YOU PAY TO PLAY, FREE TO PLAY.

and stop calling players that sign up for Free to Play models "freeloaders" cos

when we put down money in item shops, we're PAYING CUSTOMERS too.

Too many whiny entitled a-holes, I swear. "I bought a Founder's Pack so I'm

more important that you." "I bought a SWTOR sub so I'm better than you."

I'm a Founder on SWTOR. I beta tested it. I bought it twice. If any one should

have the right to bitch about those restrictions it's those players like me lmao

I would have no problem at all buying Rise of the Hut Cartel if I felt the current

state of the game, restrictions included, deserved my money. It doesn't.

But I would pay top dollar to have Star Wars Galaxies 2 lol And I would happily

put money into an item shop like I have with Tera, Dragon Nest, The Secret World,

ect. Brain cells in the online community lol Grow some lol

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by jesteralways no subscriber likes to login to an empty world.

Not really an issue for me.

A small but dedicated player base is more to my liking.

I"m not sure the video game companies agree though. image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

this all seems silly to me complaining about chat...of all things chat? lol i guess ppl are really digging deep to knock a game these days i guess

not to mention its gonna draw the freeloader crowd that does not give a F%$& about what they say or who they offend but thats every f2p game..yes even starwars..dont act like "your" precious game dose nothing of the such

imo on the 2 servers i played on the chat was funny and entertaining and saw zero chuck norris comments ...the chuck norris thing has morphed into alienware jokes / trolls which are funny imo

a simple solution to the problem? mute the channel and only use your boring guild chat / nation / trial chat

note: the only thing i find "out of control" or i find myself smh is the overwhelming amount of ppl in AA forums thinking they are Devs or work on the game itself..like how they post "this is what we need to change" or "later down the road we will try to fix " ...lol yea ..ok.. w/e

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

If you are out of high school and complain about a $15 per month subscription, you should immediately log off your computer, sell it and invest in community college or something because life can't be going well.  I mean seriously it's $15 a month, my daughter who is 5 gets a $5 a week allowance for keeping her room clean and behaving, so she could technically afford a subscription. 

When I was 17 I was a senior in HS and had a 20 hour a week part time job that paid $5.25 an hour, which was the minimum wage back then, now it's like $8 an hour.  After taxes I brought home say $400 a month, I was 17 by todays standards that would be like $700 a month. 

So it's very hard for me to grasp what the big deal is about $15 a month?

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I wasn't aware that SWTOR did not allow posts for nonsubscribers;  I look at their forums from time to time but never post there (I will check though now since I have stopped my sub).

Two questions:

1) If F2P MMO  ==  trashy forums....what is the answer?  I haven't looked recently but is this common amongst any other F2P mmos (EQ1, Marvel, APB)?  If so, what do they do?  Limit the forum to sub or an elevated status level?

2) If F2P != trashy forums....why on this one?  Is it really because people are that upset?  Or is it due to a certain crowd being drawn to this title??  If so, what do they do?  If they start a massive wave of post deletions, I'm sure the crowd will flock to other sites complaining of it.  Or do they wipe at launch and limit thereafter?

Please do not turn this into a free to play vs sub flame war. 

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Spankster77

If you are out of high school and complain about a $15 per month subscription, you should immediately log off your computer, sell it and invest in community college or something because life can't be going well.  I mean seriously it's $15 a month, my daughter who is 5 gets a $5 a week allowance for keeping her room clean and behaving, so she could technically afford a subscription. 

When I was 17 I was a senior in HS and had a 20 hour a week part time job that paid $5.25 an hour, which was the minimum wage back then, now it's like $8 an hour.  After taxes I brought home say $400 a month, I was 17 by todays standards that would be like $700 a month. 

So it's very hard for me to grasp what the big deal is about $15 a month?

What?  So if something is offered to you free you should not take it?

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    100 Labor Points for any mention of Alienware
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

You can no longer trust a forum to be a sample of what a games community or even players think about the game. there is just too large of a group of professional mmo protesters that make the rounds. They bitch about everything in every new game.

