Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I play Perpetuum instead of EVE.

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I am posting this here so I dont grief the EVE players too much. Besides they pay for it. :-)

Here are the reasons I left EVE to play Perpetuum. I will list from first reason to last! Enjoy!

1. Probably the best reason to play Perpetuum. Only a 1 time fee per account for the game. NO SUBS EVER!@!!!!!. Yes you heeard it! No subscription fees. Tired of fishing out that 14.99 or a Plex every month to keep that EVE account going? Watch older long term players never pay for a subscription while you always end up paying one way or the other.

I currently run 3 Perpetuum accounts. After buying the game I never have to subscribe and can play my characters to my own delight without the hassle or worry of a subscription.

2. WASD controls! Unlike EVEs point and click(Which Perpetuum has as well) you can also go manual and use WASD controls.  This is a biggie for me as it leaves my options open for movement. They also have autobots to make traveling over long distance easier.

3. PVP is much more fun on a world than in space. Thats right, you heard it! PVP in Perpetuum is frigging AWESOME!!!@ Can hide behinde cover. Terrain, Buildings, all in 0/0 Beta Islands. Mass battles, incursions, Ambushes, very few rats!!

4. Almost the same as EVE for Industry, Economics, Factories, Mining, Research, and the inclusion of Horticulture! Tech Levels!!

5.  Mechs are more fun than ships!! I have much more fun on mob farming than I ever did in EVE. Can outfit in all kinds of different specs.

6. The skill system! Just as vast as EVE's skill system. Skills lead into others, Character Development is a serious shining star for this game!

7. Ahh the politics, nothing more fun than seeing the tussles of corporations arguing over territory or actually going to war.

See for yourself! http://www.perpetuum-online.com/  and for a fun veiw of combat take a look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn_4g6jyqLs

For those of you who play EVE. This is for you! Why give out money you dont have to!

Comments

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

"Early Access" MMO = pass for me til its done. Sorry. Also I don't think you badmouthed EVE quite enough in your little ad.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Originally posted by iridescence

"Early Access" MMO = pass for me til its done. Sorry. Also I don't think you badmouthed EVE quite enough in your little ad.

It isn't really early access. It was launched like 3 or 4 years ago but didn't get much playerbase, I also don't actually see that term on their site anywhere. But if they are tagging it early access now then it's because they want a relaunch, which honestly they might deserve. The game looks pretty well made.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    How is the PVE? Can I be a industrial player / crafter without doing pvp? How is the population?
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Greymantle4
    How is the PVE? Can I be a industrial player / crafter without doing pvp? How is the population?

Yes, just like in EVE you have Alpha and Beta, as a crafter you can stay on Alpha(Secure) the entire time. There is enough to do just in the Alpha areas to keep you happy! And if you need mats there is the market or you can get someone to run for you.  There are entire Industry corps that run Alpha areas only. A couple quite successful.

Also there are 3 pve factions, you can run Industrial or Combat missions for that faction. They offer good things when doing them. Plus at a  certain point you get tokens to buy specific faction materials or items. Or you can just go podding and hunt npc mobs for mats and items. Great if you are wanting to reverse engineer a item to make a prototype for factory runs! Besides good money!

• cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261

Population is in the dumpster (100-200 online concurrently at peak) after most of the DP alliance quit playing the game after losing the last war for Alsbale.

Last battle of the war;

Since then it's been peacetime, so lots of winning vets are taking breaks and the majority of the population is building up resources for the next war.

Originally posted by cirsyndic

Population is in the dumpster (100-200 online concurrently at peak) after most of the DP alliance quit playing the game after losing the last war for Alsbale.

Last battle of the war;

Since then it's been peacetime, so lots of winning vets are taking breaks and the majority of the population is building up resources for the next war.

GREAT VID Syndic.!!!

Now for those who dont know this man. He likes the population low. As it keeps his corp as TOP DOG(No competition). Syndic will tell you himself.

While me on the otherhand believe its time for a change. Time to ruffle feathers, get more pop and bring in a new set of dynamics.

Why I made this post for this AWESOME game!

• jayemlegacyjayemlegacy Member UncommonPosts: 23

Honestly, this post has peeked my interest... Im debating on buying this... I am currently an Eve Player but as I do have a job, idk whats stopping me from playing both :D.

Do you have any tips for new players?

Originally posted by jayemlegacy

Honestly, this post has peeked my interest... Im debating on buying this... I am currently an Eve Player but as I do have a job, idk whats stopping me from playing both :D.

Do you have any tips for new players?

Well make sure to do your tutorial and your level 0 missions. But before deciding which L0 missions to do, decide what you want to do, Industry, or Combat. Or maybe even a mix of both. You get great starting bots and equipment. You get 40k EP points to spend on skills, you gain roughly 1400 a day. You can if you want as its optional, buy a boost. But its not necessary. As early on you can be quite successful in whichever endeavor you prefer.

Also it is very important to find a corp. Easy to get tagged to since everyone is looking for members. They also offer perks as well. equipment, high level pod runs ect. And when you are ready PVP.

Also if you decide to buy. You dont have to buy from steam, you can buy direct from the company gamesite. I run 1 steam account and 2 regular accounts.

The main thing Im worried about is population. I've been doing some research and I hear its pretty low. Also how big is the world? Add me on steam   Baalh    name will be Jayem

Remember in early EVE where most players played 0,0? Population is growing. The relaunch has added quite a bit of players. It is similar to EVEs launch. But it is growing. I personally think you will have fun if you enjoy EVE. In chat right now I see at least 25 different corps. Then you have corps who dont join GC. Also most players are helpful to noobies. Which would be if you decide to buy the game. There is a help channel.

