Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aging well, can digital game help? A WoW survey for gamers aged 55+

13»

Comments

• emily26emily26 Member UncommonPosts: 59

Hi, we have 202 responses now.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome. 

If you fit the demographic features, please do me a favor to complete the survey. Thanks.

Hi, this survey will be closed on September 1.

Please take the survey to make it a success.

The two winners will be drawn in September. 

Hi, we have 282 responses now.
    Hi, we have 297 responses now.
    This survey will be closed in September. If you fit the demographic features, please take a few minutes to complete the survey. 

Thanks.
    Hi, we have 310 responses now.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't think you are going to find 500 Wow players all wanting to do a survey let alone 500 period aged 55+.

My guess is you will most likely get some pretending to be 55+ but are really in their 30's.

I know it is tough to find a topic and make a report for a school project so i wish you luck.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Hi, we only have two weeks left. Please take a few minutes to complete the survey.

Thank you very much!

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I am 55 and I play games for fun.  I thought that was the point?

Anyway I tried the WoW trial and it was ok but was not going to pay a sub for it.   Sorry guess I can't help either.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Hi, we have 319 responses now.

Thank you for your participation and thoughtful comments. 

Hi, we have 321 responses now.

This survey will be closed in September. Please complete the survey as soon as possible if you believe this research is significant. 

Thank you very much. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by emily26
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    Yeah I was going to say why would it target World of Warcraft players only?  Phish.

Compared with younger adults, older adults face different life situations, like retirement, loss of significant ones. This may reduce their social interactions with other people.  So, we want to know whether playing WoW can help them deal with these life changes.

Give us a senior discount!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Hi, 329 responses now. We are getting there.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Hi sirchive,

Thank you very much for your useful comments, which will help me improve the survey.

Those questions ask almost the same things, like loneliness, depression and social support. So, they are supposed to be repetitive. The purpose of this study is to analyze whether and how social interactions within WoW relate to the social and emotional lives of older adults.  It doesn’t mean your social interactions within WoW cause or deal with those feelings. But I do agree this survey is very long, and I will try to shorten it.

I am so happy to hear that you play with your wife. But I hope you can  understand that this survey is open to all kinds of people (married or not). For those questions that do not apply to you, please select "Disagree" or "Never".

Again, thank you

The assumption is offensive. Not going to read the entire thread to see if this survey was completely altered. But the longstanding stigma surrounding gamers is that we're lonely, isolated and depressed people. Would you have those questions on a survey to people who race cars as a hobby?

I've seen (and participated in many) of these survey's over the years, and one things is always consistent - the theme of gamers as sad, lonely people.

Want to do a real study? How about test the effects of gaming on the aging mind and how it may affect neurodegenerative diseases.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Playing online video games has hurt my Dad health wise, not helped him.  He literally spends all day on the computer staring at the screen, not interacting with anyone... not in game, not out of game.  He has a myriad of health issues that are not conducive to sitting for long periods of time, but he ignores us, the doctors, and when he gets hospitalized, he just plays the game from his hospital bed.  In other words, you can sum up his life experience with computer games thusly... he's waiting to die in front of one.  The last breath he takes, the last thing he will see, is the butt of his avatar.  How's that for a survey response?
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

No matter what you play, if you fit the demographic it probably would be useful.

Hi, we have 330 responses now.

You may feel sick of seeing this post every day, but we are trying to get as many responses as possible.

Hope you can understand.

Thank you!

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

Emily is apparently a 34 year old man that is a PhD candidate yet cannot comprehend the grammatical guidelines of the English language nor spell-check his work.

I'm not sure what amazes me more, the fact that some idiot is making up lies filled with obvious red flags or the fact that grown men and women are falling for them.

Here is the result of the Question “Has playing World of Warcraft(WoW) caused any of the following problems for you (Please choose all that apply)”?

46.0%--I experience fatigue after playing online for several hours.

25.7%--I sleep less so I can have more time to play online

15.0%--I skip meals because I am so attracted to the game.

46.9%--My exercise habits have changed since I started playing games.

33.6%--I spend less time staying in touch with family and real-life friends because I played WoW.

23.0%--I experienced conflict with my family and real-life friends over how much time I spent playing WoW.

19.5%--I was late or missed work because of the time I spent playing WoW.

22.1%--Other

Here are some other problems: lost spouse, wrist pain, eye fatigue, dropping out other hobbies like reading. 

Hi, we have 346 responses now.

This survey will be closed on next Monday.

Please take a few minutes to complete it before it's closed.

Thank you very much!

• ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

and why just select world of wankers? it's not the only game our there that people over 55 play.

i've managed to live past 55, lucky me, and i've played mmos since early asherons call days. and i'm sure there are others out there who dont play wow. so why just select one game instead of making the survey about gaming in general?

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

Hi, today is the last day to complete the survey.

Thank you very much for your participation. 

Originally posted by Ardnut

and why just select world of wankers? it's not the only game our there that people over 55 play.

i've managed to live past 55, lucky me, and i've played mmos since early asherons call days. and i'm sure there are others out there who dont play wow. so why just select one game instead of making the survey about gaming in general?

As mentioned in my previous posts, investigating all MMOs will introduce new variables to the study, which affects the generalization of study results. 

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Ardnut

As mentioned in my previous posts, investigating all MMOs will introduce new variables to the study, which affects the generalization of study results. 

Because you are trying to push the results toward whatever thesis you are trying to prove?