Every game and every year it seems to get worse and worse. On the plus side they don't seem to buy or play the games for long so once a game launches it's normally free of them after the first month or two.

Look at ESO. Prelaunch it was just nonstop. Now .......?

Now they're all in AA

• ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211

It is a miserable trashy crowd on the AA forums and in fact a huge topic of discussion right now.    I think that there are a handful of troublemakers and unfortunately they taint the whole game.   General chat is pretty disgusting as well and people try out the game and spout off whatever comes into their mouths.   I don't have high hopes of this being fixed.  It wasn't in Rift for the longest time (/4 chat) and I don't have high hopes for AA.  I plan on turning off more channels.

There is quite a bit of F2P angst but also a lashing out at the "casual, care bear" crowd.  Whenever someone suggests modifications to PvP, you should see the rage.  I predict at AA will have an uneasy grouping of people....ones that love the sandboxy crafting, economy elements of the game coupled with hardcore PvP types.   It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.   I love the game but Trion is going to have their hands full with this one.

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189

LMAO much much sooner then I thought. Well, actually not. Just you wait ! Launch is coming and oh boy will it be bad. I think AA forums may actually explode. All of the I WANT IT NOW, GIVE ME MAX LEVEL AND EPICS FOR LOGGING ON, OMG I CAN'T DO EVERYTHING IN ONE DAY people have all thankfully quit wildstar and every other big title this year. Yup I see that HUGE red target on AA. LMAO I better stock up on the popcorn !

It's gonna get dirty folks ! 

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by grimal

I wasn't aware that SWTOR did not allow posts for nonsubscribers;  I look at their forums from time to time but never post there (I will check though now since I have stopped my sub).

Two questions:

1) If F2P MMO  ==  trashy forums....what is the answer?  I haven't looked recently but is this common amongst any other F2P mmos (EQ1, Marvel, APB)?  If so, what do they do?  Limit the forum to sub or an elevated status level?

2) If F2P != trashy forums....why on this one?  Is it really because people are that upset?  Or is it due to a certain crowd being drawn to this title??  If so, what do they do?  If they start a massive wave of post deletions, I'm sure the crowd will flock to other sites complaining of it.  Or do they wipe at launch and limit thereafter?

Please do not turn this into a free to play vs sub flame war. 

They're likely to wipe the forums for launch since its all beta related now anyways.

Since the game is F2P, you're giving access to people who might not actually even be playing the game.  This is something that subscription based games can filter out... no active sub, no forum privileges.  Doesn't really stop the vile... paying customers can be just as bad.  Ultimately you need moderated forums... which they currently really don't moderate.  But if you moderate, you also tend to drive the course of the discussion in your favor.

People already flock to other sites to post their opinions... you see it here everyday... including this post itself... we're discussing forum moderation at a developer's website on another website.  Should it not happen at the place in which the discussion is most relevant?  But to do so would be to enter into the arena, and the assumption is, you're not going to be immediately beheaded here where it is an absolute certainty to occur there.

I think if you consider the people who are playing the game and who never even once post on forums such as these are the very people you seek to have a discussion with, it seems odd that you would even expect anything less than what you observe at the other forums.  They aren't the people you wish to enter into a discussion with, unless arguments and whatnot are what you seek.

You take moderation out of the Blizzard forums, it will quickly turn into a cesspool.  You allow anyone to post there, it's an absolute certainty.  Again, the preponderance of the playerbase has never once visited their forums.  The ones that do complain about the game to the same extent as they would here... only a ban hammer is levied above their heads to keep them in check.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by Jockan
    100 Labor Points for any mention of Alienware

golden =)

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

More like the current cesspool of people brooding hate in the gaming community today. This attitude exists regardless of payment model.

I think this is the first time I have straight up agreed with Mtibbs.  Just seems to get worse every year no matter what game or payment model.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

More like the current cesspool of people brooding hate in the gaming community today. This attitude exists regardless of payment model.

I totally agree. Please send me back to around 1997! I loved it when gaming was just for nerds with pocket protectors, and broken black rim glasses. This is just out of control anymore.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.