Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by heider89
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/08/13/new-updates-coming-to-star-wars-the-old-republic-gamescom-2014

Fake it must be a hacked live stream *wink*

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    It is how successful f2p works. Tons of players but only a small percentage actually fund the bulk of the income. Only a small percentage of those players could be considered dedicated end game players. All that matters is money though and their cash shop has proven to work ... it is a fucking annoying mess to play because of it, but it works.

You stay sassy!

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    LOL, if a million people log on every month, a million people also log off every month... doesn't really say much does it?
  • 0effort0effort Member Posts: 103

How many clicks though?

You what mate.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Is 1 mill monthly log ons a lot for a free to play game, especially one with Star Wars name attached to it?  Because league of legends has 12 million log ons "daily"
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    LOL, if a million people log on every month, a million people also log off every month... doesn't really say much does it?

It says a million players play each month. That's what it says.

Some games don't even have a million players.

All they are trying to say is that their game has some appeal.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    given that their f2p model is pretty crappy, I'd bet that's mostly subbed players.
  • TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by Robsolf
    given that their f2p model is pretty crappy, I'd bet that's mostly subbed players.

Now that you can buy account unlocks from the GTN for credits, it isn't too bad at all (if you have tons of creds that is).

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

It's a great game, I love it, I play it from launch and I don't think I will get ever bored of it. Happy to hear from EA main guy that game is doing great. Not that I do not know that as a fact LOL. Logging every day and seeing plenty of people around just confirms it.

And as someone says F2P is not bad, as you can get everything on galactic market for ingame credits.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

There are a lot of star wars fans in the world; and marketing goes a long way. Telling us 1 million are logging in each month is pretty lame data. Why not tell us how much $ the cash shop is generating; how many subs they have; how long their average customer sticks around, etc; how much $ they are getting per player, and the standard deviation.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Is 1 mill monthly log ons a lot for a free to play game, especially one with Star Wars name attached to it?  Because league of legends has 12 million log ons "daily"

Considering how crappy and limited F2P model of SWTOR is i don't believe that those are F2P players. So comparison with LOL is pointless.

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

It's a great game, I love it, I play it from launch and I don't think I will get ever bored of it. Happy to hear from EA main guy that game is doing great. Not that I do not know that as a fact LOL. Logging every day and seeing plenty of people around just confirms it.

And as someone says F2P is not bad, as you can get everything on galactic market for ingame credits.

Sorry that is false. The biggest blow for F2P player is credit limit. And you can not remove that through GTN or CC.

F2P is like a limited trial version good enough to play only storylines. Anything more and you are sevearly limited.

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Glad to see the game is still doing well.  I jump back to it every few months for a month or two.  If they ever change the ftp restrictions and improve on them then I would be back even more.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Sorry that is false. The biggest blow for F2P player is credit limit. And you can not remove that through GTN or CC.

F2P is like a limited trial version good enough to play only storylines. Anything more and you are sevearly limited.

And it should be. If you enjoy the game, you should support it.  I am saying though that those who prefer to grind credits as F2P can get the unlocks and other stuff. it is available for those who want to do that.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

And it should be. If you enjoy the game, you should support it.  I am saying though that those who prefer to grind credits as F2P can get the unlocks and other stuff. it is available for those who want to do that.

You said 'you can get everything'. i just wanted to correct that. Only way to raise credit cap is by subbing. 

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Peaked in on this one the other night.  Sucked me in.  I'm "premium" because of my initial CE purchase.  Apparently my security token since launch has been giving me free creds for all my inactive time.  I'm still looking at it so I'm not sure all the paywall implications yet but there's quite a bit that seems to have been resolved/added in 3 years.  

My ONE gripe... I lost Bob the Jedi.  I logged in during the initial wave of names and snagged Bob.  He has subsequently been lost to server merges.  I also lost Sgt. Shultz and Steve the Sith.

So many lost.  "as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror"

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

from their perspective, their F2P model is working as intended. it gets you playing the game and forces you to sub.

the better f2p models out there from a players perspective usually are tied to older or crappy games.

i haven't played SWTOR in a long while but i am happy people are still enjoying it.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If most of a million people logging in are subscribers, I would be pretty happy, if I were EA/Bioware.  It's not the 2 million that some dumb @ss executive predicted, but it's nothing to sneeze at either. :-)

The game has been at the "about a million people every month" for a long time now.  I did not particularly like it, either as a P2P or a F2P game, but they are obviously doing something right.  I could not tell you what it was, but it has to be something.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Arclan

There are a lot of star wars fans in the world; and marketing goes a long way. Telling us 1 million are logging in each month is pretty lame data. Why not tell us how much $ the cash shop is generating; how many subs they have; how long their average customer sticks around, etc; how much $ they are getting per player, and the standard deviation.

Help I'm burning like in episode 3 , so please see my posts from yonder months (even easier for you) , please be up to date and no I won't link 80% of your answers again *sighes*.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I played from beta to max level character. I found the replayability to be horrible. Going through the same side quest dialogue became monotonous and boring, so I quit. I tried again when it went F2P and it was way too restrictive. I may try it again someday, but I can't see me doing it anytime soon.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Arclan

They share that with the people that it matters to. Out of all of the things you mentioned, none is as helpful or relevant to a consumer as the data they shared. Monthly Active Users (MAU) is a good indication of the health of the game and its player population. One million MAU is pretty damn impressive.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Yet I wonder, did they really share the MAU, or did they tell is how many logins they had? ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Yet I wonder, did they really share the MAU, or did they tell is how many logins they had? ;)

the game failed and went off line over a year ago, everyone knows that right ? Everything since then has all just been made up numbers to hide it's loss from investors.....and aliens.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I can believe it.  A lot of people still haven't tried Swtor before.  I know someone who just started several weeks ago after trying GW2 for a couple months.  She actually loves swtor now.  It's not for me though, and i only play it occasionally because of another friend.  This doesn't mean these people stuck around though.  F2P literally saved swtor.

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    So is this just a million log ins or a million unique log ins?