Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please Stop With the Genre's Doom and Gloom!

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

After seeing yet another "MMOs are declining" post, I feel the need to say, "STOP IT!!"

The genre is NOT on the decline. The game quality may not be to your liking, or the direction the genre has gone may not please (it certainly displeases me), but NOT in any way, shape, or form is the genre in any kind of decline.

MORE players are playing MMOs than 14 years ago.
MORE games are available than 14 years ago.
MORE money is coming in every month than ever before.

If this indicates a "decline" to you, you had best go back to school. You missed a class or two on basic business.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• DilligDillig Member UncommonPosts: 123

You forgot....

More crap is being made then ever before!

Except that is our (the players) fault we keep listening to the promises and then spending money on the complete garbage they keep feeding to us.

I don't think MMO's are declining but the quality of the games is certainly at an all time low.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

This forum is like the "Facebookexperiment" where people view negative posts and are far more likely to get on the negative road. Would this forum actually have a majority of people writting about the game they like/love we might see a change.

But overall most seem to spend time at games they dislike so I don't think we will see a change anytime soon.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    So clever... reducing the number of threads on this subject by telling us to stop posting on the subject with your very own thread!
  • NeikenNeiken Member Posts: 254
    I agree, lets stop with all the negative doom and gloom already guys and gals. This forum has always had more of a negative vibe going for it though, its why I lurk.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    You can blame only the players for everything.  Raiders(hardcore'ers) demand the best rewards we gated and not OW.  Griefers make OW-PvP hated.  Sandbox is stuck behind these two groups.
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Telling people not to write posts on "This type of game style isn't wanted anymore. Studios should make this other type" or "X, Y and Z games suck because they're F2P, Subscription, Hybrid or made by company A, B or C" is like telling the sun not to rise or people not to screw. You're wasting your time, regardless of the number of people that actually do agree with you.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I proposed a new section dedicated for such threads a while back.

The doom & gloom really does bring the quality of these forums down. Mods should definitely do something about it.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

After seeing yet another "MMOs are declining" post, I feel the need to say, "STOP IT!!"

The genre is NOT on the decline. The game quality may not be to your liking, or the direction the genre has gone may not please (it certainly displeases me), but NOT in any way, shape, or form is the genre in any kind of decline.

If this indicates a "decline" to you, you had best go back to school. You missed a class or two on basic business.

more innovation in the genre... oh wait, no...

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

The world is going to end on December 21st 2012. Now you might think this date has come and gone, but according to my theory they actually mixed up the Mayan translations. The actual date that the World will end is December 12 2021.

So enjoy your MMO's as much as you can because in 7 years, 3 months, 22 days, 14 hours, 32 minutes and 25 seconds, They Will Be No More... Muhahaha

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

It's the same way people say "There are 500 channels but nothing on." and TV may have been better when we watched the same 20 channels. Games are more and more shifting from simply trying provide high quality content to using underhanded psychology through cash shops and founders packs etc.

Market is oversaturated with mediocre to crappy games. Few games provide good long lasting experiences. Also why should the fact that a bunch of games are making money matter to you at all unless you are actually an investor in those games? 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I think any doom and gloom the genre is dieing thread without any type of numbers or research behind it is just a troll thread and should be treated as such. The conversations never go beyond " I don't like it so no one else can "

If someone actually has something new to offer that might show people really are moving away from the genre post away.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

What should we post about then if not our opinions?

If someone's post is ridiculous, it will show for that, let them post it.

If someone's post has merit, it will show for that too, let them post it.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    People are just looking for something to do while they wait for the next ArcheAge Beta to commence... 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by iridescence

Market is oversaturated with mediocre to crappy games. Few games provide good long lasting experiences. Also why should the fact that a bunch of games are making money matter to you at all unless you are actually an investor in those games? 

But many provides good (obvious subjective) SHORT experiences. Just play many of them, and you have a long lasting experience.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    MMOS are more popular than ever and has more players than ever. Misery loves company so let the doomers and gloomers do their thing. Like i said we need a sticky on general forums where they can all doom and gloom together.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I think any doom and gloom the genre is dieing thread without any type of numbers or research behind it is just a troll thread and should be treated as such. The conversations never go beyond " I don't like it so no one else can "

If someone actually has something new to offer that might show people really are moving away from the genre post away.

Bingo.

• Peajay123Peajay123 Member UncommonPosts: 30

Shouldn't people be smarter than to fork out their money on a game they might not enjoy or continue playing after a month, with all the options available to them with Youtube, twitch, reviews, friends recommendations, free trials.

If people keep paying without knowing what they are getting then aren't they to blame for the state of the market?

• IggunsIgguns Member UncommonPosts: 71
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I think people looking for a more positive forum experience should go elsewhere.

This house belongs to us!!!

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Peajay123

Shouldn't people be smarter than to fork out their money on a game they might not enjoy or continue playing after a month, with all the options available to them with Youtube, twitch, reviews, friends recommendations, free trials.

If people keep paying without knowing what they are getting then aren't they to blame for the state of the market?

who says they don't know what they are doing? May be they are having fun on games that you do not like.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I thinking people are mistaking a decline in the MMORPG population with market oversaturation.  There are a lot more games out there today and they are all competing for players.   
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Peajay123

who says they don't know what they are doing? May be they are having fun on games that you do not like.

I think the assumption people keep making is that everyone expects to play these mmos for years like they did in eq/uo People buy every new mmo because they like playing every new mmo. Only getting a month out of a $60 game isn't a big deal to people who play single player or console games regularly. 

That may not be the traditional attitude towards mmos but when you think of a game like a pokemon and you got to get them all..../shrug.

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

Instead of putting water to a flame, you've poured gasoline over it by creating this thread :).

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by laserit

The world is going to end on December 21st 2012. Now you might think this date has come and gone, but according to my theory they actually mixed up the Mayan translations. The actual date that the World will end is December 12 2021.

So enjoy your MMO's as much as you can because in 7 years, 3 months, 22 days, 14 hours, 32 minutes and 25 seconds, They Will Be No More... Muhahaha

Haha funny thing is, I thought of this.... TODAY.

No such thing as coincidence, I am dreaming and I will probably wake up in 7 years to a new world where everything is decided by games because all the players know its a dream and nobody can die and wars won't matter and everything you could ever think is instantly manifest!!!

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Doesn't really matter we all gonna die of Ebola anyway.

Doom Doom Gloom