Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Classes in SWTOR.

Hello!  I was hoping to start a conversation about what people think would be a good new class (or advanced class) for SWTOR.   Or even just a class you would love to see get added!  I know a bit about Star Wars and I am a fan.  But, I know there are lots of people on this site who have a better insight then me about the SW universe.  

I have a feeling that Bioware will most likely at some point add another class or two.  I also think it will most likely be another advanced class, instead of a full new class.  Only reason I think this is because they would have to write a whole new story level 1-55 for that class.  While I would love to see it, I just don't see it happening for some reason.

For this conversation though, I want you guys to post your best ideas for both brand new classes and advanced classes.  Don't limit your imagination based on my last paragraph.  Also, if you happen to love a specific Sith or Jedi and you would like to see a class based on that specific character.  That would also be great.

Playing through both the Sith Warrior and Sith inquisitor stories.  I recall seeing Sith units called "Sith Reavers".  I'm not sure how I would expand this class as far as abilities go.  I just think it would be an interesting class (or advanced class).  I imagine it as a class that would use it's health in order to cause damage and also being able to vampire health off of their enemies.  I also would love to see the Reaver use an extra long lightsaber (like a 2 hand sword).   Not sure if anything like that exists in the expanded universe, but I think it would be interesting.

Only picture I could find that looks like it's a longer saber then normal.

Thank you anyone who takes the time to post class ideas here.  Please feel free to add anything to the class I suggested as well.  Please guys and girls.  Keep it civil.

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

They could come up with something that fits into the Star Wars lore. Wouldnt really be hard.

Maybe like a droid engineer pet class. Solo you would have a companion and droid pets but in group content you would still have your droid pets.

However, new classes will likely never happen. Too much work. They would have to have a class story for level 1 to 50 and redo all of the normal quests for level 1 to 55(or whatever the level cap is at the time)to include the new class' voice actors.

Yeah, SWTOR is making a lot of money but EA doesnt want to commit any to the development of the game. Its been over a year since they added Makeb and they are only talking about adding a new planet.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

They could come up with something that fits into the Star Wars lore. Wouldnt really be hard.

Maybe like a droid engineer pet class. Solo you would have a companion and droid pets but in group content you would still have your droid pets.

However, new classes will likely never happen. Too much work. They would have to have a class story for level 1 to 50 and redo all of the normal quests for level 1 to 55(or whatever the level cap is at the time)to include the new class' voice actors.

Yeah, SWTOR is making a lot of money but EA doesnt want to commit any to the development of the game. Its been over a year since they added Makeb and they are only talking about adding a new planet.

I did briefly mention this as well.  While they might not add completely new classes.  New advanced classes to the already existing classes is definitely something that could be done.  

I'm not a fan of pet classes, but I know quite a few people do like them.  So, it's rather a good idea.  It could easily be added as a new advanced class to maybe bounty hunters.  

Thanks for taking the time to post your idea of a new class.  

I'd love to hear some more ideas for classes.  It would be nice to have a constructive conversation on these forums.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Given how the game is put together i don't see them adding new classes, about the only thing they could do is give each current class more variants/skill trees to choose from. But the game could certainly use more classes, as it stands the current ones are a bit limited, though if i had to choose between getting more classes, or more content, i'd probably opt for more content. image
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

The only thing I could see is more advanced classes. It would be too hard to put in new class stories on the existing planets, because they really designed many areas with the "4 on each side" thing in mind. 

For a new advanced class, I would like to see something that's more like the sentinel / watchman was in the original KOTOR games: using both ranged force attacks AND melee. The sentinel class they have now is pretty much pure melee dps (they do have force attacks, but those are also melee range), while the consular is purely ranged.

There are also NPC classes that already do this, many Sith / Jedi champion or elite mobs use both force attacks and melee you.

I wouldn't want to see new saber types, there are already too many ridiculously ugly sabers and saber colors in the game imo. I prefer to keep it classic.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

They could do something like a "Hero" class.

