Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this game will be huge in WEST

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by Randayn
    Originally posted by Fingz

I think ArcheAge's big advantage is that  it's different from the other games out now.  A lot of people want something different so if the game is well made, it will find an audience.

people keep saying this and it makes no sense to me...

Darkfall - build ship, cities, mounts, pvp to your hearts content, don't have to level to 30 to be able to experience the game...P2P, no LP or anything close to it.

Mortal Online - FTP and PTP, crafting that, dare I say, cannot be beat, animal taming (becoming a mount at times), FFA PVP, land control wars....again...NO LP or anything close to it

Age of Wushu - FTP and PTP, crafting, routes, faction war...blah blah....no LP or anything close to it

Those are 3 games made in the past 5 (?) years that are just like AA and provide much of the same things other than farming.  There is nothing unique about this type of game...used to be, not anymore.  

A game that I would consider RARE and UNIQUE would be a game like SWG and the upcoming "The Repopulation"...where it's sandbox/sandpark, but PVP IS NOT God.

The main difference is that Archeage is made by a huge studio.  I've never played Wushu but the 2 others aren't polished.

The other difference is Archeage isn't full loot, so compared to Darkfall and Mortal Online, it's much less hardcore.  Plus there are tons of quests in Archeage, which many people don't like but it is something people are used to and it does help teach you about the game in-between the grind.

The unique part is how it combines all the different elements.  No game out is exactly like Archeage, so it's unique, but it's also polished and pretty newb-friendly.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by 7777

Age of Wushu - FTP and PTP, crafting, routes, faction war...blah blah....no LP or anything close to it

I'd just like to point out that Age of Wushu DOES have a system similar to Labor Points, known as Vigor.  It is required for crafting, and it is a limited amount of points that regenerate over time, with a daily cap.

my bad....I played wushu but not long enough to craft anything, so that's my fault...shoulda guessed though since it came from the East.   Sorry for the misinformation

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet

I think ArcheAge's big advantage is that  it's different from the other games out now.  A lot of people want something different so if the game is well made, it will find an audience.

Darkfall - build ship, cities, mounts, pvp to your hearts content, don't have to level to 30 to be able to experience the game...P2P, no LP or anything close to it.

Mortal Online - FTP and PTP, crafting that, dare I say, cannot be beat, animal taming (becoming a mount at times), FFA PVP, land control wars....again...NO LP or anything close to it

Those are 3 games made in the past 5 (?) years that are just like AA and provide much of the same things other than farming.  There is nothing unique about this type of game...used to be, not anymore.  

A game that I would consider RARE and UNIQUE would be a game like SWG and the upcoming "The Repopulation"...where it's sandbox/sandpark, but PVP IS NOT God.

The main difference is that Archeage is made by a huge studio.  I've never played Wushu but the 2 others aren't polished.

The other difference is Archeage isn't full loot, so compared to Darkfall and Mortal Online, it's much less hardcore.  Plus there are tons of quests in Archeage, which many people don't like but it is something people are used to and it does help teach you about the game in-between the grind.

The unique part is how it combines all the different elements.  No game out is exactly like Archeage, so it's unique, but it's also polished and pretty newb-friendly.

LOL...I've played several games by "huge studios" that although seem slightly more polished, are nothing more than polished turds.  If you played DF or MO and are a fan of this type of gameplay, you'd probably be singing a different toon.  Imma carebear supreme and spent 2 months in DF and 3 months in MO, frequenting both occassionally.  

The fact that AA has full world PVP without full loot is a negative to me.  It's sells itself short to the only people that wanna play the game...kinda sad for hardcore pvp'ers.  Does "you can't have the cake and eat it too" pop in your head like it does mine with this notion?

Please don't EVER mention the PVE in AA ever again...it's the worst PVE I've ever experienced besides other asian grinders i've played.  You can't count something that was half-assed as a BIG DRAW for a game....doesn't work that way.

No game is exactly like another.  That statement has been used to death for years and is nothing more than a rally cry for fanboys...Every game is unique in one way or another.  

One last thing, the PVE quests in AA don't teach you a damn thing about the game.  That was one of the biggest gripes....on the other side, DF, MO and Wushu have quests designed specifically to show you how to get started.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet

LOL...I've played several games by "huge studios" that although seem slightly more polished, are nothing more than polished turds.  If you played DF or MO and are a fan of this type of gameplay, you'd probably be singing a different toon.  Imma carebear supreme and spent 2 months in DF and 3 months in MO, frequenting both occassionally.  

The fact that AA has full world PVP without full loot is a negative to me.  It's sells itself short to the only people that wanna play the game...kinda sad for hardcore pvp'ers.  Does "you can't have the cake and eat it too" pop in your head like it does mine with this notion?

Please don't EVER mention the PVE in AA ever again...it's the worst PVE I've ever experienced besides other asian grinders i've played.  You can't count something that was half-assed as a BIG DRAW for a game....doesn't work that way.

No game is exactly like another.  That statement has been used to death for years and is nothing more than a rally cry for fanboys...Every game is unique in one way or another.  

