Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Why Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-Op Will Be Awesome

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

I’m more confident at this point that Dragon Age: Inquisition’s multiplayer will be awesome than I am about the single player game. Inquisition seems to hit the right notes in terms of enhancing the series’ combat without overdoing it and stripping things away like Dragon Age II did, and this bodes well for a multiplayer component that focuses squarely on the game’s combat systems.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Why Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-Op Will Be Awesome.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AngryCujoAngryCujo Member Posts: 22

And to this article, I give you this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd13fE5WJ3c

Seems.... rather fitting.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by AngryCujo

Yeah I don't let myself get over hyped anymore, I tend to keep a reasonable outlook on new games to come. Destiny is the most over hyped game of the decade, and even though I enjoyed it, and had fun I'm not foaming out the mouth hyped about it. The last game I got so hyped over and ruined everything else for me was guild wars 2 cause of the amazing manifesto video. Even though I played it for months, and still have fun with it... it tought me not to overhype myself.

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189

Its obvious that gaming magazines and websites overhype games before they're released, but this is the business model that the game industry itself has developed.

If you want access to info on games that are still in development, get demos, etc, so you can write an article that will draw readers / customers to your website or magazine, so you can then make advertising revenue, then those articles have to be positive. If you start being critical of many of the games being developed and start giving "bad press" then those developers are no longer going to give you access to info and demos to write your articles, and suddenly you'll have no content to attract readers with.

So honestly I think its the game development studios themselves that force the gaming press into this situation.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Talmien

So honestly I think its the game development studios themselves that force the gaming press into this situation.

Nothing forces them to do it other than the desire to make money. The fact that enough of these people are willing to write these marketing fluff pieces so publishers can shut out the few who won't is pretty sad. Very few games writers should even refer to themselves as journalists. At best they are paid bloggers. The few who approach respectable journalism are pretty easy to spot.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Looks fun, sounds good. Proven to do it right with ME3... definitely a value add for a purchase I was already going to make. 
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Does it? I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to be legitimately excited for something in my own column, simply because I'm a member of the press and some press have acted irresponsibly? This is my column, which I've written for something like five years now, where I share my opinion with you all. If you aren't interested in my opinion, don't read my column. No one is forcing you.

Frankly, I don't have an agenda and I don't care for ridiculous overhype. If it looks good to me, I'll tell you why. If it doesn't, I'll also tell you why. Heck, I called out the hype on Destiny in my best/worst E3 article. I also found myself completely baffled at the press excitement over Titanfall. It looked like complete shit to me and I'm not surprised it fell off as quickly as it did. Just because some writers are irresponsible with the voice they've been given doesn't mean it should ruin things for the rest of us, so please don't come in here with your video and dismiss the column because you think it fits neatly with whatever theory you have or agree with about games media.

I loved Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and felt BioWare did a great job of it and wanted to explain why, because of the quality of that product, that I have high hopes for Inquisition's multiplayer. I could be completely wrong and eat crow for it later, but that's a risk I'm willing to take here, because I feel there is a good reason to be positive about Inquisition's multiplayer component and wanted to explain why.

I've seen some kneejerk reactions to this news from DA fans and even personal friends and I wanted to allay some of those concerns in my column this week. It's that simple. All of my points are clearly explained in the column. It's not breathless hype pulled out of the ether. If what I've said make senses to you and you agree, that's great. If you disagree, you're invited to share your thoughts on why.  Tacking on multiplayer is a very common practice these days and it's usually crap, which is (understandably) why gamers react the way they do when they hear multiplayer is being added to a typically singleplayer game series. Normally, I would feel the same way, but since BW did such a bang up job on their ME3 MP and they're doing a lot of the same things here, I felt it was a good opportunity to say, "Hey! Hold on. This could actually be good!"

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    wait and see.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

If it's half as much fun and longevity as ME3's MP then it will truly be awesome,  I expected ME3 MP to be some tacked on cash grab and to my surprise it wasn't and I found myself putting 100s of hours into it it was just so much fun.

I'm excited overall for DAI and this news is just that added cherry on top.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by MikeB

Frankly, I don't have an agenda and I don't care for ridiculous overhype. If it looks good to me, I'll tell you why. If it doesn't, I'll also tell you why. Heck, I called out the hype on Destiny in my best/worst E3 article. I also found myself completely baffled at the press excitement over Titanfall. It looked like complete shit to me and I'm not surprised it fell off as quickly as it did. Just because some writers are irresponsible with the voice they've been given doesn't mean it should ruin things for the rest of us, so please don't come in here with your video and dismiss the column because you think it fits neatly with whatever theory you have or agree with about games media.

I have a very bad feeling about Destiny. I think it's going to fail real hard and goes the way of Titanfall.

