Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Classes in SWTOR.

Comments

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by irnbru69

sorry to subject change but  swg comments where bound to leak on to this thread at some point.

The rumors are not about a swtor2, it is infact rumors of another SWG type game. Its a quote from SOE president saying that there next game is going to be for the star wars galaxies fans.

Here is one source of many more http://2p.com/4091187_1/John-Smedley-SOEs-Next-Game-Is-Dedicated-To-SWG-Fans-by-Wei.htm

Any one that got a chance to play swg preCU or even CU, knows how much of a game it was. Truly ahead of its time even today I still play swg emu with an acquired copy of swg.

But any way If I had to choose a new class for swtor, it would be infact as suggested CH or droid engineer. which btw is not very original but thinking about it, I cant actually think of an original class my self as I keep being drawn back to classes from swg.

No I'm not talking about Smedley's BS, I am referring to a Reddit post that had nothing to do with SOE. You won't see any new classes anytime soon for SWTOR, that's why I brought up SWTOR 2. They made it clear at the cantina events that new classes are not something they are considering.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by irnbru69

sorry to subject change but  swg comments where bound to leak on to this thread at some point.

The rumors are not about a swtor2, it is infact rumors of another SWG type game. Its a quote from SOE president saying that there next game is going to be for the star wars galaxies fans.

Here is one source of many more http://2p.com/4091187_1/John-Smedley-SOEs-Next-Game-Is-Dedicated-To-SWG-Fans-by-Wei.htm

Any one that got a chance to play swg preCU or even CU, knows how much of a game it was. Truly ahead of its time even today I still play swg emu with an acquired copy of swg.

But any way If I had to choose a new class for swtor, it would be infact as suggested CH or droid engineer. which btw is not very original but thinking about it, I cant actually think of an original class my self as I keep being drawn back to classes from swg.

I also believe that Smedley was reffering to SOE's new zombie game H1Z1. At least that is what I have read. Since SOE has no rights to the SW franchise (Disney and EA via Disney do), SOE can't be making a SW game at the moment.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Phry
    Given how the game is put together i don't see them adding new classes, about the only thing they could do is give each current class more variants/skill trees to choose from. But the game could certainly use more classes, as it stands the current ones are a bit limited, though if i had to choose between getting more classes, or more content, i'd probably opt for more content. image

It would require a major investment as players would demand a storyline from level 1 to max, ofc with movies and speech.

It would be easier to add some additional content every now and then instead of adding majore new content.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Archlyte
    Originally posted by Gruug
    Originally posted by Gruug

If it's making money then I don't see why they wouldn't b working on a second one. It would be an easy pitch to say that they could make one that would outperform ($$$) the original and take advantage of the license that they have while they have it. Bioware likes to work episodically anyway.

There is a old adage that says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". In this case, if it is making monye why replace it or even provide something that would directly compete with it. I truly doubt, given the age of SWTOR and if it is making money, that they would ever consider making a totally new version. Not saying it won't happen down the road  but not soonish. Since Bioware can pretty much continue to add updates that make most fans happy, they never actuallly need to make a newer version.

The fact that current players may not want the water muddied by a new product is not something EA is worried about.

History of the game and design philosophy for SWTOR doesn't indicate EA as having a big concern about the players. If the fans have put up with what they got so far then they will stay through anything. They could make a new game, link store purchases to both games and make it so to unlock in either game you have to play the other one and Star Wars fanbucks would still pour in. Bioware/EA is determined to do whatever the hell they want, and they have shown that through the life of the game. If that leak is correct they will make a new game, and as far as they are concerned bitching about it would be immaterial. If it got real bad they would give every player a recolored pet robot as a gesture.

Well point is not that EA wouldn't. My point is much as you are saying, if it makes money they will do it. However, I happen to think that it would not be as profitable to EA to make a new game and try to run it concurrent to the old one. EA will make their decision based upon what they think best benefits their bottom line.

I agree with you 100%. If EA feels like it will make more money, they will do it, period.

I think we can all agree on that. Even Blizzard has admitted that they've considered making a WoW 2. Every MMO that's remotely succesful has probably considered it.

