Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQNext vs the world

amx23amx23 Member Posts: 102
Why does EQN have to take on all of gaming? I mean when EQN releases a feature people will look up obscure games and say "Well it was in this game first" i mean thats what i heard from the multi-class system it has that a playstation game had that and now all of a sudden EQN sucks. Besides, if most of these peoples main games that they play for some reason if EQN surpasses that they will look for a secondary game and call it there own and start comparing the two. and they usually up the competition to where shooters, simulations, sci fi. I mean, ITS AN MMORPG for fucks sake. NOTHING IS CLOSE TO IT ATM. Will EQN have to be the best game of all genres? THey are deceasing the hype for it for no reason and its stupid. 

Comments

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    This happens any time a developer claims their game is "revolutionary" or is something like "you've never seen before". Gamers are pretty good at calling out studios on their marketing BS.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

people, including me, like to give context of existing game tech / features

i cannot wait for EQN but i like debate

• amx23amx23 Member Posts: 102
    They never said that, they said they take from all games and mold it into a unique shape that satisfys. I mean, thats a direct quote from SOE live 2013 reveal. They are tired of the same """"""MMMMMOOORRRPPGGG""""""" and they want to change that. So they make a new game and all the people have to say is that they are making a big mistake. wtf, People are playing popular mmorpgs for a mechanic. and thats not what the first mmorpg wanted, it just got popularized and clone to infinity. First mmo being Ultima Online. Its about social and role defining choices in a game, not combat winning strategies using rpg elements. But whatever, im not looking back
  • IggunsIgguns Member UncommonPosts: 71
    It's those purdy houses.  They sort of blind one.
  • VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by amx23
    They never said that, they said they take from all games and mold it into a unique shape that satisfys. I mean, thats a direct quote from SOE live 2013 reveal. They are tired of the same """"""MMMMMOOORRRPPGGG""""""" and they want to change that. So they make a new game and all the people have to say is that they are making a big mistake. wtf, People are playing popular mmorpgs for a mechanic. and thats not what the first mmorpg wanted, it just got popularized and clone to infinity. First mmo being Ultima Online. Its about social and role defining choices in a game, not combat winning strategies using rpg elements. But whatever, im not looking back

We can't say SOE is making a mistake? What kind of fanboy do you want everyone to be? I think they're making a terrible mistake with their plastic/cartoony art style. Every EQ player I know rejected WoW because it was cartoony and now SOE for the sake of the almighty dollar has basically said, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." You can say WTF all you want - my concerns aren't because I want EQN to be a clone of anything, but I did want it to be an EVERQUEST game - which it doesn't resemble at all.

I mean people log in, first thing they do is think of combat, they dont even talk to each other, they queue you in a dungeon you fight and get loot. IF you wanted the realism of being in a medieval world or fantasy doing ritual combat, killing someone and looting his corpse like in real life play single player rpgs, they are much better optimized for that. I met the best people in EQ2 (lots of chicks) and the game was cool too. Not to say i didnt have fun with themepark mmos but i want to see how this goes, so im downloading ArcheAge.
    You have to be an 80s kid to realize there are no mistakes, just lost revenue. SOE is owned by Sony which is the number 1 games company in the world, they earn 12 billion a year to Blizzards 4.6 billion. WoW cost 200 million to make. Yes, it is a risk, and its not like theyre wasting resources, they made  H1Z!, Landmark, Planetside 2. Do you seriously want Day Z, Minecraft and World of Warcraft to make fine polished games and sequels knowing they wont innovate?
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

it doesnt matter that other mmos exist that you dislike

find the mmos you do like - and enjoy them

most gamers do not visit gaming forums -- and the ones that do... are usually here to argue image

• IggunsIgguns Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Hi there.
    I mean if your aim is to get people to not waste money on SOE because you think its a mistake, well, All their games are f2p anyway. Changing something is positive hype.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I really liked some of the ideas put forward for EQ Next, the level-less design, the rallying calls, emergent AI etc. But having seen the combat demo during the Landmark keynote, which is basically how it will be in EQN, it's a bit disappointing. Another action based click fest.

I know there are a lot of fans for this style of play out there but I like my MMO's to be slower paced. If I want action and an adrenelin rush I play FPS. When I want to relax I play an MMO. This is just another MMO to pass on now.

Im pretty sure Hardcore MMOers love this shit. fast paced combat is our next step. And i doubt its that face paced its just a demo that got leaked from our fan faire into the internet and got so much hate i had to come from reddit to see. WoW really did inject casuals into the mmorpg scene. Sad really. 
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    The world would be boring if everyone liked the same things you do.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Im pretty sure Hardcore MMOers love this shit. fast paced combat is our next step. And i doubt its that face paced its just a demo that got leaked from our fan faire into the internet and got so much hate i had to come from reddit to see. WoW really did inject casuals into the mmorpg scene. Sad really. 

