Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Galactic Strongholds is amazing. Simply awesome.

AndrewGoatAndrewGoat Member UncommonPosts: 160

I played SWTOR at launch, then about a month after and getting a character to cap, quit like a lot of people. About three or four weeks ago, I started playing again, on a whim. I wanted to see if anything had changed, and it had, and I decided to subscribe. I do not regret subscribing and will likely sub again(the first time for me to sub to a game for two months in a row in several years).

On topic, Galactic Strongholds was released for subscribers like myself today. This expansion is really awesome. The amount of content they put into the game with this was pretty mindblowing. The amount of ways you can get decorations and the little things that the Stronghold allow you to do is insane. I like that they tie some of the decorations into running Flashpoints...helps with finding groups for flashpoints, since everyone has a reason to run them all now.

I'm not a great 'reviewer', I guess. This post isn't a jab at haters either, it's just an expression of elation. This game is getting more and more awesome all the time now. I just wish they'd fix some of the bugs that are still in the game since beta. :P

I'd also like some of you to take away from this that even though some of these MMOs we've seen in the last 3-10 years 'failed' or were 'bad' at launch, sometimes its good to take a revisit to these games down the line. You might be surprised with how much better an old mmo can be with some improvements over the new mmos that come out and have less content and more bugs. Just a thought.

If anyone wants to see a Strongholds guide, Dulfy has a good one here, detailing Conquests and everything else in today's patch: http://dulfy.net/2014/08/18/swtor-patch-2-9-coverage-guide/

Comments

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    agree best update Ever!
  • AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149
    If you've built your own home in WildStar, this kind of housing will disappoint you a lot, sadly. You're feeling extremely limited and while visiting other strongholds, I haven't seen even one that impressed me because there is no real creativity. 
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Agree. We are conquering Makeb right now. Crafters are busy with making components for guildship stuff. Everything you do gives you a chance for items for strongholds.

No time to talk LOL, got to conquer makeb... competition is tough.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by AndrewGoat

I'd also like some of you to take away from this that even though some of these MMOs we've seen in the last 3-10 years 'failed' or were 'bad' at launch, sometimes its good to take a revisit to these games down the line. You might be surprised with how much better an old mmo can be with some improvements over the new mmos that come out and have less content and more bugs. Just a thought.

This.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by AndrewGoat

This.

I think the reason that players don't revisit the games is based on the fact that if it's not launch day and full of a gazillion other players, they'd rather not play the game at all.  It's why the obsess over server populations so much.  It's funny how much they demand solo play, but when faced with playing all alone, they are totally against the idea.  They must be there at the moment the door to the store opens, not after the rush of people trample the owner to get whatever sale item there is to buy.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Pepeq

I think the reason that players don't revisit the games is based on the fact that if it's not launch day and full of a gazillion other players, they'd rather not play the game at all.  It's why the obsess over server populations so much.  It's funny how much they demand solo play, but when faced with playing all alone, they are totally against the idea.  They must be there at the moment the door to the store opens, not after the rush of people trample the owner to get whatever sale item there is to buy.

So we had Wildstar and Elder Scrolls Online launch thus far.  Are you saying those other 352 days they are not playing any MMOs? Or do they just go back to their MMO of choice? Or?

• AndrewGoatAndrewGoat Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by Abrraham
    If you've built your own home in WildStar, this kind of housing will disappoint you a lot, sadly. You're feeling extremely limited and while visiting other strongholds, I haven't seen even one that impressed me because there is no real creativity. 

I've played Wildstar and used the housing, and I like the housing in SWTOR better. This thread wasn't created to debate the differences though, but I will say that I like the art style in SWTOR better.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Pepeq

So we had Wildstar and Elder Scrolls Online launch thus far.  Are you saying those other 352 days they are not playing any MMOs? Or do they just go back to their MMO of choice? Or?

No, what he is saying, is one of the things that drives me crazy about MMO players these days.

Some random noob pops on the chat channel and the first question he asks, is:    how is the population in this game?  

Well dumbass, we are all here aren't we?     And exactly how many people need to be here for us to all be graced with your almighty presence?   Is a million enough?   Or does it need to be half the population of China?

It just drives me nuts when people say oh the population is too low, I am not going to play that game.  What?  How is the population supposed to increase if you don't play for that reason??   Gawd, talk about a catch 22.    And then their excuse is, well if the pop. is low the game probably won't last and I don't want to waste my time playing then.    Well guess what?  All MMO's end eventually and its not like your achievements in any game will be preserved for all eternity.   Play it while you can and have fun!  

I just can't imagine how many people might pass on games they may have ended up liking, just for this one stupid reason, which in most cases is simply a guess or a judgement call anyway.    I swear,  I often wonder why these people play games when it seems all they are looking for is an excuse not to play.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

So far it´s really good, indeed

The Legacy Cargo.. OMG.. finally mailing stuff to alts has come to an end.

THIS should have been there from the beginning

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by DocBrody

So far it´s really good, indeed

The Legacy Cargo.. OMG.. finally mailing stuff to alts has come to an end.

THIS should have been there from the beginning

The Legacy Cargo hold is pretty awesome indeed! I've already started to stuff it with crafting mats. =P

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

The strongholds are pretty damn massive, the amount of possible decorations is as well. It's a bit overwhelming for a person who isn't traditionally into housing very much like myself.

