Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN "Alpha Testing" could get pricey looking at the current trends and huge interest

VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234

With the increasing acceptance of high dollar founders packs coupled with the huge public interest EQN has garnered, I have a terrible feeling that the cost to "alpha" test this game could be pricey. SoE has successfully garnered tons of interest and the field seems to be ripe for big time profits on this one. 

Will SoE keep a low price point to "alpha test" EQN or will they take advantage of the hype and charge big bucks?

I'm not sure my wallet is ready for what I think the answer will be. What do you think?

Comments

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

It will be comparable to Landmark.  Probably somewhere in the $19.99 ballpark for basic access. 

Archeage had pretty atrocious pricing for their testing access, but I think SOE will keep the prices at or near Landmark testing pricing.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• Burdoc101Burdoc101 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by VicDynamo

With the increasing acceptance of high dollar founders packs coupled with the huge public interest EQN has garnered, I have a terrible feeling that the cost to "alpha" test this game could be pricey. SoE has successfully garnered tons of interest and the field seems to be ripe for big time profits on this one. 

Will SoE keep a low price point to "alpha test" EQN or will they take advantage of the hype and charge big bucks?

I'm not sure my wallet is ready for what I think the answer will be. What do you think?

I look to what they charged for Landmark as a starting point. I could see up to $150.00 to $200.00; maybe too ridiculous. 

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Gallus85

It will be comparable to Landmark.  Probably somewhere in the $19.99 ballpark for basic access. 

Archeage had pretty atrocious pricing for their testing access, but I think SOE will keep the prices at or near Landmark testing pricing.

im guessing you are wrong, they can get away with the price of archeage and why they would only charge 20 buck if they can charge 200 buck? im guessing 100-200$ for access with ultimate acess for fool at 300$

they will go higher, why ? because they can

• ExiledTyrantExiledTyrant Member UncommonPosts: 69
    As long as it doesn't hit Pathfinders' $1000 price point it should be fine. Today's beta trends aren't that big of a deal though. Keep up with the forums and make sure your signed up with their main site. If you've been a customer for awhile you'll probably get a better shot as well. I've  tested everyone of Trion's games without having to pay a cent.  Part of it is building up a portfolio and being able to sift through the important info. You do the right things and you'll get loads of invites. Just not as fast as someone who's throwing money in the Devs face.

"Do not speak to me of fate!" ~ A fairy tale for the Demon Lord

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Doesn't matter to me, I'll buy what ever I need to get Alpha acess.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

Thinking the same. Prices where £13 for CB, £37 for cb/alpha, then £74 for head start and other random vanity stuff. It would be wise for them to use the same pricing, trying to increase it would defo raise eyebrows.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Doesn't matter to me,so far I haven't seen anything worth any premium price.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• derekashderekash Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I thought Landmark was the Alpha test for EQN?
  • VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by derekash

They've been clear that Landmark is a different game, a different purchase.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    They will price it based on the number of players they need alpha testing it.
  • evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    I'd drop $200+ on EQNext alpha and not even bat an eyelash.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    At around 300 dollars plus and gamers will be tripping over each other to test the game for them.  Open those wallets!
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Probably $150 minimum.
  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

My guess is that it will be similar to Landmark's pricing. The highest tier might go up to $200. I'm still hoping for a boxed version of the game. It is extremely rare to see F2P games offer a boxed special edition, but it has happened in the past. If it does happen then I could see the price go up to $300.

We'll just have to wait and see!

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

I'd keep the same prices or only bump them a little if I was SOE. See where all those F2P haters are at and if they'll put their money where their mouth is. Obviously fans will pay crazy prices, but unless they really need the money, no reason to make the entrance fee too high. 

Unless the perks are amazing to me, I'll still go the cheapest route to gain access. Game will be F2P so I accept with supply and demand, the price might be a little crazy for an EA or Alpha/Beta, but I'm fine with that.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

Ya, anyone who thinks EQN closed alpha basic founder key exceeding anything past $49.99 is out of their mind.  I wouldn't say $49.99 for basic access is completely out of the question because Archeage charged that much, so it's not unheard of.  But if I was going to put a bet on it for real money, I'd bet nearly the exact same pricing as Landmark.

