Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is how Massive and Full of Life a City in a "Modern MMO" and future should be

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izoa3d3rMYs - Im using AC Unity as an example.

Black Desert seems to be the only one in the foreseeable future that seems to be heading that direction.  Cities should be more than just hubs, it should be its own zone like any other zone filled with its own kind missions and adventures, hell even PvP in back alleys and gang territories.

Comments

• scioccosciocco Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Black Desert seems to be the only one in the foreseeable future that seems to be heading that direction.  Cities should be more than just hubs, it should be its own zone like any other zone filled with its own kind missions and adventures, hell even PvP in back alleys and gang territories.

I agree, i don't know why they make cities so tiny in some games. Towns are tiny too. I want bigger cities and bigger worlds, probably goes hand-in-hand.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

It is tougher in an MMO than a single player game, or one that can have up to 4 players in the game, like Assassin's Creed Unity. I do like the feel of the city, though. They claim up to 1000 NPCs with separate AIs that can respond differently to the player's actions.

It looks good, from what I saw.

IGN also had a piece on AC Unity's microtransactions. From that piece:
    "It's unclear at this time exactly how the system will work, but early reports claim that gear can be unlocked in exchange for money, allowing players to obtain items faster than they would through regular play."

That does not sound too bad, so far. Money just speeds up a player's "beating the game." I may have to keep an eye on this one:
    - "It is set to release worldwide on October 28, 2014 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One."

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    That would be nice.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by sciocco

I agree, i don't know why they make cities so tiny in some games. Towns are tiny too. I want bigger cities and bigger worlds, probably goes hand-in-hand.

You could have a huge MMO that was just a single city.

• natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    some mmos have done this ie wow with ironforge which is huge but no one cares to use anymore or gw2 the main city is huge and very well done,also war no longer with us but the citys were very big but was always empty,i agree with op but ppl just want lobby shit now.
  • VigilianceVigiliance Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Originally posted by natpick
    some mmos have done this ie wow with ironforge which is huge but no one cares to use anymore or gw2 the main city is huge and very well done,also war no longer with us but the citys were very big but was always empty,i agree with op but ppl just want lobby shit now.

I think thats because despite being big... they really didn't add anything unique to the city. There were no unique fun gameplay element in any of the cities so the smallest/compact and travel friendly cities became the capitols but yes most capitol cities in MMO's are nothing but trade hubs with a few conveniences thrown in.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Divinity's Reach in GW2 is the most impressive city I have ever seen in an MMO yet nobody goes there and there is no point to go there at all.
  • ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

I am really looking forward to seeing what can be done in Everquest Next. Between the ability to have absolutely massive cities and Storybricks to populate the whole thing, I think it will be a unique experience.

Originally posted by natpick

Guild Wars 2's large cities is the biggest waste of potential.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

a) mmo != coop or SP games

b) no one mentioned watchdogs? pffff

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• BoltharBolthar Member Posts: 62

It is not at all a hard thing to do. They have had many cities that have a ton of interest but the problem is people are going away from the things that make cities interesting. MMOs these days cities have the same items from city to city they have the same trainers, they have the same so on and so on. 

What cities should have.

Factions - You have cities that have multiple factions and thus when two of different factions come into the vicinity a fight starts. If you are not of the cities faction you can't go in.

Trainers have different training items. I LOVED how in EQ if you got to a level you had to travel to a new city to get the spell and not all spells were sold at the same cities. This is more in line with how it really is if I go to become a cop in New York do I get the same training as when I go to become a cop in Florida? Maybe the basics but not on all procedures.

You should have it where your influence affects the cost if not a ton at least a little. Like a rep system. (EQ had this linked in with Faction but a separate system may even make it better).

You should be able to influence city economics based on supply caravans. It would be great if the cities had X number of caravans a day and if those caravans didn't get to the city this would then affect the city economically and what it has to offer. it would be great to see items on vendors appear and disappear from time to time. If I go to a TV store and everyone bought the TV I want then I would have to wait wouldn't I?

I would LOVE to see cities even change factions and reps on a rather limited basis.

Cities should be static in location only.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by sciocco

I wouldn't mind big towns if they served a purpose. Most are just huge to be huge, especially the hub towns, as they double down on stupidity by using gameplay forcing everyone to a single town and then have to turn the damn thing into a labyrinth just to handle the load in both net traffic and client performance. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

Achaea does the "factional city" pretty good, with player-driven politics running most stuff. City guards are NPCs but they're not like brutally OP, a group of high-level players can wipe out a stack of guards. Siege warfare is also pretty common.

If more MMOs introduce faction-based cities that are more than just quest hubs, they should make them more player-driven as well.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Ergload

Achaea does the "factional city" pretty good, with player-driven politics running most stuff. City guards are NPCs but they're not like brutally OP, a group of high-level players can wipe out a stack of guards. Siege warfare is also pretty common.

If more MMOs introduce faction-based cities that are more than just quest hubs, they should make them more player-driven as well.

That's far easier to do in a text-based MUD than an MMO, but I agree it would be nice to see that kind of stuff in more MMOs. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre