Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FYI Destiny is NOT a MMO Shooter.

124»

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    It is pretty much an instanced zone game excepted that you share it with others from time to time.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

It is an MMO shooter. They can use whatever marketing terms they like, but it doesn't change the fact that each map is an open, online sandbox where any number of online players can and will run into each other and actively cooperate. 

• KiyonoriKiyonori Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Aeander

It is an MMO shooter. They can use whatever marketing terms they like, but it doesn't change the fact that each map is an open, online sandbox where any number of online players can and will run into each other and actively cooperate. 

Planetside 1/2 is a mmofps. Destiny has tighter spaces and more strict limits on how many people can see one another in any given area.

The closest system I could compare it to would be Guild Wars 1's way of doing things except instead of being alone all throughout the area when you leave town you randomly see other people appear and disappear.

It's a moot point now, though, the label "MMO" has become so bastardized as time has went on that now anything with a chat box and persistence qualifies. It used to be that in order for a game to be considered an mmo it had to have true persistence aka no instances, hundreds of people on screen at once that was brought there NOT through a lobby/matchmaking system but actually traveling there from anywhere in the world. Now everything is an mmo: age of empires online, warframe, league of legends, path of exile, etc.

It's nothing but a marketing term now that people use carelessly and constantly to the point where it has no meaning.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Aeander

Bungie themselves already stated it's not an MMO but instead borrows from the MMO genre. You can keep lying to yourself all you want, but it doesn't change the FACTS. I will take the word of the developers before some forum dwellers.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/is-destiny-an-mmo-bungie-weighs-in/1100-6416234/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_(video_game)

http://kotaku.com/5984863/bungie-reveals-its-destiny-in-this-documentary

P.S.  Players CANT run into each other unless the game matches them via matchmaking or they specifically group up, this includes hubs as well. 

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358
    in a game where you can't even trade items between players I find it very hard to call it a MMO - still looking forward to playing it for a while though
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    they did mention that player to player trading will be added a month or so after launch. as for destiny being an mmo it is and it is not. GW2 is a good example, you can run in to others so itsn ot a single player, and there is no lobby waiting so its not a lobby based. GW1 would be the best example of what it is. Randomly populated instances, Not an mmo but not a singleplayer. But a multiplayer fps story focused game.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358
    Originally posted by jircris
    they did mention that player to player trading will be added a month or so after launch. as for destiny being an mmo it is and it is not. GW2 is a good example, you can run in to others so itsn ot a single player, and there is no lobby waiting so its not a lobby based. GW1 would be the best example of what it is. Randomly populated instances, Not an mmo but not a singleplayer. But a multiplayer fps story focused game.

ok all i read was on the bungie.net site stating they want players to earn items and not trade them.

• DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146
  • DrailliDrailli Member CommonPosts: 34

It's a mmo, I don't care what you say, it's a mmo. If you go open world on any of the zones you will be boping along doing world quests and have thirty people show up from no where that you didn't invite to join you. That is a mmo. If some jack hole steals your kill or your chest that is a mmo, and yep both of those happened. They can use all the market double talk they want, at the end of the day if random people I didn't add to my group runs through my world it's a mmo. When I see thirty some odd people running around through my play field ruining my sniping it's a mmo.

And no, I didn't invite those people, they were not in my group, nor where we matched as at one point I was watching a lvl 8 kill everything I wanted to shoot while I was lvl 3. So no in the open world instance it is a mmo, in the mission instances it is different as long as you stick to your missions area you won't see other players, go outside the bounds of it though and you will see world missions and other players all over the place.