Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Dragon's Prophet: What’s Next for Dragon’s Prophet?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

I sat down with Todd Carson, Executive Producer of Dragon’s Prophet, to talk about some of their progress over the last year and some things we should watch for in the coming year.  Dragon’s Prophet may also see a push over the next year to expose more new players to some of the systems in the game that they may not know about yet.

Read more of Red Thomas's Dragon's Prophet: What's Next For Dragon's Prophet?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Game has such great potential but the support for it outside of Asia is horrible and the severe SEVERE pack space limits are such a detraction and the cost to upgrade is outrageous. Some might say, pack limits? How can that be a big detraction?

Simple. When you start out with some 20 spaces, get one row of 6 for free while your bank slots are also even more limited. Upgrades costing 99SC for 6 slots, then 199SC, 299SC, 399SC and then 499SC for every 6 after that...BTW SC is 1c per SC so that's $4.99 for 6 pack slots!

This game has a great crafting system but its one designed to MAXIMIZE packspace to place you in a situation to spend money on more pack slots. each 10 levels brings you to the next crafting tier and thus, more crafting items and there are TONS of crafting items.

It forces you to chose between spending $30+ for barely enough room on ONE CHARACTER  for enough space and even then, you will not be holding onto older crafting materials incase you decide to roll another character so you can make items for them...nope, because that $30 wont even get you enough pack space for 3 tiers worth of materials.

If it wasn't for those pack issues and lack of support the game could have been one of the better F2P games on the market.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

it's a fun little game. it's got a great pet system, a multilayered crafting system, and some interesting features with gemming or imbuing gear for better stats.

as mentioned it's got really good potential and im glad to hear that SOE is bringing All Access benefits to it. i hope those include bag space. as mentioned above it is a severe hindrance for doing anything, even w/o crafting. i'd rather they sold top end dragons then cramp day to day player needs for storage, crafting, and training.

one thing i think needs to be remembered when playing it: do not take it too seriously. at least that's how im playing it. helps keep the frustrating pay elements at bay.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I thought this game died in a fire some time ago? Doesn't the game have like really low player base?
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    It is pretty dead when you log in. If SOE or another NA dev had actually made it, it probably would have been awesome. As it is the concepts are really great but the Asian grinder vibe is strong in this one.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I had such high hopes for this game. Then I came to find out that they can even get the game to remain stable for me to enjoy. Once they finally get the game to stop crashing to desktop every 2 minutes maybe I'll think about reinstalling...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I tried the game at launch.  It just felt so amateur.  I'm surprised people still play this.  Then again, if it makes you happy and you are having fun.  More power to you.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by DMKano

My opinion - whats next for this game? Same fate that faced Vanguard, Wizardry and several other titles that SoE shut down.

I give it another year tops.

Just my opinion.

Yeah. To me it seems like SOE buys IP's creates a bunch of hype for their launch, gets a bunch of people to play said launch then just gives up all support for that game. They are allowing the people to update Dragons Prophet at least but at the same time, one has to wonder why they do this. Are profits really good enough from the launch alone to just swipe what they paid to publish under the carpet? They need to advertise these games, Wizardry was actually really fun if you got past the generic graphics. But I never saw one ad for that game ever, I doubt any of my friends even knew about it who would have enjoyed it. Same situation with this game. It has some really neat systems in place but it won't generate the revenue SOE is looking for to keep it running long term unless they get the word out.

• Blacksmith32Blacksmith32 Member Posts: 1

Just my opinion, i played both dev of this game NA by SOE and EURO by Infernum
    Infernum the EURO dev do a great job with  this game . They have diamonds currency just for this game so they do a lot of discount on diamonds sales( often 50% off). The fact about SC is the currency is for all SOE games so they dont want to discount SC just for DP. Result with Infernum, bank slots cost is way less. Infernum support and update are better than SOE.

Every friends who i spoke about this game and give a try to DP finally quit cuz of the prize of bank slots, and you need  to buy bank slots early in the game. Maybe if you neened  further more ppl stay in  the game.

Infernum gives a lot of gifts and do a lot of events.

This game have great potential, flying and combat with a dragon you train yourself gives you something that others mmo don t haves. Hunting dragon who spawn ramdomly and try to tame it , is a cool part of this game. Cool combat system and spells look good.  

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

My opinion - whats next for this game? Same fate that faced Vanguard, Wizardry and several other titles that SoE shut down.

Just my opinion.

we share similar opinion here. All the potential in this game has been ignored since the begining. Also the game is still clunky as hell.... which is surprising because Runewaker did a good job with Runes of Magic in terms of polishing. And i guess SOE dont care about how badly this game runs.

I see a shut down in the not so very far future. And that is sad because the combat in this game is so much more enjoyable than even Tera, but the awful clunkiness here ruins everything.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

Just my opinion.

we share similar opinion here. All the potential in this game has been ignored since the begining. Also the game is still clunky as hell.... which is surprising because Runewaker did a good job with Runes of Magic in terms of polishing. And i guess SOE dont care about how badly this game runs.

I see a shut down in the not so very far future. And that is sad because the combat in this game is so much more enjoyable than even Tera, but the awful clunkiness here ruins everything.

sadly i think you're right. not sure about the timetable as SOE especially has a way of beating dead horses.

there are several problems with the game overall. the complexity could be a bit overwhelming for some. i can see getting lost easily. i probably have a couple of times. but secondly, the localization for the text is awful in several places and at several key junctures, where instructions need to be clear concerning core gameplay elements. finally, and in my mind most importantly, is the cash shop. ive seen a lot of people play games quite happily only understanding a tenth of what was going on. ive also seen games with very poor localization thrive in a nice niche audience. but gating so much content via SC is ridiculous. i thought ArcheAge was kinda pushing it and have had concerns about EQ2 going this route. but my gahd this cash shop is insane. i have never seen anything like it, and i have played a few asian games.

for instance, every characters has an appearance tab. now i totally expected there to be some pay2play aspect with this. LOTRO has it, so does Rift. but they only ask you to buy tabs or sets of costume slots. DP requires that you purchase a costume conversion potion for every item you want to wear as appearance, even old gear that you have already worn, cannot be used as appearance. and added on top of this, the appearance gear will actually carry over a small percentage of it's original stats and add them to your gear score. while this is a cool idea, gating it with SC is just ... a bad idea all around.

(i know there are alternative currencies to SC, but upon researching them you find that the bar is set so high to attain them that it's highly unlikely the majority of players could. and i would add that many very basic benefits, like inventory and bank space are not available via these routes.)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• BioshiitBioshiit Member UncommonPosts: 1
    So much potential, but isn't stable and I think it plays a bit choppy it feels rough. Too bad tho because I really liked the pet system and the combat