A class that starts that starts at lvl 50 or whatever level is convenient at whatever time they may increase the level cap.  Could borrow a little of how the DK worked in WoW, unique storyline, maybe unique planet or something.  Make it unlockable through Legacy stuff, or some other series of questline on other characters...     It could be interesting if done right.

Or, more likely, it'll be a Cartel Market item ;) 

Sadly, I don't see them adding such a thing to the game.  To be honest, not even sure what role they'd fill outside of a pet class (which I like the idea of a Droid Engineer btw!).

I'd just be happy if they continued the main class stories, but even that seems a far off dream at this point.

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

Originally posted by Sigurd57

They could do something like a "Hero" class.

A class that starts that starts at lvl 50 or whatever level is convenient at whatever time they may increase the level cap.  Could borrow a little of how the DK worked in WoW, unique storyline, maybe unique planet or something.  Make it unlockable through Legacy stuff, or some other series of questline on other characters...     It could be interesting if done right.

Or, more likely, it'll be a Cartel Market item ;) 

Sadly, I don't see them adding such a thing to the game.  To be honest, not even sure what role they'd fill outside of a pet class (which I like the idea of a Droid Engineer btw!).

I'd just be happy if they continued the main class stories, but even that seems a far off dream at this point.

That is an interesting idea.  I think that would most likely be the best way to implement a new class (outside of adding a totally new class/story from 1-55).

Also, I love the avatar you have.  Xenogears is still one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

The inquisitor could definitely use a lightsaber-based tree.

The agent ranged tree is completely ignored by players.  It either needs a revamp or another adv. class option.

I see the bounty hunter as a class that should really have crowd control and "non-lethal" abilities--they have to take their targets in alive sometimes afterall.

A non-rage build for kinghts and warriors.  I never liked the mechanic of having to build up energy to use abilities.

On a related note, the weapon placement for the agent and bounty hunter just doesn't seem right.  I remember Boba Fett and the rest of the bounty hunters using blaster RIFLES, not pistols.

And what's up with an agent using a blaster rifle when most of their attacks have a 10m range limit?  It makes no sense. A class molded after James Bond should use a pistol. 

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

It would be nice if Bioware adds more classes and races along the lines of SWG. I never played SWG i saw all the playable races and classes there and they were pretty cool.

If Bioware added the options i would make a devaronian pilot, or spy, or even entertainer for fun. Maybe female and similar in looks to Darth maladi ;)

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

It would be nice if Bioware adds more classes and races along the lines of SWG. I never played SWG i saw all the playable races and classes there and they were pretty cool.

If Bioware added the options i would make a devaronian pilot, or spy, or even entertainer for fun. Maybe female and similar in looks to Darth maladi ;)

Ah...entertainers.....ain't nothing like standing in the cantina for hours hoping players /watch you for buffs so you could maybe gain exp .....nothing says fun like just standing still in one place dancing and your only use being buffs :/

/sarcasm off

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by doodphace

Ah...entertainers.....ain't nothing like standing in the cantina for hours hoping players /watch you for buffs so you could maybe gain exp .....nothing says fun like just standing still in one place dancing and your only use being buffs :/

/sarcasm off

Entertainers were more than their buffs

Most people who chose Entertainer wanted to do that, and be social. Before they removed Battle Fatigue, people used to visit the Cantinas quite frequently, and they were packed, it was a very social indeed. People who played Entertainers and did it well played them so they could be social with others and chat, and had not much desire for combat. People who played and enjoyed Entertainers in SWG, as their main profession, do not play SWTOR as there is nothing like it to satisfy them.

Later the game changed and there was less need for Entertainers and the cantinas became as dead as cantinas in SWTOR, with hardl any one coming to them. The devs made the Entertainers have a combat expertise tree, and was the return of some of the melee professions pre-NGE, mostly Teras Kasi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOlaQjHEJFQ#t=11

• LovrNoFightrLovrNoFightr Member Posts: 218

/sarcasm off

Obvious that you never played an entertainer in SWG. If you actually did, it clearly wasn't the class for you. It's ok. Not everyone understood SWG.