If they were to make a second SW MMO I suspect it would be a whole different game. That way they wouldn't be competing with each other as they'd both appeal to different audiences.

I'd be happy for you guys if they made a second one to draw in all the SWG fans and ran both alongside each other. Heck, I'd even try it myself.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• jwharmon7jwharmon7 Member UncommonPosts: 3

They are developing a new combined class/race known as "Droid," with the tentative advanced classes of "Combat" and "Combat Support."  Both factions will begin on the same new starter planet that will likely be Geonosis.  Peter Dinklage has been hired to do the voice, using post-processing to alter his voice for "female" droids.

On a separate note, in a nod towards diversity, they plan on implementing the ability to purchase a gender change from the cartel market.  However, they are undecided as to whether or not the converted character would keep the original gender voice.

Source: The Onion

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

There are rumors they are making a second SWTOR, if that is true then it would be better to not sink any more into the first game due to design flaws and performance issues.

Hopefully it is rumours, and they continue to improve this game. If there is another Old Republic MMO I will ignore it, even if it is a sandbox. The game would also compete with SWTOR too.

What is needed is a MMO set in the Original Trilogy timeline, and / or within the new trilogy that is coming soon. Even if the game is the exact same stupid game as SWTOR, with blocky oil painting style graphics and single player on rails space combat, I would play it (although I do not think they will do the space comabt again anyway). I just miss all the characters, vehicles and ships from the original trilogy. 

This game ALONE makes me hate Star Wars, but bring in a MMO with the original trilogy again, and will bring balance back to the genre, and I would appreciate SWTOR more then too, and I will play both.

Hopefully Star Wars Battlefront will be enough, and shame 1313 got cancelled. I am suffering from Star Wars games withdrawel symptoms. There has not been enough the last few years, and I am forgetting what R2D2 sounds like, which is a lot better than the battle cries those droids make in SWTOR, they are so excruciatingly tinny, which I can hear now even after not hearing them for months. 

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by superniceguy

There are rumors they are making a second SWTOR, if that is true then it would be better to not sink any more into the first game due to design flaws and performance issues.

Hopefully it is rumours, and they continue to improve this game. If there is another Old Republic MMO I will ignore it, even if it is a sandbox. The game would also compete with SWTOR too.

What is needed is a MMO set in the Original Trilogy timeline, and / or within the new trilogy that is coming soon. Even if the game is the exact same stupid game as SWTOR, with blocky oil painting style graphics and single player on rails space combat, I would play it (although I do not think they will do the space comabt again anyway). I just miss all the characters, vehicles and ships from the original trilogy. 

This game ALONE makes me hate Star Wars, but bring in a MMO with the original trilogy again, and will bring balance back to the genre, and I would appreciate SWTOR more then too, and I will play both.

Hopefully Star Wars Battlefront will be enough, and shame 1313 got cancelled. I am suffering from Star Wars games withdrawel symptoms. There has not been enough the last few years, and I am forgetting what R2D2 sounds like, which is a lot better than the battle cries those droids make in SWTOR, they are so excruciatingly tinny, which I can hear now even after not hearing them for months. 

2011 called, they want thier talking point back.

Originally posted by doodphace

LOL, first the thing about the Sith classes being useless "because there are no born Sith", and now the space on rails comment.

SNG is on a roll today. image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

LOL, first the thing about the Sith classes being useless "because there are no born Sith", and now the space on rails comment.

Nothing wrong with what I said, as there are no born Sith, yet you said there was plenty, which is wrong. Sith are not born sith, they are born force sensitive and then trained as Sith.

As for space on rails I am fully aware of the Galactic Starfighter, which is still not as good as JTL or EVE or STO space combat but better then the initial on rails single player space combat, which I am glad to see you agree with. The point I was saying was NOT that SWTOR still only has the single player on rails space combat, but that I would play a MMO set in the original Star Wars Trilogy era even if it just had that kind of space combat.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Nothing wrong with what I said, as there are no born Sith, yet you said there was plenty, which is wrong. Sith are not born sith, they are born force sensitive and then trained as Sith.

