Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanity Pets -- Why do people like them?

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

I've been subbed to ESO since launch. With today's announcement that ESO's subscriber loyalty program will award me with a pet, I felt absolutely nothing. Well, I did feel curious. I like the game enough as it is to keep subscribing and I don't need any pets. I trashed all the pets I got with my pre-order and Imperial edition because they took up inventory space and I don't use them.

I'm not even a cold and heartless min/maxer, but I just don't get it. They are cute and all, but they just don't add to my gameplay experience. I know people even spend real money in some games to buy vanity pets. I never understood that. Also, mount collecting is another one. I understand it a little better than pets, because mounts are at least functional.

Why do people like vanity pets so much?

Comments

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I like them. Having a pet follow me around is fun. If they were useful it would be even better.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    unless they pick up loot im not interested in vanity pets. At least in WoW you can do pokemon battles with them so thats also nice. But plain useless vanity pets that do absolutely nothing are just a waste of money IMO. I say waste of money because those are one of the items most cash shops sell, even with a subscription.

• BoltharBolthar Member Posts: 62

I hate vanity pets. I also just buy a single mount that if the fastest type and that's all I buy. I am not the type to do collecting. Then again I think the people that this appeals to are the same people that do a ton of work to just have their "look" a specific way. I just take what is next in line and that is it.

What I do like are games like Rappelz where having a pet inherently does something. Or something like Flyff where having the pet auto collects the loot for you. These are the times I get into the pet systems a bit more. I wish more games would get into pets in a broader aspect than just some pixels on a screen that do a few animations and that's it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

It's an accessory... a way to customize your character. You might as well be asking why MMOs have a character creator as the answer is the same. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    I think vanity pets are stupid. They do nothing for your character. The pet battle thing WoW has is also very dumb.
    Wow is funny. I used to like collecting the pets. That stopped with the pet battles. I have absolutely no interest in participating in those.
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

My first vanity pet was a panda cub in WoW Vanilla. It made great conversation till that last slacker would arrive in BWL or Nax40, 10 mins after the raid normally would have started. (somehow I do not recall waiting in MC)

When playing a game, I almost never have a mini pet out. Only when it makes sense (rp wise) to have one out. GW2 had the first mini pet I had out for the most of the time; a puppy. Called him Pancake.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Vanity pets don't bother me until they go outta the way to create outrageous looking pets that simply don't fit into the gameworld. When they stand out like a sore thumb, they become an annoyance to me.

Other than that, I ignore them.

It's the same reason I spend hours sometimes in the character creator and then in the gear I way in game and in games that have it months and months on my house. It just makes me feel a little more unique and part of the world. In wow last I played I had about 30 different mounts.
  • JoeyjojoshabaduJoeyjojoshabadu Member UncommonPosts: 162

It's a bit of psychological manipulation, isn't it? For example, in WOW any player can get hundreds of pets, no loyalty system required. But players (well, some players) will still pay or play extra for rare pets. And ESO has few pets, so a 'special' pet for loyal customers is even more of a status symbol (and quite a cheap and easy one to implement), for people who respond to that kind of thing.

• JoeyjojoshabaduJoeyjojoshabadu Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by Mr.SeriousGuy
    ok fine i admit it i am one of "those people" that use them even when its not a monkey picking up my loot in rohan or a wolf eating peoples faces in arche age . i am the guy who likes having a little beholder looking thing following me that will do nothing . when you hit max level you need things to do and when they are not handed to you and you have to do some seasonal quest to get it or its a rare drop from some place its something to do ... gota getem all

But it's more than that, is my point. For example, in ESO they could decide to just give everyone a bunch of pets and not limit it to any criteria (e.g. length of time played, etc). It's fairly easy and cheap to do. You'd still get the pet, still have it follow you around, it would still function in exactly the same way if it were given to special customers, or everyone. So why not give it to everyone? It's all about the psychology. It would be devalued in many player's minds, or conversely it would feel more valuable if it were given to fewer people, even if it functioned exactly the same in both cases. So it's not actually about the pet itself, otherwise it would be freely given to everyone. It's about an easy, low cost way to make (honestly, I feel manipulate) people into feeling special.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

I think they are kind of cool and great when they are temporary and removed from the game so those that have them can parade them around as status symbols. I think they are also a very appropriate item for the cash shops, they provide no game benefit so avoid the pay to win scenarios.

Hell, they are just fun, and if you don't like them you don't have to use them as they provide no benefit.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

Okay, I now get the customization thing.

But for me, that would be meaningful if you had to earn the pet in some way. If the pet were extremely rare, if you had to complete some quests or rep grinds for it, or best of all, if you had to find, capture and train it.

To get one just for participating in a non-exclusive beta or subbing to a sub-based game is meaningless to me.

