Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have they improved the powersets in this game or are they still bad?*

FanOfSupermanFanOfSuperman Member UncommonPosts: 144

I played DCUO for several months after launch, but left shortly after as I absolutely hated the powersets in this game. Was a long time CoX player and just felt like SOE really missed the mark with the DC powersets.

Every powerset felt really underwhelming to me and I found they were not much fun. Combat felt like whack-a-mole -- just jam on keys until mob is dead...No strategy needed whatsoever.

Furthermore, fire is a tank archetype but not blaster...really?

I really love the DC Universe and was just wondering if SOE has finally improved things or if the powersets and combat are still 'meh'?

Thanks in advance for any info!  : )

*This is not meant to start a flame war! The above are merely my opinions derived from my experience in DCUO.

Comments

• CleverjackCleverjack Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I agree with you. I'm trying to get into DCUO and I wanted to make a superman type character and they picked cryogenics, I was so confused. THe weapon set is brawling and that feels powerful with the ground slams and heavy punches, but the powersets I don't understand. Maybe that's what the iconic powers are for?

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    They didn't really make a good power set for a Superman type.

To the OP unfortunately the power sets still don't feel good. It's not that they chose bad sets it's just how they work that feels... Clunky.

I never cared for the power system in this game and the sound effects just make it worse. It's still a really cool DC game to play casually.

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by FanOfSuperman I played DCUO for several months after launch, but left shortly after as I absolutely hated the powersets in this game. Was a long time CoX player and just felt like SOE really missed the mark with the DC powersets. Every powerset felt really underwhelming to me and I found they were not much fun.

Same here. I just couldn't find any fun in it at all, especially compared to CoH.

Furthermore, fire is a tank archetype but not blaster...really?

No.

Each power set can fulfil two roles - damage plus one of tank, healer or controller. Players can toggle between their powersets two roles and different gear boosts different role specific stats.

So you can definitely play a fire blaster. Any kind of blaster really.

I really love the DC Universe and was just wondering if SOE has finally improved things or if the powersets and combat are still 'meh'?

I'm more a Marvel boy myself. I don't hate DC but had no exposure to it other than from movies... and most of the Batman ones (not the recent three) were dreadful.

I really like some of the new powersets - particularly Light and Celestial and I think that's contributed to my finally enjoying the game on my third try. But I also think I've changed as a player. I played a few more actiony games in the interim so I think DCUO's combat was easier for me to adjust to this time.

Though power sets do vary a lot. Personally I don't like how they've implemented most Power Interactions. I think it dumbs down and makes combat more repetitive. But some powersets are relatively free from this and I tend to enjoy those more. Shop around.

Thanks in advance for any info!  : )

You're welcome.

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Cleverjack
    I agree with you. I'm trying to get into DCUO and I wanted to make a superman type character and they picked cryogenics, I was so confused. THe weapon set is brawling and that feels powerful with the ground slams and heavy punches, but the powersets I don't understand. Maybe that's what the iconic powers are for?

Iconic powers do include a few, well iconic powers. Like I think there is a superman eye beam. But presently their most common use is for passive bonuses.

Like Dreamo said there's no powerset which really suits a Superman type. You can choose gear with stats that favour weapon damage over power damage and focus on that. If forced to choose I'd probably go with gadgets - because they're not 'powers' they're just tech you're using. That seems more Supermany to me than the alternatives but you may feel differently.

With his Kryptonian crystal fetish, Earth is another possiblity. And it's tanky.

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    DCU mechanics are good, but the problem is they tried to make it a wow style pve gear game. So what you have is people trying to make superheroes that throw cosmic radiation out of their eyeballs, and DC universe saying no you will hold an Axe and have this power set, you will either be the radioactive spider, radioactive flash or radioactive superman. Movement skills should be their own power set, however since this is a gear centric game and not a game for superhero fans they have to balance everything towards instance pve. Which is where the game failed from the start. Jim Lee should have known better.
    I just recently got into it again on PS4 so I could play with a friend who wanted to try it on her PS3. And I can say it does feel a lot better now.

I'm actually having a lot of fun. The DUOs are such a genius concept for end game I wish more games had them. You can use any two roles and they are challenging but less of a headache and easier to get into than the bigger instances.

A lot of the systems are still overly complex though. And they aren't explained very well in game at all.