Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New trait acquisition

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

i really love the new acquisition they added for newly created characters..

You dont get the traits for free anymore (except for sPvP) you can either buy them, but my favourite way is acquiring them by finishing certain feats, this gives people a reason to play, if you played trough the pesonal story a few times, just following the feats to get all your traits is a fantastic way to travel the world...  

No cheating required, your traits indicate what action you need to perform...  It works perfect for me, traveling and roaming trough the world in search of new and more traits..  and for people that dont like this, they just can buy all the traits for like 42 gold and 360 skillpoints...

I hope that soon they will add more skills and traits, that can be acquired in such a way, by finishing some feats, or quests and then paying for them in skillpoints, a combination of the 2 above...  It would be the very welcome vertical progression system...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Agreed, it is way more fun than the original system but I wish they skipped the option to buy the traits for gold. That means any bad player just can buy some gems, exchange them and get all the traits for his/her character instead of actually being forced to learn how to play to get them (and it isn't really that hard either).

Skip that and let us get the new skills that will come the same way.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Yes I agree even if I didn't get to use the new system since all my chars are already lvl 80 but it's a good way to check out the world and get something meaningfull as a reward.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie
    Yes I agree even if I didn't get to use the new system since all my chars are already lvl 80 but it's a good way to check out the world and get something meaningfull as a reward.

Might be worth doing a new alt then (and set yourself on not actually buying any traits but earning them). Then again, a new expansion will hopefully get us a new class or 2 anyways and at least the Chinese players got this from launch.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    im sorry but could someone explaine what the OP means exaclly? i know you dont get trait points till 30 now, but is there soemthign im missing? (oh and the fact it does not take 5 points for 1 increese)

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by jircris
    im sorry but could someone explaine what the OP means exaclly? i know you dont get trait points till 30 now, but is there soemthign im missing? (oh and the fact it does not take 5 points for 1 increese)

From 30 to 80 you get a total of 14 trait points...

Minor traits are still set and for free..

but there are now 13 major traits for each line, still in 3 steps.  All these major traits use to come for free as soon as you got access to the stage...  But nowerdays you either need to perform a certain deed to get access to a major trait or buy it for  skillpoints and gold..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Loke666

Might be worth doing a new alt then (and set yourself on not actually buying any traits but earning them). Then again, a new expansion will hopefully get us a new class or 2 anyways and at least the Chinese players got this from launch.

The game does not need any more basic classes, i am hoping that they will add  a  kind of hero class system, where each class gets 5 hero choices....  Each hero choice gets new traits, skills and a weapon...  Players can gain skills and traits in all 5 hero choices., but only have one traitline active with 3 extra traits....  Also every weapon/comb would get a 6th skill, which vrafters can add to these weapons (new craft)  and then  there would be a 4th utillity slot...

this is just an example, but i really hope they add more depth to the excisting classes instead of just adding more classes

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

You dont get the traits for free anymore (except for sPvP) you can either buy them, but my favourite way is acquiring them by finishing certain feats, this gives people a reason to play, if you played trough the pesonal story a few times, just following the feats to get all your traits is a fantastic way to travel the world...  

No cheating required, your traits indicate what action you need to perform...  It works perfect for me, traveling and roaming trough the world in search of new and more traits..  and for people that dont like this, they just can buy all the traits for like 42 gold and 360 skillpoints...

I hope that soon they will add more skills and traits, that can be acquired in such a way, by finishing some feats, or quests and then paying for them in skillpoints, a combination of the 2 above...  It would be the very welcome vertical progression system...

I'm amazed this hasn't been mentioned before.

Are you saying you can now, 'buy', trait points? Let me guess it's optional though right? Because there's some ridiculous amount of grinding you can do to acquire them?

I wonder if the, 'the cash shop is optional', argument can be rescinded now...oh no, wait no need it's ANET, they get a free pass on this site, they'd never do anything shady to get cash from you...

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Omnifish

Are you saying you can now, 'buy', trait points? Let me guess it's optional though right? Because there's some ridiculous amount of grinding you can do to acquire them?

