Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Lichdom: Battlemage: Great Ideas, Mediocre Execution

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Lichdom: Battlemage is one hell of a cool idea from Xaviant. Remember Hexen, the first-person shooter where you played a mage instead of some gun-toting action hero? That’s the idea behind Lichdom, and for the most part Xaviant takes the idea in the right direction delivering a competent, if not fully-realized Action RPG. Read on for our full review.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Lichdom: Battlemage - Great Ideas, Mediocre Execution.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Disappointing to see some of the downsides. Hopefully they will make a fuller and more serious RPG after this. Can you imagine an Elder Scrolls style game with this combat system? Brilliant!

I imagine just being an indie game they had to kind of pick their battles and choose their features conservatively in order to actually
    Make a polished game that looks like a AAA title. I would have to think offering a bigger more open Would have just been too much for them to handle on a reasonable schedule.

Really would be nice to see this in a larger sequel for sure.

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    There should be a punishment for making boring monotone games like this...
  • tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

"Takes the idea in the right direction...action RPG". No. It is not the right direction. Action combat does not belong in an RPG it belongs in a shooter. Posters on this site often decry that the newer mmo cater to solo players. I submit that action combat encourages this. When the primary emphasis of the game is the combat itself there is little time for interacting with other players or for true role playing.

Getting off my soapbox now. Thank you.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by tordurbar

"Takes the idea in the right direction...action RPG". No. It is not the right direction. Action combat does not belong in an RPG it belongs in a shooter. Posters on this site often decry that the newer mmo cater to solo players. I submit that action combat encourages this. When the primary emphasis of the game is the combat itself there is little time for interacting with other players or for true role playing.

What you should get off is the game train, cause action  combat is here to stay! And for the better if you ask me. There is room for both types of gameplay, action combat or slower "old school" combat. Id you want the latter, there is divinity and the coming pillars of eternity. Dont try and force you own mindset on the entire genre, allow variation and diversity.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by DMKano

Awesome combat alone - is not enough to make a good *game*

An awesome game however can exist with *ok* combat, it doesn't have to be great.

Game design 101

I think this raises one potential issue with *indie games* - they usually nail ONE aspect really well - but fail to deliver on other parts due to small team, lack of funds etc...

I view Secret World in this category.  The combat is ok, but the rest of the game is great IMO.

I self identify as a monkey.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

"Takes the idea in the right direction...action RPG". No. It is not the right direction. Action combat does not belong in an RPG it belongs in a shooter.

Ehh... no.

I don't see why you think you can't roleplay action style.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

"Takes the idea in the right direction...action RPG". No. It is not the right direction. Action combat does not belong in an RPG it belongs in a shooter. 

Nonsense. Plenty of wonderful RPGs have action-oriented combat. Gothic 2, Risen, The Elder Scrolls series, Fallout New Vegas, The Witcher 1/2, and several aRPGs (PoE for example). 

And action combat in RPGs is nothing new. Hell, TES Chapter 1 Arena came out in 1994.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Glad I bought it for $19.99 at early release.  
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

There's absolutely no proof of that at all.

catering to solo players was full maximized in WoW so many years ago. A non action game.

Giving players specific reasons to group and interact is what is needed.

Some of the best grouping experiences I've ever had was in Tera. Also the best tanking experience I've ever had. In a group!

So yeah, give me more action combat.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I agree with some of the later posters.

Action combat certainly has it's place in RPGs. But other styles do as well. Most people on this site seem to want the entire genre to focus strictly on the type that they like and insist all the others are bad. To me that is such a marrow minded and silly thing to suggest. There's millions of fans out there, why should some be locked out from being able to enjoy style that they like?

I know it stings when a game really looks cool and you like many aspects about it but then the combat or some other major feature is just something you can't deal with. It bites, hard. TSW was a big one for me in that regard. I love the setting the lore the quests. Just can't get into the combat really. It's a bummer but I try to just accept it and move on. I know there's plenty of people who do like it just the way it is.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Glad I bought it for $19.99 at early release.  

Imo, what you paid doesn't mean much, at least when said without nothing else.

The real question is:

Do you feel it was worth the money?

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

I have pretty much zero stomach for the new fad, "action combat", and agree it has no place in MMO's for at least the reason you mention plus more.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    repetitive, you mean like Diablo or similar games? where every map is either a upside down or rotated or rearranged version of  2 or 3 core maps?   

