Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next New Combat and Classes Video SOE Live 2014

Comments

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    Among Archeage, EQN and Black Desert(3 games that promise to be sandboxes). I'm in love with Black Desert the most mainly due to the art style which is the best among them.
  • TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Ugh, I might be done with MMOs. There doesn't seem to be anything fun in them anymore, to me at least. After playing Destiny and PT. I'm gonna stick to single player and hybrids. They seem to be the only one pushing the limits.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Action crap.  God, they really are targeting kids with this.
    Originally posted by Tyggs
    Ugh, I might be done with MMOs. There doesn't seem to be anything fun in them anymore, to me at least. After playing Destiny and PT. I'm gonna stick to single player and hybrids. They seem to be the only one pushing the limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR8xLquiimE
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by DMKano
    I watched both Landmark and EQNext streams live. I am still in utter disbelief of how underwhelming combat is in both games. Also the fact that they show VIDEOS of EQN instead of actual live gameplay says it all.

I love how SOE are continuing to release highly-edited video sequences and calling it a demonstration of game play or combat or anything (without interfaces, I might add).  This particular video doesn't even maintain the same focus character through out.   If the game switches viewpoints as much as this video does, I will get sick.  From this example, I can see that the first thing I'll need to do after the first fight is turn off all the glowing combat effects.  Let me see a 1st person view and how the combat is controlled (auto-fight, mouse moves, etc.), how monsters are selected and how to start a spell.  I would be more convinced if someone interrupted the character and simply had them open a backpack.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Mythos99Mythos99 Member Posts: 6
    I had some hopes with EQN, but seing this, i don't know, not so impressed...
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Totally disappointing dribble and if this is all we have to look forward to from SOE then I'm out gutted expected a lot more from these guys. If i wanted to play combat like that I'd go play one of them eastern crap morps...!!!

Asbo

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
     the fact that they show VIDEOS of EQN instead of actual live gameplay says it all.

I'm a SOE fan but i agree

i was expecting something more than -new- tech demos

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Maybe they plan to release it on mobile phones LOL... It seems like they are going backwards in time.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by Prenho3

I've seen the videos for Black Desert a few times. It's pretty, but still nothing new or exciting. It looks just like TERA to me. I might just be burned out. The games may be fantastic, but just not for me at this time.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

Originally posted by Prenho3

I've seen the videos for Black Desert a few times. It's pretty, but still nothing new or exciting. It looks just like TERA to me. I might just be burned out. The games may be fantastic, but just not for me at this time.

TERA  more themepark, BS is more sandbox, with a pvp - pk system similar to the old Lineage

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    This was a collection of different classes shown and sequenced so they could pause the video and explain what is going on. The Landmark keynote did have live battling and it uses the same engine, just different skill sets.

Of interest was at 1:45. When the Elementalist puts down that ice circle it changes the voxel to snow or ice in a 3D shape in the ground. Snow has a lower "strength" than other substances so later on when the Warrior uses whirlwind, which damages the ground, they are able to break down to a lower level. Also, another Elementalist ability will freeze other players if the frost circle is below them, will not if they are on regular ground.

Yes, it is action based so abilities will have to be aimed or will miss. Real player skill matters a little more, at least timing and direction.
  • Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264

Can we get some combat with our incredibly over-the-top effects next time?  I know SOE will probably provide the ability to turn that shit down but that was nuts.  That was just horrid IMHO.  My 11 year old asked me why I was watching a video of a kids game.  I told her it was EQ Next and was for adults, and she busted out laughing at me and walked away.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    This looks soooo boring :( I am really bummed, but can't say I'm surprised. I don't think someone who played any of the previous EQs is their target demographic... I've not been impressed with anything I've seen so far. I will keep an eye on it when it comes out in 2016 or 2017, but I'm not hopeful for it.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I watched both Landmark and EQNext streams live. I am still in utter disbelief of how underwhelming combat is in both games. Also the fact that they show VIDEOS of EQN instead of actual live gameplay says it all.

It certainly does say it all. It says that there is still a lot of work to be done. This was just a preview of 3 class's, combat is in a pre alpha stage, this is no secret. No one is trying to tell you that the game is close to release, don't know how much clearer they can possibly spell it out.

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't

The one thing that I will give SOE, is that they are definitely trying to produce a true "Next Gen MMORPG" 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Cant take the running seriously without breaking into laughter :)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by laserit

It certainly does say it all. It says that there is still a lot of work to be done. This was just a preview of 3 class's, combat is in a pre alpha stage, this is no secret. No one is trying to tell you that the game is close to release, don't know how much clearer they can possibly spell it out.

The one thing that I will give SOE, is that they are definitely trying to produce a true "Next Gen MMORPG" 

5 classes: Wizard, Elementalist, Tempest, Warrior and Cleric. And I find it quite interesting that beside the default attack, everything else was either movement, support or CC abilities. I'm starting to get hopeful that they dropped DPS has a class role.

I'm also rather impressed by how fast they took the player made Dark Elf workshop creations and created something for the SOE Live demo with it. Some of the Landmark stuff was pretty cool too.

The best was the information that when landmark get into open beta, EQNext is going to be feature complete (aka ready to go in it's own betat). Some people think Landmark will go into open beta before the end of the year...

Originally posted by laserit

So, what is "Next Gen" about this game?  Just curious because if this is Next Gen, I might have to find another hobby.

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Thought it was neverwinter there for a few seconds
  • TruewayTrueway Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Nitth

Cant take the running seriously without breaking into laughter :)

hahah yea it isnt running.. its a constant sliding.. with an animation of taking steps hahaha.. SO BAD

Originally posted by Mpfive

neverwinter has way better graphics

Originally posted by Trueway
    Originally posted by Mpfive

Never thought I'd say this, but I agree.

omg.. they are drinking beer and talking about landmark..

A new low is confirmed.

• MMOVet74MMOVet74 Member UncommonPosts: 76

The only good thing about this video was that cleric shield. Very nice design. Everything else like graphics, sound, animations, spell effects  were disappointing. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Bannuk

Originally posted by Trueway

Originally posted by Mpfive Thought it was neverwinter there for a few seconds
    Never thought I'd say this, but I agree.

I have to disagree, They have some really nice post processing and Nvidia phsyx effects within the engine.

Have a look at the "monster" video, They are really quite nice.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development