Also if you do join ill offer a invitation to the corp im in. (CONS) Decepticons :-). Pretty good corp for only 4 months old.

Im really thinking about it but now Elite Dangerous has caught my eye... cant afford to buy too much stuff haha.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

One thing I preferred about Perpetuum is that combat is much more involved, especially when it comes to using the terrain to your advantage. Always liked sniping NPCs with missiles, popping in and out of cover or circling around behind, or utilizing the high ground.

Seems like this would be important in large battles as well, as corps would obviously try to fight on terrain which plays to their armies' strengths. Heck of a lot better than 'click orbit and start shooting'. Yes, I am oversimplifying a bit, but the point is valid.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    i am played Perpetuum short time after Eve  Incarna crap , but I am back to play EVE
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Every time I look at the game it always looks fun but I've always avoided it because I tend to spend so much more time in pve than pvp. Eve really didn't appeal to me because the pvp was so much sit around and wait and then do what you're told.

So the idea of the this game makes me want to play but the reality of what I'll find keeps me from buying it.

Originally posted by xpowderx

Last battle of the war;

GREAT VID Syndic.!!!

Now for those who dont know this man. He likes the population low. As it keeps his corp as TOP DOG(No competition). Syndic will tell you himself.

While me on the otherhand believe its time for a change. Time to ruffle feathers, get more pop and bring in a new set of dynamics.

Why I made this post for this AWESOME game!

Quite on the opposite, I'd love for the population to be like EVE but the fact is that currently there is at best 100-200 people actively playing. I don't know why you're trying to hide that fact by trying to discredit me in some way, but you're not gonna get any new people coming to the game with your dishonesty.

The game is not growing, it has shrunk from a high 400-500 when it went Early Access to 50-100 in chat.

http://steamcharts.com/app/223410#3m

At the time of writing, there's 31 people playing via Steam and 47 in global chat.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Every time I look at the game it always looks fun but I've always avoided it because I tend to spend so much more time in pve than pvp. Eve really didn't appeal to me because the pvp was so much sit around and wait and then do what you're told.

So the idea of the this game makes me want to play but the reality of what I'll find keeps me from buying it.

The PvE did not seem that much weaker compared to the PvE in other MMORPGs, other than the lack of story.  If the story is important, then yeah, it's an empty experience.  The game seems to work though, which is more than I can say for a lot of MMORPGs that I played at release.

For me though, it really was the combat.  It's a bias on my part though.  If I'm riding around in a Mech, even if it's a robot and my body is floating in a space station in orbit driving the robot around, I expect combat to be like Mechwarrior or Battletech.  I felt like I was playing WoW, with cover mechanics during combat.  It was just 'meh' to me.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by lizardbones
    Originally posted by DamonVile

The PvE did not seem that much weaker compared to the PvE in other MMORPGs, other than the lack of story.  If the story is important, then yeah, it's an empty experience.  The game seems to work though, which is more than I can say for a lot of MMORPGs that I played at release.

For me though, it really was the combat.  It's a bias on my part though.  If I'm riding around in a Mech, even if it's a robot and my body is floating in a space station in orbit driving the robot around, I expect combat to be like Mechwarrior or Battletech.  I felt like I was playing WoW, with cover mechanics during combat.  It was just 'meh' to me.

I can agree with this. The mechs don't really feel like mechs, more like radio-controlled robotic spiders. There's no real sense of scale, and I never really feel as though I'm piloting a 20 - 30 foot tall engine of destruction.

Then again, I've never gotten past the first 1 - 2 models available. Maybe the later ones feel better.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

Last battle of the war;

Hello Syndic,

I'm glad to see that you and CIR still have a presence in the game.  I had some great times with these guys for the few months that I played. 

It's unfortunate that the player base got so dammed low.  The premise for the game is fantastic and unique even with its similar Eve like time based skill progression.  I'm not sure what changes they've made but I wish them success with their version 2.0.

Regards,

Uncle Mo

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Perpetuum is a dead game unfortunately. I also played EVE for years and am super burnt out ...really would love a game with EVE's systems and mechanics but with a different combat system.  Archeage is step in the right direction but can't compare to EVEs depth in the sandbox.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by unclemo

Last battle of the war;

Hello Syndic,

I'm glad to see that you and CIR still have a presence in the game.  I had some great times with these guys for the few months that I played. 

It's unfortunate that the player base got so dammed low.  The premise for the game is fantastic and unique even with its similar Eve like time based skill progression.  I'm not sure what changes they've made but I wish them success with their version 2.0.

Regards,

Uncle Mo

We've been looking for you everywhere mate, pop in-game (your accounts should be free) and we'll get you into comms & contact with the rest of the gang. :)

Or just shoot me a PM here and I'll dig up the new TS deets

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I see that the game is now B2P, which i guess means it has some kind of cash shop monetisation, i had a look at the game several years ago, not sure what the deal is with the game suddenly relaunching, although i will admit i did think the game had been shut down a couple of years ago, so maybe that is the case? well either way i don't see it being a replacement for Eve, and given some of the earlier comments about the game having such a low population, which i guess is good in one way, as your more likely to know everyone, although for PVP, if your only fighting the same couple of dozen people its bound to be a bit repetitive image