Sure People will have a blast in the first weeks, but after that it will die down as quick as it came, when the repetition starts kicking in and People find out that all they have to play on is 4 maps and some PVP modes.

And what I have so far seen and heard about the boss fights, ain't giving me any thrills either. Just insane HP pools that take ages to burn down. Nothing to be excited about.

That's why I have (and With great difficulty) supressed myself from pre-ordering Destiny.

I am going to take a wait and see approach on that one and see how it lands with the people and how much content we really get.

But the fact that they already have 2 DLC's lined up and ready for later this year.... rubs me in the wrong way as well. Especially when it game really does turn out to be short on content. Then it's nothing but yet another blatant overhyped cash grab. /facepalm

Hit a major game site, IGN, GameSpot, Game Informer... so on.

The "hype machine" is real for DA:I Multi-player articles about how gamers should be super excited.

So yes, MikeB, Totalbiscuit's video is 100% fitting here and on all those other sites. "A bare faced hype piece."

• Segun777Segun777 Jade Dynasty CorrespondentMember Posts: 97
    Amen MikeB. Preach it. So tired of whiny gamers with their "too cool for school" attitude. ME3 had one of the most underappreciated multiplayer experiences. And just like now gamers cryed foul when BioWare announced it. If gaming has a hype train than it most certainly has a train for the whiners and complainers.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by MikeB

Does it? I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to be legitimately excited for something in my own column, simply because I'm a member of the press and some press have acted irresponsibly? This is my column, which I've written for something like five years now, where I share my opinion with you all. If you aren't interested in my opinion, don't read my column. No one is forcing you.

I loved Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and felt BioWare did a great job of it and wanted to explain why, because of the quality of that product, that I have high hopes for Inquisition's multiplayer. I could be completely wrong and eat crow for it later, but that's a risk I'm willing to take here, because I feel there is a good reason to be positive about Inquisition's multiplayer component and wanted to explain why.

I've seen some kneejerk reactions to this news from DA fans and even personal friends and I wanted to allay some of those concerns in my column this week. It's that simple. All of my points are clearly explained in the column. It's not breathless hype pulled out of the ether. If what I've said make senses to you and you agree, that's great. If you disagree, you're invited to share your thoughts on why.  Tacking on multiplayer is a very common practice these days and it's usually crap, which is (understandably) why gamers react the way they do when they hear multiplayer is being added to a typically singleplayer game series. Normally, I would feel the same way, but since BW did such a bang up job on their ME3 MP and they're doing a lot of the same things here, I felt it was a good opportunity to say, "Hey! Hold on. This could actually be good!"

some? the whole media is manipulative to say the least,

and from the video alone I don't see it as a dragon age, I get a more looks like ME with spells and medieval weapons, and for taht alone turned me down a lot, really bioware golden age is long gone and there is nothing on then.

on the good side, they make me save some money for a real good game, because I think I will pass this game, the last chance chance they had to make a good game, and they make a generic one like the last 3 games they did(ME2.ME3, DA2) I cared to play anyway

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Stupid stupid hype piece, it does none of us any good. Wait for the feckin game to be released will ya and do whats BEST for the consumer.
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by kabitoshin

Yeah I don't let myself get over hyped anymore, I tend to keep a reasonable outlook on new games to come. Destiny is the most over hyped game of the decade, and even though I enjoyed it, and had fun I'm not foaming out the mouth hyped about it. The last game I got so hyped over and ruined everything else for me was guild wars 2 cause of the amazing manifesto video. Even though I played it for months, and still have fun with it... it tought me not to overhype myself.

I agree nor do I , and I'm in the industry.. lol.  I have seen to many games hype them up and most are never that good. Destiny I was looking forward and thought it was going to be amazing, I played the beta and was slightly happy. I'm still buying it, but that's because I hope there is more to it than I seen.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Why does dragon age need multiplayer?

Please.. explain.

Why cant you jackasses just focus on making a great single player rpg, hell even an episodic rpg that you can continuously expand. Instead i get a single player game with multiplayer elements tacked on.

This wont add to the game the way grand theft auto multplayer did, this will simply make the over all game worst.

Nobody bought mass effect for its shitty multiplayer, nobody is buying this for its multiplayer. get your shit together bioware.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

I really do not like single player content that is gated by multiplayer requirements.  And this sort of thing often changes the game from 'buy on launch' to 'wait for the big sale'.

Hopefully Bioware has crunched the numbers and found that this model brings in more money in the aggregate, because it's less likely to do so with me.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

I really do not like single player content that is gated by multiplayer requirements.  And this sort of thing often changes the game from 'buy on launch' to 'wait for the big sale'.

Is that the case here? I thought it wasn't? That would make the game no-buy for me as well. Optional multiplayer is fine but I don't want to be forced to play it.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by iridescence
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

Is that the case here? I thought it wasn't? That would make the game no-buy for me as well. Optional multiplayer is fine but I don't want to be forced to play it.

