Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade: It's Everything a 40k Fan Could Possibly Want

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Meeting Miguel Caron was an absolute pleasure. Though I personally am not into Warhammer 40k, (it’s a bit too dark for my taste) I always take great pleasure in meeting developers who are passionate about the game they’re making and Miguel has enough passion to fuel an entire studio and then some. He was exciting to listen to and even though there wasn’t any hands-on time with the game we still left the meeting excited.

Read more of Shannon Doyle's Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade - It's Everything a 40k Fan Could Possibly Want.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166
    Great article Shannon, thanks a lot!
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Great there is a lot of passion there, the question remains does that translate into good game design?
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Warhammer 40k is a joke that gets taken far too seriously (if my experiances with local tabletop players are symptomatic, anyway).

Unlike the column author, I always liked the grimdark ambience of Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k.  Especially in comparison with some of the more twee offerings available.  A world where a quasi-vampiric Darth Vader type holds the empire together -- and he's the good guy....

The voice integration approach sounds absolutely hilarious.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    meh...i dunno...so far it just lacks inspiration or heart
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

40K fans want Razer? Updates about the game when your not in the game? It is gonna be awesome because GW hires passionate workers?

Silly writers. All 40K fans want is SKULLS.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

This game looks like sheet so far.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Great there is a lot of passion there, the question remains does that translate into good game design?

Wow, it only took 3 posts for this negative line of thinking. Don't worry, it won't be good enough for you.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BrilliantCojonesBrilliantCojones Member Posts: 8
    I need this game in my life. Take your time to finish it, polish it, but PLEASE you have to launch this soon!
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

There is no one thing that all 40k fans want.

Some will have wanted a real Warhammer MMO that Warhammer Online should have been, others will want an MMOFPS for high action combat...others will have wanted an MMORTS where everyone is fighting for control over the Warhammer universe with their own personal armies.

The same goes with every type of gameplay. Its a popular IP and a portion of the fanbase is going to feel left out no matter what they do.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    All I want to hear is there are more than TWO sides to the conflict.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i ... don't get how the paucity of information warrants the title: "everything they could want."

instant wrist messaging and integrated voice ... and? that's it? that's all 40k fans could ever hope or ask for?

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by aspekx

i ... don't get how the paucity of information warrants the title: "everything they could want."

instant wrist messaging and integrated voice ... and? that's it? that's all 40k fans could ever hope or ask for?

That's all I got from this interview as well.

I don't know much about this game, but if messaging and manipulating voices is "everything a 40k fan could possibly want", then I'm definitively skipping this one.

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Netspook

I don't know much about this game, but if messaging and manipulating voices is "everything a 40k fan could possibly want", then I'm definitively skipping this one.

If you want more than that, you're not a real 40k fan.

You're just an errand boy sent by a grocery clerk to collect a bill.

-Chuckles
    Originally posted by Waytugo

Lol... really?

You don't want any game contents in this.... game? Only chat?

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469

Lol... really?

That's all a real 40k fan needs. I would pay a premium just to play this game with my imagination.

-Chuckles
  • EridanixEridanix Member Posts: 426

I'm waiting for this game. I think it's because Games Workshop is workin,g with a team which inspirational way of working is brilliant and it breaths from the article. The razer thing sounds pretty a good feature and voice chat channels are a must for this kind of game. So that, we have been investigating and the results of our research are so positive so far, that my friends and me formed a guild/Squad just to start playing WH40k: EC. Yes, the guild is formed and meanwhile we are thinking a little bit to stablish a genereal headquarters in a new webpage we have done it via Facebook. And it's working. We are now aa Squad of five persons recruited in five days. 

Another kind of thing is what one of the above poster forementioned: it would be useless and mentally unnaceptable only two factions fighting over Arkhona. No one real WH40k fan would understand only two factions, but I think, Ganes Workshop is taking care of what they are doing. So no real worries about it from a positive perspective, 

And for if someone wants to join our guild/Squad and talk about the game and gaming in general or Warhammer, or just be in touch send me a private message. We are preparing the fall of our enemies!

It is a question of fangs.

• machajasmachajas Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Denambren

This game looks like sheet so far.

Care to elaborate?

Or are you one of those dodos too blunt to understand "pre-alpha"?

Born from blood,
    trained to kill,
    ready to die,
    but never will!

Originally posted by Charlie.Cheswick

Lol... really?

That's all a real 40k fan needs. I would pay a premium just to play this game with my imagination.

Still don't get it?

If you ONLY need chat, then there is no game at all to play. Personally I think it's silly that you appearently don't want to discuss game contents/features at all.

And btw, it's quite arrogant of both you and Waytugo to "decide" who's a real fan or not.