Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointed but it's only beta right...

bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Disappointed after trying it tonight for a couple of hours.

Main reason was the linear feel of the game but being a sandbox. Starting out and questing is so linear. The game maybe a sandbox world in some places but others it's just too constricted to bring me into the game, I want to be immersed when I play a sandbox and not have the game hold my hand to show me what to do or where to go. If questing was done right it would have gotten points from me, but it has failed at that aspect as well.

The towns seem to be slow and boring, I especially dislike how the animations are for movement. I also find it hard to get into a new mmorpg when you got a lot of people the same look all the way through the game, many players daunting the same gear and look really doesn't do it for me, pushes me further from immersion. When Everquest first came out in 99 and I loaded it up and played the first time that was the experience I was hoping with this game, but it never got me, never pulled me in.

Combat is weak, the animations and game play are more conducive for Asian market, keeping in mind this was an Asian game to begin with it is no wonder it may not do well over here. I see the same game type you find in ESO and Neverwinter.

This is the kind of game maybe you come back to in 1 year and go wow they did a lot of polishing, it does feel a little more complex and real. But for now I do not get the sense of pleasure out of this one, it's lacking somewhere. Maybe you guys can tell me what I missed that is so great that it encapsulates me and pulls me in in an immersive kind of way?

Comments

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Be prepared to get flamed from the fans,  but I understand what you are talking about.
  • AureljusAureljus Member UncommonPosts: 10

Have to agree to what OP is saying.

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    If people looking the same ruins your immersion, perhaps you're not looking for the right kind of game.

May I suggest ToonTown Online?
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

is the game open for business?

Yes = not in beta

No = sure its beta

Tweaking here and there is not beta no matter how much they call it that. Mmos get tweaked until they shut down. Whatever they do wrong now is staying wrong. You are taking money, you are not in beta. This will be true until XL/Trion prove me wrong.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by Ludwik
    If people looking the same ruins your immersion, perhaps you're not looking for the right kind of game.

May I suggest you quit posting? The OP has a valid argument. You....do not...

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    I agree OP, i heard it opens up later on like level 30+ or somthing like that. but i cant even bring myself to do that just way to burnt out on the linear themepark crap. maybe if the game was opened up from the start it would be more fun instead of all the hand holding for 30 levels. and i doubt that these linear quest hubs even go away at higher level.
  • KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by bezado

Disappointed after trying it tonight for a couple of hours.

What level did you get to? Did you sign up for one of the packs? or just playing the free version?

Main reason was the linear feel of the game but being a sandbox. Starting out and questing is so linear. The game maybe a sandbox world in some places but others it's just too constricted to bring me into the game, I want to be immersed when I play a sandbox and not have the game hold my hand to show me what to do or where to go. If questing was done right it would have gotten points from me, but it has failed at that aspect as well.

The game is not linear if you subscribe or got a founders pack. You can go off the quest portion earlier and use your daily labor points to do all sorts of things. There are no restrictions. You just have to jump off the questhub breadcrumbs and explore a bit.

The towns seem to be slow and boring, I especially dislike how the animations are for movement. I also find it hard to get into a new mmorpg when you got a lot of people the same look all the way through the game, many players daunting the same gear and look really doesn't do it for me, pushes me further from immersion. When Everquest first came out in 99 and I loaded it up and played the first time that was the experience I was hoping with this game, but it never got me, never pulled me in.

You have a point here but not completely. Each town usually has it's own style and there are specific things grown in some towns and not others. There are also totally different continents with different styles. There are no restrictions to how you make your character, what you wear...you can even create your own emblems and display on your cloak.

Combat is weak, the animations and game play are more conducive for Asian market, keeping in mind this was an Asian game to begin with it is no wonder it may not do well over here. I see the same game type you find in ESO and Neverwinter.  

Neverwinter IS linear...can't climb an area to get to another or glide around. ESO you can't go underwater....both those games don't have as many crafting choices. The class combos you can make in AA are awesome. Combat progressively gets better and better in AA. You have to figure out what skills from different classes combo well for what you are trying to do and once you get it, it will just click and be enjoyable.  Animations are personal choice...up to you though.

This is the kind of game maybe you come back to in 1 year and go wow they did a lot of polishing, it does feel a little more complex and real. But for now I do not get the sense of pleasure out of this one, it's lacking somewhere. Maybe you guys can tell me what I missed that is so great that it encapsulates me and pulls me in in an immersive kind of way?

Immersive comes with subscription. You can't really fully enjoy the game the way it was intended with a free to play or free beta trial. There is a huge amount to this game. It basically takes a huge amount of things tried in other games and successfully puts them all together into one world.

You should watch some youtubes from people that bought the founders packs to see what the actual game is like. Most free beta trial participants come back with exactly your impression. It is a long term game as well. Takes time and some level of commitment just like EQ did in order to really get the most out of it.

There are some things in the game that will not change like animations. If you can get past that, the rest of your complaints are taken care of with a subscription and are only a faded memory once your first character hits level 30 and has a boat and glider and farm and working towards a house and other things.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    When you realise that F2P portion of the game is basically "Free trial" and subscribe, you'll be much happier.
    It's a fair argument.

