Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Square Enix Enjoys Strong Financial Results, Raises Forecast"

GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/06/square-enix-enjoys-strong-financial-results-raises-forecast?abthid=53e20fe7a6e3e8f84a000004

I had no idea things were doing that much better for Square Enix.  It was mentioned that much of it is thanks to FFXIV.  Hopefully more companies will go with subscription only in the future.  Gratz to Yoshi-P and Square Enix!  I'm sure I will keep my account going for a long time to come.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    XIV is a part of it but probably only like quarter of it. Even if it was more, you can't say all companies should try to stick with subscriptions, because many do try, but they dont have alot of other things to back up possible failure like SE does. Which is the reason why XI is still subscription even though most of the servers are dead. That coupled with selling the product. Honestly, XIV sells for the price of a sub most times.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    XIV is a part of it but probably only like quarter of it. Even if it was more, you can't say all companies should try to stick with subscriptions, because many do try, but they dont have alot of other things to back up possible failure like SE does. Which is the reason why XI is still subscription even though most of the servers are dead. That coupled with selling the product. Honestly, XIV sells for the price of a sub most times.

It's just my opinion.. I'm a huge fan of old school sub games where you have 100% access to everything the game offers for one low fee.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• Logos1326Logos1326 Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by Albatroes

It's just my opinion.. I'm a huge fan of old school sub games where you have 100% access to everything the game offers for one low fee.

One of the bigger reasons why I just cancelled my other sub+cash shop games and subbed to FF14.

• AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69
    i also think its so successful because they have a wider range of ppl playing..most mmos stick with just pc users...FFXIV is a Console/ PC mmo..and on top of that they bring them together..some console players just cant afford the best pc . to play the best mmos at the best settings. Console users don't have alot of MMOs to go by..and so far its only playstation providing MMOs for the Console player..(get with it microsoft stop being so stingy with ur servers and  share for christ sake). Not to mention the game is just so good...i think Elder scrolls would be a more successful game, it will prolly still suck for a while, but it would bring in more money if they not just allow console players to play but combine the servers so that console players can play with the pc players...i dont see that happening though.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I imagine their next financial quarter will be further bolstered by the release in China.
  • GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

Must have been a lot of Asian market & console versions sold, because the PC version was awfully boring.

Our guild of 35 strong moved to try it from swtor/gw2 and lasted 1 month (some like myself and the missus lasted 2).

All we ever saw was a zerg army of console players running around zones doing events. /boring!

The game looked nice though, just didn't suck anyone in. :(

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by GregorMcgregor

Must have been a lot of Asian market & console versions sold, because the PC version was awfully boring.

Our guild of 35 strong moved to try it from swtor/gw2 and lasted 1 month (some like myself and the missus lasted 2).

All we ever saw was a zerg army of console players running around zones doing events. /boring!

Maybe FFXIV just wasnt for you and your friends. I have had the opposite experience: I returned, I was able to get a friend to join recently, a lot of people on my friends list from launch are still playing, and the servers are all still pretty packed with people. Different games for different people, i guess. Having also been a huge GW/GW2 fan I can tell you this much, that the kind of people who play GW2 and the kind of people who play FFXIV are two polar opposite kinds of gamers. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    This game is the defintion of themepark, But its still a blast to play. I recently came back after the free weekend and have been really enjoying my time in the game. Even though i am still not 50 i love the hunts they added. Something is really awesome about being out in the world farming mats and all of a sudden a hunting party of 20 people going flying by.... For a game with such limited exploration it is very immersive.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• GravehillGravehill Member Posts: 95

Uh no, the game has done extremely well in NA and europe. There are a bunch of NA servers that are still locked out of making new characters due to population. It sounds like you barely actually played the game, and how would you know who is playing on console or not? It sold the most on PC by far.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Its also thanks to Western market equally too

http://xivsoul.com/

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/06/square-enix-enjoys-strong-financial-results-raises-forecast?abthid=53e20fe7a6e3e8f84a000004

I had no idea things were doing that much better for Square Enix.  It was mentioned that much of it is thanks to FFXIV.  Hopefully more companies will go with subscription only in the future.  Gratz to Yoshi-P and Square Enix!  I'm sure I will keep my account going for a long time to come.

No sorry nothing like that was mentioned in that article.

In the three month period ending June 20, the company pulled in ¥37.8 billion in revenue.  Are you telling us that much of that 37.8 billion is due to FFXIV? how much exactly? talk about completely twisting the article.

I understand if you hold a personal disdain for F2P model but why twist the words and use the article to push your own agenda? this is why you can never trust these forums.

You have no idea how huge SE is and is not dependent upon FFXIV MMO to earn profit. The money they make of FFXIV subs  is like a drop in ocean compared to their console games and toys/accessories revenue. 

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

In the three month period ending June 20, the company pulled in ¥37.8 billion in revenue.  Are you telling us that much of that 37.8 billion is due to FFXIV? how much exactly? talk about completely twisting the article.

I understand if you hold a personal disdain for F2P model but why twist the words and use the article to push your own agenda? this is why you can never trust these forums.

You have no idea how huge SE is and is not dependent upon FFXIV MMO to earn profit. The money they make of FFXIV subs  is like a drop in ocean compared to their console games and toys/accessories revenue. 

Prior to FFXIV's re-release, they were losing money each financial quarter.  After FFXIV released in August of 2013, the company has made a profit.  

Here are the previous financial reports.

