Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Landmark: Combat Arrives!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment has announced that combat has been added to Landmark. Players can engage in combat, acquire weapons and armor and even take on others in PvP.

• Weapons - Choose a weapon out of the three basic options (Conjurer's Staff, Marksman's Bow or Soldier's Blade) that fits your preferred fighting style and have at it! Weapons can be swapped on the fly to tackle any given situation.
  • Armor - Not only will you look dashing in your new wears and protected from the many perils of Landmark, but you'll also give your combat style a boost with bonuses like faster casting times, better health regeneration and more.

• PvP - Duel for claims or just fight for fun; PvP adds an exciting new way to experience Landmark.

• PvP Game Master - Players can now craft their deadliest PvP map on their claim using new game master items. Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture and Hold style games can all be designed in Landmark. Just be wary of the landmines!

Read more on the Landmark forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Took a long break from Landmark but this might make me return! While I am downloading anyone got any feedback on the new combat?
    I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Have they optimized it a bit already or still only runs on high end machines ?
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    You are mouse locked when using the weapon. So you must not have actually tried it. Makes your point about needing M2 to look seem odd.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    It's just basic combat atm, and only on claims marked for pvp atm. For now it's not really fleshed out yet, it's a bunny hopping fest for now until they fix it so it costs energy to jump all about like it is, heh. They'll tweak it and make it better I'm sure as it goes further along. For now it's just basic bunny hopping pew pew :) For the person above asking about optimization, they've improved some but you can't expect full optimization really until most of the game features are in and it's nearing the open beta phase, where real optimization will come in. They have been working on it though little by little.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Good to see progress, but I imagine it is going to be clunky, and with limited skills, not the greatest thing ever.  I may update my Landmark to come check it out, but never been a big arena type player, so may wait till they get a few more things updated.
  • MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    This is stupid, Landmark is like a side part of the actual game yet they are working so much on it, just work on EQ Next damnit!

Mystery Bounty

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Originally posted by MysteryB
    This is stupid, Landmark is like a side part of the actual game yet they are working so much on it, just work on EQ Next damnit!

I think it started as a side part and then people did some amazing things with the few skills they gave them. I would not be surprised if it didnt end up being its own little game.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Ehh... what?  If they actually worked so much on Landmark as you say, then Landmark wouldn't be such a buggy laggy mess it still is today.

Since the last patch, EU servers have been down all day (21 hours and ticking). Them still trying to figure out why they keep crashing. No ETA still.

On the US servers I cannot do a single thing atm, other than running around. Nothing else works for me.

Compared to 7 months ago, I have yet to see any real improvements on the game. /shrug

How they call this a closed beta now, boggles my mind, as it still feels very much like an early Alpha!

PS. If you look at Trove for example (and please just ignore the Graphics for a moment and look at the mechanics), then it's far ahead of Landmark, feature and combat wise. runs and plays smooth as hell. Already feels very polished.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Xarko
    Have they optimized it a bit already or still only runs on high end machines ?

Are you asking about if it runs... If so yes, very much so.

If you are asking about if it runs with all the bells and pretty bows... Most likley... Nope.

It will probably not run on a bottom rank machine.,

This have been a good conversation

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

imageShow me a video.

Found one. Watching it with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekMCqwIYL9U

edit- it's a start... Lots of potential, such a shame that it's box (claim) only. For the love of god I have no idea why they wont make one of the 300 (empty) islands free build pvp on. image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

this combst information will be invaluble to the ones who are making the mmo...this is good for both groups!

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Ehh... what?  If they actually worked so much on Landmark as you say, then Landmark wouldn't be such a buggy laggy mess it still is today.

Since the last patch, EU servers have been down all day (21 hours and ticking). Them still trying to figure out why they keep crashing. No ETA still.

On the US servers I cannot do a single thing atm, other than running around. Nothing else works for me.

Compared to 7 months ago, I have yet to see any real improvements on the game. /shrug

How they call this a closed beta now, boggles my mind, as it still feels very much like an early Alpha!

