Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The REAL reason why WoW is still #1

TheRealBanangoTheRealBanango Member UncommonPosts: 89

PLAYER VERSUS PLAYER.

and I do mean that. take a look at this for at least 2 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS6oojD8Km4

competition is human nature. It's a sport, some people prefer to play that in a virtual world.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Are you saying WoW's unique in having PVP? I'm not watching some 30 minute video just to try to figure out your argument.

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

The reason why is WoW had built up such a huge base to begin with that it is taking time to lose that base, but they have lost at least 1/2 their players in the past few years.

So it is only a matter of time before some other mmo does get the number player slot.

• FIXTHECAMERAFIXTHECAMERA Member Posts: 55

You don't know how right you truly are. That is 100% the reason why WoW is still number one, however it goes over everyone's head. Especially on a roleplay-ish website like this, I doubt anyone in this entire thread will agree with you besides me. Most people here aren't actually playing WoW and consider it a poison to the mmorpg genre, which it is to be honest, as an "mmorpg", it's horrible in terms of progression and freedom, it's a linear quest grinder with no sense of wonder or exploration, but what do people say while leveling up? "I can't wait to get into pvp", or raiding, etc. The competition is the driving mindset that gives this game any value. Many games have made wow clones and slapped a few classes together with fancy sounding spells that have no real flow, so in PvP things really just don't work, it's basically two people spamming dps spells at each other until the other's health bar goes down. This is NOT WoW, and anyone who's played arena or dueled for more than 30 minutes and have taken the time to read the synergy and counters of the spells and classes, will no doubt agree with me.

Most players, even though they're not the best at PvP, all have a drive to become the best or to invest time in a game where competition is valuable, (there's a reason MOBA is the most popular genre in the world, the combat is a worse, less interactive version of WoW but that's what the masses hold as "competitive" for the time being) albeit WoW's PvP has been dumbed down very much over the years, but still, compared to anything else that's out there it's still the most responsive, complex, mobile combat system there is. I find it comical that people call Tera "action combat" and WoW "stand still tab targeting", I can't blame them for hating on wow. In Tera, you can't avoid animation locks even by running around, or talking to an NPC, the game engine is terrible and so is the combat, it's clunky, slow paced and animation locked, but because it has no "tab target" it's considered innovative, if anything it's a huge step back in the genre, to me that's years behind WoW.

Look at WoW's camera control, fluidity, movement, responsiveness, bug free game play and combat, in fact, it's probably the most responsive game I've played in my life, yes, overall game, not even just mmorpg's. People don't realise what makes it feel so "right".

I wish developers would start understanding this is the entire foundation of WoW's success and STOP trying to make WoW clones, because the actual themepark design of it is painfully boring, if WoW had a clunky camera with stand still combat and spells that are only made to sound cool. I GUARANTEE you, it would be nothing like it is today, and has been.

Maybe one day someone will figure this out. Oh well. The people who disagree with this haven't played WoW at a competitive level and have somehow found enjoyment out of it being an "mmorpg", it confuses me how that's possible, I don't even know who thought themeparks would be a good idea, in what world have they ever been entertaining? There's a reason people are virtually BEGGING for something new. It was outdated and boring to begin with.

Perhaps WoW should of been more of a lobby based PvP game with instanced raids and bosses, instead of an entire shallow world you have to quest grind in zoned off by mountains and linear progression, yuck.

This is the answer to a successful mmorpg, the spirit of competition, themepark OR sandbox(even better). Actually designing a proper flow of spells that people can have a drive to compete with, I practically just typed gold for any game developer, it's a shame I'm a minority that won't be heard, along with the few people who have enough self awareness to know what makes a game good.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

WoW was #1 because it was a cartoony mindless easy-mode mmorpg that any 7 year old can play, ya? Compared to the complex mmos from before that time that is.
    After that everyone tried to make dumbed down easy-mode mmo's of the same nature and the mmo genre suddenly became crap.. That is the real reason there are many haters heh