The race of sith is still alive in this time period red skin with little ...snot tenticls on their face( although I think lore wise they shouldn't be ). By the movies the pure bloods are all gone.

The confusion often happens because of what you said...a sith is also what they call a dark side " jedi"

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by elocke

Witches of Dathomir - would be a cool race and class addition, could allow for male versions i.e. warlocks.  So, less structured Force using, more chaotic.

Creature Handler for sure - Companion system would need to be worked around, but it can be done.  Playing a "pet" class in EQ2 with a Merc helping me is more what I see, but then that would make the class the ultimate soloer, but then again, all classes can solo.

Battle Droid -  or some variation.  Like IG-88.  I know, he was a bounty hunter, but maybe have the class have a mix of Bounty Hunter, Agent and Smuggler to make a new variation.  new race added too, Droids.

Teras Kasi master - game needs a hand to hand class and would be different enough from everything else.  Loved going off on Rancors as a Teras Kasi master in SWG, was so fun. Basically Star Wars version of monk.

So, that's what I've come up with in my head, sure I could think of tons of others, but alot would be hybrids of what is already there. 

Thank you for sharing your ideas.  I appreciate you taking the time to post this.  This is what I was hoping and looking for when I started this thread.  I would ask those talking about why SWTOR is bad and/or why SWG is better to please stop derailing this thread.  

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    There were some ideas and discussion about new classes on official forums a long time ago. people suggested some epic class, for example : sith destroyer - can use both type of light saber, versatile in using long range and short range force attacks; the rep counterpart would be called jedi Battlemaster. and then there was mandalorian warchief class idea that could use wide variety of weapons like pistol, rifles, assault cannon and would have several mechanics to it. there was idea of voss and gormak species and class assigned to them, for voss : voss mystic/force walker and voss commando, for gormak : gormak shaman and gormak techmaster. but eaware specifically said it a long time ago(probably 2 years ago) that no new class are in work or in their plans and every new species that will be added will go through current class storylines thus there won't be any race addition that would break that storyline; for example adding voss will totally ruin current storyline and won't make any sense at all and thus adding voss as playable race into game would have to be a totally new expansion like addition which is not in their current plan, unless in 3.0 they do just that.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• LovrNoFightrLovrNoFightr Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by allday88

Dear SWG Vets, 

Intentionally derailing/hijacking a thread or in your case threads is against the rules of this site.  So going forward any attempt to do so will brought to mods attention.  Now if you really can't help but talk about a video game that closed before Vanguard did feel free to create a thread for that.  It's obvious why you don't and that's because the thread will just works it's way off the list because nobody cares about swg anymore.  Now if you want to participate in these SWTOR threads here are a couple helpful tips:

1) Stay on topic, for example this is a SWTOR threads not Swg any attempt to make it about swg will result in a reportable event.

2) Delete the 2011 talking points from your desktop.  They were lies, inaccurate, and didn't work back then, they sure don't work now in 2014.

3) either go play the game you are attempting to bash or at least do a little research on it. 

For those who want to talk about Swtor I ask you don't feed the two or three swg vets who attempt to derail and hijack every Swtor threads instead hit that report button.  Hopefully the mods will start acting against these two or three who continue to do this.  Going on over three years and they are still at is ridiculous and it needs to be stopped.  

Correcting someone who is presenting "facts" that are incorrect should be in everyones interest. Regardless. Wether it's SWG, WoW or some other game. It's sad to see that your hate towards SWG and its players take priority over this issue.

SWG pre cu - never forgotten.

Originally posted by LovrNoFightr

Dear SWG Vets, 

Intentionally derailing/hijacking a thread or in your case threads is against the rules of this site.  So going forward any attempt to do so will brought to mods attention.  Now if you really can't help but talk about a video game that closed before Vanguard did feel free to create a thread for that.  It's obvious why you don't and that's because the thread will just works it's way off the list because nobody cares about swg anymore.  Now if you want to participate in these SWTOR threads here are a couple helpful tips:

1) Stay on topic, for example this is a SWTOR threads not Swg any attempt to make it about swg will result in a reportable event.