PS. If you look at Trove for example (and please just ignore the Graphics for a moment and look at the mechanics), then it's far ahead of Landmark, feature and combat wise. runs and plays smooth as hell. Already feels very polished.

I'm in agreement  that Landmark still feels like an early alpha. But I also believe that Landmark is just a little bit more ambitious than Trove.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by laserit

I'm in agreement  that Landmark still feels like an early alpha. But I also believe that Landmark is just a little bit more ambitious than Trove.

More ambitious in what way? Ignoring graphics direction for a moment.

Don't get me wrong, I play both.

Trove is really far ahead of Landmark at the moment. I was deeply suprised at all the features that are already ingame and working. And that for an Alpha.

Looking back at Landmark.... what has actually happened the last 7 months? Not much really. /sigh

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Don't get me wrong, I play both.

Trove is really far ahead of Landmark at the moment. I was deeply suprised at all the features that are already ingame and working. And that for an Alpha.

Looking back at Landmark.... what has actually happened the last 7 months? Not much really. /sigh

I'm having a very difficult time trying to find a more current feature list for Trove, the latest I can find is from January. I'm also having a very hard time trying to find an official forum, is there one?

I'd hate to form my opinion on an outdated feature list.

It's quite unfair to leave graphics out of the equation, it is a hell of a lot more work and a lot more difficult to get something to perform in an acceptable manner with the graphics that SOE has decided to run with.

I'm not trying to say one game or company is better than the other. I'm just saying that one project is more ambitious than the other. 

Ambition does not equal success.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

"Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Open_and_closed_beta

Lulz.

Undoubtedly still in the alpha phase.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498

Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Had not to take those graphics into account really. Whether you like stylised or realistic, it is neither. But for a small team they are doing good and it will certainly be entertaining for those who want to play it.
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

this was supposed to be a f2p builder game released on December of 13' ...

they turned it into a paid beta for an MMO ... cheers to those who paid .

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by loulaki

this was supposed to be a f2p builder game released on December of 13' ...

they turned it into a paid beta for an MMO ... cheers to those who paid .

Eh?

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• arunasmearunasme Member UncommonPosts: 129
    The shield thingy looks cool, other than that... meh...
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Have yet to try the combat system but from the videos I have seen it looks like a good start :) will give it a go tonight.

• Princess.ClaudePrincess.Claude Member UncommonPosts: 65

Let me just save people some time here;

combat..or "combat" is little more than a bad  joke

performance = bigger joke.

don't bother.

And by any definition ofalpha/beta i know of, Landmark is in VERY early alpha, let's see in a year or so.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Dem staff skills those. The effects and sounds are sooooo very very very very very pleasing. The animations for sword and bow are also very nice. Impressed with SOEs ability to get their animations right on this game. For sure.

• mrbowser81mrbowser81 Member Posts: 27
    It doesn't run much low end mid nah high end yes but lets be honest there having the gamers build the game all of you playing best way to go free to play have your players build it they have a story mode that was most likely easy don't expect much anytime soon but this is a new concept you all as players like myself really are the developer's I have a nice custom build but it barely runs on my machine I however have betas to play and discuss for my YouTube and blog so not much time on landmark but so far in my opinion the best MMORPG free to play running hands down is RIFT been running for along time constantly adding content and tons of people playing for videos pcgamingwithmrb YouTube channel I also have gameplay of new and older titles updated
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Afaik, Landmark has always been a sort of 'PTS' (Public Test Server) for EQN. They are using it both to test new features they're thinking about adding to EQN, and as a template for places & creations they may want to add into EQN (Player made houses for example).

So of course they are going to be working a ton on EQL. Because all of that work (once it's hopefully refined) will be going over to EQN.

This is how public tests are supposed to work, and how they used to work before everyone used it as a marketing gimmick.

It's still it's own game of a sort, but unless they redact on their initial statement about how the two games are supposed to work, what gets developed for landmark, will also likely be ported over to next.

Test new features, report the bugs, give feedback on what works and what doesn't. That will help both games moving forward. Complaining that they are testing features, or that you don't like something doesn't help anybody. And it certainly won't make either game better.