Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF F2P MMO. Solo friendly. Cool classes. No quest grinding. Mob/dungeon grinding instead.

MuckbeastMuckbeast Member UncommonPosts: 44

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a f2p mmo that is:

1. Solo friendly
  2. Has fun, cool classes with neat abilities.
  3. No quest grinding. I don't want to stare at a quest log and chase after NPCs with ? and ! over their heads.
  4. Mob grinding and dungeon grinding is cool - especially if you can do dungeons solo. 

The game should also have a decent level of support, polish, UI, and keybind control. A lot of the "grinder" mmos tend to have poor UIs, don't let you change keybinds, and stuff like that. I don't want to waste time on one of those.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Comments

• AtlasynAtlasyn Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Have you tried Vindictus? Seems like it has everything you're looking for, for the most part.
  • sn072856sn072856 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Second life.    become a serial killer... take out all your neighbors....

I have a life, its just different from yours.....

• MuckbeastMuckbeast Member UncommonPosts: 44

Originally posted by Atlasyn
    Have you tried Vindictus? Seems like it has everything you're looking for, for the most part.

Yeah. I played it a year ago. I seem to recall the UI being pretty klunky and the gear being weird and overly complex. I also seem to remember random people getting grouped with me even when I didn't want to?

Originally posted by sn072856
    Second life.    become a serial killer... take out all your neighbors....

Uh... no. :P

Originally posted by Muckbeast

Originally posted by Atlasyn

Yeah. I played it a year ago. I seem to recall the UI being pretty klunky and the gear being weird and overly complex. I also seem to remember random people getting grouped with me even when I didn't want to?

Just went to download it. Even the installer is kinda low quality. PWE, Nexon, etc. are big companies. I don't understand why their code and their clients are so unpolished and klunky feeling.

I mean the installer wanted to install the game to my desktop. Not a desktop icon, install the whole game to the desktop. That's terrible file organization and sloppy.

• sn072856sn072856 Member UncommonPosts: 56

why not..

a couple serial killers ruining through the neighborhood might be the best thing that ever happened to second life...

I have a life, its just different from yours.....

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310

LOTRO?

The game is very solo friendly, you can solo most places at higher levels.

The quests are not mandatory really and grinding mobs get you turbine points which you can buy expansions with as well as different unlocks.

The classes are also interesting, at least to me, they feel different than most other games.

Originally posted by TankYou88

LOTRO?

The game is very solo friendly, you can solo most places at higher levels.

The quests are not mandatory really and grinding mobs get you turbine points which you can buy expansions with as well as different unlocks.

The classes are also interesting, at least to me, they feel different than most other games.

Not a bad suggestion. I actually own all the expansions and have 1 or 2 max characters there. I think it is a bit quest grindy though and unfortunately I've pretty much played it out. :(

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Bah!!

Those are a dime a dozen.  You can play any MMO like that today.

If you need help there, you aren't even really trying.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Bah!!

That's what I was thinking. You have that option on pretty much every modern MMO.

On SWTOR there's also people who run flashpoints through the groupfinder over and over again to level up their latest alt.

The only exception I can think of is GW2... but... it's not really quests... though I suppose running from one heart to the next would be just as boring for the OP.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    DDO fulfills all of this apart from the solo-friendly part.  
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Bah!!

That's what I was thinking. You have that option on pretty much every modern MMO.

On SWTOR there's also people who run flashpoints through the groupfinder over and over again to level up their latest alt.

The only exception I can think of is GW2... but... it's not really quests... though I suppose running from one heart to the next would be just as boring for the OP.

Not at all. Most MMOs are total quest grinds. If you want gear or if you want to earn xp at any decent rate, you gotta do the quests. 

Leveling up alts in groupfinder is great when you're a pro at the game and know how to get/craft all the gear. 

Also, almost every MMO you have to go full group if you want to do any "dungeon" type content.

So no, you cannot play "any MMO" like this.

Originally posted by PioneerStew
    DDO fulfills all of this apart from the solo-friendly part.  

Unfortunately it has to be solo friendly. :(

LotRO was a pretty good example of an MMO that fit the bill, but I have already played that to death.

City of Heroes is another good example of an MMO that fits these criterion, but of course it has been shut down. :(

Bah!!

Not at all. Most MMOs are total quest grinds. If you want gear or if you want to earn xp at any decent rate, you gotta do the quests. 

Leveling up alts in groupfinder is great when you're a pro at the game and know how to get/craft all the gear. 

Also, almost every MMO you have to go full group if you want to do any "dungeon" type content.

Fair enough. You do need to have a way to stay geared to do dungeons. I know SWTOR's got a "bolster" mechanic for their newest 15-55 flashpoint (which is what most people run over and over again if they want to level an alt through the GF), but I don't know how well it compensates for a lack of gear.

You could try GW2. You'll find most of the stuff you need to gear up, and the primary way of leveling is running around and killing stuff. You can either go to the locations on the map that have "hearts" to signify you can do something there, and start killing mobs - or you can go to the nearest event (which are constantly happening) and start participating.

