Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO - Still the TOP selling PC Game UK - Aug. 16th

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110022

LATEST UK SOFTWARE CHARTS

TOP 20 PC ENTERTAINMENT (FULL PRICE), WEEK ENDING 16 August 2014

LW

TW     Title Developer Label Publisher
1 image 1     THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE ZENIMAX ONLINE BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
2 image 2     THE SIMS 3: STARTER BUNDLE THE SIMS STUDIO EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
4 image 3     DIABLO III: REAPER OF SOULS BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT BLIZZARD ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
3 image 4     BATTLEFIELD 4 DIGITAL ILLUSIONS EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
6 image 5     ROME: TOTAL WAR II CREATIVE ASSEMBLY SEGA SEGA
5 image 6     WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER MACHINEGAMES BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
7 image 7     WILDSTAR CARBINE STUDIOS NCSOFT EUROPE NCSOFT EUROPE
12 image 8     SNIPER ELITE 3 REBELLION SOLD OUT SALES & MARKETING SOLD OUT SALES & MARKETING
11 image 9     EURO TRUCK SIMULATOR 2: SPECIAL EDITION SCS SOFTWARE EXCALIBUR PUBLISHING EXCALIBUR PUBLISHING
18 image 10     THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM - LEGENDARY BETHESDA BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
9 image 11     WATCH DOGS UBISOFT (MONTREAL) UBISOFT UBISOFT
17 image 12     TITANFALL RESPAWN ENTERTAINMENT EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
15 image 13     THE ELDER SCROLLS: ANTHOLOGY BETHESDA BETHESDA SOFTWORKS BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
8 image 14     DIABLO III BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT BLIZZARD ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
14 image 15     ROCKSMITH 2014 EDITION UBISOFT (SAN FRANCISCO) UBISOFT UBISOFT
10 image 16     TROPICO 5 HAEMIMONT GAMES KALYPSO MEDIA KALYPSO MEDIA
13 image 17     BROKEN SWORD 5: THE SERPENT'S CURSE REVOLUTION DEEP SILVER KOCH MEDIA
- image 18     PLANTS VS ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE POPCAP GAMES EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS
- image 19     MURDERED: SOUL SUSPECT AIRTIGHT GAMES SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
19 image 20     GRID AUTOSPORT CODEMASTERS CODEMASTERS CODEMASTERS

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    congrats on success ESO
  • SjorAndSkySjorAndSky Member UncommonPosts: 24

Inb4 "Omg these official numbers aren't legit, and can't be taken seriously! Yet my personal guess, based solely on my opinion of the game, should be!"

In all seriousness, this is great to see. Zenimax has really impressed me with the work they've put in this game since launch. I've had a great time in ESO since Early Beta and the future only looks better!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Sad.   

TESO featured in the all format full price entertainment top 40 chat back in in April but then dropped out ... but has remained a top seller in the PC chart (has shown as number 1 on other weeks as well).

A sorry reflection on the state of PC retail sales in the UK and probably elsewhere. (Assuming the charts are somewhat accurate.)

• SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318

Lmao, Sims 3 second.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Signex

Lmao, Sims 3 second.

Best game. Addictive like crack. image

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Wildstar is number 7 . Well for a niche game that is good. This may be a sad reflection on how bad PC gaming and MMOs in particular are doing.
    Chamber of Chains
  • AlakorAlakor Member UncommonPosts: 46
    92% of all PC games are thru online retailers, we could just close all physical retailers and it wouldnt be noticeable.
    Originally posted by DMKano

Yeah - and they didn't even make it into the top 40 game sales chart on the same site.

So how many copies did they sell? A couple of thousand? 

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015

So yeah top of PC chart sales and not even in top 40 game sales - it means PC games arent selling for shit and ESO total sales were low even as number one on that PC chart.

Now i am confused.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Sad.   

TESO featured in the all format full price entertainment top 40 chat back in in April but then dropped out ... but has remained a top seller in the PC chart (has shown as number 1 on other weeks as well).

A sorry reflection on the state of PC retail sales in the UK and probably elsewhere. (Assuming the charts are somewhat accurate.)

I'm not expert, but I guess that information comes from box sales... and my bet is that the majority of  PC gamers buy digital stuff these days.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Ghabbo

I'm not expert, but I guess that information comes from box sales... and my bet is that the majority of  PC gamers buy digital stuff these days.

I think digital sales are included -- Wildstar boxes are very rare to see  (yet its #7)

Sad.   

Yep. Retail box sales from stores that the site tracks - not sure it will have access to data from e.g. supermarket chains.

It won't capture online retail sales through e.g. Amazon either. And as you say many are digital these days via Steam etc.

Edit: As Nadia says it probably will include digital sales from e.g. GAME - if they are one of the retailers they collect data from of course. Which makes the chart an even sadder reflection on the state of retail PC sales.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Sad.   

Yep. Retail box sales from stores that the site tracks - not sure it will have access to data from e.g. supermarket chains.

It won't capture online retail sales through e.g. Amazon either. And as you say many are digital these days via Steam etc.

In the UK at least, ESO is number 26 in Amazons 'best seller' charts, which given that there aren't many outlets for PC games that are not online retailers, hard to see how it could be number 1 as even priced at £15 its not really doing too well by the look of it;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-PC/dp/B0080V93Q8/ref=zg_bs_676440011_26

Find it very hard to believe the game is rated anywhere in the top 10 for sales, certainly, there are no indications that it is number 1 in the UK.