It's like a go-cart vs nascar or formula 1 racing.. sure it it crap but anyone can do it

There were better pvp mmos than WoW before and after, but they didnt make the cut as far as popularity goes

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by FIXTHECAMERA

You don't know how right you truly are. That is 100% the reason why WoW is still number one, however it goes over everyone's head. Especially on a roleplay-ish website like this, I doubt anyone in this entire thread will agree with you besides me. Most people here aren't actually playing WoW and consider it a poison to the mmorpg genre, which it is to be honest, as an "mmorpg", it's horrible in terms of progression and freedom, it's a linear quest grinder with no sense of wonder or exploration, but what do people say while leveling up? "I can't wait to get into pvp", or raiding, etc. The competition is the driving mindset that gives this game any value. Many games have made wow clones and slapped a few classes together with fancy sounding spells that have no real flow, so in PvP things really just don't work, it's basically two people spamming dps spells at each other until the other's health bar goes down. This is NOT WoW, and anyone who's played arena or dueled for more than 30 minutes and have taken the time to read the synergy and counters of the spells and classes, will no doubt agree with me.

Most players, even though they're not the best at PvP, all have a drive to become the best or to invest time in a game where competition is valuable, (there's a reason MOBA is the most popular genre in the world, the combat is a worse, less interactive version of WoW but that's what the masses hold as "competitive" for the time being) albeit WoW's PvP has been dumbed down very much over the years, but still, compared to anything else that's out there it's still the most responsive, complex, mobile combat system there is. I find it comical that people call Tera "action combat" and WoW "stand still tab targeting", I can't blame them for hating on wow. In Tera, you can't avoid animation locks even by running around, or talking to an NPC, the game engine is terrible and so is the combat, it's clunky, slow paced and animation locked, but because it has no "tab target" it's considered innovative, if anything it's a huge step back in the genre, to me that's years behind WoW.

Look at WoW's camera control, fluidity, movement, responsiveness, bug free game play and combat, in fact, it's probably the most responsive game I've played in my life, yes, overall game, not even just mmorpg's. People don't realise what makes it feel so "right".

I wish developers would start understanding this is the entire foundation of WoW's success and STOP trying to make WoW clones, because the actual themepark design of it is painfully boring, if WoW had a clunky camera with stand still combat and spells that are only made to sound cool. I GUARANTEE you, it would be nothing like it is today, and has been.

Maybe one day someone will figure this out. Oh well. The people who disagree with this haven't played WoW at a competitive level and have somehow found enjoyment out of it being an "mmorpg", it confuses me how that's possible, I don't even know who thought themeparks would be a good idea, in what world have they ever been entertaining? There's a reason people are virtually BEGGING for something new. It was outdated and boring to begin with.

Perhaps WoW should of been more of a lobby based PvP game with instanced raids and bosses, instead of an entire shallow world you have to quest grind in zoned off by mountains and linear progression, yuck.

This is the answer to a successful mmorpg, the spirit of competition, themepark OR sandbox(even better). Actually designing a proper flow of spells that people can have a drive to compete with, I practically just typed gold for any game developer, it's a shame I'm a minority that won't be heard, along with the few people who have enough self awareness to know what makes a game good.

Your color scheme guarantees many will not read that.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by bliss14

that and he agreed with the op.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by DamonVile

that and he agreed with the op.

Ah ha!!  You read it! 

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

You don't know how right you truly are. That is 100% the reason why WoW is still number one, however it goes over everyone's head. Especially on a roleplay-ish website like this, I doubt anyone in this entire thread will agree with you besides me. ....

I read the first 2 sentences then scrolled away.  The color and length killed it for me.  I agree with others that there have been better pvp mmos out both before & after wow.

• JoeyjojoshabaduJoeyjojoshabadu Member UncommonPosts: 162

It's like the Jewish parable of the blind men trying to identify an elephant. One touches its tail and says "it's because of the PvP", one (wearing a trilby) touches the trunk and says "it's because it's so easy and mainstream and I'm too cool for that", another touches its legs and says "it's because it had a head-start". And so on. In reality the reason for WOW's success is all these things and more and focusing on just one means you misrepresent the issue by only seeing that part, while missing the 'elephant'.