It's linear questing and tab target combat all the way through. If you don't like that, it's cool. Don't play the game.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

These post always start out the same.  "played a few hours"

I don't play AA and probably never will but come on man, put a little effort into it at least.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

Every time there's a new influx of people to beta, we see the same sort of posts and yet if you see posts from people who have played the game for more than a few hours the consensus changes to something a lot more positive.

Unfortunately the early levels are very generic and people think they are representitive of the game as a whole but they're not. The early levels are simply there as an extended tutorial and as a means to kit you out with the basic gear you need to get you started,

People talk about the first thirty levels but I've been in alpha since May and knowing my way around the game, I was done with questing at level 18 on my first character in beta. By then I had a large and a small farm, the foundations of a house and my own clipper sailing ship, The game really opens up then, You can continue questing if you wish but you're not forced to if like me, you are more interested in the farming, crafting and trading side of the game. Everyone can set their own personal goals, mine are to run a succesful virtual business, others might want to be a thief, a pirate, a mercenary, a PvP fighter. You can go where you want and either stay in the numerous safe zones or travel across the ocean in search of PvP action. It's entirely your choice.

I'm finding it to be the best game I've played since pre CU SWG around ten years ago but you have to be prepared to work your way through the first few hours of themepark style play before you reach the sandbox part.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by ReaperUk

Every time there's a new influx of people to beta, we see the same sort of posts and yet if you see posts from people who have played the game for more than a few hours the consensus changes to something a lot more positive.

Unfortunately the early levels are very generic and people think they are representitive of the game as a whole but they're not. The early levels are simply there as an extended tutorial and as a means to kit you out with the basic gear you need to get you started,

People talk about the first thirty levels but I've been in alpha since May and knowing my way around the game, I was done with questing at level 18 on my first character in beta. By then I had a large and a small farm, the foundations of a house and my own clipper sailing ship, The game really opens up then, You can continue questing if you wish but you're not forced to if like me, you are more interested in the farming, crafting and trading side of the game. Everyone can set their own personal goals, mine are to run a succesful virtual business, others might want to be a thief, a pirate, a mercenary, a PvP fighter. You can go where you want and either stay in the numerous safe zones or travel across the ocean in search of PvP action. It's entirely your choice.

I'm finding it to be the best game I've played since pre CU SWG around ten years ago but you have to be prepared to work your way through the first few hours of themepark style play before you reach the sandbox part.

And that is a problem with a lot of MMO's.  If you can't manage to immediately captivate People at Level 1, you doing something wrong as Developer.

If Funcom did something right with Age of Conan, then it was the starter experience on the Isle of Tortage. A lot of Developers can learn from that.

It was the same with Wildstar..... by the time I was reaching Level 18-19 I was completely bored to tears! Couldn't bring myself to login anymore.  Such boring and generic questing with bland stories that didn't draw me in at all.

ESO, did it a lot better. Good storylines, with high quality voice over work.

In ArcheAge, either NPC's don't talk at all.... or talk in Korean lol. And some who do talk in English (main storyquest I presume?) feels uninspired. /shrug

TRION still has a jitload of work to do when it comes to localisation.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

I played a bit yesterday myself but it was way too much off my tastes. Combat and graphics was something i could not pass and keep playing. Looks and feel as a very "old" game.

Anyway its f2p so i guess i will check it again some time in the future.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• Rush84Rush84 Member Posts: 62

you have any idea how pathetic you are?

• nonstopaznonstopaz Member UncommonPosts: 8

Uninstalled after 1 hour of play.  (though i played Russian version with PA till lvl 30)

Main reason is i got bored by linear progression and skills were meh. 

Originally posted by Rush84

Yes, sir. I am the most pathetic Trion fanboy in the history of fanboydom. All the other fanboys laugh at me and call me names.

Would the suggestion have been better if Guild Wars 2 was offered as an alternate choice instead?
  • BreshaBresha Member Posts: 65

The real game supposedly opens up at level 30+

A beta weekend wont get you there,unless youre one of those who forgoes sleep and all that nonsense.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by bezado

but being a sandbox.

But it isn't a sandbox game, that's your problem right there.image

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Rush84

Yes, sir. I am the most pathetic Trion fanboy in the history of fanboydom. All the other fanboys laugh at me and call me names.

Would the suggestion have been better if Guild Wars 2 was offered as an alternate choice instead?

I guess the point is that MMOs should offer visual character customisation. When everyone looks the same its not cool.

@OP, I am not a questing hater or anything but I found questing in this game to be particularly bad. It feels bad and the quests couldn't be more bland or cheesy. If questing was done right, it would've been much better.

Other things I didn't like was the UI. It was simply oversized and ugly. I tried readjusting it but coouldn't necessarily make the mini map the "right" size. The graphics were meh too but performance was superb with no fps whatsoever so I am happy with that.