I doubt the 'chart' is reflective of actual sales tbh, but some other weird method that somehow eliminates other games from the 'results' image

• EridanixEridanix Member Posts: 426

It reflects only the box sales, what is impressingis that this game still is selling boxes and a good rate when we all know MMORPG's are adquired by online methods. So that, if they even are top selling in the boxes market, and envisioning this from a well-intentioned and somewhat logical point of view, they are top selling via online too.... as one consumers habit in a given space mirrors perfectly the same habit in the same space, even when made by other means that more likekys are what we are use to do.

So I'm glad. Zenimax has launched an AAA quality game, with all his flaws and a lot of bad things we have read here to boredom, but, as quality always win versus mediocrity, ESO is making an entire home round without any problem.

Oh, and it doesn't mean I like hand holding themeparks. I would never pay for one. But when you see a good work getting the success it merits, you feel that the world, at least for some time, keeps turning in the direction is meant to do, and not the opposite. 

Congrats Zenimax/Bethesda. Great professionals.

It is a question of fangs.

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Yeah - and they didn't even make it into the top 40 game sales chart on the same site.

So how many copies did they sell? A couple of thousand? 

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015

So yeah top of PC chart sales and not even in top 40 game sales - it means PC games arent selling for shit and ESO total sales were low even as number one on that PC chart.

Now i am confused.

It means that UK retail sales (that they track) of the number 1 PC title was outsold by e.g. a Nintendo 3DS games.

Or put another way if (tracked) retail sales of the number 40 all format game were 10k - or whatever - the number 1 selling PC game sold less than 10k. 

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Yeah - and they didn't even make it into the top 40 game sales chart on the same site.So how many copies did they sell? A couple of thousand? http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015 So yeah top of PC chart sales and not even in top 40 game sales - it means PC games arent selling for shit and ESO total sales were low even as number one on that PC chart. 

Ding ding ding we have a winner !

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135
    SO much hate for no apparent reason :)
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Paske

All I care about is that when I log into ESO I see Activity everywhere! Tons of People roaming about in all zones. Including starter zones.

That is a true indication the game is doing well!

Unlike for example Wildstar, where most zones (especially starter zones) were already barren wastelands within 2 months after release.

These charts don't say anything.... most people buy digital these days. Me included.

ESO was actually an exception this time around when I bought it at release, as for me here in Norway, the Retail Box was cheaper than the digital price lol.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Originally posted by Nadia

I think digital sales are included -- Wildstar boxes are very rare to see  (yet its #7)

Nope, since Valve do not release sales figures steam sales are not tracked for a start (Valve tell you how many people are playing the game on their system, but their "top sellers" list has been confirmed in the past to not be an accurate reflection of sales figures).

Likewise most other digital distributors do not release actual sales figures, so at best this is a guesstimate of them, at worst it is the physical retail copies sold, and considering most games retailers do not stock much in the way of PC games (due to most PC game sales being digital these days).

Basically TESO is topping a small percentage of a small percentage of the overall market.  The data its self is meaningless in the wider scope of things, but atleast has one small silver lining for the game, when the console version comes out it will likely sell well.

The fact that the sims is in number 2 should tell you all you need to know about this chart.

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Hard for LoL, DoTA2, HS, PoE, TF2, PS2, SWTOR, WoT, and WF to crack that list when they're all f2p.

Shit, WoW is f2p till level 20. I'm not even sure it would qualify for that list.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Surely it would be listed at least in the top 100 current played games on Steam, right?  Not as of 11:10 AM EST, but maybe it will squeak on there by tonight?  Hmmm, even Firefall is currently in their top 40 spot.  Defiance, Neverwinter, FF:ARR and Rift are on the top 100 list too but no ESO.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    you cant buy DayZ at Wallmart

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

You are confusing 'logic' with hate.

Originally posted by Kothoses
    Originally posted by Nadia

Nope, since Valve do not release sales figures steam sales are not tracked for a start (Valve tell you how many people are playing the game on their system, but their "top sellers" list has been confirmed in the past to not be an accurate reflection of sales figures).

Likewise most other digital distributors do not release actual sales figures, so at best this is a guesstimate of them, at worst it is the physical retail copies sold, and considering most games retailers do not stock much in the way of PC games (due to most PC game sales being digital these days).

Basically TESO is topping a small percentage of a small percentage of the overall market.  The data its self is meaningless in the wider scope of things, but atleast has one small silver lining for the game, when the console version comes out it will likely sell well.

Digital sales: yes and no.

The data is simply coming from EPOS - Electronic Point of Sale - feeds. From retailers who are signed up - so GANE probably, ASDA (Walmart), TESCO etc. probably not.

GAME however sells retail physical and retail digital copies. Maybe people can trade the digital key back to GAME or maybe some people just don't like buying online. Whatever. So the EPOS feed will be a mix of physical and digital from whatever retailers are signed up. 

What you say about Steam and other digital only distributors though - yeah. Although we can see how many people play TESO via Steam.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Signex

Lmao, Sims 3 second.

Best game. Addictive like crack. image

Haha, agreed to extent, yet, every time I play I have to stop because I think to myself, why am I not cleaning up my real messes :).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by JeroKane

All I care about is that when I log into ESO I see Activity everywhere! Tons of People roaming about in all zones. Including starter zones.

That is a true indication the game is doing well!

Unlike for example Wildstar, where most zones (especially starter zones) were already barren wastelands within 2 months after release.

These charts don't say anything.... most people buy digital these days. Me included.

ESO was actually an exception this time around when I bought it at release, as for me here in Norway, the Retail Box was cheaper than the digital price lol.

Basically this is how I feel, I don't care about charts or my game is better competitions, all i care about is when I log in there are people around having fun. Nothing else really matters, at least to me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson