Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I know how many people are frustrated by ESO and Wildstar. Come try Darkfall, a game for crafting, p

Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

I don't know how to describe it, you'd have to download and try the game.  

You start out with all your stats at basic levels, and as you progress, you increase the levels of your stats and abilities.  RATHER than leveling up, you put your points in the ability (for example 2h weapons, or agility, ETC).

Your armor and weapon matters, but not NEARLY as much as the person behind the controls.

Everything has purpose, all items, all loot, all harvested resources.  

When I first started gaming, many years ago 10+, I played runescape, it was the only game I had been introduced to.  I never really liked the combat of the game or the graphics, but I really enjoyed the freedom to do whatever you want any time you want and to change direction at any given time.

Strip the levels off that game so you're always level 1 no matter your stats, make it 3d, improve the graphics past GW2 levels, add open world pvp, add player owned villages and cities (that can be conquered) and you'll be doing darkfall injustice with the comparison.

Anyhow, I find people who haven't tried this game have such strong opinions about it, the reason I was reluctant to try it was the pvp loot system.  After playing the game for some time, the loot system is in perspective.  Taking a gank only sets you back about as badly as a soul sickness on WoW.  

The economy of this game is THRIVING.  Items have durability which can not be repaired.  Monsters drop the same items that can be crafted (although unreliably).  Every item dropped by a monster can be broken down into materials (random break down system), and used to craft a different item.

This means, although you're wearing a 15k set of armor and a 6k weapon, you are already invested in 3 more sets in your bank for the time when yours breaks or you get killed and looted.   When your best of the best armor and weapon is close to breaking, that's normally when you go PvP in it.  Or people who have less interest in pvp can just take it to the workbench and break it down into mats.

The music is wonderful, the scenery is wonderful, download it and give a try.  You might uninstall tomorrow, you might find a new love.  This isn't another half ass MMO with an item mall.

Comments

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I hesitated to try DF for years, I regret it.

Such a fantastic game, having such fun now.  Finally found my MMO that I've been looking for.

• GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87
    The game is amazing, but the community kills it for me.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Groot

The community has been very friendly and supportive in my experience, even enemy clans are far nicer than I had expected.

Sad you did not have the same experience, perhaps try again now and see if things are different?

• pete4613pete4613 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    does it have a trial?
  • GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by Groot

The community has been very friendly and supportive in my experience, even enemy clans are far nicer than I had expected.

Sad you did not have the same experience, perhaps try again now and see if things are different?

I played right when it released, so maybe it's gotten better with people that actually want the game to succeed.  Might take another look at it.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by Abuz0r

You start out with all your stats at basic levels, and as you progress, you increase the levels of your stats and abilities.  RATHER than leveling up, you put your points in the ability (for example 2h weapons, or agility, ETC).

Your armor and weapon matters, but not NEARLY as much as the person behind the controls.

When I first started gaming, many years ago 10+, I played runescape, it was the only game I had been introduced to.  I never really liked the combat of the game or the graphics, but I really enjoyed the freedom to do whatever you want any time you want and to change direction at any given time.

Strip the levels off that game so you're always level 1 no matter your stats, make it 3d, improve the graphics past GW2 levels, add open world pvp, add player owned villages and cities (that can be conquered) and you'll be doing darkfall injustice with the comparison.

Anyhow, I find people who haven't tried this game have such strong opinions about it, the reason I was reluctant to try it was the pvp loot system.  After playing the game for some time, the loot system is in perspective.  Taking a gank only sets you back about as badly as a soul sickness on WoW.  

The economy of this game is THRIVING.  Items have durability which can not be repaired.  Monsters drop the same items that can be crafted (although unreliably).  Every item dropped by a monster can be broken down into materials (random break down system), and used to craft a different item.

This means, although you're wearing a 15k set of armor and a 6k weapon, you are already invested in 3 more sets in your bank for the time when yours breaks or you get killed and looted.   When your best of the best armor and weapon is close to breaking, that's normally when you go PvP in it.  Or people who have less interest in pvp can just take it to the workbench and break it down into mats.

The music is wonderful, the scenery is wonderful, download it and give a try.  You might uninstall tomorrow, you might find a new love.  This isn't another half ass MMO with an item mall.

You're not telling us anything we don't already know about Darkfall. 

It's OWPvP with a jacked up loot system.

Nuff' said.

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

There are a few trolls running around intent on destroying your gaming experience, but there's a lot more good people intent on shutting them down.

Most of the time when someone ganks me and it's apparent I was no threat, they resurrect me and wish me luck, instead of looting my gear.  I'm not currently in a clan, I love wandering around aimlessly exploring the crazy vastness of the world and finding little easter eggs here and there.

Originally posted by LacedOpium

Your not telling us anything we don't already know about Darkfall. 

Nuff' said.

People who make posts like this are the ones who really need to try the game, it's clear their mind is virgin to the concept and have a strong but inaccurate preconceived notion.  Give the game a try buddy and you'll see it's not half as big a deal as you're making it out to be.  

Nuff' said.

People who make posts like this are the ones who really need to try the game, it's clear their mind is virgin to the concept and have a strong but inaccurate preconceived notion.  Give the game a try buddy and you'll see it's not half as big a deal as you're making it out to be.  

When you design a game for a niche crowd, a niche subscription base is what you end up with.

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230

actually i tried darkfall ages before your 2 mentions.

and i disliked it even more than ESO and WS

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

Nuff' said.

When you design a game for a niche crowd, a niche subscription base is what you end up with.

When people categorize and judge things without trying them, you end up with closed minded topic trolls who are uninformed about their topic of conversation.  If you ever make the decision to download and try the game, I expect you'd make a blathering apology letter on the forums explaining how much fun you're having on the game you were so prejudicial about.

• ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210

I want to try out the new additions.  If there is a trial hit me up here on pm or email zeymere@

yahoo.com

Ty.

z.

Nuff' said.

When people categorize and judge things without trying them, you end up with closed minded topic trolls who are uninformed about their topic of conversation.  If you ever make the decision to download and try the game, I expect you'd make a blathering apology letter on the forums explaining how much fun you're having on the game you were so prejudicial about.

I have tried it. 

Who is more deserving of an apology now?

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    The real question is....is it newb friendly?
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

improve the graphics past GW2 levels, add open world pvp, add player owned villages and cities (that can be conquered) and you'll be doing darkfall injustice with the comparison.

They are barely at Guildwars Nightfall graphics, mate. I don't care much for either GW:NF or GW2s graphics. I subjectively dislike their aesthetic but they have objectively better textures, animations, particle effects enviromental animations and more freaking polygons.

Whilst you might consider Darkfall a bit more lush than GW:NF it's still a game released in 2013. Guildwars 2 was released on year before Darkfall too.

Darkfall has inexcusably terrible graphics that nothing aside from mechanics and gameplay can make up for. I'm not saying that it's a bad game, I'm saying that you are praising graphics that are terrible. And Guildwars 2 doesn't even come close to modern graphical fidelity!

Darkfall Unholy Wars (2013)

Guildwars Nightfall (2006)

Guildwars 2 (2012)

In short: All these games have pretty terrible graphical fidelity and texture quality. Darkfall does not have amazing graphics. Doesn't matter if the gameplay is fantastic.

Newb friendly is subjective.  The community for the most part is intent on helping newbs.  The game is a no hands-holding experience however.  There's a completely unique interface involved that you will need to learn, and nobody is going to stand there and tell you to remember that Tab opens this window or P opens that window.

99% of the player base treats newbs well, if they beat you in pvp they resurrect you and maybe even give you advice or some gear upgrade to help you out.

I KEEP SEEING MENTIONS OF A FREE TRIAL. NO.

A free trial would bring in thousands of non-serious players without any investment in the game, players that aren't intent on staying do stupid things, stupid things cause a lot of drama.

Having dozens of free trial 14 year olds log in with the sole intention of ganking everyone they see would be very annoying and I'm sure Aventurine takes this into consideration in their decision to not offer a free trial.

If anyone wants to be a ganker troll, they'll have to be a paying customer ganker troll, and that eliminates 94.5% of them.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Agree. Darkfall is the only satisfying MMO on the market right now.
  • funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    I already bought this game back when it was in beta. I think it offers cool sand box things but I dislike the graphics so much and the character animations are horrible. Feels like a game from the late 90s. If the graphics looked better and animation were smooth as themepark games like WoW or SWTOR, then I would like the game.
  • laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I tried it when the game first come out.

Dont' enjoy getting ganked and have all my items taken.  And I dont' find it easy to recvoer gear, or progress early on.

That being said, that was very long time ago.  They probably made new user experience better.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Nuff' said.

The reason a lot of things are niche is because the mainstream demographic doesn't have the attention span to give it an honest try.

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    I'd like to give it a try but having a hard time getting a buddy or trial key.  Any advise on where I can get one?
  • GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    This means, although you're wearing a 15k set of armor and a 6k weapon, you are already invested in 3 more sets in your bank for the time when yours breaks or you get killed and looted.

This sounded like a great game til the above part.

No, no and hell no! I've played EvE and that was enough hate and flustration expended to last me a lifetime. :(

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

There's a lot of information on this site about Darkfall already.  I am glad you are enjoying it, but it's a very different game than Wildstar and ESO.  I'm not sure if people who were drawn to those games would really get into Darkfall.

I appreciate the enthusiam of the OP, but I the tone of the post comes off more like an advertisement than anything else.

• Arkangel32Arkangel32 Member UncommonPosts: 83

I have been meaning to try this for a long time.

I just have not been able to get myself to spend the money to try it.  So many mixed opinions on it and so many other games.

Honestly.. its a tough industry with the FTP market where they let you try it for free and if you like it you can invest your money into the game confortably.  (Not Pay to win games though.)

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Your forgetting about general asshattery, douchebaggery, forced game play style (hunt in masses or be raped) at least this was my game play experience early on and that was in a decent guild.

If you dare venture out solo you are basically dead... even if you are wearing crap gear, players will kill you just to see what else you are carrying (ore, mats, gold, etc)

The concept behind the game is great, however as with any game like this the bullys and asshats will retty much ruin what little enjoyment you can possibly get out of it. Your only other choice is join a guild in which case the guild will pretty much dictate your playstyle due to the safety in numbers aspect.

To all the fanbois who are going to white knight this to death, this was based on my first 90 days of DFUW... it could be a completely different experience for now, but you are going to have to really hard sell me on it.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...