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Your comment is amusing in a very sad and pathetic way. Action combat in an RPG is nothing new except to you apparently the sooner you realize that the genre is moving towards action the better your life would be.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

Nonsense. Plenty of wonderful RPGs have action-oriented combat. Gothic 2, Risen, The Elder Scrolls series, Fallout New Vegas, The Witcher 1/2, and several aRPGs (PoE for example). 

And action combat in RPGs is nothing new. Hell, TES Chapter 1 Arena came out in 1994.

I'll do you one better. Ultima Underworld, one of the games often cited as being one of the main inspirations of the Elder Scrolls games (esp. Arena), came out in 1992. Also, Ultima 7, released in late 1991, arguably had action combat as well... on top of doing things such as a living world with NPCs who followed schedules and carried out their jobs during the day (something not duplicated until Oblivion in 2006, IIRC).

God damn I miss old-school Origin.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

So, Morrowind for example wasnt an RPG for you ? Action, First Person Combat truly belongs into RPG as it makes the whole  expierince much more immersive.

Now the Dev's have to create such a game

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Bill, Hexen and Heretic didn't really have much exploration either.

This was my first thought too. (and as always, good article, and a cool HL video :) )

Both Heretic and Hexen were only re-skinned first-person-shooters. Which is not a bad thing, on the contrary, can't tell how many times we've played through the two Dooms, even in co-op mode. But that's a different genre, where map design and AI are crucial. In Lichdom, the focus is not there. It's just a one-way street with occasional fight scenes.

With fiddling the different spells, exploring spell combinations, etc. this game is closer to Arx Fatalis perhaps - only it's much "thinner", since it doesn't have anything else beyond combat.

So I believe the title's "Mediocre Execution" is a fitting one, the game is lacking from both sides, too simple for a FPS fan, and also too simple as an RPG. True, it's not a massive AAA title, and also it doesn't mean the game is not fun, for a short few hours of play.

I think I'll join the camp of "Waiting for a sale"...

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Originally posted by Mitara

There should be a punishment for making boring monotone games like this...

There is.

It wont sell they wont get rich.

LOVE me some market economics. :)

• CristianoDiazCristianoDiaz Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I think the criticisms of the game are valid. I've enjoyed playing it immensely so far, but it has gotten a bit repetitive. That said, the quality of the game itself - the visuals, the combat, the voice acting and animations is quite impressive. I don't regret buying it. Based upon what I saw during early access, the developer is incredibly responsive to feedback, so I imagine there will be improvements to the game in the future. It definitely is a great first effort - not perfect certainly, but the potential is there for a great series.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Combat can't make the game for me, it needs to have more. That being said, combat does have to be somewhat fun. I really love Secret World, but I have a hard time logging in these days just because the combat is so boring.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • NinjaGazNinjaGaz Member UncommonPosts: 53

Just came back to MMORPG.Com and I must say that I do like TheHiveLeaders videos.

Nice graphics on this one, but clearly needs something to keep the interest (Like most games these days). Everyone has been there, done that. Hard to make something new.

• gsgalaxygsgalaxy Member UncommonPosts: 7
    To me it feels more like they were trying to make a 'kind of' Diablo game style into first person. Here in Lichdom the gameplay  feels repetitive - the same gamplay (repetitive hack'n slay) in Diablo is described as great and gets high praise... 
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Rhazmuz

What you should get off is the game train, cause action  combat is here to stay! And for the better if you ask me. There is room for both types of gameplay, action combat or slower "old school" combat. Id you want the latter, there is divinity and the coming pillars of eternity. Dont try and force you own mindset on the entire genre, allow variation and diversity.

"Action combat is here to stay!"  Cause ya, nothing ever changes in gaming...........

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Sovrath

There's absolutely no proof of that at all.

catering to solo players was full maximized in WoW so many years ago. A non action game.

Giving players specific reasons to group and interact is what is needed.

Some of the best grouping experiences I've ever had was in Tera. Also the best tanking experience I've ever had. In a group!

So yeah, give me more action combat.

definitely

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by saker

I have pretty much zero stomach for the new fad, "action combat", and agree it has no place in MMO's for at least the reason you mention plus more.

better get used to it or you'll be miserable in the MMO space.

1970s dice rolling is going back to its former and destined niche status.

the fad (albeit a very long one) was the past 15 years, where people put up with it because you couldn't play MMOs without it.

but now?

its 2014.... we're finally getting some choices.   and we'll ALWAYS HAVE more choices from now on.  its never going back to what it used to be.

Corpus Callosum