It's not the case. Doesn't affect SP at all.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Didn't really the actual article or the comments, but TotalBiscuit cirtiicing media is kinda stupid. He is part of it, and might be even less independent than most gaming news sites. Some Youtubers even admitted on getting freebies from companies in turn for promoting their products (games).

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I must be the only gamer who normally loves most RPGs of the past 3 decades that doesn't enjoy Dragon Age or Mass Effect in any of it's iterations. I even found the Witcher plodding and boring.  Not sure if it's the controls, the combat or something else.  I miss the days of Baldur's Gate, Final Fantasy 1 - 9.  I've found that only MMOs have kept the feel of the genre alive for me and trying to play "modern" RPGs makes me tired and yearning for more MMOs, lol. 

So for me, I'm not looking forward to any of this game and the more news I see or vids on it, the more I see the same "modern" crutches these games have fallen into.  I do read them, in hopes that I see something to change my mind, but so far, nada.  Glad many enjoy or will enjoy this new iteration, I'm just not seeing what all the fuss is about.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390

Got to love how everyone is telling Mike that he can not be excited or hyped about a game in his own column which he has been running for 5 years. You guys kill me really..lol.

Every dick and harry can make an account and hype the games but the sky is falling when someone like OP with his own column does so.

DA;I has multiplayer so it must suck..nice logic there not to mention the token 'Bioware's glory days are past them' guy.

i think moment the name Bioware is mentioned it sends many people in unexplained rage.

=== IGN
    "Dragon Age: Inquisition's Co-op Multiplayer Is All About Loot"
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/26/dragon-age-inquisitions-co-op-multiplayer-is-all-about-loot

"DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION - MULTIPLAYER TRAILER"
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/08/27/dragon-age-inquisition-multiplayer-trailer

"BioWare: it's 'Not the Right Time' for a Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-Op Campaign"
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/27/bioware-its-not-the-right-time-for-a-dragon-age-inquisition-co-op-campaign

=== GameSpot
    "Why Dragon Age: Inquisition's Multiplayer Isn't Like Mass Effect 3 "
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SyKLYl-kds

=== Game Informer
    "Five Incorrect Assumptions About Multiplayer"
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/dragon_age_inquisition/b/playstation4/archive/2014/08/27/five-incorrect-assumptions-about-multiplayer-dragon-age-inquisition.aspx

"A Step-By-Step Guide To Multiplayer in Dragon Age: Inqusition"
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/dragon_age_inquisition/b/playstation4/archive/2014/08/27/dragon-age-inquisition-step-by-step-guide-to-multiplayer.aspx

"Dragon Age: Inquisition Will Have Multiplayer
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/08/26/dragon-age-inquisition-will-have-multiplayer.aspx

=== Kotaku
    "Co-Op Multiplayer Coming to Dragon Age: Inquisition"
    http://kotaku.com/co-op-multiplayer-coming-to-dragon-age-inquisition-1627123831

=== Joystiq
    "Dragon Age: Inquisition 4-player co-op revealed, separate to campaign"
    http://www.joystiq.com/2014/08/27/dragon-age-inquisition-4-player-co-op-revealed-separate-to-cam/?ncid=rss_truncated

=== Destructoid
    "I enjoyed Dragon Age: Inquisition's multiplayer a lot more than I thought I would"
    http://www.destructoid.com/i-enjoyed-dragon-age-inquisition-s-multiplayer-a-lot-more-than-i-thought-i-would-279146.phtml

===

I know I'm hyped!  Lets do this!  LFG Dragon Age: Inquisition!

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by Talmien

No.

Nobody is "forced" here. This is playing fast and loose with the term and I don't buy it.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by elocke

I must be the only gamer who normally loves most RPGs of the past 3 decades that doesn't enjoy Dragon Age or Mass Effect in any of it's iterations. I even found the Witcher plodding and boring.  Not sure if it's the controls, the combat or something else.  I miss the days of Baldur's Gate, Final Fantasy 1 - 9.  I've found that only MMOs have kept the feel of the genre alive for me and trying to play "modern" RPGs makes me tired and yearning for more MMOs, lol. 

So for me, I'm not looking forward to any of this game and the more news I see or vids on it, the more I see the same "modern" crutches these games have fallen into.  I do read them, in hopes that I see something to change my mind, but so far, nada.  Glad many enjoy or will enjoy this new iteration, I'm just not seeing what all the fuss is about.

I hear you.

I think it may be because the developers of "modern" games didn't grow up playing pnp rpgs. So while the old rpgs like Baldur's Gate were inspired by D&D, the newer ones are more and more derivative products, and thus have lost a lot of the original mojo.

In my case, just the fact that Bioware has anything to do with this game makes it a major wait-and-see.