Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The 5 Worst Types of MMO Players

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

When people can hide behind an avatar and fake screen name, it’s easy to indulge in your darker tendencies. Sure, everyone engages in a little new-player grieving, or hogs the loot for themselves every now and again, but some people take things way too far. They may not always be annoying, or even something that you really notice, but the types of people that make up this list are the types that can slowly contribute to the poisoning of an otherwise flourishing community.

Read more of David Jagneaux's The List: The 5 Worst Types of MMO Players.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

Oh, Fansy wasn't a troll.  He was on a mission for the good guys.

Out of all your types of players, I'd have to say that the elitists bother me the most.  Trolls are a nuisance, and generally their behavior can be actionable, but you can't to anything to make a snotty, snobby elitist go away.  If there was a cyber version of Off, I'd buy it just so I could virtually spray it in their eyes.

• joedankjoedank Member Posts: 13
    I find the marathon man elitist and know it all rolled up in to one package the most annoying and it seems like the norm of mmo players and the reality is they r a bunch of wana bes that claim they have been playing since EQ1 but are realy just wow babies.
  • LovrNoFightrLovrNoFightr Member Posts: 218
    Fanboys are the worst.

SWG pre cu - never forgotten.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Trolling is the same as Griefing?

I think there is a communication barrier here.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Whiners are the worst
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by joedank
    I find the marathon man elitist and know it all rolled up in to one package the most annoying and it seems like the norm of mmo players and the reality is they r a bunch of wana bes that claim they have been playing since EQ1 but are realy just wow babies.

I would say Marathon men are mostly egoists, besides it's quite understandable that someone is at least a bit in a rush after n-th dungeon run. With elitists there comes much more than just egoism.

Originally posted by LovrNoFightr
    Fanboys are the worst.

As long as you realise fanboys and haters are more often than not the same type of people.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

The worst kind of player is The Whiner. This player complains about everyone else instead of focusing on having fun herself.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Originally posted by WolfClaws

Trolling is the same as Griefing?

I think there is a communication barrier here.

Trolling nowadays is such a broad term... people use it for anything, from griefing, to lieing, stupidity, joking, you name it...

• CulubuCulubu Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I hate when kids these days think trolling is something cool. It's not, it's just obnoxious and freaking annoying.
  • EridanixEridanix Member Posts: 426

A very good article, in a clear and clean style. This is valuable. Above all, when you are dealing with the most annoying  people on MMORPGs. 

All these kind of people exxist, evidently as I have met any and everyone of them, just in diferent games, the same game or just the same gaming session together; it means they exist in quantities still not known, someone havve to work a little bit and let us know the numbers; we would be all impressed, and not in a pleasant manner.

But to some extent all of us are into one of these five categories, in  a slightly  way, but of course don't belong to it, as we practise the essential knowledge that the nature of MMORPKs is co-operative in its foundatuons. And I'm not the rightest person to say so: I'm one of the kind you missed there but, even with  the passing of years we still exist. I'm a PvP/PK type of player, and behave that way even when the ruleset of the game make it impossible. Why? Because for a long time it's been the big all-WoW era were it was impossible for me to be myself, but that's coming to an end. At last!

I think a good articulist like you could write one big article about  us. PvP(PK's players have a sixth sense to detect if another one is near us.  So we rapdly join, understand the lamentable situation of everything together and start making our day... and yours. It's so funny if you have a good comrade that shares this style with you... and when you are abandoned and solo, then you become to bore and become even worser. But of course we have a clear and rigid system of values, call it ethics that are only aplicable to us and how we interact with the rest of  the world. And for many who are a total different player and dont know how we are, i will say some curious thing, that is culturally valuable: in all the games i have played, the people who were like me, really were like me, it means, we were eager to interact, to create situations, to contribute in the general developing of events and RPG lovers. I dare to say that the 99% of the PvP/PK players like table top RPG games and are seripus people, even when everyone thinks the opposite. But there are much more to discover about the PK population, that in this days is almost non-existant, but we still are there waiting our moment.