No leaks, this is from the official keynote video hosted on the Landmark site and they talk about introducing PvP into the game with a bunch of devs doing a live demo.

See for yourself.

https://www.landmarkthegame.com/media

As for "hardcore" MMO'ers, I think I qualify there. From Meridian 59 to UO to EQ to DAoC to SWG, E&B, EQ2, WoW, EVE, AoC and many more. We don't all like the fast pace in todays games. Personally I like my old tab target systems and relaxing while playing an MMO. I don't like the pacing of the levels now either, far to quick. When it takes the average joe 2-3 weeks to hit the level cap that's a poor game design to me. But that's just me.

As I said there are plenty of ppl out there that like todays faster paced games, I'm just not one of them. When I want that kind of gameplay I play an FPS and I'd prefer it if the two genres kept their differences rather than melding into some kind of hybrid of both.

The other ideas for EQN sound amazing. The voxel based destructable world, the layers of underground areas, the AI, all sounds great. But that combat has just turned me right off it. For me, it's a pass but I'm certain there will be plenty out there who will really like it.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

WoW cost 200 million to make.

LOL what?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

I like the toughness EQ1 had, Bought the new expansion? Didnt have the good enough armor from the last one? You wont experience NONE of the content, you wont even kill a fly. So you are forced to go to allakazam and study who drops what and stuff.. And the combat was extremely slow. It takes me 5 minutes or 300 seconds to solo a lvl 90 trash mob while im near level cap as a tank. It is relaxing to grind AA for 2 hours with my merc. switching zones because i make 10k platinum loot and 6 aas to 6k platinum or 10aas in another zone. The EQ mechanic for EQNext is promising but i still prefer what theyre talking about. the artstyle could only be a letdown at this point. Prepare your butts!
    Thats the cost over the first 4 years including lich king. the last 6 well that just increases 
    Wow Second life, how fun to just talk in a virtual chat room. Yeah i bet you didnt think i would know what you were referring to? name 1 mmo that innovated in its entire existence of mmos been out there. He is turning the mmo world upside down

Rallying calls is a like a professional DnD Game Master creating scenarios for you to take on and living in the permanent change afterwards, every action dictates the direction of the whole server. First time thats been done, Destructable worlds, name a conventional game that has that? PS4 XBox, PC, GAmeboy.....Heres a vid: 

Does this look like typical mmo combat to you?? 

WHY ARE PEOPLE IGNORING THE INFO THAT IS GIVEN TO THEM AND JUST SAYING ANYTHING THEY WANT AND PEOPLE BELIEVINGTHEM?

There are ZERO quests to do, MMO genre offically upside down!!

They took it to the next level, added features, innovating yes but not like changing the core game. armor is different, items are different, health is different, power abilities spells are different. Noone is having a deep discussion about this and theres obviously TONS to talk about but all we get is fucking hate, the artstyle sucks wahhhh. wtf
    Every mechanic is done someting diffreent in that game. Tier worlds that the dungeons are multiple layered underground?? thats a feature but still. Noone wants to talk about that, they want to say its a mistake because the demo is too fast. Its getting or i was real bad.

And its all done in a freakin awesome graphics system...

Its EQN against the world, i will fight for it

i saw the light

With permanent change? WIth changing scenarios accross different servers with different results? THink of different servers as a multi-verse. It makes each server unique. with different steps leading up to it. because of groundbreaking emergent ai where the mobs have wants and needs and changes its world around them. Where you wont kill a named mob twice because he is permantly out of the world and a new random named takes its place.
    Somehow youre winning because you are creating doubt, which is bull because i have all the evidence too. arguments are not fair when one is willfully ignorant
    Originally posted by DMKano

Rallying calls is a like a professional DnD Game Master creating scenarios for you to take on and living in the permanent change afterwards, every action dictates the direction of the whole server. First time thats been done, Destructable worlds, name a conventional game that has that? PS4 XBox, PC, GAmeboy.....Heres a vid: 

Does this look like typical mmo combat to you?? 

WHY ARE PEOPLE IGNORING THE INFO THAT IS GIVEN TO THEM AND JUST SAYING ANYTHING THEY WANT AND PEOPLE BELIEVINGTHEM?

There are ZERO quests to do, MMO genre offically upside down!!

Again lets see Rallying calls in action - oh yeah you can't because its just all theory right now. All devs studio say lots of things before it's in the game - it all sounds great on paper.

lets see it in game first, otherwise we are discussing empty promises.

You know what Rallying calls all - public quests that Warhammer Online introduced, Rift took to the next level and many games today use (GW2 dynamic events etc....)

Its a major game feature for this game or what he calls a grail, i doubt he will overlook it.