But these "$200 - $300 for basic pack to get in" comments are not even close to a realistic guess.  Especially since Landmarks biggest, most premium founder pack was $99.99, with the basic access and little trinkets at $19.99 lol.

Even if they increased it by +50% across the board, EQN basic access would still be $29.99 and their premium pack at $150 lol.

$300 just to get it in lol.  Come on now.... (Even though I'd pay it lol).

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Doesn't matter to me,so far I haven't seen anything worth any premium price.

You and I both..  I"m not even all that excited about F2P..  The combat is a big turn off to me right now..  There are a few games I tolerate twitch action combat, but not sure about EQN joining that list.. 

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by VicDynamo
    Originally posted by derekash

They've been clear that Landmark is a different game, a different purchase.

It doesn't mean that Landmark can't be taken for EQNext Alpha test though...which means that EQNext could only have a closed beta and not alpha.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I love how this "how much will people pay for Alpha access?" is discussed in actual "calm" tones.

It doesn't seem too long ago that people would be raging if they'd spent $50 on what they felt was a "pay-to-play Beta". 

Now people are asking if $200 is "too high" to pay for an Alpha.

It's like developers use players' "outrage" as a roadmap of where they should go next. "Oh, they're complaining about paying to Beta? Okay, then they'd probably be willing to pay even more for Alpha... Do it".

They must be laughing their asses off at all these people who scream and yell and complain on forums, while opening their wallets so they don't "miss out". 

And then people will still complain about a $14 monthly sub fee as "not being worth it". /facepalm

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by RPGMASTERGAMER

im guessing you are wrong, they can get away with the price of archeage and why they would only charge 20 buck if they can charge 200 buck? im guessing 100-200$ for access with ultimate acess for fool at 300$

they will go higher, why ? because they can

But they can't. Having crazy pre-sale packages simply alienates your core players, the people who will actually spend money to play your game on a long-term, ongoing basis. I'm not saying they won't have higher-priced packages, because whale tastes great! but you can't have a pricing model that isn't accessible to your core audience. Unfortunately it sets a bad precedent for the entire game, imo. It's kinda like Eternal Crusade, for me, I was excited about the game, but when they came out with their pre-sale packages and saw that they were actually already monetizing people by selling items....... pre-sale! I didn't bite. I think it cheapens it and kinda plays into that negative F2P stigma that's already there. Especially when you tag the weapons as "Limited Edition" and stuff like that. 

I think Sony will be smarter and will appeal to their entire fan base instead of just the core group of players who will spend triple digits to play it before it's release..... and have all their data wiped and have to start all over again. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    What is the big deal people with money want to spend it on the hobby they love . What me worry I won't buy it unless its cheap.
    Chamber of Chains
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

I'd pay $0 to test EQNot.  If I wanted to play a a ESO again I would... if I wanted childish WoW graphics I would play WoW.

Game is too 5 year old friendly.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by cheyane
    What is the big deal people with money want to spend it on the hobby they love .

agree -- a dozen gamers paid $1000.00 to get into the Pathfinder alpha

follow your bliss

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by DMKano

The pricing on Founder's pack will be higher than Landmark IMO.

Bottom line - pricing is determined by market research - whatever report SoE gets back as far as "the sweet spot" - that's the prices they'll set it to.

If you set it too low - too many players, means you need a ton of Alpha server hardware - which cuts into profits

Too high a price - low sales - few players - again profit loss.

You want to set the price as high as you can and still get a LOT of purchases.

The pricing decisions for a project of this size are not made up on the fly - paying $50K for proper market research price point is what they will do.

I can see $50 beta access, $150 alpha access easily

Sounds about right.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • kalimar42kalimar42 Member Posts: 19
    Have  you people fucking gone MAD!!!. image    What the hell has happen to the gaming world??? image    I cannot believe you idiots would pay to play a ALPHA. image   Gaming has become a fucking joke.   These asshole game companies should be paying us to try out the fucking piece of shit game that it probably is.  OMG I need a drink.  image image