For me the most unbereable and the people who made me sick are the Elitist - not to be confounded with the helping guy thata really wants humbly help you - but the Elitist, and of course the know-it-all. Both classes have as well a sixth sense to detect one another and fast they make lobby, most of the times it works fine, where is an elitist will be a know-it-all, and they lobby just  to ruin the fan of the rest, including mine, as i have faced many time them, and argued with them, and take them down to pieces when the things went so far and begun to be of a bad taste to continue trying to be reasonable with them as if the Elistis is the best raider the know-it-all is the kind of person who will support him til the end of days. They always have clearly positionated against me in games, i dont know why, and in the forums of the said game . name it x -, and its always the same. About marathon man, many times is the elitist or the know-it.all rushing and applying thieir wisdom, and the Crikcet sound i always thought they were some people from eastern countries who were not playing but just making gold or well the authentic self-inducted Autism player, that is only there waiting for things to happen and having no idea of what wre they doing at all, But there are many of them too, and not all are this clumsy; just plainly obsessive and dis-oriented.

Well, sorry for the wall of text but it was so good an article that i thought it was interesting to talk long about this. You could do a Sequel, for sure, with a good grasp of different players types clearly explained. It would be great.

It is a question of fangs.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Someone who joins a dungeon ( group mission ) and asks "what's the deal ? " then after I start explaining the boss fight they jump in so it's impossible for me to finish off explaining it. Then after wiping we tell the person not to respawn as we where about to resurrect him. Then finally after explaining it to him , he just runs around headless chicken like then wipes again and goes back to the respawn place. Doh and that happened last night :)

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• hfamgamerhfamgamer Member UncommonPosts: 64
    GOLD SPAMMERS...HELLO!! :) just had to say it.
  • PappabeardkPappabeardk Member UncommonPosts: 14
    My least favourite kind is the Noob, you know, the one who whines when all you're trying to do is help improve their gameplay? Either by giving them info, showing them the fastest way to do stuff etc? Yeah, those are horrible Kappa
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The exploiter. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

The ninja really bugs me. The guy that can't wait his turn or tries to take something you've obviously fought to clear a patch to.

And the greatest pvp player ever that just happens to be on a pve server.  That guy that can't take no for an answer when it comes to a duel and thinks if he follows you around spamming it you'll eventually say yes. The guy that talks about his great victories all day in global...etc. Basically the guy you wonder why he didn't roll on a pvp server.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211

Elitists probably bother me the most followed by the know-it-all who usually ends up in every guild I join, lol.  Just human nature I suppose.   I don't mind advice, especially if I ask for it.  Unsolicited advice jammed down my throat usually results in a bit of mental nerd rage on my part.

Great article.   Would love to see a follow-on article that addresses personality types in guilds!   MMOs are such interesting things and a reason why I play them.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

I would say the worst for me today's "hardcore" MMOgamer.

* has ridiculous amounts of time to burn

* thinks anything that takes a ridiculous amount of time equates to more challenging

* typically is a "marathon man" and an "elitist".

* typically overcomes every challenge by throwing a ton of time at it, worst kind of metagaming or zerging.

* wants every grind to be simple and therefore boring because its actually easier to metagame said grind

* and the worst, they think all casuals want an easy button.... When most want a challenging, immersive, social experience.

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Fanboys are the worst.

I agree. They should be on list..you know the kind who would lash at you and insult you in every way possible because you dares to bring up a genuine issue about the game?

They are the worst even more than trolls and Elitist. 

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    no gold/gil/adena spammers??

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Thestrain
    Fanboys are the worst.

I agree. They should be on list..you know the kind who would lash at you and insult you in every way possible because you dares to bring up a genuine issue about the game?

I agree but the close second to that is the guy who thinks they need to bring up the issues all day long in global.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Yes, but remove them from the game and all you have left are NPCs... can't be an MMO without them.
  • ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Thestrain
    Fanboys are the worst.

I agree but the close second to that is the guy who thinks they need to bring up the issues all day long in global.

Well that guy would be a troll then. image