However, I will admit the monkey from the ESO beta is rather endearing and it is the only one I haven't tossed. It's on an alt, but I just haven't been able to get rid of it. I got rid of the mudcrabs, though.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

They're more non-combat related options for players to participate in.  We need more stuff like this.

I'm more of a fashion hound and need to collect as many armor sets as i can.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by d_20

Okay, I now get the customization thing.

But for me, that would be meaningful if you had to earn the pet in some way. If the pet were extremely rare, if you had to complete some quests or rep grinds for it, or best of all, if you had to find, capture and train it.

To get one just for participating in a non-exclusive beta or subbing to a sub-based game is meaningless to me.

In some games you do have to 'earn' vanity pets. Vanity pets are obtained a lot of different ways in MMOs. Why, though, do you feel someone has to earn a bunny but not an earring, hat, or nose choice? 

However, I will admit the monkey from the ESO beta is rather endearing and it is the only one I haven't tossed. It's on an alt, but I just haven't been able to get rid of it. I got rid of the mudcrabs, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnVf1ZoCJSo 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

The game I'm playing has lots of vanity pets that don't do anything.  I got tired of feeding my "plant" pet and carrying it around for 50+ levels for nothing so I decided to delete it.  

One day while doing an end-game dungeon I noticed a teammate spawning his plant pet prior to fighting the last boss.  I had a good laugh until I saw his pet eating all the "Bee adds" the boss was spawning.

Dam I wish I had that pet back.........

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by d_20

Why do people like vanity pets so much?

Why do people like to collect stamps?

Why do people like to collect action figures?

May be there is some commonality.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    They're a contradiction in terms.  If everyone in the game has them, such as the mudcrab in ESO, they can hardly be classed as a "vanity" item.  I see no point in showing off a vanity pet if 99% of people have them as well.
  • PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

I have never seen the point of vanity pets.  

Take Kingsisle as an example of pets done well.  Many drop from mobs, they fight for you, you can have pet duels, you can breed them, train them etc etc.  Breeding in particular allows you to combine pets to to make a (possibly) stronger offspring and a new skin, if you are careful with the stats you choose to combine.  In my view a kids game has managed to turn a bit of a fluff side game into a far more interesting experience than any AAA mmo.  

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Don't get it either. In both GW2 and SW:TOR many of those most desired pets are selling for huge amounts of in-game currency as well.

Personally I don't even notice they're there most of the time (I only have some of the subscriber reward pets) and generally think they're pointlessly silly. "Oh we have a super big monster in our game, lets shrink it down and color it orange, then sell it for a ton of money", I don't get why people buy into that.

But to each their own I guess. I did manage to make a lot of money off of them when I got a lucky drop, so that's nice.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

The question in OP is one that can never be truly answered. Some like em some don't.

Personaly have nothing against vanity pets but will never buy one from some sort of ingame cashshop.

Now a pet system where you can catch/tame or maybe even bio-engineer a pet that actually needs to grow to either become a mount of sorts or a fightin pet companion would be more my thing as it relates to something I feel should be present in a game with the RPG tag. But only as a option for those (like me) that can enjoy that sort of thing.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

You might as well ask why people buy cool t-shirts when they could simply buy a blank boring one at a much lower price. Same with all other sorts of accessories, cars and just about every other thing you can buy.

Some get them because they think they look cool, while for others it's more of a "Look what I have (and you don't)" kind of thing.

There are probably as many different reasons to like them (or not to like them) as there people. :P

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    It's addictive. Once you start collecting something you will not be able to stop. My sister collected Fanta bottle caps for some contest and she became a fiend diving down into rubbish to pick some dirty cap or wait about like a vulture while someone opens the bottle to swoop in and take the top off their unsuspecting hands. It became a running joke and we all would tease her mercilessly even years later while she went through  hockey players autographs, mugs from Starbusks,pop tabs and on and on. She is still like that in games she plays, My advice is don't start collecting even mildly seriously you will disappear down that vortex never to be heard from again.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I don't like to participate in stuff like pets/achievements, in fact I try to avoid doing them as much as possible.

But I understand that people like to collect stuff. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by Reklaw

The question in OP is one that can never be truly answered. Some like em some don't.

Personaly have nothing against vanity pets but will never buy one from some sort of ingame cashshop.

Now a pet system where you can catch/tame or maybe even bio-engineer a pet that actually needs to grow to either become a mount of sorts or a fightin pet companion would be more my thing as it relates to something I feel should be present in a game with the RPG tag. But only as a option for those (like me) that can enjoy that sort of thing.

This would work for me.

Doesn't AoC have something like this where you capture a tiger and raise it into your mount? I think ArcheAge has something like that, too, but I don't know the particulars.