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/14q3release.pdf

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/14q4earnings.pdf

They have hundreds of software titles if you include apps, games on phones, digital media, yet they go out of their way to talk about FFXIV.

• ZergyZergy Member UncommonPosts: 73

Now if only they'd release Dragon Quest X outside of Japan.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Actually it may not be far from the truth, since in 2012 SE said that their most profitable title in the final fantasy series was Final Fantasy 11 their older mmo.  So its not hard to imagine in present time that Final Fantasy XIV could be one of their most profitable games out right now for them, especially because XIV is much more accessible because of their themepark design than 11 was.

Heres the link to that  though http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/24/the-most-profitable-final-fantasy-of-all-time-is

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

I think you are the first person, to which I have read a post that stopped playing an MMO because the activities of the people around you bored you. Congratz!

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

First the NA and Euro servers a packed with peoples, not just asian, Secondly.. how can i say this? How can the pc version can be boring but the console not?? IT CANT because that the same game..image

If the PC version is boring for YOU the console will too.

Again why console player? how can you know the difference? Do you play a mmo just to see other player and not playing yourself? well now i understand why this is boring.

This game maibe not for you but at least say something who make sense when explaining why you dont like it.

Maibe you prefer swotor or gw2 and that ok but a lot of people like me is enjoying this game.

For the OP im not surprise. This game is pretty good.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by ZizouX

Prior to FFXIV's re-release, they were losing money each financial quarter.  After FFXIV released in August of 2013, the company has made a profit.  

They have hundreds of software titles if you include apps, games on phones, digital media, yet they go out of their way to talk about FFXIV.

Once again..37.8 billion is the amount. No body bothered to touch the point i was trying to make. OP is twisting the original article. I don't care if you are a huge FFXIV fan or not. But can anyone seriously say with a straight face that 37.8 billion in profit 'much of which is' thanks to FFXIV? i mean come on. Even WOW doesn't generate that kind of profit and it is the number one MMO in terms of subscriptions.

OP was trying to twist the article to show that 37.8 billion amount is largely due to success of FFXIV. Who in their right mind would agree to that?

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Yoshi P is love, Yoshi P is life.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

Doesn't surprise me. FFXIV ARR was my favorite MMORPG released in the past decade. It was a well put together, solid MMORPG with a great community. Had I just started MMORPG's and FFXIV was my first, i would have loved it.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by ZizouX

Once again..37.8 billion is the amount. No body bothered to touch the point i was trying to make. OP is twisting the original article. I don't care if you are a huge FFXIV fan or not. But can anyone seriously say with a straight face that 37.8 billion in profit 'much of which is' thanks to FFXIV? i mean come on. Even WOW doesn't generate that kind of profit and it is the number one MMO in terms of subscriptions.

OP was trying to twist the article to show that 37.8 billion amount is largely due to success of FFXIV. Who in their right mind would agree to that?

You do grasp that the figure is in yens, right? And that 1 yen =/= 1 dollar?

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230
    I came back to FFXIV 2 days ago and Balmung had a queue! I was so surprised. It also has a character creation  restriction.

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

• lobotarulobotaru Member UncommonPosts: 165

The success of this game is more due to its marketing than the quality of the product. Plus it feels almost impossible to figure out what the active subscription numbers are for PC gamers because they are making no effort to release that data. Its like someone has to pry that information from their cold, dead fingers before we'd ever know how the game is really fairing.

From my experience its not doing good. Its only gaining subs because they keep releasing it on different consoles and countries at a rapid, well calculated pace, so they keep replacing the subscribers that leave.

The difficulty curve is set tremendously low, but then goes really high for end game, leaving no middle ground for gamers to congregate around. They're rapidly inflating ilvl, making every dungeon a claustrophic corridor designed to mindlessly blow through for loot, and the raiding is rather bland (remember the old days when you had to watch action bars for 50% or more of the fight to make sure you don't miss a boss cast that can wipe the party? You will remember them after trying to play FFXIV).

The game teases depth through the ability to level any class/job and a cross-class skill system, but then fails to deliver on that at end game. Due to lockouts, players get stuck playing one job as their main (as usual), but have no way to really personalize that character's rotation or abilities in creative ways.

So anyway, that's the reason they are releasing it so fast on different consoles. They know the game's end game doesn't hold the attention of gamers for more than a month on average, so they keep planning the releases to ensure stable profits. That's my opinion anyway.

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

I am glad this game is doing well and I am enjoying playing it.  I really didn't have much hope but was looking for something after the let down of TESO and tried it on a whim.  Haven't looked back, been playing now for 3+ months and have no indication that I will stop soon.

I understand the game is on rails to a point but it offers so much that myself along with a few friends are having fun.  Anyway hope this game stays around and does well for a few years.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Good to hear that SE is profiting off their gamble to remake FFXIV.  I have been enjoying the game and will continue to do so.

Really looking forward to the Ninja job being released with 2.4

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by lobotaru

From my experience its not doing good. Its only gaining subs because they keep releasing it on different consoles and countries at a rapid, well calculated pace, so they keep replacing the subscribers that leave.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the game's retention rate has been reported to be significantly higher than the average of any post-2008 MMO out there. However that's only the game's producer's experience and what would he know, right? When we have lobotaru to tell us how it is.

Maybe the majority of players simply do not see the game the way you do through your cynical lenses. That's okay though, you don't have to be in denial about the game's success.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".