Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEW CONTEST IS UP!

AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Hello all,

Well, we are back at it with a bigger and better contest image

Grand Prize: ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB Video Card
Runner-Up Prizes: 15 copies of AO with all expansions, 30 day membership and Jobe apartment

ANOTHER NOTE: This contest will mark the beginning of our "more fair" contest system.  Users will now receive one extra entry into the drawing for every 5 days that they login to the site between now and the contest drawing.  Note that these are *calendar days* based on EST.  Logging in more than once per day will not help your odds at all.

Good luck to you all!

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Comments

• ZoharZohar Member Posts: 673
    That's awesome! I love it =) I just hope I win now =P

• DesperadoDesperado Member Posts: 467
    Geeze, that is a whole hell offa lot!!  Christmas come early this year!  I signed up for the last contest- but stupid me just HAD to get drunk that night and forget to respond -d'oh!!

"A good man knows his limits, a Great man knows he has none...."

"A good man knows his limits, a Great man knows he has none...."

• DemonicasDemonicas Member Posts: 102
    Just one word Desperado........ouch......

I saw an angel of death come from the clouds one day, it touched my heart and smiled, then flew away, i felt my heart turn black and cold, and embraced this new power that i now hold

I saw an angel of death come from the clouds one day, it touched my heart and smiled, then flew away, i felt my heart turn black and cold, and embraced this new power that i now hold

• ShmeeShmee Member Posts: 321
    yay for contests.

• cyphorcyphor Member UncommonPosts: 131

Originally posted by Desperado
    Geeze, that is a whole hell offa lot!!  Christmas come early this year!  I signed up for the last contest- but stupid me just HAD to get drunk that night and forget to respond -d'oh!!

Isn't that rule abit unfair? Shouldn't the first drawn win the card and the next 15 win the games? Imo the rule penalises people in different timezones, or those working etc. If its a problem of no replies then just re-draw if not claimed in a set amount of time.

Desperado should have got a prize if drawn image

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Set an alarm and get up to see if you win image  It is worth it for a shot at a $500 video card...

Can't do much about it.  We draw tickets for 2x the amount of prizes because many people never confirm their prizes (who knows why).  If we give the card to the #1 drawn they might not confirm and then we have the mess we used to.

I can tell you this, in most contests - winners don't confirm for a long time (took 10 hours for someone to claim the last video card!).  If you are alert, and you are picked...you will win the prize image

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Ah finally at least a better chance of the active posters winning for a change.

Originally posted by hercules
    Ah finally at least a better chance of the active posters winning for a change.

Correction: "active VISITORS" - posts will have no effect image

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• AluadanAluadan Member Posts: 118

You mean spaming won't make a difference? I'm sure some people are saddened :::^b::

• thegravyboatthegravyboat Member Posts: 89
    I just have it set to auto login, does this mean I have to log out and log in for it to qualify as a "login"

~Best thing since sliced bread

SWG-Ahazi- Kovoa DE/DOC
    AC-Morningtha- Fou-Lu lvl 79 UA/LIFE

Nope, the auto-login feature passes through the same routine as the standard login.  It still gets logged into the database.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• MaxDamageMaxDamage Member Posts: 6

I was really suprised by the recent contest, how it took so long for a single person to confirm, but with so many more people having a chance this'll be much different. I also noticed that it took awhile after the said drawing time for the winners to be posted/announced.

Basically what I'm wondering is, what do the winners, who obviously want to be the quickest and get that card have to expect. Should I be refreshing my email frantically? My MMORPG inbox? The contest winners listing? All three?  Maybe you should do drawing 10 minutes before-hand if you don't already do so.

Oh and I almost forgot. How long is the time between sending the validation emails to each person? 30 emails.. 30 different adresses, do you have 30 different staff members with the email written out to each address waiting to click send?