I wonder if the, 'the cash shop is optional', argument can be rescinded now...oh no, wait no need it's ANET, they get a free pass on this site, they'd never do anything shady to get cash from you...

There is stuff like:

Defeat the Karka Queen.

Complete the Personal Story Step "Light in the Darkness".

Get 100% in Harathi Hinterlands.

Complete Obsidium Sanctum Jumping puzzle.

Complete Cadecaus Manor in Normal Mode.

Find the great chest in Windy Cave.

If there is anything that you don't want to do you can spend some coin and skill points - the most expensive ones are the XIIIs at 3 gold and 20 skill points a pop. The XIs and XIIs are 1.5 gold and 10 skill points. 

VIIs-IXs are 50s and 5 skill points a pop and  Ix-VIs are 10s and 2 skill points.

Hardly a big grind.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Originally posted by Omnifish

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus i really love the new acquisition they added for newly created characters..   You dont get the traits for free anymore (except for sPvP) you can either buy them, but my favourite way is acquiring them by finishing certain feats, this gives people a reason to play, if you played trough the pesonal story a few times, just following the feats to get all your traits is a fantastic way to travel the world...   No cheating required, your traits indicate what action you need to perform...  It works perfect for me, traveling and roaming trough the world in search of new and more traits..  and for people that dont like this, they just can buy all the traits for like 42 gold and 360 skillpoints...   I hope that soon they will add more skills and traits, that can be acquired in such a way, by finishing some feats, or quests and then paying for them in skillpoints, a combination of the 2 above...  It would be the very welcome vertical progression system...

Even you don't know anything about the new trait system, you can easily bash ANet with just one quote that you get from this thread. Seriously where does this hate come from? There is nothing you can call grind at this system. Actually if you did play Guild Wars 1 before you'd know how this system works. It is quite fun and very similar to Guild Wars skill system.. And even you don't wanna do them you just need to spend 42 gold for all your traits. Seriously you are crying because 42 gold fee? 30 min gameplay at the end game or simple 1-80 leveling progress and you got your 50 gold in an instant. Again are you serious?

• KilawuaKilawua Member Posts: 52

Gold and skillpoints are both non-premium currencies. You don't buy traitpoints, you unlock options of where you want to put them. Buying trait points is for people with multiple characters who don't want to unlock them through dong the same objectives over and over. No grind. Some people won't miss a chance to try and bash certain games..... -.-

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    It would have been a fine idea had it been in at launch.

Now it's just a hassle for someone who's played through the content already a dozen times before.

Just goes to show that ANet does not care about its existing customers and is only interested in acquiring more.
  • OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell

Originally posted by Ludwik
    It would have been a fine idea had it been in at launch.Now it's just a hassle for someone who's played through the content already a dozen times before.Just goes to show that ANet does not care about its existing customers and is only interested in acquiring more.

[mod edit]

The big deal is you can buy that trait now as opposed to, you know, just earning. Giving this game a P2W element, sorry a second P2W now since the gold nerfs and gems exchanging on gear. Regardless of what way you spin it, it's still a P2W element. If I have more money then you, my character can become better then yours just by spending that money.

Is that wrong somehow? From a business pespective I'm not sure how much money it'll generate, which is why I feel that it'll probably get more, 'extensive', if the numbers don't add up. From a players perspective, it could help generate interest in revisiting certain areas, which is good thing, the bad thing is that it's still a monetisation on a key aspect of the game and could lead to some, 'panic', buying and resentment.

I said many years ago this game has to make money somehow, the route they chose would always leave them open to this sort of thing. The problem with this site is that there a very vocal minority who jump to GW2 defense in all things like their shareholders. I can't stop you from screaming how wrong I am more then you can stop others who are more critical.

For the record I do like the game, I just don't love it or a profit-making company, unconditionally..

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388

..profit-making company..

