Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

UO + D2 = Albion Online?

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

I've been loosely following Albion Online since day one. Over that time I've started to think of it as UO + Diablo 2. What I want to ask the AO members that are part of this community is, is that accurate? Does it feel similar to those games when you play it? If not what does it feel like? It's been a long time since someone pulled of an isometric MMO, so long that many players might not understand how it feels. So, how does the world feel? Alive? Open? Big? Small? Etc?

I'd like to do a blog about it but having never played it I was going to ask you and see if I could formulate a more directly educated opinion.

Personal note, based on D3's success and the cross platform functionality I can easily see AO sploding all over the MMOsphere.

thanks in advance for any replies, even the trollish ones I'm sure I will recieve

Comments

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Surprised this game doesn't have more followers here.

• VahraneVahrane Alpharetta, GAPosts: 375Member
           I've been signed up for their alpha test for the past 8 or 9 months now and not heard a thing from them besides the recent announcement they're selling founder's packs. Given that this game has very little released info and not very many people have even played it, I don't feel like dropping money on a founders pack to "test" their game. Yea, it looks a good deal like UO, but what made UO truly shine was the large, active community.
  • SornathSornath Streamwood, ILPosts: 5Member Common

UO was the best game ever made in my opinion.  Diablo 1,2,3 were all better than good, just not better than UO.   I haven't had a chance to play Albion Online yet so I have no opinion on gameplay, but as soon as they release this game I will try it.

The website and concept look good and inviting.

• VolumendsVolumends HronovPosts: 40Member Uncommon
    Game looks awesome and I'm looking forward to play it. I hope you will have the same feelings like in old UO days :-)

MSI GE70 - i7-4700MQ, GeForce GT 750M, 8gb ram, 750gb 7200RPM HDD and 128gb SSD

• MenacerxMenacerx Posts: 11Member Uncommon

Sadly the only thing I see when I look at this game is a MOBA.  Now thats my opinion, but that is all I can see.  No WASD movement, only mouse movement, skills look like a MOBA, graphics look like a MOBA, perspective looks like a MOBA, gameplay looks like a MOBA.  And I HATE MOBA's.  

But maybe I am wrong and this game rocks my socks off.  It could happen.

Menacer

• PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,289Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Menacerx

Sadly the only thing I see when I look at this game is a MOBA.  Now thats my opinion, but that is all I can see.  No WASD movement, only mouse movement, skills look like a MOBA, graphics look like a MOBA, perspective looks like a MOBA, gameplay looks like a MOBA.  And I HATE MOBA's.  

Menacer

Unfortunately, your probably right, and when you look at which OS's are supported, its probably going to be mostly focused on 'smart phones' and somehow i am not sure that it will be able to compete with the likes of LOL and DOTA2, its a hard market to break into.image

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,506Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sornath

UO was the best game ever made in my opinion.  Diablo 1,2,3 were all better than good, just not better than UO.   I haven't had a chance to play Albion Online yet so I have no opinion on gameplay, but as soon as they release this game I will try it.

To me UO and Diablo series are apples and oranges - I love both but you cannot really compare them as they are 2 different genres.

MMORPG and ARPG 

Albion Online to me has zero ARPG vibe - I don't get any Diablo vibe from it, sorry OP

• AvanahAvanah Posts: 945Member Uncommon

They updated their site and they have LOTS of footage from the last Alpha. I have not played it myself yet but I will be in the next phase. It looks very promising to me.

Take a look if you wish. Link in my Sig. Thanks all. :)

TGIF...Thank God I'm Female

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...
    One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

• VolumendsVolumends HronovPosts: 40Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Menacerx

Menacer

Unfortunately, your probably right, and when you look at which OS's are supported, its probably going to be mostly focused on 'smart phones' and somehow i am not sure that it will be able to compete with the likes of LOL and DOTA2, its a hard market to break into.image

You are not right guys. Interface looks like MOBA but gameplay is a lot different. The game is mostly for PCs but phone OS's are supported too. I can't imagine how you would fight 15 vs 15 people on phone :-))

MSI GE70 - i7-4700MQ, GeForce GT 750M, 8gb ram, 750gb 7200RPM HDD and 128gb SSD

My hope is it feels like a UO, a worl in which there are very few limits. I don't think it looks moba like but I do think only 6 skills mean combat is probably over simplified.

• VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,969Member Uncommon
    It's nothing like an ARPG (like diablo).. think more along the lines of Lineage 1 or runescape. It's like a normal MMO but with an isometric view. If you zoom out in WoW and tilt the camera up you've basically got the same thing. Obviously the game systems are different.. but they are definitely MMO and not ARPG style.
  • jpnolejpnole Tampa, FLPosts: 1,656Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tierless

I've been loosely following Albion Online since day one. Over that time I've started to think of it as UO + Diablo 2. What I want to ask the AO members that are part of this community is, is that accurate? Does it feel similar to those games when you play it? If not what does it feel like? It's been a long time since someone pulled of an isometric MMO, so long that many players might not understand how it feels. So, how does the world feel? Alive? Open? Big? Small? Etc?

I'd like to do a blog about it but having never played it I was going to ask you and see if I could formulate a more directly educated opinion.

Personal note, based on D3's success and the cross platform functionality I can easily see AO sploding all over the MMOsphere.

thanks in advance for any replies, even the trollish ones I'm sure I will recieve

Albion Online has absolutely nothing in common with UO or D2. Well aside from being in the RPG genre. There are no doubt better comparisons than the 2 games you chose.

Originally posted by jpnole
    Originally posted by Tierless I've been loosely following Albion Online since day one. Over that time I've started to think of it as UO + Diablo 2. What I want to ask the AO members that are part of this community is, is that accurate? Does it feel similar to those games when you play it? If not what does it feel like? It's been a long time since someone pulled of an isometric MMO, so long that many players might not understand how it feels. So, how does the world feel? Alive? Open? Big? Small? Etc? I'd like to do a blog about it but having never played it I was going to ask you and see if I could formulate a more directly educated opinion. Personal note, based on D3's success and the cross platform functionality I can easily see AO sploding all over the MMOsphere. thanks in advance for any replies, even the trollish ones I'm sure I will recieve
    Albion Online has absolutely nothing in common with UO or D2. Well aside from being in the RPG genre. There are no doubt better comparisons than the 2 games you chose.

Not even UO? That is unfortunate if so.

I worry about the lack of moves. I did not like that in GW2. I like having many options on my bar that can change my strat per my target.

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,435Member Uncommon

UO only did a couple things well but overall the game is extremely dated,it was just REALLY great for it's time.Diablo?lol it is a console game and doesn't belong with the big boys.FFXI was made for PS2 and blows the doors off anything Diablo does ,Blizzard was never good making console games.Diablo is simply an ancient overhead view TILE game nothing impressive what so ever,that age went out long ago.

Albion is also too dated,i can't get immersed into a 3D video game when the graphics are below par,it is not real bad no, but still not good enough.

It looks like Albion took a lot of it's ideas from  UO and/or FFXIV from becoming the class of your equipment "so called classless systems to the FFX idea of character advancement/design using the grids.The grid idea is ok but imo nothing more than a TREE design which i have never found to be any good.IMO it takes more effort to make a class system and SHOULD be the design in every game because the gear or FFXIV armory system LIMITS you to one type/set of gear.Hence it is just a time saver idea for cheaper game design.I don't like the speedy design of FFXIV being able to instantly change classes,i believe it should be realistic/plausible,you should have to go home to change to a new class more  like FFXi.

I am also not a big fan of putting too much structure into guild politics,i prefer more effort into the character/mobs and combat ,world design.Imagine one day your guild is doing pvp what then if you don't want pvp go offline,find a PUG and that if PUGS will even exist and the same for grouping.