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310

WoWs PVP is huge. Getting paid to play is the Ultimate goal of any true gamer. WoW has a huge following which allows for players to get paid more for being good.

The PvP in WoW is so fined tuned that it brings so much competition. 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Wow is popular because it has been endorsed by hundreds of celebrities and shows for years....hell I even joined wow when I saw the chuck norris endorsement. That's all.
  • dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

a solution is simple let them who loves wow play it those who dont play something else and then agree to disagree :)

i think wow got big mostly due to the warcraft lore at a time and also due to that there werent as many mmos in its genre

at that time to choose from :)

• chondro69chondro69 Member CommonPosts: 53
    I play or have played almost every single AAA mmo since WoW and couldn't agree more with OP.  I don't play WoW anymore but  the pvp ( world pvp ) is something I miss very much.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

WoW probably does handle PVP fairly well, at least in as much as it is almost entirely seperate from the rest of the game and is entirely voluntary, having said that, the majority of the game is clearly PVE focused.

The PVP is really little more than a 'minigame' but done in such a way that those that are at least 'semi' interested in PVP can participate without too many issues. The majority of the game is really based around Dungeons, which are probably more accessible these days than they ever have been, not to be confused with raiding though, which in a sense is about as popular as the PVP but for different reasons. In a sense, the only thing that has kept  PVP and to a certain extent the high end raiding alive, is the cross server 'merging' of battlegrounds, raid dungeons etc.  PVP especially needs the cross server access to keep numbers up. image

WoW's PvP is not really that innovative, but its easily accessible for those that are interested in it, and even for those that arent all that bothered about it. But WoW's #1 status is really down to the PVE experience and to a degree, inertia. image

• EridanixEridanix Member Posts: 426

I'm s straight person and don't want to be unclear with all these problem. I was about to write another Jewish parable that will bring light to all these discussion but something happened to my browser and a good parable dissapeared when it was almost done. *Things happen*. And I will say my part. I have only played Wow for the trial. It was not for me. Really; it was well-designed, smooth working, the stories behind some quests were even different and brilliant; I thought there was intelligence behind the game, but simply, it didn't cater to me, so I left.  With my reasons. A good game in full shape, working on all its potential and with some witty ideas that as a gamer I could appreciate, but knowing that it was not for my gameplay-style.

By that time, all my friends have moved into WoW, and I had no one real life friend to play with, in MMORPG's. Even my friends who never have played mmo's before were playing WoW.

Well, I took note that the world was turning the opposite direction I was moving to. But I found other games that fitted better to me and nothing happened, but, men, WoW in some months was really Huge. Not only that. It was the Thing, the Fashion and the Shock you cannot miss. You understand me. 

So that, when I met with my friends to have some booze and talk s*it about this and that, we were just having  cool moments after a hard work day. But the Thing was there. Aftter some questions about life and gals they started a whimsical moment when  they were specially happy and relaxed, and I saw illussion and I felt somewhat happy: it was the hour to start talking on WoW.  Oh, my fellowmen. I was there standing or sitting and listening to them, and all the stories that they ñpured without limitations were a matter of joy, or jokes or both, but it was a my friends' thing. so even though I was tore appart because I didn't like playing WoW I've been always an outstanding listener, so that, even when I was not touching WoW I was learning a lot of things about the game.   Well, I don't know if some ma'am is reading this - if you are a sensible soul you should stop reading at this point, warned you are, now, I follow -. You guys know pretty well how this friends gatherings work. They are almost the best moment of the week, when you can sit with your friends and talk about everything. And you know that these situations tend to be an important, unreplaceable part of our life. Well, with being so, and not wanted being to be a badass, I was listening about WoW every Friday night.  The point was that when they bloated themselves for something I considered really stupid I told them my opinion, that in person is always very clear and loud expressed. And they told me: Erid, you are a MetalFreak wearing such inverted silver cross that is little but in this pub with this light look so stupid... and we don't say, and never will that  you are stupid because of this piece of crap you wear as a necklace, true?- and I said: True. And then the thing started again and I was missing some very specialized points but was able to understand the most they said about it. It was plain and simple. Good game - not for me playing it but for others whom I appreciate as good and intelligent guys - and good ambient. All around.