2) Delete the 2011 talking points from your desktop.  They were lies, inaccurate, and didn't work back then, they sure don't work now in 2014.

3) either go play the game you are attempting to bash or at least do a little research on it. 

For those who want to talk about Swtor I ask you don't feed the two or three swg vets who attempt to derail and hijack every Swtor threads instead hit that report button.  Hopefully the mods will start acting against these two or three who continue to do this.  Going on over three years and they are still at is ridiculous and it needs to be stopped.  

Correcting someone who is presenting "facts" that are incorrect should be in everyones interest. Regardless. Wether it's SWG, WoW or some other game. It's sad to see that your hate towards SWG and its players take priority over this issue.

I'm sorry how can you correct "facts" about a game you don't play and have no knowledge on? As I stated if you would like to join a conversation on SWTOR you are more then welcome, I just suggested you either play the game you are attempting to bash or do a little research on the current game.

My post was about you and the one or two other swg vets who purposely hijack and derail Swtor threads. Swtor was never ment to be swg2 I'm confused how you act like it was. These "amazing " feature you and the others say swg had have never been copied or implemented into another mmo. Why because swg was mediocre at best the fact it closed before vanguard proves this.

Now before you try to derail the thread again if you would like to talk about swg go create a thread on swg.  This thread is not the place for it.  

By correcting facts, hes talking about me saying entertainers would be a massivly terrible idea in a game like SWTOR, which was proceeded by him to "teach" me about SWG, listing "facts" that i never contradicted in an attempt to "show" that I never played SWG.

They are getting desperate, esp after the announcement that over a million ppl are still playing SWTOR :/

They are getting desperate, esp after the announcement that over a million ppl are still playing SWTOR :/

image Keep them up at night, it does.

As for space on rails I am fully aware of the Galactic Starfighter, which is still not as good as JTL or EVE or STO space combat but better then the initial on rails single player space combat, which I am glad to see you agree with. The point I was saying was NOT that SWTOR still only has the single player on rails space combat, but that I would play a MMO set in the original Star Wars Trilogy era even if it just had that kind of space combat.

You literally said their space combat was on rails, and that they were likely not to touch space flight again. Let me requote you: "on rails space combat, I would play it (although I do not think they will do the space comabt again anyway)". Their last expansion was literally 100% dedicated to space flight/combat. How you have the gull to say that they screwed it up so bad that they would not try it again, then all of a sudden claim that you are well aware of the dedicated space xpac, is qute an exercise in "trying to save face" IMO.

You literally said their space combat was on rails, and that they were likely not to touch space flight again. Let me requote you: "on rails space combat, I would play it (although I do not think they will do the space comabt again anyway)". Their last expansion was literally 100% dedicated to space flight/combat. How you have the gull to say that they screwed it up so bad that they would not try it again, then all of a sudden claim that you are well aware of the dedicated space xpac, is qute an exercise in "trying to save face" IMO.

I did not mean SWTOR, this game, I meant the hypothetical new Star Wars MMO set in the Original trilogy, I doubt they would add the same on rails space combat to that, or any other Star Wars MMO ever again

Dear SWG Vets, 

I'm sorry how can you correct "facts" about a game you don't play and have no knowledge on? As I stated if you would like to join a conversation on SWTOR you are more then welcome, I just suggested you either play the game you are attempting to bash or do a little research on the current game.

My post was about you and the one or two other swg vets who purposely hijack and derail Swtor threads. Swtor was never ment to be swg2 I'm confused how you act like it was. These "amazing " feature you and the others say swg had have never been copied or implemented into another mmo. Why because swg was mediocre at best the fact it closed before vanguard proves this.

Now before you try to derail the thread again if you would like to talk about swg go create a thread on swg.  This thread is not the place for it.  

By correcting facts, hes talking about me saying entertainers would be a massivly terrible idea in a game like SWTOR, which was proceeded by him to "teach" me about SWG, listing "facts" that i never contradicted in an attempt to "show" that I never played SWG.

lol now you're just reaching. it was your incorrect understanding of pre NGE that I had to school you in.

My proof is in your comments towards Swtor. Yes anyone can say anything on the internet, good thing here we have a post history and in your case shows lack of knowledge and abundant of hate for the video game you supposedly "sub to".