This, right here, made me laugh.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

Well they better make 3 new classes cause I have 174 tomes of knowledge in the bank :)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

The game does not need any more basic classes, i am hoping that they will add  a  kind of hero class system, where each class gets 5 hero choices....  Each hero choice gets new traits, skills and a weapon...  Players can gain skills and traits in all 5 hero choices., but only have one traitline active with 3 extra traits....  Also every weapon/comb would get a 6th skill, which vrafters can add to these weapons (new craft)  and then  there would be a 4th utillity slot...

this is just an example, but i really hope they add more depth to the excisting classes instead of just adding more classes

they can do both. I agree with you that the existing classes could use more depth to them, but the game is also missing a couple of classes from the original GW that were very very popular classes. I know they said they sort of mixed tohse classes to make new ones like the guardian, but the pure original classes still can result in a totally new and different class. The development path ANET have taken with GW2 lend itself to provide both more depth and new classes as well. IMO.

Originally posted by Wyrdfell

Originally posted by Ludwik
    It would have been a fine idea had it been in at launch.Now it's just a hassle for someone who's played through the content already a dozen times before.Just goes to show that ANet does not care about its existing customers and is only interested in acquiring more.

[mod edit]

The big deal is you can buy that trait now as opposed to, you know, just earning. Giving this game a P2W element, sorry a second P2W now since the gold nerfs and gems exchanging on gear. Regardless of what way you spin it, it's still a P2W element. If I have more money then you, my character can become better then yours just by spending that money.

Is that wrong somehow? From a business pespective I'm not sure how much money it'll generate, which is why I feel that it'll probably get more, 'extensive', if the numbers don't add up. From a players perspective, it could help generate interest in revisiting certain areas, which is good thing, the bad thing is that it's still a monetisation on a key aspect of the game and could lead to some, 'panic', buying and resentment.

I said many years ago this game has to make money somehow, the route they chose would always leave them open to this sort of thing. The problem with this site is that there a very vocal minority who jump to GW2 defense in all things like their shareholders. I can't stop you from screaming how wrong I am more then you can stop others who are more critical.

For the record I do like the game, I just don't love it or a profit-making company, unconditionally..

You can't buy traits only skills and that no different then before when you bought the book. But if you think it's p2w to buy skills for gold then there isn't many mmos out there that you can play. You almost always buys skills with gold doesn't mean you can buy every skill at level 1 and have them all at once you still have to level to be able to use them.

[mod edit]

Originally posted by rojoArcueid

they can do both. I agree with you that the existing classes could use more depth to them, but the game is also missing a couple of classes from the original GW that were very very popular classes. I know they said they sort of mixed tohse classes to make new ones like the guardian, but the pure original classes still can result in a totally new and different class. The development path ANET have taken with GW2 lend itself to provide both more depth and new classes as well. IMO.

I agree that the game we need more depth aswell. More classes more skills.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I'll have to check this out, thanks!

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    There is an anet tagged thread on trait changes on anets forums. Many, many valid issues about how the system does not work.

Not having access to traits until level thirty.

Not being able to unlock traits that you need, aka, adepts can be impossible to get at level, leaving players to only pick minor traits (lol)

Having traits supposedly acquirable, but in zones that are ten levels higher than you.

having to map complete the same zone with each character.

that's just a couple.

I love the concept, but it needs refinement. Lots of refinement.
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

There is stuff like:

Defeat the Karka Queen.

Complete the Personal Story Step "Light in the Darkness".

Get 100% in Harathi Hinterlands.

Complete Obsidium Sanctum Jumping puzzle.

Complete Cadecaus Manor in Normal Mode.

Find the great chest in Windy Cave.

If there is anything that you don't want to do you can spend some coin and skill points - the most expensive ones are the XIIIs at 3 gold and 20 skill points a pop. The XIs and XIIs are 1.5 gold and 10 skill points. 

VIIs-IXs are 50s and 5 skill points a pop and  Ix-VIs are 10s and 2 skill points.

Hardly a big grind.

Sorry, but that's really bad and breaks two of the game's original design commandments:

Thou shall not sell power.

Thou shall not gate character progression behind specific content.

The original point of Karma was to allow players to play the way they want to play and still get rewards on par with those traditionally reserved for dungeons/raids/quests. Great idea, but Karma has been greatly diminished since launch as a means of rewarding time spent playing, without forcing that time to be spent on specific content.

