Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: CCP Closes San Francisco Office, Fires Two Execs

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Gamasutra is reporting that EVE Online's developer, CCP Games, has closed its San Francisco offices and fired two US executives. According to the report, overall revenues at CCP are down this year, likely prompting the layoffs.

Revenues for the first six months of the current fiscal year were $36.5 million, down from $36.7 million year-over-year, while earnings before interest, taxes and depreciation were $4.5 million, down from $8.3 million year-over-year.

Joe Gallo, CFO at CCP Games, and David Reid, CMO at the company, have both left the company, said CCP in its latest financial statement.

Read more at Gamasutra.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Does it?

It thought their office at SF was working on EVE Online too.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by DMKano

This has nothing to do with EvE before - those speculation surface.

This is due to amortization of an abandoned project.

Best of luck to all affected by layoffs - at least San Fran has lots of game studios that are hiring.

Think someone is going to hire an exec. who was likely to contribute to a 4 million dollar loss?

Yes - otherwise most execs would be out of a job forever - execs get axed a lot.

Strange world sometimes. If an exec. lost millions he wouldn't set foot in a business I owned~

It is who you know, not what you know.  It is why you get so many incompetent arsehats in positions of power.  

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Think someone is going to hire an exec. who was likely to contribute to a 4 million dollar loss?

Of course! Execs are never responsible for anything bad that happened to their company, only the good things. That's why they get paid so much and the other employees so little.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    It still remains beyond me why they keep stretching themselves so thin with multiple projects, getting them halfway done and then reality kicking in and cancelling them. Is no one actually thinking this through at CCCP?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Best of luck to all affected by layoffs - at least San Fran has lots of game studios that are hiring.

Well, we all make mistakes. I would rather have one that allready made his mistakes and learned from it for somebody elses money, than get one to make mistakes and learn from it with my money...

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by hfztt

Well, we all make mistakes. I would rather have one that allready made his mistakes and learned from it for somebody elses money, than get one to make mistakes and learn from it with my money...

How about getting one with a track record of making money rather than losing it? 

I say that, but the success of people in these positions is largely down to being in the right place at the right time in the right market, and has very little to do with their acumen or corporate strategy.  

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

ccp should stop spending EVE earning money on failed project or any other project,they can work only at  one game not any other.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Tough times in CCP land these days, I hope this encourages them to continue to focus on their core business and stop pursuing unrelated gaming activities.

I'll go reactivate a 4th sub this weekend to help them out.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ElandrialElandrial Member UncommonPosts: 179

what abandonded projects?the only thing they do IS EVE.eve dust and eve valkyrie.so what great new project did they do and abandon?that is NOT EVE related?

• ElandrialElandrial Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Tough times in CCP land these days, I hope this encourages them to continue to focus on their core business and stop pursuing unrelated gaming activities.

I'll go reactivate a 4th sub this weekend to help them out.

wow that is nice of you to activate a sub for a company that would not give you the time of day.but ,hey its your money,go for it.in fact make 10 more account,i am sure they will LOVE you.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Originally posted by Elandrial

what abandonded projects?the only thing they do IS EVE.eve dust and eve valkyrie.so what great new project did they do and abandon?that is NOT EVE related?

World of Darkness is the one that comes to mind. not aware of others.

edit: some links about the cancellation of the project.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/2/5674352/World-of-darkness-cancellation-CCP-Fanfest

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

I'm an accountant, but I admit I could be missing something here or maybe the original article is poorly worded.  Taken at face value, however, "Revenue" has nothing to do with expenses or cash OUTput, be it paying off debt or expenses from amortization.

Revenue is generally just one thing only.  How much cash you've received from sales of your product.

Therefore, assuming the article really does mean "Revenue", this has nothing to do with amortization of an abandoned project or paying off debts.  It has nothing to do with failed projects in general. Revenue, if that's what it really was, only can mean one thing:  Incoming money from their current products is a lot less than what it was last time.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar

I'm an accountant, but I admit I could be missing something here or maybe the original article is poorly worded.  Taken at face value, however, "Revenue" has nothing to do with expenses or cash OUTput, be it paying off debt or expenses from amortization.

Revenue is generally just one thing only.  How much cash you've received from sales of your product.

Therefore, assuming the article really does mean "Revenue", this has nothing to do with amortization of an abandoned project or paying off debts.  It has nothing to do with failed projects in general. Revenue, if that's what it really was, only can mean one thing:  Incoming money from their current products is a lot less than what it was last time.

From the article:

"Revenues for the first six months of the current fiscal year were $36.5 million, down from $36.7 million year-over-year, while earnings before interest, taxes and depreciation were $4.5 million, down from $8.3 million year-over-year."

Would this mean revenue was actually fairly flat at a .2 million difference? Would earning include amortization and such? Or, if not, what would cover the difference in the earning numbers while still appearing to have a relatively steady revenue number? (asking for info, not trying to argue in case it comes across that way)

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    so.. walking in the station release date?
  • F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

Eve has been loosing players steadily since 2010. This is because of poor management and poor game design. They have not added any real content since 2011. 

CCP is allowing eve to die to support making 2 other games. 

Subs will keep dropping unless CCP gets new management.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Methos12
    It still remains beyond me why they keep stretching themselves so thin with multiple projects, getting them halfway done and then reality kicking in and cancelling them. Is no one actually thinking this through at CCCP?

CCP CEOs really did have delusions of grandeur.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Yes - otherwise most execs would be out of a job forever - execs get axed a lot.

Strange world sometimes. If an exec. lost millions he wouldn't set foot in a business I owned~

These days you can lose multi millions  and get a nice bonus for it.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Of course it has nothing to do with EVE, however, will it affect EVE? Yes.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by threefeet

this is what happens when you let pvp-ers mostly take over a pve AND pvp game. no one likes wondering if stalkers are around the next corner to waste you any second. so they dont play it. when you gank people like that people leave, when they leave the company loses money, when the company loses money people get fired. when people get fired the company closes, then you f*ck up the entire game not only for those you ganked, but now yourselves. if you dont feel bad you should, because you who play full time pvp did this.

i seem to recall reading a subject here in the forums about this very same subject, in support of the pvp-ers doing that in EVE specifically.  enjoy your soon-to-be shut down EVE.

Amen, agreed 100%. Gankers are the doom of any game.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    So...can I have their stuff?  :-)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Correct, it doesn't.

It has everything to do with Dust 514 flop, money that went straight into the drain, as I predicted in one of my blog posts before Dust 514 was even launched.

With that game they basically compromised CCP financial stability.

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Is this strain due to WOD which was cancelled?
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by threefeet

this is what happens when you let pvp-ers mostly take over a pve AND pvp game. no one likes wondering if stalkers are around the next corner to waste you any second. so they dont play it. when you gank people like that people leave, when they leave the company loses money, when the company loses money people get fired. when people get fired the company closes, then you f*ck up the entire game not only for those you ganked, but now yourselves. if you dont feel bad you should, because you who play full time pvp did this