SWG pre cu - never forgotten.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by superniceguy

/sarcasm off

Most people who chose Entertainer wanted to do that, and be social. Before they removed Battle Fatigue, people used to visit the Cantinas quite frequently, and they were packed, it was a very social indeed. People who played Entertainers and did it well played them so they could be social with others and chat, and had not much desire for combat. People who played and enjoyed Entertainers in SWG, as their main profession, do not play SWTOR as there is nothing like it to satisfy them.

Later the game changed and there was less need for Entertainers and the cantinas became as dead as cantinas in SWTOR, with hardl any one coming to them. The devs made the Entertainers have a combat expertise tree, and was the return of some of the melee professions pre-NGE, mostly Teras Kasi

Wrong most cantinas were empty but mos eisley was always booming even post-nge. The reason for that though is cantina's were no longer needed for buffs.

• LovrNoFightrLovrNoFightr Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by LovrNoFightr

/sarcasm off

Obvious that you never played an entertainer in SWG. If you actually did, it clearly wasn't the class for you. It's ok. Not everyone understood SWG.

You can downplay my tongue and cheek description of Entertainers all you want by claiming that I "never understood SWG" (even though I am prob the only person who posts on these forums who got jedi pre NGE), the fact remains that they were a very "non action oriented" class. I was commenting on someone claiming that adding entertainers as they were in SWG would be "fun"....they would be laughed at if they were ever implemented in a modern trinity based themepark.

Getting a Jedi pre NGE wasn't a big deal tbh. I had 3. Pre CU on the other hand...

It may come as a big surprise to some but a lot of players enjoyed playing their ent toons. They provided a nice social aspect to the game. Some would create groups and perform as a band or invite people to their cantina. SWG was a totally different game than the mindnumbing themepark shit we got today. My point is that even a "boring" non combat class can be a lot of fun to play. As for adding things, I'd be happy if they added speech bubbles. To roleplay in a chat channel is just the most un-immersive thing ever.

SWG pre cu - never forgotten.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

And by a lot you mean so few that SoE them self said that you might as well have a ent mule character. Sure we where plenty at the start but then it was a downhill journey. Even if we take away the pure posterior primates that throught that RP was a free card to abuse people and the people who had the idea that entertainer = their own free buffvendor. It was hell.. especially if you had your behind parked on a less the booming server (ie pretty much all the EU ones). People where rude... Nobody paid anything unless you had a female toon dressed in something that would make a napkin and a dental floss look like modest formal wear. The poor people who did dress like that in order to be able to actually buy stuff had a torrent of verbal sexual abuse leveled at them... We where ridiculed when we tried to rp with our customers.... Do you know why most entertainers where twi´lek... simple.. Lekku... Always good to be able to talk in private. =P

Yes... it was a blast playing entertainer and some of my absolute best moments in a MMO stem from the Mos Espa and Isley cantinas. But so does some of my absolute worse.

This have been a good conversation

• TroubleHunterTroubleHunter Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Judging by this cool leveling system, this game have too few classes. Star Wars universe is huge, you don't have to think much to come up with cool ideas for new classes. :D
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

CREATURE HANDLER

SWG pre-NGE had 32 professions, NGE brought it down to 9 (or 12 if count the 4 Trader profs as separate). SWTOR has 8 with 4 different Jedi/Sith variations.  It certainly do with some more. It would have been good to just have just Jedi, and then do bad things to become Sith. I don't think there can be a born Sith.  It seems the devs could not think up enough classes.