One last thing, the PVE quests in AA don't teach you a damn thing about the game.  That was one of the biggest gripes....on the other side, DF, MO and Wushu have quests designed specifically to show you how to get started.

If you're a big fan of the gameplay in Darkfall/Mortal Online you probably won't like Archeage because it's also very different.

The PVE quests do teach you how to set up craft and farm and are a way to level up.  I quit Darkfall because the way to level was to spam a spell at a mob for a month so I could use it against real players.

It's not necessarily a big draw but it's different than Darkfall/Mortal Online, and it's what people are used to.

You're whole point was that Archeage isn't unique because Darkfall/Mortal Online is out.  Anyone that's played these games knows they're very different.  Full loot 1st person FFA vs. Archeage?  The games are barely comparable.

And polish is important.  Things look and feel better, not to mention there usually aren't game-breaking bugs and exploits running rampant.

And sorry but most games are exactly the same, almost all of them WoW-clones, and on the other side you have things like Darkfall.  Archeage is somewhere in between, with a dose of Farmville for flavor.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476

I think they will do very well in the west. I will play it but tbh I just dont like the Asian style of artcraft. I think EQN will be a little better in the west because of the way it looks, also so will games like no man's sky.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Originally posted by syriinx

Originally posted by bayareamj Game ill do aliright.  It wont be huge.  No endgame raiding, brutal pvp, average PvE.

Average PvE? Which AAA games is it actually better than PvE wise?

Of course its not trying to be a good PvE game. Which is why it will never be huge in the west. Which is inconsequential, because it doesn't have to be. Its a niche game that will make a lot of people in its niche happy.

Daoc Shadowbane COH Warhammer AOC TSW Terra Wildstar  and Rift just to name a few

Ill give you shadowbane (which I never played but know it was a PvP game) but that's about it.

Maybe TSW too because of lousy combat.

But no on all the others, far various reasons. 

AAs PvE is lackluster.

And thats ok

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451

The doubts I have about this game are more that will you be able to have a nice community . From what I hear from friends that are in the beta its one of the best mmos in a long time . 

And for all those that don't think a pvp based mmo could do well if it really caught on just look at the moba league of legends . It just takes an mmo to do it right . 

Having said that I wouldn't really want to play an mmo that has a community like league of legends . 

Originally posted by greatskys   And for all those that don't think a pvp based mmo could do well if it really caught on just look at the moba league of legends . It just takes an mmo to do it right .       

We know people love controlled PvP. MOBAs, FPSs, battlegrounds (and arenas) etc

There is a rather huge difference between controlled PvP and open world rpg PvP.

Originally posted by greatskys   And for all those that don't think a pvp based mmo could do well if it really caught on just look at the moba league of legends . It just takes an mmo to do it right .       

There is a rather huge difference between controlled PvP and open world rpg PvP.

The first MMO's that came out are still some of the best that people still love. Will this game  be as big as WoW, maybe more than likely not, there are way to many people that want to hold ands and kill NPC's than ever risk losing anything. Games like EVE, SWG, UO, Shadowbane all did well, 3 of those 4 fail for many of reason none of which have anything to do with open world pvp. Mater of fact all 2 of those 4 that failed did so to try and please the pve gamers. The other failed due to bad programming and plagued with simple exe. errors. EVE never changed anything and kept improving on what players wanted, so they are still around and doing better than any MMO out their when you compare straight growth numbers ( not amount of money made). 

This game will do very well and I hope it pulls in all those UO, DoCa, Shadowbane, SWG players and give them a real home raither than just settling for a lot less.

Originally posted by Hellidol

The first MMO's that came out are still some of the best that people still love. Will this game  be as big as WoW, maybe more than likely not, there are way to many people that want to hold ands and kill NPC's than ever risk losing anything. Games like EVE, SWG, UO, Shadowbane all did well, 3 of those 4 fail for many of reason none of which have anything to do with open world pvp. Mater of fact all 2 of those 4 that failed did so to try and please the pve gamers. The other failed due to bad programming and plagued with simple exe. errors. EVE never changed anything and kept improving on what players wanted, so they are still around and doing better than any MMO out their when you compare straight growth numbers ( not amount of money made). 

This game will do very well and I hope it pulls in all those UO, DoCa, Shadowbane, SWG players and give them a real home raither than just settling for a lot less.

Im confused as to why you have SWG in there, SWG was a predominantly PvE game that happened to have the best way of handling a PvP/PvE mix.  EvE is also its own animal, part space sim (which is a severely underrepresented genre, just look at the star citizen backing)

I do think a PvP game can do ok though.  I could see it attracting 150-200k patrons which is better than most games do now.  The PvP does limit its upside, a well made PvE sandbox could get 500k+ in today's market. 

I do think a PvP game can do ok though.  I could see it attracting 150-200k patrons which is better than most games do now.  The PvP does limit its upside, a well made PvE sandbox could get 500k+ in today's market. 