The original point to skill points was the same, but for character progression unlocks. Skill points challenges would  be diverse in nature and plentiful, so players could do the ones they wished and skip the ones they disliked, with no impact on the ability to progress.

A feat system as an means of trait unlocks is great, but the alternative should not require gold, skill points alone would be an acceptable alternative that doesn't require cash/ gold farming. The game was supposed to be anti-grind and pro-freedom. This new system is the opposite.

So why require gold at all? It's a clear cash grab, trying to force players to weigh hours of grinding content they dislike, vs. whipping out the wallet to buy the gems to convert to the gold they need to buy the trait.

The feat system is good design at it's core, but like so much regarding the game's ongoing development, there is always some catch, usually motivated by the cash shop, that taints an otherwise good feature.

GW2 had a lot more players and made a lot more revenue when cash shop/gem purchases where generated via good will and quality of the offerings, rather than becoming a means to buy your way out of new sets of inconveniences engineered into the game precisely to encourage you to spend cash to avoid them.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by fiontar

Sorry, but that's really bad and breaks two of the game's original design commandments:

Thou shall not sell power.

Thou shall not gate character progression behind specific content.

The original point of Karma was to allow players to play the way they want to play and still get rewards on par with those traditionally reserved for dungeons/raids/quests. Great idea, but Karma has been greatly diminished since launch as a means of rewarding time spent playing, without forcing that time to be spent on specific content.

The original point to skill points was the same, but for character progression unlocks. Skill points challenges would  be diverse in nature and plentiful, so players could do the ones they wished and skip the ones they disliked, with no impact on the ability to progress.

A feat system as an means of trait unlocks is great, but the alternative should not require gold, skill points alone would be an acceptable alternative that doesn't require cash/ gold farming. The game was supposed to be anti-grind and pro-freedom. This new system is the opposite.

So why require gold at all? It's a clear cash grab, trying to force players to weigh hours of grinding content they dislike, vs. whipping out the wallet to buy the gems to convert to the gold they need to buy the trait.

The feat system is good design at it's core, but like so much regarding the game's ongoing development, there is always some catch, usually motivated by the cash shop, that taints an otherwise good feature.

GW2 had a lot more players and made a lot more revenue when cash shop/gem purchases where generated via good will and quality of the offerings, rather than becoming a means to buy your way out of new sets of inconveniences engineered into the game precisely to encourage you to spend cash to avoid them.

The limiting factor for new players will be the skill points, not the gold.

But new players will acquire most by just playing.

Karma can be converted in gold and it just keep stacking.

Hours of grinding content that they dislike?

Like what?

Killing a boss in WvW? Completing an Open World area? Doing Personal Story steps? Killing a Open World boss? Doing a story mode dungeon?

I don't know where you getting the information the cash shop used to make more money since GW2 revenue has been pretty much flat.

Lets see:

1Q14 - $24.4M

4Q13 - $32.5M

3Q13 - $23.8M

2Q13 - $28M

1Q13 - $35.3M

I'm not a particular fan of this change, like I wasn't a fan of skill hunting in GW1, but many players asked for some sort of "skill hunting".

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

The new trait system is very flawed.  http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trait_guide

37 pages of valid and constructive feedback, and not a word from Anet.  https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Game-Updates-Traits/first

• It has Adept traits that require a lvl 55 story step!
    • A level 50 dungeon, Twilight Arbor, to unlock an Adept trait.
    • There are many traits that require events, which are broken, due to the Living Story.
    • It now costs more gold.

It's a very bad system for new players.  They now have to decide if they want to use their money and skill points, on utility skills or buying traits.  How would they even know which to choose if they are new?

Overall, it destroys experimentation, and becomes an unnecessary burden for alts.

It would've been fine, if they limited the unlocks to the new Grandmaster traits, but they royally screwed it up by locking all the traits behind a gated skill-point & gold sink.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I do like the new trait system. However, the some of the events required to unlock some traits (i.e. Lyssa) are too freaking difficult to get activated.

This was a similar problem with GW1's skill capture system which people seem to remember fondly for some reason...all I remember was having to run up snake dance multiple times to get one skill captured OR buy an elite tome.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2