I've only recently come back, most of my chars are still at lvl 50 and I'm mainly leveling alts for the story. So I've sort of decided to leave the strongholds as they are for now and benefit from the huge demand for goods to make a pretty penny.

Made 2 million credits yesterday off selling and reselling Underworld Trading mats and scavenging stuff. I'm sure some banker people will have made way more, but I'm pretty happy with that.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285

While I think the guild ship is great and the Conquest stuff that ties into SH's is neat, I have to agree.  I wish they would have at LEAST let you put things where you want them.  Everyone has such a similar layout and everything is so overly organized, it's just hard to be impressed.  I could live without being able to resize items, but they should have at least let us put things where we wanted them.  Hopefully they improve flexibility down the line.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Well I will have to come back and check it out, have been on the fence about that for some time anyway.

To that end, my old account was hacked, rehacked and banned. I could have cared less at the time, however, thinking no way am I ever going back, so I will have to start over from scratch. On that note, if I sub, even with new account, do I get rid of all the F2P nonsense? ie, does it just unlock the game for me on the whole?

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by Satsunoryu

While I think the guild ship is great and the Conquest stuff that ties into SH's is neat, I have to agree.  I wish they would have at LEAST let you put things where you want them.  Everyone has such a similar layout and everything is so overly organized, it's just hard to be impressed.  I could live without being able to resize items, but they should have at least let us put things where we wanted them.  Hopefully they improve flexibility down the line.

It's all fun and games until you find Broonmark in your bedroom.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by NaralOn that note, if I sub, even with new account, do I get rid of all the F2P nonsense? ie, does it just unlock the game for me on the whole?

yes.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I just popped back in myself.  I played at launch, their first patch made the game unplayable (20 FPS).  The second patch didn't rectify.  So I jumped ship.

I came back and lost all my good character names (Bob, Schultz, etc) but it's nice.  Good, friendly people.  And most people understand when you say you're coming back and are willing to help you get over the hurdles.  I found the community stronger than say.. Eve where I have good reason to doubt every good deed.

I started my first Imp and am playing that right now.  F2P goes away with subscription.  I'm playing Premium right now (my security key gave me enough creds to get the new and preferred bundles).  We'll see.  Sounds like XP farming is a slog later on.  If I stay, I'll sub but right now my interest is perked.

Originally posted by Ikeda

I just popped back in myself.  I played at launch, their first patch made the game unplayable (20 FPS).  The second patch didn't rectify.  So I jumped ship.

I came back and lost all my good character names (Bob, Schultz, etc) but it's nice.  Good, friendly people.  And most people understand when you say you're coming back and are willing to help you get over the hurdles.  I found the community stronger than say.. Eve where I have good reason to doubt every good deed.

I started my first Imp and am playing that right now.  F2P goes away with subscription.  I'm playing Premium right now (my security key gave me enough creds to get the new and preferred bundles).  We'll see.  Sounds like XP farming is a slog later on.  If I stay, I'll sub but right now my interest is perked.

With the free xp boosters you get you should be fine.

Not to mention xp boosters are dirt cheap on the auction house because people get so many from those packs, and if you're a sub there's not much point in using them (unless you really want to race to the level cap).

You can also get some Legacy perks to boost specific kinds of xp, like that from the Class stories, Warzones, Flashpoints, Starfighter, etc...  whichever suits your playtstyle best.

And welcome back!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

And welcome back!

Thanks for your link in your sig BTW.  It gave me subscriber to get my Galactic Stronghold and an inventory expansion :)  Hope you get something good for the referral (even if I don't sub)

Originally posted by Ikeda
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

And welcome back!

Thanks for your link in your sig BTW.  It gave me subscriber to get my Galactic Stronghold and an inventory expansion :)  Hope you get something good for the referral (even if I don't sub)

You're most welcome! That's what it's there for! (and to tempt people into trying the game :P )

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

Agreed. This is the update this game needed.

You can watch me drop 7000+ Cartel Coins to unlock all the rooms on my Tatooine Stronghold in this video.

http://youtu.be/35xk6XgksYs

Originally posted by Greyhawk4x4

Agreed. This is the update this game needed.

You can watch me drop 7000+ Cartel Coins to unlock all the rooms on my Tatooine Stronghold in this video.

http://youtu.be/35xk6XgksYs

Yeah, I know that feeling... I've gone through about 4k myself, I've been reluctant to spend the rest as I don't wanna be broke in case something cool comes out.

My Sith Sorceror has a comfortable bed now too. That ought to make Ashara happy too. image

I've been unlocking all of the strongholds and rooms through a combination of credits and Cartel Coins, a project I'm hoping to finish this weekend when I get a chance to get myself some more credits (stupid work days... >.< ).

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

saw new npcs, couldnt buy from em.

saw the stronghold terms, couldnt use em.

any idea when it will be "released" for the majority of players?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Originally posted by Thane

are you subbed or are you preferred or f2p because currently its early access for subs?

preferred sept 16

f2p oct 14

http://www.swtor.com/galactic-strongholds

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    For a game like SWTOR it is really great but if we are talking about modern mmorpg feature then it is mediocre to say the least. Horrible hook system, items placed on hooks seem unreal; like lights placed on ceiling don't even lit. there are many other things i could mentioned here but for a game like SWTOR we should just ignore those, at least it has the name "star wars". 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Originally posted by Thane

OR you could read the danged thread, use Azaran's referral, get 7 days Subscriber which unlocks Galactic Strongholds and stop crying about "majority" of "unpaying" players.