Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Price of Subscription going up soon!

Comments

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Looks totally like an exchange rate adjustment, so of course it's a mechanical announcement.

Are you saying the Euro and Dollar kept the same value since 2004 ? 

lol.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi
    Looks totally like an exchange rate adjustment, so of course it's a mechanical announcement.

lol.

I think he's saying that Euro and Dollar haven't kept the same value since 2004, so now it's high time for Blizzard to adjust their price to compensate.

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358
    Originally posted by Shodanas

The new pricing will affect only the UK. 

That's what you get when you refuse to join the happy euro band wagon. image

yeah, we get a stronger economy :)

Brits are generally richer than their euro spending friends so 1 extra £ wont hurt anyone. Putting up a industry wide price for MMO access seems a stupid move for many games but this is WoW where the diehards will pay any price to keep their access. Once this price rise settles expect more to cover the loss in revenue from the recent drop in subscribers.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Economics Blizzard style. Fighting f2p games and increasing revenue in one fell swoop.

Originally posted by Vrika

lol.

I think he's saying that Euro and Dollar haven't kept the same value since 2004, so now it's high time for Blizzard to adjust their price to compensate.

So Blizzard feels to adjust the price, but what about EvE, Everquest, etc, and all the other old MMO's ?

This sets a very bad precedent, because the other devs seeing that Blizzard got away with it, then they soon will follow lead...

... and who gets phucked in the ass are us, the gamers.

New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Look on the bright side folks, there will be less people that means less time loging into the game and less servers . Seems like a big win for Blizzard to me ?
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    It should go up more. It's going up to 9.99 Euro for a month. That isn't even $15.

yeah i dont see the problem. Here in NJ i pay $16 for a month.... They love to take that extra dollar out of my wallet. Still better than the dollar menu, though.

Originally posted by Elsabolts
    Look on the bright side folks, there will be less people that means less time loging into the game and less servers . Seems like a big win for Blizzard to me ?

Well, for every 10 paid players, they can now afford to lose 1... so in economic terms they are actually safeguarding a 10% loss in revenue and player numbers for the future.

Good guy Blizzard.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Vrika

lol.

So Blizzard feels to adjust the price, but what about EvE, Everquest, etc, and all the other old MMO's ?

This sets a very bad precedent, because the other devs seeing that Blizzard got away with it, then they soon will follow lead...

... and who gets phucked in the ass are us, the gamers.

EVE was charging about 12 GBP, but has dropped down to 9.99, so that is already at that rate

SOE may put price up as one sub, subs to all SOE games, and All Access was £13.99

When I first started playing SWG I was paying varying amounts of £10+ as was being charged in USD, but then they changed things and used an international company so we could pay in GBP, and it dropped to £9.49 and then £8.99

Basically all the others seem to be lowering the costs than raising them. They are announcing it now to see peoples reactions, and I do not think Blizzard will go through with this increase. 

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Ohhh the greed
  • PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    So inflation even exists in the mmo world? 
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    They will test drive the British Pound and then increase it across the board.
    Chamber of Chains
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Not sure when gamers started expecting regular content updates for their sub fee, that fee gives you the right to play the game as is, nothing more.

If they choose to release new current in between the paid expansions, that's just them being magnanimous, they are perfectly within their right to go off and spend the sub fees on beer and hookers if they choose.

Seriously? For one who's been spending his entire life one these forums for years (almost 19,000 posts...lol), you are quite clueless. Not the first time, btw.

We EXPECT contentent updates because Blizzard PROMISED more FREQUENT updates. And when you instead get the longest content drought in the game's history, that false advertising, aka borderline fraud.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

blibbleBlizzardbippityboppitykeywordoutrageboopscribble30-day60-daywtfblarghblahblahflorp

"So Blizzard feels to adjust the price, but what about EvE, Everquest, etc, and all the other old MMO's ?"

The ones that accept Sterling pounds already have adjusted it, some over two years ago

"On a side note, why did the price not go down in a recession? Yeah... thought so Blizzard."

For the same reason your cable, netflix and gym memberships didn't. 

Can you list the MMOs that accept pounds that haven't adjusted the price? 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Netspook
    Not sure when gamers started expecting regular content updates for their sub fee, that fee gives you the right to play the game as is, nothing more.

If they choose to release new current in between the paid expansions, that's just them being magnanimous, they are perfectly within their right to go off and spend the sub fees on beer and hookers if they choose.

Seriously? For one who's been spending his entire life one these forums for years (almost 19,000 posts...lol), you are quite clueless. Not the first time, btw.

We EXPECT contentent updates because Blizzard PROMISED more FREQUENT updates. And when you instead get the longest content drought in the game's history, that false advertising, aka borderline fraud.