In all fairness, there are a few people like that on the official forums too. And you have to be a sub to post there consistently.

They're currently going at it in this thread.

I never understood why people would pay month after month for a game that sucks in their opinion. Still, it's their money to throw away. /shrug

Dear SWG Vets, 

Since I'm a subscriber, I have to correct your "facts" about me. I'm curious to see your proof to back up your "facts".

My proof is in your comments towards Swtor. Yes anyone can say anything on the internet, good thing here we have a post history and in your case shows lack of knowledge and abundant of hate for the video game you supposedly "sub to".

So you believe everything you read? 'Cause that's what you're saying. If I said I could walk on water, you'd believe me because I said so.  Wow. Just wow....

As I've said, I am a subscriber and just got my strongholds.

I did not mean SWTOR, this game, I meant the hypothetical new Star Wars MMO set in the Original trilogy, I doubt they would add the same on rails space combat to that, or any other Star Wars MMO ever again

Your quote was "although I do not think they will do the space comabt again anyway", not "although I do not think they will do the on rails space comabt again anyway"

Hence, you really had no clue about GSF, and are only now attempting to save face.

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390

Bioware has shot themselves in foot by doing the whole VO, cutscenes and personal story thing.

Would be an enormous task to introduce new classes. So in my opinion we won't see any.

Dear SWG Vets, 

lol now you're just reaching. it was your incorrect understanding of pre NGE that I had to school you in.

Please copy/paste what part I got wrong? I seem to recall only ever tlaking about entertainers, and Jedi. Getting Jedi pre NGE was diff than creating one post NGE. You tried to "school" me in "pre CU, post CU", though CU has nothing to do with anything I said. Everyone who touched SWG is aware of the CU.......it literally has 0 to do with anything I said, yet IM the one whos grasping at straws?

This literally went as follows:

ME: I am prob one of the few who got Jedi pre NGE, and I dont believe you had 3

YOU: You know nothing about SWG, it had multiple phases, pre CU, post CU, pre NGE, Post NGE

.......notice how those 2 things have nothing to do with, and dont contradict eachother?

And all of this was because I said entertainers as they were in SWG in any form would be a TERRIBLE idea in SWTOR.

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by Thestrain

Bioware has shot themselves in foot by doing the whole VO, cutscenes and personal story thing.

Would be an enormous task to introduce new classes. So in my opinion we won't see any.

There is some truth to this, but I don't think doing one new class would be that enormous of an undertaking.  Granted I agree we will probably never see a full new class that's leveling experience is the same as other classes.

If you take the reports that they are profitable, making a ton of revenue, then you take in game experience such as an active healthy population a GTN with tons of CM items and combine those two you could hold out hope they have the resources available to create a new class.  

There are a couple options they could go.

1) fully vo just like all other classes

2) have the new class start at level 50

3) give each existing class an advance class

I have no doubt they are making solid profit but are they willing to divert their resources and time towards new classes? that is where the doubt comes.

Even haters would agree that class stories are just amazing SWTOR in their over all quality and presentation.

So if you are going to introduce new classes and are not even going to do it properly then why even bother? it is just going get them more flak from players.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

It just shows how restrictive the game is, and is mainly a single player adventure than a MMO. The game does not allow the Jedi and Sith to adventure in the same space, whereas other MMOs with factions do.

The LS and DS points are pretty useless as even if a Sith has 100% LS points still will not go Jedi, or vice versa with Jedi having 100% DS points.

A proper MMO would have given you a fresh character, and then choose which path to take, and then if you change your mind do a bit of grinding and be on the opposite side, but as SWTOR is story driven you can only follow the path Bioware has set out for you.

They could easily make Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, Commando, Agent be for both sides. So in SWTOR  there are no stormtrooper / smuggler characters on the Imperial side, and no Officers or Bounty Hunters on the republic side?

The game is an extremely linear themepark, which is why it ended up not doing so well. This game will always leave a sore taste in so many people's mouths because it could have been so much more. Felt like a waste of a license. I really tried to get into it personally, a few times even.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!