This will always be true, games that have risk reward in their system and not no risk all reward are always going to pull in less numbers. Archeage will be fine even tho it has a little of both, in the west most like the all reward no risk, thats why Archeage has little risk lots of reward. The only issue I can see with this MMO is from what i understand Korean players tend to play well together while people from the west often step on each other to get to the top, thats why the west likes no risk all reward. People will have to worth together in this game and not stab each other in the back, when certain players start to understand that wont see the fun in playing.

• ArcheAge2014ArcheAge2014 Member UncommonPosts: 135

I mean which mmorpg right now lets you upgrade your ships defense and weaponary? or even customize your own ships?

everythign in game is craftable there is no limitations or restrictions, if its in game its craftable.

:D i rest my case.

world of warcraft had steampunk motorcycles do you see them complaining?

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Originally posted by Kangaroomouse

----

There is no way to do even the quests that require you to use LP (crafting introduction, trade pack introduction and level 20 armor quests) because you don't have enough LP by the time you need it.

You don't do the Level 20 armor quests anymore ,,,,,,move along sad little mouse

He's almost certainly referring to the Dewstone armor crafting quests, which cost 200 labor each to complete after the 1.2 update. They did exist in CBE1, so I abandoned them and waited for the free quests reward armor you get soon after. The quests still existed in CBE2 but I automatically declined them as I assumed they still needed a ludicrous amount of labor to complete. Did it change in that version?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Im confused as to why you have SWG in there, SWG was a predominantly PvE game that happened to have the best way of handling a PvP/PvE mix.  EvE is also its own animal, part space sim (which is a severely underrepresented genre, just look at the star citizen backing)

PVP was a really small part of SWG for that matter, not the main focus of the game, i don't really see Archeage having any appeal in those terms, as it is neither SciFi nor PvE orientated and it certainly is nowhere near as 'sandboxy' as SWG was. But i don't really see Archeage being a mainstream game, it doesn't have the broad appeal that you normally associate with AAA MMO's and its focus is far narrower than many of the more recent MMO releases, even ESO has more of a PVE focus than Archeage does, even though i have no doubt it is in fact a AAA rated MMO, its preponderance of focus towards PvP especially in the manner in which it is carried out, will likely not appeal to many.

If it had a PVE server i'd probably give it a try when it comes out, but not under any other circumstancesimage

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    some ppl like tis but majority wont. its just pvp and farming.
  • sn072856sn072856 Member UncommonPosts: 56

OP:  you may be right, but I don't think so..

after an hour in the beta I went back to playing my regular games.

Its all subjective (no accounting for personal taste) but it just didn't do anything for me that hasn't been done before and better

in my subjective opinion, if a game can't catch player in the first couple hours, it's chances of success become ....  'limited'....

(personal opinion).

I wish them luck, but the best thing I saw in this game was the promo video...  (promo video was very good...)

I have a life, its just different from yours.....

• maple2maple2 Member UncommonPosts: 161
    nope it will fail... it already failed in asian.. so why the hell would it work in Eu..
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    I see this being about as popular as Wildstar.
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

You just dont know russian gamers mentality. Its popular in our country because there are alot of PvP oriented clans who LOVE to gank people and grind for days to achieve their goals. Also Archeage was hyped 24/7 by the biggest russian MMORPG site, which lead to huge crowds with thousand queues when game was released.

Western audience is much less hardcore, game didnt have as much attention, so I doubt Archeage will get same amount of popularity. Afterall Archeage offers literally nothing except clan wars.

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

Afterall Archeage offers literally nothing except clan wars.

Thanks for showing us how little (or absolutely 0?) you know about the game.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Judging by how it took me five minutes to be hand-held down a road, find a quest hub where I was told to kill X boars, and autouninstall the game at that point, yes, this game will be a huge success.

I'm sure some people will play it. Especially those that like to pay to win for unearned recognition.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Originally posted by Alber_gamer

Judging by how it took me five minutes to be hand-held down a road, find a quest hub where I was told to kill X boars, and autouninstall the game at that point, yes, this game will be a huge success.

I'm sure some people will play it. Especially those that like to pay to win for unearned recognition.

I think my comment above can easily apply to you too.

The comment above would be relevant if the game was worth learning what it is about, not something I've played 3 million times already, with dated graphics and pay to win.

Next game, please.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Originally posted by Alber_gamer

The comment above would be relevant if the game was worth learning what it is about, not something I've played 3 million times already, with dated graphics and pay to win.

Next game, please.

So you admit you know nothing of the game; but still somehow manage to know what it is about? That's some esper powers right there.

That's a pretty silly thing to say. Tried the game, saw the same old music playing, uninstalled it. The only thing I regret of AA is not selling the key on eBay. 

My apologies for not spending 20,000 hours to really learn the essence of the game. But time is a finite resource for humans, and ArcheAge hasn't proven worth of mine. There are thousands of games out there asking for an opportunity to be played that offer better forms of entertainment and don't resort to the good old "pay to win" or "kill 5 boars". I hope you can understand, if you do not, I can't bother to explain it a third time.