Sorry for that rambling, but I'm hoping you have an automated computer that sends out the emails and messages to the inboxes all at the same time. Otherwise, I have no clue how you do it :D

• Odin1985Odin1985 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 342
    wow i just keep loving this place each day more and more, like for example, great staffs, great contests and prices, and great community, nothing can get greater that this great place image

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man´s character give him power"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Coder, Webmaster and Modeler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man?s character give him power"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Originally posted by MaxDamage

I was really suprised by the recent contest, how it took so long for a single person to confirm, but with so many more people having a chance this'll be much different. I also noticed that it took awhile after the said drawing time for the winners to be posted/announced.
    Basically what I'm wondering is, what do the winners, who obviously want to be the quickest and get that card have to expect. Should I be refreshing my email frantically? My MMORPG inbox? The contest winners listing? All three?  Maybe you should do drawing 10 minutes before-hand if you don't already do so.
    Oh and I almost forgot. How long is the time between sending the validation emails to each person? 30 emails.. 30 different adresses, do you have 30 different staff members with the email written out to each address waiting to click send?
    Sorry for that rambling, but I'm hoping you have an automated computer that sends out the emails and messages to the inboxes all at the same time. Otherwise, I have no clue how you do it :D

The entire process is automated.  I click a button and the system selects the winners and e-mails them all (at their home e-mail address AND their MMORPG.COM e-mail address).  This all happens in about 1-2 seconds.  There are many delays on the Internet with e-mail, so that is why we also send to your MMORPG.COM account -- users will see their MMORPG.COM e-mail immediately.

The delay in the last contest was because I did not have the confirmation page ready and tested yet (the page where users claim their tickets).  This delayed the drawing process, but when it finally fired off - it was still instant.

Hope this explains it better. image

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

who doesnt? i think admin should sign it if an active poster wins :::^b::

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

• Se_arSe_ar Member Posts: 74
    Heck man, everyone who signs into it hopes to win lol. Yet I somehow think that we should incorporate it more into "active" members, not by post count or anything like that. Basically like some timing system, with something like "links visitied from site" stuff like that. Just some little ideas to prevent people just to sign up and to log in every single day without doing anything lol. As always, I hope I win as well :P

The sword of light illuminates the dark. I am that light.

The sword of light illuminates the dark. I am that light.

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

i think these contests are just to get more users. and im guessing in some way more users = more money. admin may be all in the community and whatnot, but hes still gotta get something other than our companionship back :::^b::.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

• ClarkeClarke Member Posts: 5
    Good luck to everyone that enters!

http://www.faceofmankind.com

• thegravyboatthegravyboat Member Posts: 89
    Yea I work in radio and the only reason you do contests is to get more listaners listaning more often.  That and since Im not managment I enjoy give'n shit away on my show.  My listaners rule!

SWG-Ahazi- Kovoa DE/DOC
    AC-Morningtha- Fou-Lu lvl 79 UA/LIFE

• madjakemadjake Member UncommonPosts: 233

Arggh! I was one of the winners but didn't check my mail here until today, doh :( heh, oh well!! These contests do rock and I hope I get another chance to confirm one in the future :-0 hehe.. good luck everybody and thanks for these chances Admin!

I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring
    - Richard P. Feynman, 1988

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

!!WOW!!

i feel baaaaad for you

those chances to get a confirmation are like one in a lifetime

that is why, if you come here at around 11 the night of the drawing, there are atleast 6 people in chat (me included)

always make it a point to wait at the site until you KNOW that you havent been drawn...because you can loose a BIG chance

dude...that sucks

and the winner hasnt even posted on this site yet!

• Odin1985Odin1985 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 342
    wel i hope i win, normaly ppl that are not posting in the site for some weird reason they win, don´t know why, but i still hope anyone of us wins, specialyyy me

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man´s character give him power"
    -Abraham Lincoln

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man?s character give him power"
    -Abraham Lincoln

• madjakemadjake Member UncommonPosts: 233

I understand why it is setup the way it is but I am just a lurker for the most part. I check the site every couple days usually because I have a soft spot for it and mmorpg's :-0 Good luck folks

I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring
    - Richard P. Feynman, 1988