Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backlash to Action Combat

Comments

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I don't see that much of a backlash against action combat myself, after all Tera Online was the 3rd highest grossing MMo of 2013, with number 1 being Wow and 2 being Lineage 1.

So you are saying TERA's gross is below a game that was such a flop in the west it shut down in the west years ago?

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Originally posted by Nitth

Why cant people just accept how a games made and get on with it.(or don't)

Really? Fascist much? This is the way it will be and you will like it or not! That's BS dude. 

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Iselin

People whose first computer was an Apple II. Atari 400/800 or Commodore 64 were playing CRPGs like the first Ultima 30-35 years ago - that would put them anywhere from mid 40s to mid 50s... you don't think 16 to 50 makes a difference in reflexes? 

Not really. I am 47, and I can still play Diablo 3 without any problem. Sure I can't beat 20 years old on FPSes, but we are not talking about FPS here, we are talking about action RPGs.

Hey, at least you're finally coming around to calling D3 an ARPG; which is what it is. Progress is a beautiful thing.

Yes .. D3 is an ARPG, close enough to MMO for me ... there is no conflict and no change. Didn't I always say that?

Plus, a game can be in more than one category. Otherwise, why would LoL, a MOBA, also be classified as a MMO?

Didn't I always say it doesn't matter if it's close enough for you? Not a soul cares about that but you. But, but, but, this website lists blah blah blah....yeah, they're in the process of revamping the Game's List. And how much do you think it really matters that a studio here and a studio there are slapping an MMO label on their game to help boost sales?

What you're proposing would be the death of the term MMO; which is unnecessary and whack. Why don't we do the same with ARPG, FPS, RTS, MOBA et al? Hey, how 'bout we just call everything "game". Why not call TV shows "game", movies "game", books "game". They're all forms of entertainment intended to be fun for the viewer, the audience, the reader, the gamer; this would make everything so much more convenient, right?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• RivolRivol Member UncommonPosts: 79

Because blindly accepting how a game is made can be taken as tacit approval.

I despise action combat, it should be left for console games where it belongs. What I don't want to see is this seemingly inevitable merging of PC/console games (ESO/EQN, etc) where whoever moves the mouse fastest or the most accurate wins. Tab targeting combat has proven to be far more successful than any of the action combat rpgs for very good reasons.

I prefer my mmorpgs to be more cerebral, as nature intended.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Rivol

Because blindly accepting how a game is made can be taken as tacit approval.

I despise action combat, it should be left for console games where it belongs. What I don't want to see is this seemingly inevitable merging of PC/console games (ESO/EQN, etc) where whoever moves the mouse fastest or the most accurate wins. Tab targeting combat has proven to be far more successful than any of the action combat rpgs for very good reasons.

I prefer my mmorpgs to be more cerebral, as nature intended.

Can't tell if joking or serious... :/ 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Viper482

Really? Fascist much? This is the way it will be and you will like it or not! That's BS dude. 

Holy cow, man. These are some crazy replies to a post that is suggesting the rather logical and sane approach of playing what you like and don't play what you don't like. 

Between the Get Off My PC Gaming Lawn guy and you calling him a Fascist...

Just... WOW. imageimage

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Not a huge fan of the gigantic weapons, super flashy combat, and damage numbers flying everywhere, like a arcade game in mmorpgs.   I am fine with Tab, or a mix, like TSW and some others.  Didn't like NW much.  I like to keep functionality of the mouse, and then I key bind everything else to num pad/buttons and such to make them quick.  Just my preference.

I don't need flash/cut scenes/voice stuff to hold my attention, to make it simple, if the systems are solid, that is good enough for me.

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Viper482

Holy cow, man. These are some crazy replies to a post that is suggesting the rather logical and sane approach of playing what you like and don't play what you don't like. 

Between the Get Off My PC Gaming Lawn guy and you calling him a Fascist...

Just... WOW. imageimage

Yes playing what you like is sane and logical, I can assure you I am doing that now.

My concern is that this action combat fad will become the new norm for all future AAA mmo's. Not just because I dislike it but for the more generic reasons covered in previous posts. By all means make twitch combat rpgs if companies believe there is a market for them, just not to the exclusion of the tried and true tab target.

Yes, deep down, part of me is glad Wildstar wasn't a success because that's not where I want to see all new mmo's heading (action combat/LAS). I want to see more games like Archeage

Given that WoW is still the most successful mmo today (by a lot) despite its old combat system tells me I'm not alone in my preferences.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

For many years i was a huge fan of tab target. A couple of days now i got a beta invite for WoD and i realized i cant get back to this kind of combat again. It feels a bit retarded in my eyes anymore.  Fighting a mob without moving / avoiding, or hitting a single mob in a group of mobs, while the rest of them, despite they are all around you, don't take a single hit or dmg...