SWTOR is the NGE NGE'd

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

SWG pre-NGE had 32 professions, NGE brought it down to 9 (or 12 if count the 4 Trader profs as separate). SWTOR has 8 with 4 different Jedi/Sith variations.  It certainly do with some more. It would have been good to just have just Jedi, and then do bad things to become Sith. I don't think there can be a born Sith.  It seems the devs could not think up enough classes.

SWTOR is the NGE NGE'd

Except the game isn't set in the Movie timeline and the, 'Sith', race and cultural identity is a thing. If you'd played the game you'd know this but of course you haven't because your, 'owed', SWG 2.0 and hate SWTOR at a fundamental level.

Stop trying to derail this thread and please can you and your fellows get over something which happened 9 years ago..

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I don't think there can be a born Sith.  It seems the devs could not think up enough classes.

Oh come on, Superniceguy, that's a weak arguement even by your standards. There were plenty of times in Star Wars history that had "born" Sith. The devs simply chose more a balanced approach instead of shoehorning in as many classes as possible and then tossing the majority out of the window when they're not working out. image

Even Exar Kun's background makes mention of those who were born Sith. Darth Maul was never a Jedi either unless I'm very much mistaken.

And I'm fairly sure that the "Inquisitors" who are among the main villains in the upcoming Rebels show aren't fallen Jedi either. Then again, those guys probably won't be true "Sith" either, given the whole Rule of Two thing. But rather some guys who are force sensitive and have been trained in some of the Dark Side's secrets.

All of which is very much canon.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by Starbuck1771

/sarcasm off

Wrong most cantinas were empty but mos eisley was always booming even post-nge. The reason for that though is cantina's were no longer needed for buffs.

I never said that most cantinas were packed all at the same time. There was more than Mos Eisley, maybe not every cantina was filled, but I iused Anhorhead a lot, and there was hardly any room in it. There were also entertainers and people in the Bestine, Dantooine, Dathomir,  Moenia, Restuss, Theed cantinas, just a name a few from the top of my head. Basically people would hang whereever the main action was eg Restuss one was probably dead before they changed it into the PVP zone

• starrosstarros Member UncommonPosts: 7

IMHO the easiest for BW to implement, in current SWTOR settings, would be, as others pointed out, the creature handler.

At level 10 you must choose between engeneered creatures (robot like minions) or biological creatures (beasts and animals).

then for the tree specs it could be tank/meleedps/ranged dps for the robot advandced class and healer/ranged dps/dot dps for the beast class.

But then what to do with the companion system :(

Originally posted by Omnifish

SWTOR is the NGE NGE'd

Except the game isn't set in the Movie timeline and the, 'Sith', race and cultural identity is a thing. If you'd played the game you'd know this but of course you haven't because your, 'owed', SWG 2.0 and hate SWTOR at a fundamental level.

Stop trying to derail this thread and please can you and your fellows get over something which happened 9 years ago..

It is because I played the game I came up with that idea. One of the early Sith missions (BH if i remember) wanted a mother to save their son who was kidnapped by the husband, and then to be trained as a Sith.

No one is born Sith they are trained to be Sith by Sith.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

No one is born Sith they are trained to be Sith by Sith.

Neither are the player characters. So what was it again about the classes being pointless "because no one is born as Sith"?

There's a reason both of them start at the academy.

Originally posted by starros

But then what to do with the companion system :(

I'm sure they could coexist.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

It just shows how restrictive the game is, and is mainly a single player adventure than a MMO. The game does not allow the Jedi and Sith to adventure in the same space, whereas other MMOs with factions do.

The LS and DS points are pretty useless as even if a Sith has 100% LS points still will not go Jedi, or vice versa with Jedi having 100% DS points.

A proper MMO would have given you a fresh character, and then choose which path to take, and then if you change your mind do a bit of grinding and be on the opposite side, but as SWTOR is story driven you can only follow the path Bioware has set out for you.

They could easily make Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, Commando, Agent be for both sides. So in SWTOR  there are no stormtrooper / smuggler characters on the Imperial side, and no Officers or Bounty Hunters on the republic side?