I see the main attraction being those who want guild-guild pvp something i have no interest in unless done amazingly well.If i did want guild pvp then i would say a better version would be in Runes of Magic but that is a big pay to win version so ya nothing is ever done well in the pvp area of rpg's,no not even in UO.Open world pvp is again a detraction from YOUR game and YOUR story,the game just becomes a pvp game nothing more.

The BIG miss by this team is the notion that questing can ONLY be done as a linear xp design.You NEVER need to remove questing to allow players to form their own story.The real truth is classless and lack of quests is because they are cutting cost on design,.the whole game is using my infamous terminology >>>>a CHEAP game.

Samoan Diamond

• NiburuNiburu BerlinPosts: 378Member Uncommon
    i stopped reading when you said diablo is a console game........unless you think diablo 3 is actually a diablo game and you only know this one

Originally posted by Niburu
    i stopped reading when you said diablo is a console game........unless you think diablo 3 is actually a diablo game and you only know this one

D3 felt nothing like the legend that is D2

• captainamazing57captainamazing57 sydneyPosts: 91Member Uncommon
    The graphics look like they are from 1985. It's now 2014. C'mon seriously?
  • itchmonitchmon west islip, NYPosts: 1,714Member Uncommon

i'm kinda hoping it has either a lineage or a UO feel to it (i've never played UO; it's a hole in my mmo resume IMHO but i loved lineage, both 1 and 2).  If you want a diablo style game you have two great ones; torchlight 2 and path of exile.

Anytime there is a "crafting and pvp sandbox" i will probably try it, and albion is no exception, though to get my money it will have to get through 2 games i like quite a bit (see my sig).  but maybe we will get lucky and the mmo world will have a nother good one on our hands.  If the game delivers on the website's promises, then yeah it will be great.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    I am jumping on this one, looks decent.  Going to buy in at the Legendary level.

• BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Originally posted by jpnole
    Originally posted by Tierless

Got any proof to back up your claim?

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn belleville, ILPosts: 1,702Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano

To me UO and Diablo series are apples and oranges - I love both but you cannot really compare them as they are 2 different genres.

MMORPG and ARPG 

Albion Online to me has zero ARPG vibe - I don't get any Diablo vibe from it, sorry OP

I think I probably agree with this.  Diablo does not seem to be in the same genre to me.

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

• EridanixEridanix Orbital IkraliPosts: 426Member
    Originally posted by Avanah

They updated their site and they have LOTS of footage from the last Alpha. I have not played it myself yet but I will be in the next phase. It looks very promising to me.

Take a look if you wish. Link in my Sig. Thanks all. :)

Well, it's pretty good that you say so but there is no link in your Sig. Maybe you changed your sig and didn't remember. For me it looks a lot like an interesting game and maybe I will play it when released. 

I  played UO for some years when the ·D games where on the market, that's no problem for me. Just a question of tastes and nothing more.

It is a question of fangs.

• wayne84wayne84 saronnoPosts: 4Member
    This game probably is the new UO, when they will put cooking, fishing and taming will be the top of last years... im an alpha tester :)
  • Romulan78Romulan78 Tampa, FLPosts: 97Member
    Originally posted by wayne84
    This game probably is the new UO, when they will put cooking, fishing and taming will be the top of last years... im an alpha tester :)

Really looking forward to this game and will be getting in the Founder Pack as soon as I find out more info on what they plan as far as the headstart that only the legendary tier gets.

Marksman/Bladedancer/Saboteur

Originally posted by Romulan78

Originally posted by wayne84 This game probably is the new UO, when they will put cooking, fishing and taming will be the top of last years... im an alpha tester :)
    Really looking forward to this game and will be getting in the Founder Pack as soon as I find out more info on what they plan as far as the headstart that only the legendary tier gets.

Will they have those in by launch? If not they should wait on launch until they do. If a PVP game lacks depth and diversity is fizzles quickly. You only get one chance at a launch.