Color me clueless, as well. I wasn't aware of this promise. I also find it odd that the talking point about this supposed broken promise is "9-month drought" when every three months Blizzard has been publishing updates. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GrimfargoGrimfargo Member UncommonPosts: 59

I cant understand people whining about this. its one frickin pound and people with recurring subscription will have for 2 years the same price as it is since 10!! years.

Tell me one company who kept for 10 years the same price for any subscription?

Originally posted by Loktofeit

blibbleBlizzardbippityboppitykeywordoutrageboopscribble30-day60-daywtfblarghblahblahflorp

"So Blizzard feels to adjust the price, but what about EvE, Everquest, etc, and all the other old MMO's ?"

The ones that accept Sterling pounds already have adjusted it, some over two years ago

"On a side note, why did the price not go down in a recession? Yeah... thought so Blizzard."

Did you read the article you linked?

Let me quote it for you then...

"Beginning 1st May, you can use pounds sterling to pay for your Eve Online subscription. This, Icelandic developer CCP said, will result in an estimated 20 per cent price reduction versus the current rate."

What they did was to allow players to pay in OTHER currencies with  20% DISCOUNT over the current price.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

"Beginning 1st May, you can use pounds sterling to pay for your Eve Online subscription. This, Icelandic developer CCP said, will result in an estimated 20 per cent price reduction versus the current rate."

What they did was to allow players to pay in OTHER currencies with  20% DISCOUNT over the current price.

And then you should mention that any player with half a brain should be able to play for free after 2-3 months.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Netspook

Color me clueless, as well. I wasn't aware of this promise. I also find it odd that the talking point about this supposed broken promise is "9-month drought" when every three months Blizzard has been publishing updates. 

This is getting redicilous.

Check your own link. When was there added new CONTENTS? The last patch notes are all ADJUSTMENTS and BUG FIXES.

So yes, I'll definitively color you clueless.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Gorwe

Do you realise how crazy the stuff in 2nd and 3rd sounds? It's apparently ok to pay a sub just because someone says it is. Is it ok when someone mugs you then? The very same principle! No, it's even worse when it comes to subs. You pay for  a game and then...you need to pay AGAIN? Pretty strange if you ask me. It's like buying a DVD then being charged everytime you want to watch it. Either or is godmade for this case.

And that is exactly why I am pro Cash shop(as long as it isn't handled in a lottery style like in swtor). Devs have to show even a tiny,  weeny bit of effort in order to earn their keep. Instead of subs which allow devs to swim in money just because(wow being the perfect example. NINE MONTHS without an update and people still sub? Do you even understand what kind of message you're sending?).

Of course, sub is ok as long as there is no initial purchase. I REALLY prefer the way Freemiums handle it: unlock the things you need a-la-carte(as they come) or unlock EVERYTHING by subbing. Free download.

I've been paying for subs for over 13 years now, started out at about $12.99 a month,went up to $14.99 when WOW came out and really hasn't gone up in 10 years. Even at $20.00 a month, the cost would be pennies a day, and there were times I've paid up for up to 5 subs for multiple games. (I pay for 3 right now in EVE)

Prior to the sub/internet era I paid Genie $6.99 per hour for access on nights and weekends, $14.99 per hour during the day, and this was back in 1988 dollars, so I just can't get too upset at today's monthly sub fees.

Speaking of access fees, my cable company has charged me $45.00 per month since the mid 90s for internet access only. Sure, the speed has increased some over the years, but I suspect my monthly service doesn't cost them anything near what they charge me, and they certainly don't deliver me regular content updates.

From where I sit, your viewpoints on how MMOs seems a bit unrealistic and self entitled, but that is just one reason I would consider myself a MMORPG purist, and F2P fans such as yourself a MMORPG tourist. You are just not in it for the long haul, you just want to drop into the genre casually when you want to.

Sooner developers stop catering to you the better IMO, in fact my hope is they will start making having a sub a premium service, much like Trion is doing with AA'S patron status.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Muke

And then you should mention that any player with half a brain should be able to play for free after 2-3 months.

Exactly! :)

moredribble

Again, can you list the MMOs that accept pounds that haven't adjusted the price? 

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    Just about everything is more expensive than it was in 2004 - I'm actually surprised subs have mostly stayed the same. It also justifies studios creating more ways to generate income.
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Does not suprise me as the suits from this company have always been trying to either sell or make as much as they can and the fact they had little or no new content. They have no respect for their player base and looking at their finance report this year shows that people are fed up and bailing out. So putting up the subs will help more players to leave and find a newer game to play.

Asbo

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    It would seem that Blizzard thinks WoD will be the hottest thing since breasts....but lets be real, nothing beats breasts. Good Luck Blizzard.