The main reason I want to give this game a try is because of the crafting. I really like MMOs with cool crafting systems and this one seems to have an epic one!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by stayontarget

These post always start out the same.  "played a few hours"

I don't play AA and probably never will but come on man, put a little effort into it at least.

I'd agree with this post about giving games more time. I gave it a sick amount of hours though and still don't think its above average. 5/10 and by that i don't mean IGN or mmorpgs stupid everything thats ok is 7/10 and everything thats good is 9/10 and anything under 7/10 is a failure crap.

Originally posted by kikosforever

I played a bit yesterday myself but it was way too much off my tastes. Combat and graphics was something i could not pass and keep playing. Looks and feel as a very "old" game.

Character customization is very lack luster. AION was also a Korean game and blows this game out of the water when it comes to customization.

Animations also very sub par.

The game world is very bland and uninspiring. Feeling very disjointed. Cities feel like they are just slapped onto the landscape with clipping textures all over. Cities themselves feel lifeless and sterile.

NPC's and mobs just stand still, terrible AI.  Mob placement doesn't make sense. Just dumped here and there for the sake of the quests.

Bandits just standing in a patch in the forest without any camp.

Harpies just hanging in an open field, while according to many fantasy lore they are tree dwellers and live in dense forests.

A lot of stuff doesn't make sense. It just all feels like a very old game, in a time when they were still Limited by Technology. And that was more than 12-14 years ago! There is just no atmosphere in this game. It doesn't feel like a living breathing world. /shrug

I mean.... if you look at games like WoW, EQ2 and LOTRO for example. All Three decade old games now. The Developers really created a living breathing gameworld that made sense and had a lot of atmosphere.

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Character customization is very lack luster. AION was also a Korean game and blows this game out of the water when it comes to customization.

The game world is very bland and uninspiring. Feeling very disjointed. Cities feel like they are just slapped onto the landscape with clipping textures all over. Cities themselves feel lifeless and sterile.

NPC's and mobs just stand still, terrible AI.  Mob placement doesn't make sense. Just dumped here and there for the sake of the quests.

Harpies just hanging in an open field, while according to many fantasy lore they are tree dwellers and live in dense forests.

A lot of stuff doesn't make sense. It just all feels like a very old game, in a time when they were still Limited by Technology. And that was more than 12-14 years ago! There is just no atmosphere in this game. It doesn't feel like a living breathing world. /shrug

I mean.... if you look at games like WoW, EQ2 and LOTRO for example. All Three decade old games now. The Developers really created a living breathing gameworld that made sense and had a lot of atmosphere.

There are little cogs in the char creation screen..use it to customize everything don't use the premade models if you don't like them.

About 70% of what you said is just pve crap that most people don't even touch or care about as they play AA for pvp/sandox feature; but i do guess that some people care about it, so i'll just say it's not the game for you.

About graphics being old looking bad, i'd suggest to buy a better computer as you are clearly playing with crap settings.

Originally posted by An4thor

There are little cogs in the char creation screen..use it to customize everything don't use the premade models if you don't like them.

About 70% of what you said is just pve crap that most people don't even touch or care about as they play AA for pvp/sandox feature; but i do guess that some people care about it, so i'll just say it's not the game for you.

About graphics being old looking bad, i'd suggest to buy a better computer as you are clearly playing with crap settings.

LOL! Is that all you got as defense? It's all just PVE crap no one cares about? So everyone just plays AA for PVP? really?

And I have a New PC and run this game at max settings with ease. Graphics are nothing to be impressed about.

ESO, FFXIV, TSW blows this game out of the water when it comes to graphics and atmosphere.

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by An4thor

LOL! Is that all you got as defense? It's all just PVE crap no one cares about? So everyone just plays AA for PVP? really?

And I have a New PC and run this game at max settings with ease. Graphics are nothing to be impressed about.

ESO, FFXIV, TSW blows this game out of the water when it comes to graphics and atmosphere.

Then go ahead and play these games ^^ If you are playing AA for PvE you are playing the wrong game, that's what i said. If you care about some stupid mob AI then good for you i guess; i don't give a crap about it as it's not what the game is about and it's not why i'm playing the game.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by stayontarget
    These post always start out the same.  "played a few hours"I don't play AA and probably never will but come on man, put a little effort into it at least.

Well there is a point to that, a mmorpg gamer like myself who has played roughly 15 years of online gaming isn't a noob. With just 2-4 hours of any mmorpg you can do a lot of things, if it's a linear style you can get pretty far quickly, quest hubs make that even quicker. I don't stand around twiddling my thumbs.

Here is the thing, if the mmorpg doesn't catch a players imagination and give them fun the first 2-4 hours, which I call the deciding period, then the game probably wont for them. This is like the same in real life when you first see and talk to someone you have that first impression.

A gamer who plays only a couple hours to 4 hours, in that time frame who tries any new mmo title has valid points, because it is the perspective point and how the game delivers to them. First impressions is everything in this market now days. With the over saturation of titles out there and big fails along the way, gamers like myself expect more, we expect a more polished and immersive experience right out the gate. We don't like wasting time having to play a week or 2 just to see that a game will start to play better.

So there is my point.