Two years or so after that day, and I  have put the jewish parable there without realising, I asked them: Hey, guys, today I'm a little bit tired but tell me, how is WoW going on? and they smiled and told me that some of them left the game and others join different games and that the core of their guild was still in WoW. And then a devilish question came to my normally devilish mind and told this:  but there are lot of new games which kick WoW ass in the middle, why don't you try anything new? Even this strange people, the koreans, are able to design games in this terrible times... so, why don't give up and change? And then they told me: You come here every Friday and listen to us talking about WoW and now about another games, but we still think WoW is better. -Better I have a drink-: I said, and went for one, when i turned to the table they pointed a glass and explained to me something I will NEVER forget. And when I say Never, it means exactly this.

Listen, little monster in black: That is truely certain that you hit us if we start discussing about MMORPG's in general. Your evil mind inside a good guy beat us in this field, but admit that you don't play WoW but enjoy our stories about it so much as we do. I said: Yes. It's one of the week top moments for me. For us too -they said.  And then some light came to my mind. Well, it was TRUE and without realising it this game have been part of my life even not playing it! Not  playing it at all!

And that night, when we were going home and farewell, I said to them: you guildies will never leave WoW, right? and they told me: You know the answer. We then jumped to other topics and laughed for a while. After that, I went home and slept like a child.

This has happened to me and I've been aware of being respectful to the detail as other actual people have been involved in my story. 

So that is the reason WoW is still #1 even if I like or dislike it. That's all, and thank you.

And I used space bar reasonably, but sorry for the wall of text. 

It is a question of fangs.

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    The Real reason is timing imo.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• KissThaRingKissThaRing Member UncommonPosts: 78

The OP does make a good point, the pvp in WoW from what I hear is the best in the business.

However, WoW also succedds because the engine that actually drives the car is well built. WAY too many MMO's come out advertising all this content and whatnot, but the actual gameplay is clunky and unpolished, with bad camera movement, bad physics (or none period) horrendous UI, no chat bubbles (a recent trend I hate) and just laggy/glitchy gameplay.

I enjoy undercutting people in the market place - it's the only PvP a crafter gets.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    The real reason are its easymode lobby game that you can play on your grandmas 15 years old PC.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• serialMMOistserialMMOist Member Posts: 88

Its because Its still is the most complete themepark game and people are invested in it. 

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

WOW #1?

Some ppl like Justin Bieber too, doesn't say he's any good, just how many dumb ppl there are in the world.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    If you are into PVP as a competitive sport WOW excels in this area.

If you are looking for PVP that matters, or has consequences for failure, it falls woefully short.

Most people prefer the former to the latter, hence the popularity of not only WOW, but most other games such as MOBAS.

That's the difference really, most like to play fair and competitive games, while some of us want to win the war.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

No idea about the PvP aspect (never was into it much), but you are certainly right about the above. WoW's moment to moment, (and meta) gameplay just works. It's smooth, it's intuitive, it has fair bit of depth for those who want to dig (or at least back in BC and to a lesser extent WoTLK, no idea since), and it's basically the one thing that every other theme park since has failed to copy.

FFXIV:ARR is about the closest I've found so far (and to me is superior in a lot of ways; like I said, not into PvP), but even it feels a bit clunky at times. Rift and WIldstar have been decent attempts, but Rift burned too quickly, and Wildstar's low levels are just painful (it also try's way too hard to be 'cool').

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308

Was in the right place at the right time, with no competition, and it was mostly everyones first mmo, so they stay/ keep going back to it

/thread