Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thread for future Patches of the game as well as a glimpse into the expansion being announced in Oct

reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320

For all yinz out there that are enjoying the game and want to know more that is in store for this game, this lovely link was dropped on the subreddit. This is the translation from the Live Letter that was done a few weeks back and it tells what is in store for the coming patches, as well as what will be announced for the expansion during the Fan Fest.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/122723-FFXIV-A-Realm-Reborn-Articles-and-Translated-Interviews

Comments

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264
    great just fucking great...there introducing flying mounts....FUCK SAKES....first wow now this...guess ill find a diffrent mmo soon...fuckign flying mounts in a game ruin everything...the bring out bugs and make everything fuckign stupid easy....god dammit! fuck fuckign sakes.....
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

So how do you really feel?

What is the problem with the mounts?  How is a flying mount in a game that has teleports via the shards going to ruin it?

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Flying mounts make me think that the eastern continent will be more open world as in less zoning and larger zones. 

And its awsome that triple triad is coming too, I loved that card game back in FF8 and 9.  And I finally get to have a black chocobo.

Its looking great, thats a lot of shit coming out in the next few months.  I knew Lady Yugiri was going to be part of the Ninja Story line.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Scypheroth
    great just fucking great...there introducing flying mounts....FUCK SAKES....first wow now this...guess ill find a diffrent mmo soon...fuckign flying mounts in a game ruin everything...the bring out bugs and make everything fuckign stupid easy....god dammit! fuck fuckign sakes.....

So you do or you don't like flying mounts?

EQ2 has flying mounts. They're awesome.

FFXIV world isn,t really that big anyway, flying mounts will make it even smaller, as with all games these days, devs are bowing down to the casual crowd.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

So you do or you don't like flying mounts?

EQ2 has flying mounts. They're awesome.

FFXIV world isn,t really that big anyway, flying mounts will make it even smaller, as with all games these days, devs are bowing down to the casual crowd.

Lol! Just lol! How is it going to make the world smaller, while (like someone else already said) you can just insta teleport all over. /shrug

Plus the expansion is going to double size the entire current world.

I would love to have my own airship. That would be awesome! Or how about FP airships on which you can transport everyone. :)

Looking forward to it!

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Flying mounts make me think that the eastern continent will be more open world as in less zoning and larger zones. 

That would be my guess as well. I'm hopeful anyways. Personally don't mind flying mounts either way, so long as theres an airship :D

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

What is the eastern continent? Is that the Garlean empire?

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

What is the eastern continent? Is that the Garlean empire?

It is the "Mainland" you got stuff like Ala Mhigo just below the Garleans. So past that you have the main hub of the Garlean Empire.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by reploidx

For all yinz out there that are enjoying the game and want to know more that is in store for this game, this lovely link was dropped on the subreddit. This is the translation from the Live Letter that was done a few weeks back and it tells what is in store for the coming patches, as well as what will be announced for the expansion during the Fan Fest.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/122723-FFXIV-A-Realm-Reborn-Articles-and-Translated-Interviews

Why does FF need flying mounts? It will be like piloting a plane in a habitrail.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by reploidx For all yinz out there that are enjoying the game and want to know more that is in store for this game, this lovely link was dropped on the subreddit. This is the translation from the Live Letter that was done a few weeks back and it tells what is in store for the coming patches, as well as what will be announced for the expansion during the Fan Fest.   http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/122723-FFXIV-A-Realm-Reborn-Articles-and-Translated-Interviews
    Why does FF need flying mounts? It will be like piloting a plane in a habitrail.

Its for content that occurs while on an ariship and also content that requires an airship to experience. Basically, its new content, and airships are the vehicle to said new content.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

So, if you are saying that it's only in the new content, like the way WoW did it with TBC at 1st, then That makes sense. 

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Why are you surprised?

Did you not check your mount window, on the mount TYPE it says Terrestrian ?

That was a clear giveaway that in order for them to bother to classify mounts, there would be in the future other types of mounts, be it Aquatic or Flying mounts.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Lol! Just lol! How is it going to make the world smaller, while (like someone else already said) you can just insta teleport all over. /shrug

Teleporting gets you to specific points, from which you then have to run on foot.. and it's already not very far, considering the areas aren't really that large to begin with, and aetheryte crystals are pretty close together. 

The ability to fly will allow people to reduce the travel time significantly by simply flying over obstructions they'd normally have to run around on foot, dealing with aggro and other hazards along the way. A run that might take 5 minutes on foot, may only take 2 by air, for example. That certainly makes the world "smaller".  It's the difference between saying "as the crow flies" versus "as the wolf runs". 