I m playing WS at the moment and most of all i like the combat. I could easily also play ESO, despite i m not a fan of it, because of its combat also. But i could not go back to tab target. I was never imagined i would ever say it, but imho tab targets era is over.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by kikosforever

For many years i was a huge fan of tab target. A couple of days now i got a beta invite for WoD and i realized i cant get back to this kind of combat again. It feels a bit retarded in my eyes anymore.  Fighting a mob without moving / avoiding, or hitting a single mob in a group of mobs, while the rest of them, despite they are all around you, don't take a single hit or dmg...

I m playing WS at the moment and most of all i like the combat. I could easily also play ESO, despite i m not a fan of it, because of its combat also. But i could not go back to tab target. I was never imagined i would ever say it, but imho tab targets era is over.

I wouldn't say it's over, but it definitely needs an overhaul, or it needs to become a hybrid mixed with dodging and blocking.  I tried ArcheAge, and recently tried Swtor again, and i couldn't get back into tab-target combat either.  

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by observer

I wouldn't say it's over, but it definitely needs an overhaul, or it needs to become a hybrid mixed with dodging and blocking.  I tried ArcheAge, and recently tried Swtor again, and i couldn't get back into tab-target combat either.  

If they improve it then there is a whole new thing to comment about. But as it is now, again imho, its out of the question. And if you want my opinion it still remains alive only because of the huge player base of WoW, not because it offers anything anymore. If WoW decides to change it, then it will die instantly.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Niburu
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    Wasn't Age of Conan an action combat game before GW2? Or Tabula Rasa,Darkfall?,Mortal,Tera?

Were they?  GW2 is the game that I remember bringing action combat into the mainstream.

tera, vindictus and please dont say GW2 has action combat, it has targeted abiltiies but the core is Tab Target lol

Uh no.  Your hits will actually miss if you don't  aim correctly.  The targeting is just a crutch if you want to use it.  GW2 can also be played without targeting.  There isn't any crosshair, and that's why people like you think it's not action combat, when it actually is.

Apparently you think Tera and Vindictus are mainstream too.  That's funny, i don't remember either of them selling over 3.5 million copies, or being promoted with massive marketing hype on all the major MMO, and non-MMO websites.

God I hope your wrong.

Come to Australia and play Wildstar and try to pvp. Guarantee you would uninstall in 5 mins. One of the biggest disadvantages of action combat is if you live outside the region the servers are located you are screwed. Tab target is more forgiving.

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Action combat is here to stay and tab target, heal bar spammers better get used to it.

This is perfect example of action combat done right.

I would take Skyforge and GW 2 combat over WoW, TOR and other last gen.

And BTW there are plenty of tab target games go play them.

P.S. God Form rocks in Skyforge :D

• englaengla Member Posts: 15

I dispise tab-targeting because it doesn't give me anything. Even healing in TERA is action-based (many don't understand it before they try being healers themselves...not so easy  now, was it?) and the total chaos of it is something that keeps me doing it despice horrible parties and carrying players who come from tab-targeting games and eat every damage, face-tank and never move away from AOE.

But that was not my point. My point is that people have different temperaments. That is a well-studied psychological phenomenon. We are born with a certain temperament, and it does not change. In our core it stays, no matter how much we change or grow.

I am a quick person. I do everything fast. This is other peoples observation about me too: I walk fast, I do all my chores fast, I work fast.  So I think I tend to love games that let me REACT more than PLAN. TWS almost made me a vegetable, but as  I know many people like that ¤&%)(/) of a game very much, I will not bash it.

People with a planner-temperament, who are slow and thorough, are those who love tab-targeting and suffer from action-combat. They suffer because they can't enjoy it, it does not suite to their temperament and does not give them what they are seeking in combat.

As much some people are worried about tab-targeting disappearing, I worry about action-combat disappearing. I can take soft-targeting too, but tab-target, never. I was disappointed to tears when I realized BLESS will have tab-targeting (or so I understood).

So we need both kind of games. That was the point of person who said to accept the game as it is, and play or not to play. We should stop bashing things that are not our liking and see why others may like them, and understand that both is needed. World is not a place where others need to loose so you can get what you want.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

I find that the problem isn't just within the targetting system, but its that solo-combat in many games is about hitting your most effective offensive ability string and you let math take care of the rest for the 10 seconds combat last just to repeat it over and over.

You don't have to remove tab-target to force players to move, block, interrupt and time abilities but those requirements just don't exist in a game like WoW.

I prefer free-form target and I loved group-combat in Tera, but if they made combat far more interactive while still using tab-target I would be fine with it.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I am curious about the future of action combat and tab-targeting in MMOs.  My guess is that a lot of the recently released and currently being developed action MMOs were a direct result of GW2, which was thought by many to be a truly revolutionary game that could be a WoW-killer.  That didn't come to pass, and unless I'm mistaken, none of the other action combat MMOs subsequently released have taken the top ranking spots in the West away from tab-target games like WoW, SWTOR and FFXIV.  Am I correct in this?  If this is the case, will future developers look at the continuing success of tab-target games and go back to this format with new games?  I don't think that action combat will go away, but is there room in the future for both styles?