No need to run quests or read stuff. Dungeons don't start until a later level though, and they're group content like on most MMO's.

Learning a crafting skill would probably be beneficial too, but you can always snatch the upgrades you didn't find off of the auction house if you prefer that over making them. (and the game isn't F2P, it's B2P)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

SWTOR is good and most MMOs randomly group you with their tools for group content so it pretty much covers quite a few games. I think you can also mob grind in Everquest  2. SWTOR you can even solo group content like heroic 4 with a healing class and companion. Sage,sorcerer,operative,commando and counterparts are examples.

You could try Wildstar and use Credd and not pay for a sub. Just buy cred with plat.

Tera and Aion also come to mind.

• namisalced0namisalced0 Member CommonPosts: 14

Bah!!

Have you seen Firefall? You have to go quest grind for the early levels, think of it as an extended tutorial, but once the story missions come up, you can grind that all you want, repeatable but they're actually like battlegrounds in WoW that earn you EXP. The classes are tailored more to FPS roles (there's an Engineer class), but some can solo the content with a lil maneuvering.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Lineage 1, if you live in South Korea.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Check out Firefall pretty solo friendly and it hardly has any quests.

Tried Firefall late beta. That game seemed horrible.

WildStar is a $50-60 box price, no? I'd prefer F2P. I think $50-60 is an expensive gamble on any game in advance. No problem spending it after I know I like the game.

GW2 is also box price in advance, no?

I have been pretty curious about both WildStar and GW2, but that up front box price bugs me. I'd rather be able to play and decide if I like it first.

SWTOR... played at launch. leveled 2 characters to max, did tons of pvp. Good game, but I kinda feel like maybe it is played out for me. 

Am I just SOL?

Tried Firefall late beta. That game seemed horrible.

WildStar is a $50-60 box price, no? I'd prefer F2P. I think $50-60 is an expensive gamble on any game in advance. No problem spending it after I know I like the game.

GW2 is also box price in advance, no?

I have been pretty curious about both WildStar and GW2, but that up front box price bugs me. I'd rather be able to play and decide if I like it first.

SWTOR... played at launch. leveled 2 characters to max, did tons of pvp. Good game, but I kinda feel like maybe it is played out for me. 

Am I just SOL?

I've heard GW2 will be adding free trials soon. So you'll get a chance to try it before buying soon enough.

There's also a promotion running at the moment, they're selling the game at 50% on the official site https://www.guildwars2.com/en/ .

I've heard GW2 will be adding free trials soon. So you'll get a chance to try it before buying soon enough.

There's also a promotion running at the moment, they're selling the game at 50% on the official site https://www.guildwars2.com/en/ .

Thanks. 

Anyone else have a suggestion that fits my (admittedly) picky criterion?

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Well Gw2 is also quest ginding, they just moved the !? to be triggered by location instead of clicking a quest giver.

The answer to your question is (and you probably already knew it), there isn't a mmorpg fitting your criteria, only some that may fit some of it. Also dungeon grinding doesn't really fit with solo.. mob grinding as main progression is afaik also non existing.

Maybe Neverwinter could do fill some of the gaps, it is solo friendly except dungeons those are group based like all dungeons in all games are, it has interesting classes and also class mechanics (aka roles), but like all others it is quest based.

Oh actually if you want to go a bit off mmorpg, Path of Exile launches a new "expansion" tomorrow, and that will definately cover the grind mobs/dungeon part completely, and it is actually free to play without hidden pay walls whatsoever.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Neverwinter is really fun if you level via the Foundry user generated content.  I'm leveling a Scourge Warlock via this method now.  Leveled 2 other character to max level via this method as well and although it is a bit slower it is more fun and ever changing.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

You might gift Rift a shot, OP. It has most everything on your list even if it is a typical themepark, and you don't have to quest at all if you don't feel like it.

Instant Adventures are the fastest way to level anyway and are pretty much just grinding mob kills. Plus you have dynamic events that you can randomly jump into to get currencies for gear, and once you are higher level you can mentor down to solo dungeons if you want. (Mentoring up comes in 3.0!) Once you hit level 50, Chronicles open up (solo instances).

You can build your class in tons of unique ways by mixing souls and, while you can always spend a few bucks in the store if you want to (or buy the base game for $5 on Amazon), it's a F2P game with no gated zones or game content.

I leveled two toons to cap completely solo so I know it can be done.

• Sunnyguy46Sunnyguy46 Member UncommonPosts: 91

Solo mob grinding sounds like the most boring/mind numbing way to play ever.

Good luck in your search tho. 

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

Achaea has 17 classes, some of them are really cool like Blademaster, Infernal Necromancer, Jester, Bard...if you're interested in mob grinding and getting to max level, I'd suggest rolling a Monk or Priest character, something tanky with good damage output. The client is pretty customizable and lets you create keybinds, triggers, aliases, etc.

There's also Imperian which has a slightly lower population but has more of a dungeon/grinder feel to it, and you can train pets to hunt for you / accumulate gold while you're logged out.