...and the significance of that will immediately be lessened if people are able to simply hop on a flying mount and skip over all the terrain they'd otherwise have to navigate. 

Eorzea is not all that large, nor terribly cumbersome to get around as it is. Introducing flying mounts really doesn't serve any "need" that exists. If we were talking FFXI's world, or the areas in FFXIV 1.0-1.23... yeah.. those were much larger and took much more time to get across. But ARR's? They're a short stroll already, by comparison. Frankly, if flying mounts are being added, it may as well be because "it's what WoW has", since that game has been been a major blueprint for ARR since Yoshi-P took over  - and he's indicated as much himself in past interviews.

Flying mounts make the world smaller. It's how it goes, with any MMO. ARR would be no exception. Just because it's ARR, doesn't make it any different.

That said, I did notice a post on Reddit discussing this, where someone puts it into a different context, based on translation of what Yoshi-P actually said in Japanese... It may actually have larger implications than just flying mounts... at least in terms of flying around the current world.

Here's the excerpt:

And just to provide some additional consideration, the exact language used by Yoshida in Japanese is most likely interpreted as "whether we wanted to (theme-wise) dive (underwater) or fly (into the sky), and we decided to fly".

So the correct assumption here is as Aenemius said above: the theme for for the expansion will involve the sky (most likely travelling to a floating destination), not the actual ability to fly (although I could foresee the travel requiring your own airship that you need to build in your personal/FC workshop).

So there's that to consider...

Personally, the prospect of an entire region in the sky is far more interesting to me than merely getting flying mounts to get around even faster on the ground. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

It kind of funny that people think they are going to be on flying mounts in those tiny little zones haha. No, the expansion is air themed. Guilds are going to be able to craft airships and there will be new content that utilizes them.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Foomerang

It kind of funny that people think they are going to be on flying mounts in those tiny little zones haha. No, the expansion is air themed. Guilds are going to be able to craft airships and there will be new content that utilizes them.

If it does, in fact, require an airship to be built to get there, I can just about imagine the fall out when it's made official.

"What? So I have to be part of a FC that can build an airship to get to this content? That's not fair!"

I personally would think it was awesome. I'm sure, again if it's the case, that people will be given adequate advanced notice so their respective FCs could begin work on building one, in time for the exp's release. At least I'd imagine so.

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Teleporting gets you to specific points, from which you then have to run on foot.. and it's already not very far, considering the areas aren't really that large to begin with, and aetheryte crystals are pretty close together. 

The ability to fly will allow people to reduce the travel time significantly by simply flying over obstructions they'd normally have to run around on foot, dealing with aggro and other hazards along the way. A run that might take 5 minutes on foot, may only take 2 by air, for example. That certainly makes the world "smaller".  It's the difference between saying "as the crow flies" versus "as the wolf runs". 

...and the significance of that will immediately be lessened if people are able to simply hop on a flying mount and skip over all the terrain they'd otherwise have to navigate. 

Eorzea is not all that large, nor terribly cumbersome to get around as it is. Introducing flying mounts really doesn't serve any "need" that exists. If we were talking FFXI's world, or the areas in FFXIV 1.0-1.23... yeah.. those were much larger and took much more time to get across. But ARR's? They're a short stroll already, by comparison. Frankly, if flying mounts are being added, it may as well be because "it's what WoW has", since that game has been been a major blueprint for ARR since Yoshi-P took over  - and he's indicated as much himself in past interviews.

Flying mounts make the world smaller. It's how it goes, with any MMO. ARR would be no exception. Just because it's ARR, doesn't make it any different.

That said, I did notice a post on Reddit discussing this, where someone puts it into a different context, based on translation of what Yoshi-P actually said in Japanese... It may actually have larger implications than just flying mounts... at least in terms of flying around the current world.

Here's the excerpt:

And just to provide some additional consideration, the exact language used by Yoshida in Japanese is most likely interpreted as "whether we wanted to (theme-wise) dive (underwater) or fly (into the sky), and we decided to fly".

So the correct assumption here is as Aenemius said above: the theme for for the expansion will involve the sky (most likely travelling to a floating destination), not the actual ability to fly (although I could foresee the travel requiring your own airship that you need to build in your personal/FC workshop).

So there's that to consider...

Personally, the prospect of an entire region in the sky is far more interesting to me than merely getting flying mounts to get around even faster on the ground. 

Just to add to this. It is being hinted at that we will not be playing in Eorzea for long. We may possibly be going into Garlean territory, which will add even more areas that could be much bigger than Eorzea itself. But that could be way later down the road.