What backlash?  You mean the very very very small vocal minority of these forums?  Nah I ignore most anything that goes on here.  Sadly these forums have been bad for far to long.  So much bitterness.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

I feel horrible saying this especially since I liked Wildstar but secretly I am kinda glad it may be not doing well because hopefully they still make tab target games. I move about in FFXIV ARR a lot and still tab target. You have to avoid the damage telegraphs in it too but it is nowhere as crazy as Wildstar,

Tera the animation lock did me in. I disliked ESO combat because it gave me a headache more than Wildstar but GW 2 is a good game I enjoyed that one. Also TSW was okay because the combat was slow and I enjoyed Age of Conan really a lot so I just felt Wildstar was just too much. Perhaps a hybrid of tab target and action is best for me. Well here's hoping some more games are made to suit me.

I watched that video that DMKano put up on Wildstar raiding and how exhausting it looked and there is no way I can heal in that game and I was right to stop playing it although I miss the lore and I liked the art style and enjoyed my esper , I was right to give it up. 

Chamber of Chains
  • KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215

Honestly, both tab targeting and action combat  have their place in MMORPGs.

Tab targeting appeals to more to the folk who are used to classic RPGs, tabletop stuff and the like, and that's what it simulates well. Hell, it  can even be made pretty entertaining for the action-loving people as well.

On the other hand, action combat has it's place in games like Darkfall.

So really, I think and hope they've both got a future. Personally I prefer tab targeting though.

• aldav991aldav991 Member Posts: 5
    It may not have taken a spot from the big-name greats, but it's a step in the right direction. Tab-targetting is not necessarily bad and it can stay, but some games have to deviate from it to keep the genre in general fresh.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    Doesn't matter what combat system a game uses... nobody is going to play any of the new games for more than a month before switching games.  They don't care to spend all their time playing one game anymore.

Not really. Depend on game.

I already know from past experience I will stick with WOD for at least good half year (and will return many times for few months at a time before next expansion is released). Same with Swtor. Same or very close to with Rift.

Left ARR before month for other reasons, left Wildstar and TSW after about 2 months for sole reason of that dumb limited 1 active toolbar decision.

I return from time to time to AoC, CO, Lotro, ... but here I agree with you, they are no longer able to keep me in more then 1 month or so.

Btw, do not confuse ACTION combat with tab targeting ABSENCE.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I am curious about the future of action combat and tab-targeting in MMOs.  My guess is that a lot of the recently released and currently being developed action MMOs were a direct result of GW2, which was thought by many to be a truly revolutionary game that could be a WoW-killer.  That didn't come to pass, and unless I'm mistaken, none of the other action combat MMOs subsequently released have taken the top ranking spots in the West away from tab-target games like WoW, SWTOR and FFXIV.  Am I correct in this?  If this is the case, will future developers look at the continuing success of tab-target games and go back to this format with new games?  I don't think that action combat will go away, but is there room in the future for both styles?

I fully believe that there is.

Action combat is fun in other games, but it brings a shed load of negatives to the mix with MMORPGs, mostly having to to do with socialisation.

Generally, action combat is for games that are a sprint, many players of MMORPGs enjoy these games as a marathon, to which tab combat is more suited.

All this received wisdom of a style being 'outdated' is nonsense. Tab target isn't going anywhere. They are both equally valid, and choice is good.

Originally posted by aldav991
    It may not have taken a spot from the big-name greats, but it's a step in the right direction. 

According to whom? 

I feel, in the main, that the same people that call for action games are more or less the same people that call for forced PvP to be the focus of every game, despite it being proven that the majority do not want forced PvP, as they do not want action combat.

It's good to have action and forced PvP games around, but it drives me a bit nuts when you hear the same old voices (not talking about Aldav991 here) demanding that their way is the 'right' way and any other style is wrong because it's 'carebear' or 'outdated', or whatever else.

Originally posted by azzamasin

What backlash?  You mean the very very very small vocal minority of these forums?  Nah I ignore most anything that goes on here.  Sadly these forums have been bad for far to long.  So much bitterness.

Then why add to that bitterness?

Be the change ;)

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Vesavius

I fully believe that there is.

Action combat is fun in other games, but it brings a shed load of negatives to the mix with MMORPGs, mostly having to to do with socialisation.

Generally, action combat is for games that are a sprint, many players of MMORPGs enjoy these games as a marathon, to which tab combat is more suited.

All this received wisdom of a style being 'outdated' is nonsense. Tab target isn't going anywhere. They are both equally valid, and choice is good.

I don't agree that there is any difference between socialization in tab target or action combat.  Games can be slower paced and be action combat.  

I think action true aim MMO's are less popular as there is a larger gap in skill between the top and the bottom.  There is almost no chance that someone in the lower skill level will beat a higher skilled player in Darkfall.  People don't like being slaughtered with no hope.  I love the game and I'm a lower level PvP person, but I can see how most would get killed 25 times in a row (in 1 vs 1 situations) and never go back.  In tab target games I have a much higher chance of getting a kill as a lower tier PvPer.